Has The American Embassy Been Closed?

mario299

Hi, a Thai lady friend of my wife has been anxiously encouraging her American husband to get some affairs handled at the American Citizen Services at the Embassy on Wireless Road, but he has been telling her that he cannot make the trip (they live in Issan) yet because the Embassy has been closed due to the Red Shirt situation.

This is news to me, I haven't heard that this is the situation, and yes...I could call the Embassy and ask but I thought some of you folks would know the correct answer. I also am trying to stay at least an arms length distance from this, and this lady's husband has been known to enhance the truth on occasion. None of my business, but I am at least curious if this (or any of the embassies on Wireless) are/were closed.

Thanks for any info.

mario299

Call them, you tight git! :)

Yup, like I said, I could call them...then my wife tells her friend I called, then her friend tells him I called, then my desire for "arms length distance" becomes shorter.

Anybody with some knowledge, or more humor?

mario299

I just got off the phone with an Embassy warden that goes to BKK and the Embassy/Consulate on regular visits. He says there never has been a closing of any embassy on Wireless Road during the recent protests in BKK. The US Embassy has been and is open for business as usual.

He said it may be wise to get there from the Rama IV direction in lieu of from the Sukumvit direction.

Nothing about closure on their website http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

It would be wise to make an on-line appointment anyway if travelling a long distance.

Would the consulate in CM be easier?

It looks to me like the OP is out of Prasat which is about 1000km from Chiang Mai and Bangkok is about 400km.

Thanks for all the correct info, and yes, gotlost, both I and "party in question" are from Prasat area, so BKK closer than CM. Appreciate all the good replies, as always

mario299