Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

I need the sound but the commentary is useless anwyay. If you're sitting in a bar full of farangs the commentary will be much better from the locals than from the TV.

I believe that most matches will happen late at night right? Does anybody know whether there will be replays the following morning, for us honest working folks who maybe can't really stay up until 3am every night?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need the sound but the commentary is useless anwyay. If you're sitting in a bar full of farangs the commentary will be much better from the locals than from the TV.
I agree.

Some of the annoying comments from Premier League commentators

1. After a player was tackled in the box

"He could have gone down there, there was contact" (comment from a former hard man, bustling centre forward) meaning "he could have dived".

2. "That's a straight red - the ref has no choice, he did raise his hand." After a player has fallen over, writhing in agony clutching his face, following a brush of the hand against his cheek.

3. "That was off-side for me" . How could it be offside for you , you idiot, you're not playing!

4. "He's been a good servant for the club". Servant? On 50,000 pounds a week!

No comparison to the banter in a bar, or better still at the game.

Well it's all gone tits up now! Will be no English commentary as another TV member has contacted that bird who originally e-mailed me confirming English commentary and has now gone back on her word. So it's internet/radio if you can't do without!

Piss up and brewery spring to mind! :):D:D

Well it's all gone tits up now! Will be no English commentary as another TV member has contacted that bird who originally e-mailed me confirming English commentary and has now gone back on her word. So it's internet/radio if you can't do without!

Piss up and brewery spring to mind! :):D:D

I toooooold yoooooou so. :D

That's cool Chaz! Will you also be showing the 1:30am kick offs?

know supersport is no more from 31st, has anyone come up with an alternative yet?

None that are legal and that can be discussed on TV. UBC has the contract to broadcast the WC 2010 in English for Thailand. The question is what bars are going to lay out another 4000 baht deposit and 500 baht extra per month for two extra channels just to show a sporting advent that mostly will be after midnight local time . Plus with the drastic decrease of the tourist section the revenew has droped off drasticaly. So ask the bar owners that have UBC (red dish) what they are going to do. :)

thas wrong owd cocker,thi is no english commentary,tha can beleev me or not up ta thee,but thad berrer scratch up on thee thai old lad,an if tha gus an gets hd from true thas as daft as a brush,cos its same team, R S who are in charge oft raights ter show footy,if tha dunt believe us al bet thee a quid am rait,ubc dunt ev t contract,ther showinn same as telly,nar then, ars tha like them fer apples,if tha bin an got ubc thas bin dun

know supersport is no more from 31st, has anyone come up with an alternative yet?

None that are legal and that can be discussed on TV. UBC has the contract to broadcast the WC 2010 in English for Thailand. The question is what bars are going to lay out another 4000 baht deposit and 500 baht extra per month for two extra channels just to show a sporting advent that mostly will be after midnight local time . Plus with the drastic decrease of the tourist section the revenew has droped off drasticaly. So ask the bar owners that have UBC (red dish) what they are going to do. :)

thas wrong owd cocker,thi is no english commentary,tha can beleev me or not up ta thee,but thad berrer scratch up on thee thai old lad,an if tha gus an gets hd from true thas as daft as a brush,cos its same team, R S who are in charge oft raights ter show footy,if tha dunt believe us al bet thee a quid am rait,ubc dunt ev t contract,ther showinn same as telly,nar then, ars tha like them fer apples,if tha bin an got ubc thas bin dun

are you sure you need the english commentary? :D

are you sure you need the english commentary? :D

I never did. :D

Cool...

So that's half moon and tuskers for sure so far.... I actually called TRUE today and they guaranteed 100% if get HD you get English commentary.

Please everybody post and bars that you know will have this so we can all enjoy the world cup!

I'd like to hear it directly from Chas that you will get commentary for sure in English at Tuskers.

I'd be very surprised if he could offer the same guarantee as you.

Well, since you asked so nicely Uptheos here it is. :)

Like others, Tuskers were 'guaranteed' an English commentary option on first enquiring about the HD Box. This guarantee was repeated no less than 5 times right up to and including at installation. In retrospect I now wish I had written 'Subject to promised English commentary' on the contract (Doh!). In my view True Visions have deliberately misled the English speaking public in order to get sales of their HD system. I am sure there are many that would agree with this.

I would be interested in hearing by PM from anyone that feels they have been equally misled and has purchased the HD box. I know we probably won't get anywhere with it but there are still steps that can be taken and the more subscribers we have prepared to complain the better chance we have of getting something back. Also I would like to lobby True to have a game noise but no Thai commentary option played on their second audio channel. That way we can get the atmosphere of the games without having to listen to Thai commentators.

Almost certainly there will be no English commentary. C'est la vie there is still a World Cup to watch and I can't wait.

Tuskers World Cup promotions are now set up and we are looking to make it a great occasion for all our customers. We have two promotional games running the length of the tournament, Fantasy Football and a Prediction Pool. We also have two match by match competitions for customers to play to win prizes and discounts.

There is a different food and drink promotion every day and the pub will be decked out with flags and banners. The World Cup is the greatest sporting occasion on earth and we intend to pay it the attention it deserves.

Full details of Tuskers World Cup Promotions are here. I hope you like them.

Edited by miltonbentley

Like others, Tuskers were 'guaranteed' an English commentary option on first enquiring about the HD Box. This guarantee was repeated no less than 5 times right up to and including at installation. In retrospect I now wish I had written 'Subject to promised English commentary' on the contract (Doh!). In my view True Visions have deliberately misled the English speaking public in order to get sales of their HD system. I am sure there are many that would agree with this.

I would be interested in hearing by PM from anyone that feels they have been equally misled and has purchased the HD box. I know we probably won't get anywhere with it but there are still steps that can be taken and the more subscribers we have prepared to complain the better chance we have of getting something back. Also I would like to lobby True to have a game noise but no Thai commentary option played on their second audio channel. That way we can get the atmosphere of the games without having to listen to Thai commentators.

Almost certainly there will be no English commentary it. C'est la vie there is still a World Cup to watch and I can't wait.

Tuskers World Cup promotions are now set up and we are looking to make it a great occasion for all our customers. We have two promotional games running the length of the tournament, Fantasy Football and a Prediction Pool. We also have two match by match competitions for customers to play to win prizes and discounts.

There is a different food and drink promotion every day and the pub will be decked out with flags and banners. The World Cup is the greatest sporting occasion on earth and we intend to pay it the attention it deserves.

Thank you very much for your swift and honest reply.

In the view of no English commentary, it seems that enjoying the WC with others at Tuskers is the way to go. :D

Almost certainly there will be no English commentary it. C'est la vie there is still a World Cup to watch and I can't wait.

In the view of no English commentary, it seems that enjoying the WC with others at Tuskers is the way to go. :D

So to get the English commentary on UBC so have to pay for HD? Heard it's 2000bht + 290 a mth if already a gold / platinum customer.... Some have posted elsewhere that TRUE is HD but not in English!

I thank your information on price is correct but the HD sport channel that UBC has is the only channel with English. UBC is advertising this.

sumbodys not lisnin, no english on u b c

So to get the English commentary on UBC so have to pay for HD? Heard it's 2000bht + 290 a mth if already a gold / platinum customer.... Some have posted elsewhere that TRUE is HD but not in English!

I thank your information on price is correct but the HD sport channel that UBC has is the only channel with English. UBC is advertising this.

sumbodys not lisnin, no english on u b c

Little late getting on the band wagon. Those post are 18 days old. :)

Almost certainly there will be no English commentary. C'est la vie there is still a World Cup to watch and I can't wait.

that looks bloody excellent. there's some effort gone into that, looks superb.

one point about the english commentary incidentally - it might turn out that it's impossible to hear the commentary anyway, english, thai or otherwise, since every fan in the stadium is likely to be blowing one of those bloody vuvuzela horns. :D

that looks bloody excellent. there's some effort gone into that, looks superb.

one point about the english commentary incidentally - it might turn out that it's impossible to hear the commentary anyway, english, thai or otherwise, since every fan in the stadium is likely to be blowing one of those bloody vuvuzela horns. :D

Agreed, a lot of effort and well worth supporting.

Maybe Chas is supplying vuvuzela horns too?

If England make the final I'll provide a bloody orchestra :)

You heard it here folks.

Will there be a fat lady singing too?

if england get to the final i reckon she'd be drowned out by the fat men singing really.

If England make the final I'll provide a bloody orchestra :D

You heard it here folks.

Will there be a fat lady singing too?

if england get to the final i reckon she'd be drowned out by the fat men singing really.

:):D

Official e-mail from True confirming world cup has English commentary through the HD promo they are offering.

Spoke to another person and they also confirmed can change to English....

Dear Sir.

Promotion HD 1 Point

INSTALLATION FEE & CONNECTION FEE = 0 Baht

EQUIPMENT DEPOSIT (็็HD) = 4,000 Baht

Monthly Fee (Gold) = 1,412.97 Baht

Monthly Rental Fee = 282.48 Baht

HD service fee 290 Baht per Month (Free HD service fee Promotion untill 31/7/2010)

*** Broadcasted World Cup 2010 HD in Thai commentary can be converted into English

Tel.08*********

The lady's name is Nutjaree and I have her e-mail at TRUE corp and her phone number should True go back on their word. (Installation is 4000bht as I don't have UBC now)

Now this sounds more interesting.

Could you pm her email and phone number please? :)

thas both as daft as a brush,if tha beleevs thais thall beleev owt,

This will all be settled on June 11th at kick off. Personally I give odds of 10 to 1 against English. Wait and see. In the mean time tomorrow night at midnight on Star Sports on Truevision (UBC) Live. The Indianapolis 500 from the US.

This will all be settled on June 11th at kick off. Personally I give odds of 10 to 1 against English. Wait and see. In the mean time tomorrow night at midnight on Star Sports on Truevision (UBC) Live. The Indianapolis 500 from the US.

Yep, no point in speculating until then, though I'd like to have a few bob against English.

The Indy 500, 200 laps of going around in circles - never could figure out why it's such a spectacle. I understand the track seats something like a quarter of a million people?

Yep, no point in speculating until then, though I'd like to have a few bob against English.

The Indy 500, 200 laps of going around in circles - never could figure out why it's such a spectacle. I understand the track seats something like a quarter of a million people?

Spectacle.. THE WRECKS at over 260MPH or 416KMP. :D 250 thousand people. Thats a lot of beer and hotdogs (proper dogs). :)

Spectacle.. THE WRECKS at over 260MPH or 416KMP. :D 250 thousand people. Thats a lot of beer and hotdogs (proper dogs). :)

At that speed you can make the other guys crash just by overtaking to fast.

At that speed you can make the other guys crash just by overtaking to fast.

A field of 30 cars and two of the drivers are women. :D