Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

found this WC predicition based on a countrys GDP, economic data- interesting

And if it's got Serbia in the semis, probably wildly inaccurate. If you want to know who's going to win, look what the bookies offer.

They don't make money for nothing.

Ignore the English bookies as far as England's concerned, because people stupidly bet them all the time so the price is ridiculously low.

If they stay apart, though, it's hard to see past a Brazil/Spain final, with Italy, Argentina and Germany sniffing around as usual.

He finds it interesting because NZ goes through from the group stages in second place ahead of Paraguay and Slovakia, he is a Kiwi after all :)

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if it's got Serbia in the semis, probably wildly inaccurate. If you want to know who's going to win, look what the bookies offer.

Ignore the English bookies as far as England's concerned, because people stupidly bet them all the time so the price is ridiculously low.

If they stay apart, though, it's hard to see past a Brazil/Spain final, with Italy, Argentina and Germany sniffing around as usual.

there's all sorts can happen at a world cup. not many bookies had south korea and turkey as semi-finalists in 2002 for example.

serbia aren't a bad dark horse bet at all this time around. each way of course like.

Will be looking out for where the best atmosphere places are along with big screen. I remember in 2006 True Blue had great atmosphere and no fights or issues in the few days I watched it......

Yet the premises are a bit small....

Larger premises with more people with a big screen is what I will be looking for this year.

Where is the largest place?

Tuskers of course ,best atmosphere , best food ,best beer and last but not least best hosts. Sorry I am stuck here in blighty hope you all enjoy .

Tuskers seem to be making the best effort to make the WC fun. :)

He finds it interesting because NZ goes through from the group stages in second place ahead of Paraguay and Slovakia, he is a Kiwi after all :D

well you found it interesting enough to have a closer look at it :) besides, most kiwis are happy we made it to the finals, not bad for a sport that falls behind rugby in NZ for budget, popularity etc and with a population of 4 Million

remember its based on the countries GDP economic figures not form

there's all sorts can happen at a world cup. not many bookies had south korea and turkey as semi-finalists in 2002 for example.

serbia aren't a bad dark horse bet at all this time around. each way of course like.

not many would have picked Italy last time to win it

so i agree, the WC can throw up the unexpected

NZ is a long shot to win any games but im happy we're there :)

not many would have picked Italy last time to win it

so i agree, the WC can throw up the unexpected

NZ is a long shot to win any games but im happy we're there :)

I'm happy you're there too....but tell them to kick the ball under the bar. :D

Often watch PL at the Nong Hoi Miguels, and my waitress informed me last night they she is working until the semi and final our over. Think they close at 11, but at least they have HD.

Most matches don't start until 11 do they?

Often watch PL at the Nong Hoi Miguels, and my waitress informed me last night they she is working until the semi and final our over. Think they close at 11, but at least they have HD.

Ah yer- the bars will need to pay tea money to police to stay open until 5am. Who is going to be open throughout- not many is my guess. Maybe until 1-2am- one match nightly.

Who knows for sure whom will be open apart from the noise of Spicy, etc. HD on big screen sounds great- if they going to be open for most matches...

Tuskers of course ,best atmosphere , best food ,best beer and last but not least best hosts. Sorry I am stuck here in blighty hope you all enjoy .

Tuskers seem to be making the best effort to make the WC fun. :D

Yes I never been there- should drop in for an inspection of the facilities.... :) Big question is will they be open till 5am? I think the matches will conclude for the night around then??? Not 100% on thai time Vs South Africa. This link states 4 hours behind so that means matches start approx 12:30AM + weather. I do not remember them being that late of a start last WC in CMai.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=56

Africa time 8:30PM and 10:30PM...1PM and 6PM often also. So pretty scattered to view many live. Prime time games will be 6PM and 8:30PM I would guess- meaning 10PM and 12:30AM Thai Live time.

Edited by jayinoz

I signed up for True HD today. I had to call Bangkok to reserve a HD box, which will be available next week. The lady there was very efficient and helpful and explained that since I already have a box which had a 2000 baht deposit on it, the new box would require an extra 2000 baht deposit , since the HD box has a deposit rate of 4,000b. The monthly HD channel fee is 290 per month but is free until end July, so starts 1st August - minimum contract 6 months. She rang me back to let me know that there is no English commentary on the world cup, and she wanted to be clear that I knew that. In the office at Siam TV I asked about the World Cup licence fee from RS (required by all bars/restaurants except noodle and Somtam shops!) and she said that if you had True HD you didn't need one.

I'm happy you're there too....but tell them to kick the ball under the bar. :D

haha im sure they got that part right, they even know how to celebrate a win also ie hugs and kisses like (soccer players) footballers :)

Edited by Donnyboy

Ah yer- the bars will need to pay tea money to police to stay open until 5am. Who is going to be open throughout- not many is my guess. Maybe until 1-2am- one match nightly.

Who knows for sure whom will be open apart from the noise of Spicy, etc. HD on big screen sounds great- if they going to be open for most matches...

i reckon the huge screen @ siam tv will show the WC, imagine all the ppl outside there The BIB cant close that :)

Tuskers seem to be making the best effort to make the WC fun. :D

Yes I never been there- should drop in for an inspection of the facilities.... :) Big question is will they be open till 5am? I think the matches will conclude for the night around then??? Not 100% on thai time Vs South Africa. This link states 4 hours behind so that means matches start approx 12:30AM + weather. I do not remember them being that late of a start last WC in CMai.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=56

Africa time 8:30PM and 10:30PM...1PM and 6PM often also. So pretty scattered to view many live. Prime time games will be 6PM and 8:30PM I would guess- meaning 10PM and 12:30AM Thai Live time.

just click the link on post #191 on the FIFA page theres a little clock icon above the game schedule, click it for KO in Thailand time, or where ever you are located.

Can also be found here with the correct kickoff time as well, it doesn't surprise me that RS didn't get that right either :)

If it doesn't show the Thai time click the small clock above and right of the group A box

Great link, thanks!! This is much better than I thought, many 9pm kick offs, woo hoo!!

In the office at Siam TV I asked about the World Cup licence fee from RS (required by all bars/restaurants except noodle and Somtam shops!) and she said that if you had True HD you didn't need one.

Now that is good news IF True!!

Am still waiting for confirmation back from RS about this.

HD box installed yesterday,

What can I say but AWSOME!

French Open in hd on 50" tv is just the start.

Roll On Friday week

Cheers

Richard

So sad that the Stanley Cup isn't in HD. :)

Or Moto GP, Or F1

I'm sure it will be soon. They had HD F1 on Sky Italia last year (although this year they seem to have abandoned F1 altogether - cost cutting I presume).

The Maple Leaf (opp. Guitarman) will doubtless be showing late games - advertising them anyway, and he's got HD.

http://www.mapleleaf-bar.com/calendar/webcal.html

Edited by Chicog

In the office at Siam TV I asked about the World Cup licence fee from RS (required by all bars/restaurants except noodle and Somtam shops!) and she said that if you had True HD you didn't need one.

Now that is good news IF True!!

Am still waiting for confirmation back from RS about this.

HD box installed yesterday,

What can I say but AWSOME!

French Open in hd on 50" tv is just the start.

Roll On Friday week

Cheers

Richard

Have a look here for the difference in quality!

Ta Ta

Richard

had a beer at tuskers tonight and my goodness that place looks fantastic for the world cup. flags and banners all round the bar, dedicated darkened room with a 50" plasma for the games, it looks absolutely brilliant. well looking forward to watching the world cup there now.

As of now, we still have Supersport via WETV. I suspect they may be getting the signal from elsewhere in Africa and maybe not affected by the signal change as they may have just changed the satellite for S.A only.... Either that or maybe they have got a slingbox put in?!

Fingers crossed! :s

had a beer at tuskers tonight and my goodness that place looks fantastic for the world cup. flags and banners all round the bar, dedicated darkened room with a 50" plasma for the games, it looks absolutely brilliant. well looking forward to watching the world cup there now.

Sitting at the bar in Tuskers now and the new TV setup looks awesome.

No doubt for me I'll be watching it all here :)

As of now, we still have Supersport via WETV. I suspect they may be getting the signal from elsewhere in Africa and maybe not affected by the signal change as they may have just changed the satellite for S.A only.... Either that or maybe they have got a slingbox put in?!

Fingers crossed! :s

i would doubt it

but who knows keep us posted if WETV keeps supersports, there are some international rugby matches this weekend

Sitting at the bar in Tuskers now and the new TV setup looks awesome.

No doubt for me I'll be watching it all here :)

are you sleeping in there till kick off? laugh.gif

Has the 'English' commentary found a work-around yet? is Tuskers having English commentary?

I could tell you where to get English commentary but my post would just be deleted as the place isn't Tuskers and TV don't want rival advertising to their paying customers (which I can understand):)

Has the 'English' commentary found a work-around yet? is Tuskers having English commentary?

I could tell you where to get English commentary but my post would just be deleted as the place isn't Tuskers and TV don't want rival advertising to their paying customers (which I can understand):)

You can me PM with the details if you like!

Cheers

Richard