Tukay In My Ceiling

Tagaa

Get one of these kids in to catch it. (They use a long pole with a lasso). :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDgotyZ0jM

Thanks for that little video. It was great and maybe the answer to the OP's problem if he doesn't mind crawling around in confined spaces. I like reptiles and I'm amazed at how loud the tookays can be. I can understand not wanting one right over your bed at night. I like hearing them, but maybe not so close at night... Sort of like the roosters crowing all night right outside your window. I think I'd just buy ear plugs.

I really like the close up photo of the tookay... great detail.

I've got a lizard on my "ceiling" as well... :)

Lizard_head_1.sized.jpg

I found some interesting info about these amazing lizards:

http://tokaygecko.org/

http://tokaygecko.org/handling-tokay-geckos

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...ekko_gecko.html

Apparently, they have sensitive noses so you could try to leave something in the roofspace that smells pungent. Maybe a couple of bowls of 'glacial' (6%) white vinegar?

Edited by elkangorito

Get one of these kids in to catch it. (They use a long pole with a lasso). :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDgotyZ0jM

Thanks for that little video. It was great and maybe the answer to the OP's problem if he doesn't mind crawling around in confined spaces. I like reptiles and I'm amazed at how loud the tookays can be. I can understand not wanting one right over your bed at night. I like hearing them, but maybe not so close at night... Sort of like the roosters crowing all night right outside your window. I think I'd just buy ear plugs.

I really like the close up photo of the tookay... great detail.

I've got a lizard on my "ceiling" as well... :)

Lizard_head_1.sized.jpg

Ian your wigs a little cockeyed!!!

You just have to become more "Thai", then you can sleep through anything.

Personally, I love their call, though they sound more "<deleted>*k you" to me. However, the ones I've experienced are a lot smaller, so probably quieter, assuming we're thinking of the same lizard.

If it's as big as you say, shouldn't a bird net work, followed by a journey far far away?

Completely agree...just leave it alone...it eats allot of bugs to earn its keep.

If you insist on driving it away, just send a small Thai up into the roof crawl space to drive it off...maybe take a water squinter or hose up there to drive it away.

Just got one recently in my kitchen in Bangkok.

Everybody kind of panicked.

Except me, that is, excellent opportunity to take some pictures.

Took a bucket (a pink bucket, we're in Thailand) and put it in it, and it was sure pissed off... :D

4525089408_aa7b6e554f_b.jpg

Cool Picture :) .In the right second.

Tokke keeps the house clean from insects n Sh,,,t

Even eat the sparrows :D

Poor thing calling to its babies and you want rid? Buddha is watching you !

It's not calling to its babies. It cares not a hoot for them, and would probably eat them if it could. It's calling for a mate. Farang barflies should try it in Pattaya, it might will work for bringing in the right chick.

snip

I am now trying one of those "rat trays" where if they walk on it they get stuck, no poison, and then I will move it out of the house. I don't know how I will "unstick" him though. :)

We had rats in the ceiling and used those glue trays to get rid of them. Unfortunately a tokay got caught too. Much to my disappointment the poor thing couldn't be unstuck and had to be dispatched.

I have a personal rule: any insect or reptile gets in to my house, I kill or remove it.

I've gotten rid of snakes, scorpions, and large geckos. At least 3 times I've killed a large gecko. The most recent time, I slowly approached (it was on a wall), smacked it with the wooden end of a broom. Another time, I cut one in two, but its 2 halves kept moving for several minutes. I like animals, but I draw the line - when they're in my living space. Plus, I don't like animal shit around.

The snake was amber colored, non venemous, about 5 ft long. I cornered it and had the biz end of a hoe flat against its body, pinned to a wall. Even with my full weight pressed on him, I could feel him breathing. He slithered out alive. Another few snakes were either covered with a towel, or caught by the tail and held up (like on TV), and each were ejected alive outside.

P.S. don't touch large geckos, as their skin has glochids which will itch.

Edited by brahmburgers

Option a ) act like rambo in post above get hot and sweaty in the process and kill the poor creature.

Option :) chase it out with water (hose) or broom.

Option c) Spray waterdowned perfume/aftershave in a fine mist in the loft space, they hate this and soon run off.

Option d) Live with your new pet lizard that eats all the bugs.

Rember they are terrtorial and another will replace it over time.

I get all sorts of weird and wonderful creatures in my loft.

They never bother me and as a matter a fact I enjoy having them around, this is what makes living in Thailand so special.

Leave them alone and eventually once they have finished their business, breeding etc, they will go away.

Edited by BigWheelMan

get it to chase a red laser dot and sweep it out the door

I will second this, was going to suggest it myself. I know for a fact that the ching-choks will chase a red dot laser a long way relative to their body size. I would reckon that these bigger guys would do the same. Just lead it into a trap, cage, bucket, noose, etc. and be done with it.

-Tagaa-

See it as a positive Oman (Omen?), they choose you to live with, try to live with them, they kill your insects, not good?

I have from time to time some of them in the house in Issan and I never would be thinking to kill them or other useful animals or insects.

I have more problem when one of the Tuckes dies and the smell is difficult to locate in the rooms.

I even try to remove (not easy without hurting them) the mice, Baby Tuckes and Geckos with care from the mouse glue traps and set them free.

-Jack Dawson- Kill them all!

That name sounds already same a killer from a Hollywood Cowboy movie. Sorry to read your mentality, my mouther tought me a different version of life.

-Live and let live!- (Not for moscitos, other bloodsuckers and sweatthursty flies!)

Have a couple in my home. They don't bother anyone apart from the dog. The dog managed to corner one which had fallen and ended up with a very small piece of his tongue being bitten off. Now the dog just keeps a respectful distance and barks his head off at them. He makes more noise than the tokays now so perhaps I'll have to get him sorted.

Pellet gun.

Next best is a homemade bamboo spear (or whatever kind of stick you have handy + a knife taped up to it real good).

Sorted... maybe. They can be quick for such a large lizard and they will fight a bit.

:)

I get all sorts of weird and wonderful creatures in my loft.

They never bother me and as a matter a fact I enjoy having them around, this is what makes living in Thailand so special.

Leave them alone and eventually once they have finished their business, breeding etc, they will go away.

:)

I don't quite understand this.

Is there some agreement that juvenile lizards sign, which says that they must leave the premises upon birth? What if 'mum or dad' like the place? What if a 'home' is made?

I don't quite understand this.

Is there some agreement that juvenile lizards sign, which says that they must leave the premises upon birth? What if 'mum or dad' like the place? What if a 'home' is made?

Hehehe You say something here :)

Taagaa,

I've noticed a very poor response on how to actually get remove the Tukaa. I've done it to many times to remember. The only problem you will have is if you don't take them far enough away, they will return. Anyway, this method does take a little courage, but it works 100% and the little fella doesn't get hurt.

Buy or use a very heavy bathroom matt. The big thick ones you find in Lotus are good. The matt should be the type you use for wiping your feet in front of bathroom door. Don't use something like a glorified piece of towel.

Line the little fella up. You might have to chase a little, but if it is a closed room or a bathroom, just bite the bullet and attack quick. Hold the towel in the middle, and grab the tukaa in the mid-rift like you were going to pick up something really hot. Don't look to see if you've got him. Keep heaps of pressure on the matt and feel his body underneath. As long as you grab him firmly he isn't going anywhere. Don't try putting him in a bucket or anything like that. Simply carry him out of the house and down the street like you have a big sausage wrapped in the matt. The tukaa is likely to bite the matt, but because it is a really thick matt you have no chance of getting bitten. He will hold his bite on the matt which is all the better for you.

Once far enough away from the house, ie, near temple, school, a neighbor you don't like !!! Just throw the matt on the ground and step back. The tukaa will find his way out in time..... problem solved.

When I was a boy, I used to catch Bearded Dragons & keep them for a few days before releasing them. All I used was my bare hands & quick reflexes.

If you doubt your reflexes, use thick leather gloves (like gloves used by 'boiler makers/welders').