Help Needed For Maxnet Tt &t Problem In Pattaya

musiclover

Ive had a minimal connection now for abou 3 weeks on my Maxnet Premier service with d/l speed about 30kbs and frequemt total drops.

My d/l speed before this ( on the East side of pattaya) was about 140 and then a very sudden overnight drop to about 30kbs with many drop offs.

I finally got the engineer to come and he informed my wife ( I was unfortunately out) that the problem was a poor telephone line between the box outside the house (?) and the com.

He said It was not Maxnets problem but I have to check the line in the roof or even under the road!!!

He said he couldnt do this as its a line prob and not his job

After he'd left I had no connection at all, not just a low speed!.

But after lots of experiments I found that I could get a slow connection using a cheap spare D-Link routerr and a very short lead from tel outlet to this router! Eh?

The strange part is that the longer tel line Id just bought did NOT work at all nor did the shorter line work with my better Belkin modem!!

Only the cheap router and a very short line gave a signal at all ( to write this)

How can this be possible?

Maxnet want me to get an Electrician to fix the line so if anybody knows or can recommend one Id be grateful (East Pattaya) and if any expert can offer advice Id also be very grateful.

I dont want to have to dig the road up outside my house to fix the line!!!

So help and advice needed her!!!

It is very common in Thailand. Try running a new cable from the connection box on the road into your modem and see if that fixes the problem. If it does you need to replace the line as he said. I have had to do the same several times (different houses). The reason is usually thin indoor type telephone cable is used for the connection and it is quickly eaten up by insects or rats.

Edited by Phil Conners

I had a similar problem, normally they send over an electrician at a cost to you to check the line. Go to your telephone box, inside or just outside the house and run a new line from there to locate the problem (wether it is within your house or somewhere outside). Secondly, you might want to ask the neighbors if they are running a full speed connection on Maxnet or not! If the engineer is the small squirelly guy with a blue/white woman's cap on, please slap him for me! He was at my house 3 times last week, there have been many issues lately with 3BB but now it seems to be faster then before.

Redo the internal wiring in your home (as already suggested). Use CAT5(e) or twisted pair phone cable if possible. Also avoid using a long phone cord to connect the modem/router to the splitter or phone socket. This will help reduce electrical interference.

If things don't improve, contact your local phone company and report a line fault.

It is very common in Thailand. Try running a new cable from the connection box on the road into your modem and see if that fixes the problem. If it does you need to replace the line as he said. I have had to do the same several times (different houses). The reason is usually thin indoor type telephone cable is used for the connection and it is quickly eaten up by insects or rats.

Firstly, many thanks to the 3 posters who have already replied. It seems that it is a general agreement that the line from the outside connection box is indeed the problem.

The explanations offered make perfect sense.

What is most serious is that if this is the case the road might have to be dug up to replace it as the box is on the other side with the line going underneath!!! I cant dig up a brandnew concrete road . Other residents would go mad!

I have a local electician coming round later and will see what he says.

I think the 3bb engineer IS the guy Pluto describes but he never suggested any electician, but just said its not his problem!!

I think Im screwed if the problem really is under the road. Any ideas on this?

Ive just set up my Slingbox from UK too as were losing Multichoice

Thanks again to all who have taken the trouble to assist me on this

Before digging up the road I guess you should check whether it is really a faulty line that is to blame.

Not sure what the Maxnet guy did, but a proper cable guy should have tools to check the line quality between 2 points. A service guy from the telephone company (TT&T) can surely do that.

Not sure if the telephone company is responsible for this part of the line or not. But if you just tell them that Maxnet said the telephone line is bad they might come and at least check what part it is (for sure).

In the worst case, just replacing the line temporarily over-ground will allow a 'diagnosis', too.

If the cable is under-ground, maybe it can be replaced without digging up the road - shouldn't there be some kind of conduit to protect the cable? Maybe I'm naive here but I would just tie the new cable to the end of the old one and then pull it out at the other end :)

And of course there is inhouse cabling that might be faulty, that can easily be fixed by any electrician or maybe even by you.

welo

What is most serious is that if this is the case the road might have to be dug up to replace it as the box is on the other side with the line going underneath!!! I cant dig up a brandnew concrete road . Other residents would go mad!

LOL. You don't have to!

Internal wiring involves running new cable from the NID or junction box (where the black dropwire enters the property) to the master socket inside your home. BTW, are your phones properly filtered?

Microfilter Tutorial

Guide To Fitting Microfilters

Also, test your connection with spare modem/router (if you can get hold of one). At least this will confirm whether or not faulty hardware is to blame.

How's your phone connection, any background noises? (dial zero to get rid of the dial tone).

As noted above, your wiring starts where the thick black wire enters the property, so that's the place to start your investigations.

Firstly, many thanks to the 3 posters who have already replied. It seems that it is a general agreement that the line from the outside connection box is indeed the problem.

The explanations offered make perfect sense.

I have a local electician coming round later and will see what he says.

I think the 3bb engineer IS the guy Pluto describes but he never suggested any electician, but just said its not his problem!!

I think Im screwed if the problem really is under the road. Any ideas on this?

Ive just set up my Slingbox from UK too as were losing Multichoice

Thanks again to all who have taken the trouble to assist me on this

This was also the case the last two places where I had to replace the cable, it went under a concrete road. Which village are you in? The good news is usually when they do this they put in plastic tubes for the cables. If you're in a "better" village your village maintenance crew ought to be able to help you with this. As a reference I had to pay 5,000 baht to have them do this. (a lot of digging into the places where the tubes bent were necessary to actually get the cable through).

But before you do anything, just throw a simple cable over between the connection/grounding box and your router to verify this is the problem.

Edited by Phil Conners

Before digging up the road I guess you should check whether it is really a faulty line that is to blame.

Not sure what the Maxnet guy did, but a proper cable guy should have tools to check the line quality between 2 points. A service guy from the telephone company (TT&T) can surely do that.

Not sure if the telephone company is responsible for this part of the line or not. But if you just tell them that Maxnet said the telephone line is bad they might come and at least check what part it is (for sure).

In the worst case, just replacing the line temporarily over-ground will allow a 'diagnosis', too.

If the cable is under-ground, maybe it can be replaced without digging up the road - shouldn't there be some kind of conduit to protect the cable? Maybe I'm naive here but I would just tie the new cable to the end of the old one and then pull it out at the other end :)

And of course there is inhouse cabling that might be faulty, that can easily be fixed by any electrician or maybe even by you.

welo

Thanks yet again to all those assisting. All very useful.

OK the electrician has been and done some tests and has got me up and running at some acceptable speed. It looks like mice/rats/insects (!) have ruined the internal wiring which will have to be properly replaced.

Now you wont believe this but the brand new tel wire I purchased from Lotus last night does NOT work!

Its broken in its new state! My wife experimented and used the old wire and that worked. If we hadnt done that we would never have guessed that a brand new tel wire would be broken. This accounted for the short wire working but the long one not. It was bust! TIT

There may still be problems surfacing and my Internet conn is still pretty slow (3tt Maxnet Premier) but that may be due to my distance from the main transceiver in Soi Khaonoi. Im in GPV which is a fair distance I m told and I cant get any other service ( Pity I cant get True).

Thanks to you all . Much appreciated

What is GPV? I'm in the SSCC/Nongprue area and have used Maxnet Premier for years, generally been happy with it. Nominally 3.5/1 mb and that's what I get. I tried True for a test but only got half the nominal speeds so stayed with Maxnet. Having said that, they have just been down for 24 hours with a completely helpless helpdesk and I still don't know what went wrong, just suddenly it worked again.

Edited by Phil Conners

What is GPV? I'm in the SSCC/Nongprue area and have used Maxnet Premier for years, generally been happy with it. Nominally 3.5/1 mb and that's what I get. I tried True for a test but only got half the nominal speeds so stayed with Maxnet. Having said that, they have just been down for 24 hours with a completely helpless helpdesk and I still don't know what went wrong, just suddenly it worked again.

GPV is opposite Phu Tara in Pattanakarn rd. Im sure you can look this up easily without me going into too much detail!

Perhaps my problems have been compounded by Maxnet being down as you say (which I didnt know).

Ive never d/loaded more than 100kbs and it seems there is nothing I can do about this until a nearer signal box (whatever it scalled) is brought in.

I cant get True and am now thinking about this Sophon cable idea! Well see!