Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

DRAGONFLY BAR will be Showing all the games, even the 01.30 ones in HD Click for Map

I received my HD box today and as with the regular channels you have the choice of Thai or English commentary. When I ordered it the guy I spoke to said he couldn't guarantee that the world cup would be with English commentary.

This ties up with the email I received from Bangkok.

No-one can give a guarantee because True Visions haven't purchased the commentary!

At least he was honest and didn't offer you a 100% guarantee that you would get it.

As I said before if they were offering English commentary, I honestly think they would make a point of advertising it big time to encourage more subscribers.

As gotlost quite rightly said; "Place your money and wait for the cards to be dealt June 11th".

True are really screwing their customers over. To get the WC you have to upgrade to HD Box.

The sooner some new operator comes the better imo.

I definitely agree with you MR.DB but that ain't going happen in our lifetime.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DRAGONFLY BAR will be Showing all the games, even the 01.30 ones in HD Click for Map

I received my HD box today and as with the regular channels you have the choice of Thai or English commentary. When I ordered it the guy I spoke to said he couldn't guarantee that the world cup would be with English commentary.

No-one can give a guarantee because True Visions haven't purchased the commentary!

At least he was honest and didn't offer you a 100% guarantee that you would get it.

As I said before if they were offering English commentary, I honestly think they would make a point of advertising it big time to encourage more subscribers.

As gotlost quite rightly said; "Place your money and wait for the cards to be dealt June 11th".

True are really screwing their customers over. To get the WC you have to upgrade to HD Box.

No, you can receive it on the free Thai TV channels.

You upgrade to HD to watch it in HD, but that's the picture only - so far True have not bought the commentary in English. (See email from True Bangkok)

I definitely agree with you MR.DB but that ain't going happen in our lifetime.

depends, i want to live awhile longer yet!! :)

You upgrade to HD to watch it in HD, but that's the picture only - so far True have not bought the commentary in English. (See email from True Bangkok)

ok i stand corrected, to get the WC without ads, you must get the HD box

what about the customers, some that have been customers for years, that pay 2000 baht/month for True?

I dont know about you but if i was i a customer of True for years and wanted to see WC as per all football matches, i would be rather peeved to be told to upgrade. (that was the point i was trying to make)

Edited by Donnyboy

jayinoz.

re... true blue ? ? ?

i might be wrong but i think true blue bar shut about four years ago

and has been replaced by the gate house bar

unless theres another one ?

dave2

dave you must have photos of just about every bar in CM :)

Donnyboy - ok i stand corrected, to get the WC without ads, you must get the HD box

what about the customers, some that have been customers for years, that pay 2000 baht/month for True?

I dont know about you but if i was i a customer of True for years and wanted to see WC as per all football matches, i would be rather peeved to be told to upgrade. (that was the point i was trying to make)

Peeved!!!.....I agree with you 100%

If I said what I really think of these bloodsuckers, I'd be banned from TV for life.

Yes that's all you get to date - ad free and HD. I certainly won't subscribe, but if anyone can show me in writing that True have bought and will provide English commentary I will.

I'm not paying 2000 Baht + just to hear someone saying "oh ho" every 10 seconds.

Quote Dannybay: "ok i stand corrected, to get the WC without ads, you must get the HD box

I dont know about you but if i was i a customer of True for years and wanted to see WC as per all football matches, i would be rather peeved to be told to upgrade. (that was the point i was trying to make)"

You don't have to upgrade, with the regular packages you get the Thai channels, so you can watch it there. The ekstra 2000 B is a one time deposit you'll get back when you chansel you subscription. The ekstra fee is 290 B per month and for this you get HBO HD and True Sprts HD. I have the Gold package which dosn't include the ASN sports channel, TS HD shows many of the same shows as ASN, inc. the NHL playoffs and NFL, stuff I want to watch, now I get that for an exstra 290 instead of the 500+ to upgrade to Platinum and i get sports in HD. A good deal me thinks.

I have a 55" LED tv and with the regular TS signal watching football is just no good. I don't know what they do with the signal they recieve from Europe but you get a lot of pixilation an motion artifacts on a big screen here in Thailand, a lot more than from a SD signal in Europe.

Last night i watched the last round of the Spanish PL in HD and man what a difference, I switched back and forth between TS 1 and TS HD a couble of times and there was just no way to compare the quality. Even wifey sat through the entire game, something that never happens, because it looked so good.

I am so impressed that I have decided to bring my own TV to the bar for the world cup since I'll be watching the games there anyway.

Oh I can't wait

Edited by AndersSN

Official e-mail from True confirming world cup has English commentary through the HD promo they are offering.

Spoke to another person and they also confirmed can change to English....

Dear Sir.

Promotion HD 1 Point

INSTALLATION FEE & CONNECTION FEE = 0 Baht

EQUIPMENT DEPOSIT (็็HD) = 4,000 Baht

Monthly Fee (Gold) = 1,412.97 Baht

Monthly Rental Fee = 282.48 Baht

HD service fee 290 Baht per Month (Free HD service fee Promotion untill 31/7/2010)

*** Broadcasted World Cup 2010 HD in Thai commentary can be converted into English

Tel.08*********

The lady's name is Nutjaree and I have her e-mail at TRUE corp and her phone number should True go back on their word. (Installation is 4000bht as I don't have UBC now)

Official e-mail from True confirming world cup has English commentary through the HD promo they are offering.

Spoke to another person and they also confirmed can change to English....

Dear Sir.

Promotion HD 1 Point

INSTALLATION FEE & CONNECTION FEE = 0 Baht

EQUIPMENT DEPOSIT (็็HD) = 4,000 Baht

Monthly Fee (Gold) = 1,412.97 Baht

Monthly Rental Fee = 282.48 Baht

HD service fee 290 Baht per Month (Free HD service fee Promotion untill 31/7/2010)

*** Broadcasted World Cup 2010 HD in Thai commentary can be converted into English

Tel.08*********

The lady's name is Nutjaree and I have her e-mail at TRUE corp and her phone number should True go back on their word. (Installation is 4000bht as I don't have UBC now)

Now this sounds more interesting.

Could you pm her email and phone number please? :)

Quote Dannybay: "ok i stand corrected, to get the WC without ads, you must get the HD box

I dont know about you but if i was i a customer of True for years and wanted to see WC as per all football matches, i would be rather peeved to be told to upgrade. (that was the point i was trying to make)"

You don't have to upgrade, with the regular packages you get the Thai channels, so you can watch it there. The ekstra 2000 B is a one time deposit you'll get back when you chansel you subscription. The ekstra fee is 290 B per month and for this you get HBO HD and True Sprts HD. I have the Gold package which dosn't include the ASN sports channel, TS HD shows many of the same shows as ASN, inc. the NHL playoffs and NFL, stuff I want to watch, now I get that for an exstra 290 instead of the 500+ to upgrade to Platinum and i get sports in HD. A good deal me thinks.

I have a 55" LED tv and with the regular TS signal watching football is just no good. I don't know what they do with the signal they recieve from Europe but you get a lot of pixilation an motion artifacts on a big screen here in Thailand, a lot more than from a SD signal in Europe.

Last night i watched the last round of the Spanish PL in HD and man what a difference, I switched back and forth between TS 1 and TS HD a couble of times and there was just no way to compare the quality. Even wifey sat through the entire game, something that never happens, because it looked so good.

I am so impressed that I have decided to bring my own TV to the bar for the world cup since I'll be watching the games there anyway.

Oh I can't wait

kop koon krap Lagoon-flie-Baa

I have just signed up for the true HD package and it went as follows:

As I am already a Gold subscriber it cost 2000thb deposit for the HD receiver (4000thb if new customer or silver package customer)

I have to keep UBC for another 6 months ( Ive had it 5 years so no problem) in order to get my 4000thb deposit back ( 2000thb for the HD and 2000 thb for my origional Gold package deposit)

I got a promotion on the HD package (before 31st may) sign up for 6 month and you pay 290thb for the first 3 month and then you get the last 3 month free.

After the 6 month you can cancel the HD package and just keep with the origional Gold package that I have anyway.

They took my old receiver box and replaced it with the HD box on set up.

So in effect with the promotion I get to see the World Cup games for under 900thb, pretty good value IMHO.

When Ive had enough of UBC i just cancel as long as its after 6 month to get my deposit back as normal.

Ive also been 100% guarenteed that the HD channel and all the World cup games will be in English.

So happy days!

Great info thanks, doesn't seem like such a bad deal if put this way. 150/month is OK. I definitely want to see it in HD, might even buy a humongous LCD TV, twist my arm to buy a new gadget...

As for the commentary, I don't understand why people make such a fuss about it. If you miss English commentary, go sit in a bar with a few drunk expats - they'll be more entertaining, and probably also better informed than the morons who get to do it on live TV. I need the sound - football without sound sucks, and that's also why I imagine delayed internet radio sound to be terrible - but the commentary, at least most of the time, is worthless. Other than oooohhh and ahhh, and boring stories about games back when nobody cares, or even more boring (and also completely irrelevant) statistics, they offer nothing. Game insight - certainly not.

Well can't really blame them. There's no bigger selling opportunity for HD service than the WC. Also if you have ever seen anything in HD, and love football, you will want it in HD. It just looks amazing compared to normal SD, let alone the garbage extra-pixelated SD True offers.

Just had my HD box put in.

The engineer, when asked in Thai by my better half, said that World Cup commentary on HD will be in Thai only.

When I challenged this he phoned in and came back with 'mai na jai' (we are not sure). He hinted to my wife that what they say on the phone to customers may not always be true! Shock, horror!

As to picture quality, it is excellent. Better than I remember Sky HD in the UK...however that may just be because I am now used to the very average picture quality of UBC in general.

donneyboy.

re.. dave you must have photos of just about every bar in CM

nahhh .... but im working on it as i have all the time in the world to do it : )

dave2

ps ... i think the half moon will probably be showing it but see steve to make sure !

donneyboy.

re.. dave you must have photos of just about every bar in CM

nahhh .... but im working on it as i have all the time in the world to do it : )

dave2

ps ... i think the half moon will probably be showing it but see steve to make sure !

are you gonna publish a pub book or something? :)

Right so the defos are.....

Tuskers

Dragonfly

Half Moon

Have I missed any other defos?

The ones I think will have it and in English are....

Chiangmai Saloon? Olde Bell? Number 1? John's place? The Wall? U.N Irish? Queen Vic? The sports bar at the Night Bazaar?

I'll try and check some of these establishments this coming week, would have done tmrw for Champs lge final, but obv unable due to curfew.

Would love to watch some matches round JJ, but doubt any English commentary there.

Please post and more defos that any of you may know.

Cheers

Oh I can't wait

Make sure you tell the staff though - I walked past last night and mentioned the half price drinks if I wear my shirt and they didn't seem to understand or know :)

Make sure you tell the staff though - I walked past last night and mentioned the half price drinks if I wear my shirt and they didn't seem to understand or know :D

probably only applies to WC games :)

time to stock up on a few different nations jerseys me thinks :D

btw you football fans consider yourselves lucky you get to see football, us rugby fans are left in the dark with no signals from DSTV. Well there was no signal for the S14 semi finals last night :D

Edited by Donnyboy

Make sure you tell the staff though - I walked past last night and mentioned the half price drinks if I wear my shirt and they didn't seem to understand or know :D

probably only applies to WC games :D

btw you football fans consider yourselves lucky you get to see football, us rugby fans are left in the dark with no signals from DSTV. Well there was no signal for the S14 semi finals last night :D

:) yeeees I know that... I just asked when the WC starts and I wear my shirt (which I now have - horray!) are they offering half-price drinks and they all looked at me as if I were pee baa (which I may be but that's a different story).

Be nice if we all met at ONE bar and had a crowd of us?

:) yeeees I know that... I just asked when the WC starts and I wear my shirt (which I now have - horray!) are they offering half-price drinks and they all looked at me as if I were pee baa (which I may be but that's a different story).

it sure beats sitting & cheering alone, i hate that :D

One things for sure, there will a lot of <deleted> off people if they have promised commentary in English and don't deliver!

If I had been lied to, would take them to court with the evidence of the e-mail I have as false representation. You just know that if you call them on 12th June if there is no English commentary it will take an eternity to get the 4000bht deposit back; cause this will be the last straw for me!

Will be withholding payments for the month of June/July just in case.... Usually they give you two months grace before cutting you off.

it sure beats sitting & cheering alone, i hate that :D

if people were interested we could change bars for games - or all meet at one - one bar I will NOT go to though is the half moon.

Ye, I'm up for that.... Tuskers seem to be on the ball, so to speak. Chaz, the owner is on about having sports quiz etc... in-between matches.

Never watched a match in half moon, although heard bad reports about the staff there!

yea that's what I mean... the staff - the owner or managers 'wife or whatever' is really rude - I won't drink there

Tuskers is fine - not sure about 'inbetween matches' as they start at 1.30 or 2.00am and I can sit through one but not two (assuming you meant 2 matches following each other rather than days apart).

Ye, I'm up for that.... Tuskers seem to be on the ball, so to speak. Chaz, the owner is on about having sports quiz etc... in-between matches.

Never watched a match in half moon, although heard bad reports about the staff there!

top bloke that Chaz!! :) (hes really a rugby supporter) :D

top bloke that Chaz!! :) (hes really a rugby supporter) :D

Rugby? isn't that that minority sport with a funny shaped ball? haha