State Of Emergency Declared In 15 Thai Provinces

george

State of Emergency has been declared in 15 provinces:

BANGKOK: The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has imposed emergency law in 15 more provinces in central, northern and northeastern parts of the country, CRES spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

The 15 provinces are Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Ratchasima, Si Sa Ket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Nan, Lampang and Nakhon Sawan, Col Sansern said.

The 2nd and 3rd region commanders would be in charge of maintaining order in these provinces, he said.

A state of emergency was declared in Bangkok and Nonthaburi and parts of Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Ayutthaya in April to handle the red-shirt protests, and remains in force.

Source: NBT Channel 11

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if Bangkok Post site was shut down? Haven't been able to get the site to load. Was wondering if this was a precursor to anything to happen or happening. Thanks! My wife is there in Bangkok, thats why I have been monitoring it.

interesting tactic to start a crackdown after dark, seems like a surprise attack at dawn would have been more appropriate. It might be because most if not all crackdowns have to do with tourist related industries which all seem to start after dark, don't know. I think people did start to clear out as there were more "homeless" looking people milling or sitting around TaNaam Non. I don't know what a state of emergency means, does it mean business as usual with a possibility of nothing out of the ordinary might take place when it should? Hopefully with the renegade general out of the way, the leaders might take this seriously and disperse, turn themselves in like they said, but I really don't think the maturity factor lends itself to unfold as such. The show must go on! Can we keep score, or would that be tacky?

So State Of Emergency in Chonburri...will this mean that the Pattaya bars will be closed at night? Schools, government offices, banks? Or is this "State of Emergency one of those "Thai declarations" --all words but no action?

Does anyone know if Bangkok Post site was shut down? Haven't been able to get the site to load. Was wondering if this was a precursor to anything to happen or happening. Thanks! My wife is there in Bangkok, thats why I have been monitoring it.

The Bangkok Post site is working fine for me (in Malaysia), loaded as fast as ever. So maybe it's just under heavy load. Malaysia has a direct internet link to Thailand, so the main routes to Europe/America might be clogged up with people trying to get information, while it still works here.

No, The Bangkok Post site is not closed, it's just that there is thousand and thousands of people trying to connect to it.

You have to try again and again and you'll finally be able to read it - it was the same for me since the last two hours.

And about your wife: just tell her to stay at home until it's over and, unless she lives at Rachaprasong area, she should be safe, really.

Edited by bagheera65

Emergency Decree enforced in 15 provinces

BANGKOK, May 13 (TNA) – The Thai Cabinet Thursday evening approved enforcement of the Emergency Decree in 15 provinces where Red Shirt protesters are active to prevent possible protests, as proposed by the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES).

The 15 provinces are Chon Buri, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chaiyaphum, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, and Si Sa Ket.

The Emergency Decree was declared in Bangkok and nearby provinces in April to handle the red-shirt protests, and remains in force.

CRES spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the security law enforcement is aimed at preventing moves of Red Shirts which might obstruct security operations in the capital.

Col Sansern said that CRES will appoint the army commanders in Region1 and 2 to supervise troops to maintain order in those regions and governors will be in command of provincial security forces, under the supervision of each regional army commander.

The CRES spokesman said the Royal Thai Air Force also announced no fly-zone over Ratchaprasong intersection and the surrounding area.

As road blockades began Thursday evening amid tight security, Col Sansern, said free buses have been prepared for the public at National Stadium and at Ratchathevi Road as private cars are not allowed to enter the area.

CRES announced earlier the cutting off of water and power supplies to seal off the Ratchaprasong rally site from 6pm to pressure the Red Shirts to end their more than a month-long protest.

Col Sansern said all public transport services including buses and passenger boats along the Saensaeb Canal will be suspended, while the BTS Skytrain, the MRT underground train will not stop at stations in the sealed area.

BTS Sky train later ordered the temporary closure of services at every station for safety reason after grenade and gun shot incident at Silom this evening that wounding score of people.

Roads leading to Ratchaprasong intersection including Phayathai, Petchaburi, Witthayu and Rama IV roads are closed.

The CRES later ordered the closure of Rama 1 Road and announced no vehicle can enter the Ratchaprasong compound. Any violator could face two-year jail term and fine of Bt40,000.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-05-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

interesting tactic to start a crackdown after dark, seems like a surprise attack at dawn would have been more appropriate. It might be because most if not all crackdowns have to do with tourist related industries which all seem to start after dark, don't know. I think people did start to clear out as there were more "homeless" looking people milling or sitting around TaNaam Non. I don't know what a state of emergency means, does it mean business as usual with a possibility of nothing out of the ordinary might take place when it should? Hopefully with the renegade general out of the way, the leaders might take this seriously and disperse, turn themselves in like they said, but I really don't think the maturity factor lends itself to unfold as such. The show must go on! Can we keep score, or would that be tacky?

The government have never stated they were going in - they said they were setting up the military to stop people getting in........

Things are a little crazy right now. Internet has been flooded, censorship has been top priority, and mobile networks are being shut in sensitive areas. The last BKK Post article I read was a couple hours ago. I'm sure your wife is safe, but media and communications are jammed. I live on Sathorn, an ear shot away from Silom. I can still faintly hear the odd bang and shot. It's going to be a long night and probably a long time before the air waves get clear.

What does this mean to people living in these provinces? (like me)

What are the "rules"?

I think it means that the authorities ( military/police ) gets more powers in terms of searching/arresting/holding suspects.

I assume that is the main point. You can detain suspects more easily. Not so much proof is needed / no warrants / for an arrest.

Thus it is a tool for controlling uprisings/violence etc. in a 'fast' way. There is no curfew or such, if i understand it right.

Also, big crowds of people can be controlled by emergency laws, allowing authorities to disperse them etc.

There might possibly be roadblocks where buses, cars etc. can be searched for weapons and/or suspects.

Police/military might have the right to interrogate and detain someone for less reason than normal.

If you travel, you might be asked to show identification etc. on buses and trains.

If anyone knows better, please correct me.

Meaning what exactly? As per the State of Emergency in those 15 provinces?

Well, they authorities were installing concrete barriers across some of the main roads in downtown Nakhon Ratchasima if that means anything.

My wife lives in Kalasin area and last night eastern USA time when we were skyping the internet went weird and the cam for me wouldnt work--maybe it was just a normal brownout==but she hasnt written me since then and usually does during her day--

Meaning the government is scared sh1tless that Bangkok will burn if all the red shirt supporters ever made it to the capital.

Maybe each has an Armed Forces Base? I am still curious what the SOE actually means.

Roadblocks?

Pubs closing early?

No large gatherings?

Curfews?

None of those things. If anything it's a bigger / longer party because police will have less influence. Remember the coup? Same day and the next couple days it was party all night; no police around to close the bars! :)

I think it has everything to do with what province you happen to be in and where you may be particularly. My wife is currently in Bangkok at Mahidol University and I am in Lampang. Neither of us are much affected by the SOE.

Business as usual,especially in Patts.

Does this mean that the authorities will try to prevent the red insurgent gatherings at Pattaya City Hall now?

Edited by Jingthing

Found this here Thailand Emergency Decree:

"Upon declaring the enforcement of a emergency decree, the prime minister has the power to issue the regulations including:

to prohibit any person from departing from a dwelling place;

to prohibit the assembly or gathering of persons at any place or the commission of any act which may cause unrest;

to prohibit the press release, distribution or dissemination of letters, publications or any means of communication containing texts which may instigate fear amongst the people or is intended to distort information;

to prohibit the use of routes or vehicles or prescribe conditions on the use of routes or vehicle;

to prohibit the use of buildings or enter into or stay in any place;

to evacuate people out of a designated area for the safety of such people or to prohibit any person from entering a designated area."

You know, I don't think I've ever been under a state of emergency before. How thrilling it is...

The Khon Kaen reds do seem to be quite vicious though, so who knows, maybe the police will be busy over the next while.

Edited by cdnmatt

The Bangkok Post site is working fine for me (in Malaysia), loaded as fast as ever. So maybe it's just under heavy load. Malaysia has a direct internet link to Thailand, so the main routes to Europe/America might be clogged up with people trying to get information, while it still works here.

:)

Yes, I've been bumped off both The Bangkok Post and The Nation sites several times in the last couple of hours. It seems to be getting better now. I think it was just a lot of traffic and people looking for info on what was happening. (I'm here in Greece, but my Thai family lives in Bangkok. Not close to the protest site however)

:D