Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

I'm no tech expert, but there is a bar in BKK called the crossbar. The owner has set up a slingbox in the UK. I think this transmits a signal to receive TV from there to here or something.

Maybe a bit late in the day to sort it, but has anyone thought of doing this?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no tech expert, but there is a bar in BKK called the crossbar. The owner has set up a slingbox in the UK. I think this transmits a signal to receive TV from there to here or something.

Maybe a bit late in the day to sort it, but has anyone thought of doing this?

Yea but it is illegal therefor TV will slap our pinkie if we talked about it. :)

Edited by gotlost

Yes I looked into slingbox, maybe the internet connections available in BK are better but I have been assured by people who have it set up in CM that there is no way it would be of broadcast quality in a bar. Passable for although not perfect by any means for watching at home on your PC but that's about it.

Sorry Bangkok Blue.

Thought it maybe the case. Have just spoke to the channel scheduler at WETV, new channels from Monday.... That crap DD sports from India and Dubai Sports will replace supersports. Tried to see if Dubai sports will show world cup, but all in Arabic and think Al-jazeera have the rights anyway. No go on Astro as signal not available in the north.

Advised her that DD sports only shows sport from India and also asked her if there is any option of finding a channel that will broadcast the world cup in English. She will speak to her tech guys and let me know....

Thought it maybe the case. Have just spoke to the channel scheduler at WETV, new channels from Monday.... That crap DD sports from India and Dubai Sports will replace supersports. Tried to see if Dubai sports will show world cup, but all in Arabic and think Al-jazeera have the rights anyway. No go on Astro as signal not available in the north.

Advised her that DD sports only shows sport from India and also asked her if there is any option of finding a channel that will broadcast the world cup in English. She will speak to her tech guys and let me know....

Keep dreeeeeeeeeeeeeaming. :)

Ive just signed up for this Link and for 5 pounds a month you can log on to your computer with an english IP address anywhere in the world. Then if you know someone who has a sky contract in the UK ask them to add online viewing. They then just need to give you the password and username and you can watch all skysports coverage etc free. If your computer has an hdmi output and your TV has an hdmi input join them together and bingo world cup in english from Sky sports in Thailand on a big TV or if you just wish to get English commentry off five live etc this will be enabled also. Just wish i had learnt about this before signing up for True's HD package...lol

P.s I am using an AIS super G3 aircard for this and it streams perfect.

Edited by thaimiller

That DD Sports is absolute gash though! Would sooner watch the Rolf Harris beard growing channel than the tosh they show on there! It's all youth and Indian sporting events only!

Have advised her Al-Jazeera sports is on same satellite as Dubai sports! Nilesat 1 7.0W, it's a long shot but while there is time there's hope.

On another note Milton, if you have two UBC boxes or a decent stereo system we may be able to get English commentary on Easy FM 105.5, but only for games shown on channel 3.... Better than nothing.

Englands first match will be a 2am kick off here in Chiang Mai.

My question is are the bars/pubs whatever allowed to be open by law?

Iain

My Wife's Restuarant will be showing all the matches via True HD on her new 50" tv screen.

Not sure about giving the location what with "sponsors" etc but it is inside the city moat.

Hopefully the e mail link is ok , then anyone can e mail for more information

Joy

Cheers

Richard & Joy

Are you the guy with a bar down past the Chinese medicine place (over the moat, straight on from Loi Kroh

then left at the Chinese medicine place (we chatted last week)?

David

Hi Dave,

Yes, thats us.

Good location description as well (going away from Loi Kroh. ie up the one way street)

50" hd Plasma in an workin

BIG beer fridge in and stocked (with lots of "match night" special prices)

HD Box on route

JoyRestaurant.jpg

Cheers

Richard & Joy

Ive just signed up for this Link and for 5 pounds a month you can log on to your computer with an english IP address anywhere in the world. Then if you know someone who has a sky contract in the UK ask them to add online viewing. They then just need to give you the password and username and you can watch all skysports coverage etc free. If your computer has an hdmi output and your TV has an hdmi input join them together and bingo world cup in english from Sky sports in Thailand on a big TV or if you just wish to get English commentry off five live etc this will be enabled also. Just wish i had learnt about this before signing up for True's HD package...lol

Never heard of logmein.com then?

Dougie at Bargin Booze on Ratchwithee confirmed last night that he is buying the UBC package. Will have the English commentary and will be in high definition.

Just remember your English commentary when you do not have it. :)

:)

Yes I looked into slingbox, maybe the internet connections available in BK are better but I have been assured by people who have it set up in CM that there is no way it would be of broadcast quality in a bar. Passable for although not perfect by any means for watching at home on your PC but that's about it.

Sorry Bangkok Blue.

Slingbox can be of good quality. You have to buffer the stream, meaning that when the program starts and the signal is being sent to you you let it run for 1/2 hour to 1 hour to buffer the stream. This will hopefully allow for the program to run without stopping and rebuffering.

Dougie at Bargin Booze on Ratchwithee confirmed last night that he is buying the UBC package. Will have the English commentary and will be in high definition.

Someone hasn't been reading the threads.

Someone hasn't been reading the threads.

Another example of someone who needs glasses. :)

Never heard of logmein.com then?

No mate I haven't

Like I'm going give you my user name and password for a service I pay for and for you to use illegally free. :)

Like I'm going give you my user name and password for a service I pay for and for you to use illegally free. :)

Well my mate in the UK has done it for me, I must be a trustable fella with good mates, :D

Well my mate in the UK has done it for me, I must be a trustable fella with good mates, :D

Only in your circle. Outside could be another question. :D

Schedule of all matches brought to you by RS the company that will not let you have English. :D

http://www.rs.co.th/FIFA2010/fifa_program.html

Can also be found here with the correct kickoff time as well, it doesn't surprise me that RS didn't get that right either :)

If it doesn't show the Thai time click the small clock above and right of the group A box

Edited by AndersSN

Can also be found here with the correct kickoff time as well, it doesn't surprise me that RS didn't get that right either :)

If it doesn't show the Thai time click the small clock above and right of the group A box

Those are really nice times!! No clash with office work, but still a good excuse to stay out late.. Who cares about the commentary. Heck, who cares about the matches.. :D

Those are really nice times!! No clash with office work, but still a good excuse to stay out late.. Who cares about the commentary. Heck, who cares about the matches.. :D

I'm with you 100%

And to think the thais regard the buffalo as a stupid annimal

found this WC predicition based on a countrys GDP, economic data- interesting

And if it's got Serbia in the semis, probably wildly inaccurate. If you want to know who's going to win, look what the bookies offer.

They don't make money for nothing.

Ignore the English bookies as far as England's concerned, because people stupidly bet them all the time so the price is ridiculously low.

If they stay apart, though, it's hard to see past a Brazil/Spain final, with Italy, Argentina and Germany sniffing around as usual.