How Are The Troubles In Bangkok Effecting You Personally.

dvdlock

Maybe if you asked the question in a literate manner, I would not be so AFFECTED by the EFFECTS of the poorly written title to this thread.

Don't worry. Nobody got the difference between "I could care less" & "I couldn't care less" too. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, if you are moving here because your friends "want you here" you're moving for the wrong reason. You have real reasons for moving here. If you are financially secure and can get a job here, it's still okay to come. But don't get tied down. Don't marry and don't have kids. At least in the short term until this plays out.

Thanks snaggletooth, that puts my mind to rest a little. I'm obviously going to see how this plays out over the next week, but my plans are still to make that move. I'm coming for one reason - to live and work in Thailand. I have friends and a close relationship with a Thai girl there - but I'm not coming to marry or raise a family. My interest lies in the Country and the opportunities for me in that Country. If it doesn't work out, I come home - that's always been my own personal agreement. It's frustrating when you realise the 'paradise' you wanted to leave your home for is no different from home.

Thanks for the advice - it's good to get some first-hand experience in a situation like this.

Many thanks for all the replies.

It is interesting to read how the troubles in Bangkok have impacted peoples lives in different ways. Some of the news reports we are getting here sometimes give the impression that disquiet has reached all parts of Thailand in some sort of serious way.

I appreciate the insights.

Maybe if you asked the question in a literate manner, I would not be so AFFECTED by the EFFECTS of the poorly written title to this thread.

It's a pity you felt the need to make a smart arse comment, hope it made you feel bigger and better than everyone else! but thanks for your sensible contribution which followed.

Edited by dvdlock

Don't worry. Nobody got the difference between "I could care less" & "I couldn't care less" too. :D

Nobody got the difference EITHER. :D:)

(just having a larf, El-K)

:D:D:D

More seriously, getting back to the topic, the chaos is still relatively contained and controlled but it is becoming concerning. With this level of shutdown of public transportation and blockading of roads, Bangkok has only just now become nonfunctional. The question is really how long it will have to stay at THIS stage, and how dramatic and awful the end of that will be. Obviously the sooner they wrap this up one way or another, the better for the entire country and nearly everyone in it (except the ones who are unfortunately hurt in the current puppet show). If things expand into general civil disorder- fighting on the streets further out in Bangkok; extended loss of transportation, power, phone, and water; mass executions/arrests/assassinations by any factions; hostage-taking of foreigners, etc.- then I will start planning for the exodus that will no doubt follow, at least temporarily.

Live on Ratchada and work over at SCB Plaza, not been troubled so far by anything apart from getting excuses to leave the office early!

As mentioned above the troubles pretty well localized but theres always the danger of it spreading out, which is now a distinct possibility.

From what I've seen these last few weeks if you avoid lower Sukhumviht and Silom you only seem to see a couple soldiers here and there at road junctions.

Now that they got to the GENERAL, I'm ready to join the REDS :) for the cause !!! REAL DEMOCRACY FOR THAILAND !!!!

I don't think it's the time. For too many people right now it's not about democracy anymore. If it was, then Abhisit's very reasonable offer would have been accepted last week. I think I'll wait for a new and more genuine effort, that may very well include people from what is currently perceived as the Yellow side.

I think the lines will be redrawn in the not too distant future. Everything will change.

I never thought i would have seen that from you. I thought you were a die hard RED. I agree with you that they were stupid to not accept Abhisit's offer. It was a good way out.

I could not get to my bank on rama 4 yesterday. So far that has been the only downside. And I live 10 minutes walk away from the protest site.

My business looked like it was going to be hit in the beginning but as it has gone on things have picked up nicely and we seem to be suffering very little from it. And my business involves foreigners coming to Thailand.