Where Can I Buy Sheep For Breeding Purpose?

Tornado

Im looking to buy about 10 sheep, so as to breed them and sell the lamb/mutton. Is there any farms in Thailand now? names and contacts would be appreciated.

I have a prawn farm that is going nowhere fast and I have 15 cows (I started with 4), Just looking to do something new - a change to the rural life has been on the table for a couple of years, so I would like to have something to do whilst there.

any info appreciated. :o

Im looking to buy about 10 sheep,  so as to breed them and sell the lamb/mutton. Is there any farms in Thailand now? names and contacts would be appreciated.

I have a prawn farm that is going nowhere fast and I have 15 cows (I started with 4), Just looking to do something new - a change to the rural life has been on the table for a couple of years, so I would like to have something to do whilst there.

any info appreciated.  :D

In that case, either make sure they are clean-shaven, or install aircon for them. Otherwise it would be cruelty to animals.

THIS, in 43 degrees heat and 120% humidity?? :o

sheep_named_fluffy.jpg

There is a sheep farm around here somewhere. I've had a couple off him but they are'nt up to selling to "falang" hotels and resteraunts if thats your idea.I can ask around if you want but its a long way from you. Sheep farms are more a southern thing so you are in the right spot. Thought about goats easier to keep and eat anything and easy to sell down there, they even transport them from here down south. How long have ypou had some cows Torn?

There is a sheep farm around here somewhere. I've had a couple off him but they are'nt up to selling to "falang" hotels and resteraunts if thats your idea.I can ask around if you want but its a long way from you. Sheep farms are more a southern thing so you are in the right spot. Thought about goats easier to keep and eat anything and easy to sell down there, they even transport them from here down south. How long have ypou had some cows Torn?

When I got married, I was given 10 Rai (my wife recievd 10 Rai as a present from her family), I also was given 2 cows and then I purchased two more including a big bull. My cows have produced two offspring in the last year and when the father passed away over songkran, I was given 9 females. I let my brother in law take care of them amd would not call myself a farmer at all.

I also have a small prawn farm, but Im against the chemicals they are using, so I stopped it.

My "plan" if you could call it that, is to buy about 100 rai or so and start to breed sheep for "farang restaurants" here in Phuket, as the import lamb is ridiculously expensive. Im not sure if this will work, but it will give me something to do and it is not huge money to set up.

I have thought of goats and pigs, but they really stink and are noisy, also I want to something a little unique. I would love a contact for your guy up there or any other ideas you have.

I want to be able to live up there and make enough to live with whats there. If you or anyone else has any other ideas I might explore, I am all ears mate.

thanks.

Torny, there was a thread of this nature somewhere on the Isaan Forum.

Sorry... I'd usually do a search and post a link, but I can't be stuffed today.  :D

:o

Here's one Lamb

Hurry there a several of us with knife and fork at the ready :D

THIS, in 43 degrees heat and 120% humidity??

Lot hotter back of Bourke where some ot the largest sheep stations located ---120% humidity???? Thought full saturation was 100%!

Edited by bdenner

Torn if you want to actually make a decent living out of farming here you really need to invest, the returns on just growing stuff on a small bit of land just are'nt enough. I had a mate who used to have a chicken farm, an other a fish farm both doing ok (until chicken flu) but really just getting by.

To set up something that will actually make you a living is not easy, as most of us (me included) dont really know enough about the industry here. You have to take time and learn about what you are doing. I started with 10 cows and built up, but with loads of mistakes along the way. The initial money to set up was just a gamble to see if it worked or not, now I can live comfertably off the farm, but it takes time and does'nt run its self.

Here's a couple of links from posts on TV

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...8859&hl=farming (sheep farming)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...5579&hl=farming (farming in issarn)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...8401&hl=farming (farming in Issarn a bit big this one)

They are mainly about Issarn farming but it holds for most of thailand.

If you've got 4-5 mill spare I could set you up a cracking dairy farm :D:o

Torny, there was a thread of this nature somewhere on the Isaan Forum.

Sorry... I'd usually do a search and post a link, but I can't be stuffed today.  :D

:o

Here's one Lamb

Hurry there a several of us with knife and fork at the ready :D

THIS, in 43 degrees heat and 120% humidity??
Lot hotter back of Bourke where some ot the largest sheep stations located ---120% humidity???? Thought full saturation was 100%!

I know one Welsh man who is willing to assist your breeding program. He says he is not concerned about the heat.

Im looking to buy about 10 sheep,  so as to breed them and sell the lamb/mutton. Is there any farms in Thailand now? names and contacts would be appreciated.

Torn, I think you would be pushing the proverbial s##t uphill trying to grow sheep in northern thailand. Sheep are prone to every disease you can think of and then some. They require huge amounts of land for grazing as they are finicky eaters and only like grasses a few centimetres high then they nip it off at ground level so regrowth is slow.Bourke area plains run about 2 sheep per sq. mile. Longreach is trialling sheep feedlots with fair results but lots of problems with health due mainly to feed, grain and pellets dont agree with them without the proper roughage.

Chemical shearing would solve that problem ,and spring lambs would be processed with wool on hide(tanned and bleached lamb hides in wool sell for 8000 bt a piece here in C/M). but a spring lamb only dresses at about 10 kg so to make baht you would need a big herd of breeding ewes. Slaughter and dressing are not a problem ,only cost ya a forequarter for me to show you. :o

I have seen some for sale in the local baaaa not sure how much the baaaa fine is you might be able to get a good baaaaargain :o Sorry torny couldnt help myself its this hot weather in the uk it is making me baaaaaarmy. :D

thought you'd like some info.... i'm better at goats then sheep ( i hate them except when they are with pita and or rice)

my merino /dorper (thas how we say it it not a native israeli type at all) mixes eat something like clover hay or vicia and 18% lamb feed pellets

http://www.sheep-goats.org.il/about.htm

has info in english

Meat Sheep:

Meat sheep herds in Israel are mainly a combination of two or more breeds of the following breeds and also the Assaf breed. The aim is to reach a sheep with a high amount of lambs and a fast growth rate. Wool in Israel has no economic value.

1. German or Australian Marino- a good pasture sheep with high meat yields.

2. Romanov- A high lambing sheep ,used mainly as a cross with heavy meat breeds.

3. Dorper -A South African pasture sheep. Recently introduced to Israel. A heavy meat producer.

The improved Awassi sheep

The Awassi is the most numerous and wide-spread breed of sheep in southwest Asia. The unimproved Awassi is a robust and vigorous medium sized sheep of the milk and mutton type. The improved dairy type is larger and more refined than the ordinary Awassi. The breed is well adapted to a semi-arid and arid subtropical environment. Generally, Awassi have a light fleece of carpet wool. The wool is white with a yellowish hue. Although Awassi mutton and lamb lack the characteristic flavour associated with the European types of mutton and lamb, this does not destract from the local popularity of the meat. The improved Awassi sheep in Israel possess a high potential for milk production.Over the past 50 years, very high yields have been recorded in flocks specially selected for milk production. Awassi ewes kept under an intensive management system respond well to an accelerated lambing programme of 3 lambing in two years. Kibbutz Ein Harod Ihud rears the best flock of improved Awassi sheep in Israel, if not in the entire world. During the careful development of the improved Awassi, the qualities of the native breed were retained, namely, a very sensible animal in a healthy body, known for its resistance to enzootic pneumonia and to copper poisoning. These achievements are the result of methodical and dedicated breeding, accurate recording, intensive scientific feeding and management system which doesn't rely solely on grazing, recording and processing of data by means of a computer programme, strict veterinary sopervision and modern techniques of mechanized milking.

The improved Awassi dairy sheep:

The ewe weighs between 60 and 80 kg, while rams exceed 100 kg in body weight. The annual fleece weight of rams is 2.0-2.5 kg and of ewes 1.75 kg.

High Fertility:

The prolificacy of the improved Awassi is 1.3 lambs per litter.

Meat production:

The Awassi is an excellent dual purpose animal, suitable for both intensive and extensive management, where the emphasis on meat or milk production can be shifted according to market demand.

Ein Harod sheep are renowned worldwide and are in demand by breeders in many countries. In recent years our sheep have been exported to many countries. They possess an amazing adaptability to extreme weather conditions and different managemaent systems.

The Assaf sheep:

The Assaf sheep is the result of crossbreeding the Awassi dairy sheep with the East Friesian Milk sheep. In 1955 researchers of the Israeli Agricultural Research Organization (A.R.O) Started this project aiming to improve the fecundity of the Awassi sheep. The performance of Thousands of sheep at the A.R.O. experimental farm and in 32 commercial farms where milk Control was carefully conducted by Ministry of Agriculture technicians was carefully Analyzed by eminent geneticists. Reproductive, milking performance, ewe and lamb survival Statistics and lamb growth performance were recorded and computer processed. Combination of 3/8 East Friesian and 5/8 Awassi blood emerged as the best cross breeding. Israel is the only country where the cress-breeds have outnumbered the local sheep in modern Commercial farms, which is the best evidence of success. Since the Assaf breed creation began, 100% of sheep in flocks have been mechanically milked. 40,000 Israeli Assaf Sheep is the output of this large-scale selection scheme. Most "Milking sheep" breeders in Israel have adopted the Assaf, which is considered not only a top quality sheep Dairy and excellent mutton producer but also well adapted to semi-extensive to extensive Production systems. A sturdy sheep resistant to hot summers and cold winters and considered Israel's No. 1 producer of Sheep milk and meat. The evidence of success is that Israel's cross-breeds have outnumbered the local sheep in Modern commercial farms.

Assaf, the elite modern dairy sheep:

The ewe weighs approx. 70kg, whilst the ram reaches 120kg. Assaf ewes yield 2.5-3.0 kg of coarse, long and mostly white carpet quality wool. The tail is of average length with fat at its base.

Milk:

Under Israeli conditions, in which ewes have approximately 3 lambings in 2 years, the annual milk yield is 450 liters. Ewes may be milked from lambing. Milk composition is 5.5%-7% fat, 5.5% protein and 18.5% solids. Their udders are well adapted to machine milking.

High Fertility:

1.6 lambs per litter. Birth weight is high and maternal behavior is excellent with fast Growing lambs of an average daily gain 400d/g from birth to marketing (at 50kg and 45kg of weight For male and female, respectively)

Reproduction:

The Assaf has inherited sexual precocity from their East-Friesian and the long sexual activity season of their Awassi ancestors bred in the sub-tropical environment. Mating season extends from June - February. From March - May success can be reached due to managerial know-how, developed in Israel.

(for those that must compete sexually speaking; bina:) )

Meat:

Besides being an elite dairy sheep, the Assaf is an excellent mutton producer. The Assaf lamb Carcasses are lean, long and fat is well distributed. Assaf rams are routinely used as terminal sires To mate highly prolific ewes in mutton flocks.

their site is like most israeli sites, totally useless; i even offerred at one point to type up info and put in... but no, they stick to their own, the snobs.... we, that is, the younger generation of flocks, but these old fogies..... ..

there aer however, other breeds that are edible but probably gamier in taste, that dont have a lot of wool: cameroon for instance.... why dont u go for boer goats good flavour, south african goat deals well with heat, at age three can have three kids they get massive quickly unlike milk goats; my father just sent me an article that in the states goat is becoming the new chiccy boutiqui flavour at 80$ a plate!!! only they dont call it goat, they use the spanish or french name so the americans dont get turned off by eating 'nannygoat'......

Thanks for all of your replies and PM's, it was great info and very much appreciated. Im hopefully going to Nakhon today or tomorrow (waiting for the MRS to get out of bed :D ) and Ill have a chat with the locals and get a few ideas from there as well.

Even if I change to another type of herd, I might still buy 1 sheep :o

Thanks for all of your replies and PM's, it was great info and very much appreciated. Im hopefully going to Nakhon today or tomorrow (waiting for the MRS to get out of bed  :D ) and Ill have a chat with the locals and get a few ideas from there as well.

Even if I change to another type of herd, I might still buy 1 sheep  :o

Dont forget to buy a pair of wellington boots as well Torn :D

Thanks for all of your replies and PM's, it was great info and very much appreciated. Im hopefully going to Nakhon today or tomorrow (waiting for the MRS to get out of bed  :D ) and Ill have a chat with the locals and get a few ideas from there as well.

bought and paid for mate - Im off (two days late).

Dont know if this will be of interest to you, its a Department of Livestock Development site.

http://www.dld.go.th/webenglish/imex5.html

Anyway they reconed in 2003 there was just over 30million spent on importing lamb into thailand with only about 2000 live sheep imported of those 25 were for breeding, so asuming that they are still around someone must be trying it. Comparwed to that there was nearly 2,500 million spent on importing wool so mabye there's a market.

and the velcro gloves

just had a thought you could bring them back and have a beauty comp at the "Thaipan" it'd be standing room only if you had the k1w1's in town. :D:D:D

:D Look out for the KIWI'S lurking behind the bushes.

Guess that property development scheme ain't working out there, Gent?  A lot less messy... :o

:D it is just fine on the property front Boon, but thanks for your interest :D Its called retiring before 40 :D

I was just trying to follow in Bush's shoes, being a shepard seems quite lucrative. :D

now get yourself over to paddock three, its time for a good fleecing :D:D

Edited by Tornado

Torn

Check todays Bangkok Post there was a story about a chap interested in sheep I am told.

MijaN24 :D

Torn

Check todays Bangkok Post there was a story about a chap interested in sheep I am told.

MijaN24 :D

thanks mate, I cant see the article though :D I will delve into a little more when the *&^%$ website works properly - I always have trouble loading that site.