Clashes Continue, Turning Central Bangkok In Virtual Warzone

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just travelled from Phaya Thai to Klong Toey and return via Surasak, Suan Pluu, Sathorn, Convent, Silom, Suriwong, and Rama 4 etc. It's a ghost town feeling.

I witnessed the results of many acts of vandalism and fires and barracades etc.

When this is all over the clean-up and repair costs will be astronomical. They should sent the bill to Taksin.

It was however, pleasant to walk from Sathorn to Suriwong via Silom without the usual hustle and bustle and cars etc.

They dont have to send a bill because they robbed a big part of his money already... Should be more as enough to cover the costs. What a pathetic post

The Thai gov't took 3 years and thousands of hours of taxpayer paid professional assistance to finally bust Thaksin on one of the financial counts against him. The money the gov't got was a fraction of the ill-gotten gains that Thaksin cheated from Thailand and the Thai people. You can call it robbery, or try to invoke some sort of Robin Hood spin to it, but the truth is the gov't only got a bit back - of the billions Thaksin ripped off earlier. If T had stayed in power, his family would be so filthy rich, that there'd be no one anywhere he couldn't pay off - to keep his immoral money machine cranking.

If you thought T and the Shinawats have been a horrible drain on the resources (judicial/investigative/police) of this fine country, then wait until the required services get going for sorting out the past few weeks of mayhem. Besides the clean up and the promised compensation by gov't to businesses (and Royals to injured/dead), there will be countless hours of taxpayer paid services needed to deal with the judicial reviews, incarcerations, investigations that will need to be done for years to come.

For starters, any bits of T and Shinawat assets still in Thailand should be sequestered and earmarked to pay parts of those expenses. By anyone's playbook, Thaksin was funding and supporting the mobs which took over and tried to destroy Bkk for the past weeks.

Anyhow, thanks barky for first hand report - they're the best window on what's really going on.

Edited by brahmburgers

To Moderators....... would it be possible to have a thread in which we just got peoples eyewitness reports? this is now about 58 pages of the same old arguments, and within it are maybe 4 or 5 interesting and useful comments from people who have actually seen what is happening on the ground. This could be a valuable resource considering the shocking media coverage, but instead its just become a platform for my ignorant opinion is better than your ignorant opinion.

Besides Thaksin's economic support, my speculation is that there are many high ranked red-shirts that have invested a lot of money in this as well. Invested on the hope they will win a new election and get a position where thay can pilfer money from the government.

They want to get rid of Abhisit and call for new elections. But I can't find any valid points on why there is a really need for it. People can't just overthrow leaders just because they don't like them or "their man" wasn't elected. All this talk about the poor. What is it with the poor that needs to be so urgent adressed? Do they wanna open the government casbox and sprinkle over the Issanies? Do they hope that Thaksin will come give everyone at fat bonus? I find no valid ponits for the current situation...

And the pale skin thai-wannabies here on Thaivisa are just ignorant in their belief that they doing something honorable for their current geographic settlement in the corner of the world. This clash is not about good things to come. It's not a Pandora rebellion uprise. It's all about greed.

And besides... There's nothing we aliens could or should get involved with. It can only lead to problems, as our understanding of this complicated culture isn't any deeper than we get from watching and socializing with our indigenous wife or girlfriend.

Agree with the first part

as far as the understanding of Thai culture is concerned, it is pretty simple - culture has been replaced with "greed". An old Thai friend of mine said something to me once during our many discussions;

"when the Americans came to Thailand during Vietnam and later the tourists, our society seems to have taken on all the bad aspects but none of the good ..... now this is an intelligent chap who studied abroad and lived abroad for some time but has a deep love for his country"

This is a photo of a ten year old boy shot last night, a sober reminder to all those praying for a crackdown what it eventually leads to.

http://tweetphoto.com/22448632

This is a article on the shooting unfortunately in Thai

http://www.dailynews.co.th/newstartpage/in...contentId=65910

A very sober reminder about good parenting skills. Good parents do not drive drunk with their kids in the vehicle. A good and respectable parent would never take a child into a war zone, then attempt to break through a check point knowing dam_n good and well troops have the authority to open fire under a SOE. Thanks for the reminder about being a parent. I truly hope the father receives life imprisonment for selfishly doing this to his child. I hope this kid makes a full recovery and is placed into a proper home with real loving parents who honestly care about his well-being.

I read that he was a passer by. Not actually in the car. The van driver was the only occupant.

Lost the source. Might have been Nation.

FarangCravings:

Lets look at Saeh deng

COLD BLOODED MURDER pure and simple whether he was a nut or not you cant assasinate your political opponants and to make it worse done in front on the worlds press no less

Do you think anyone in the outside world believes the goverment when they said they had nothing to do with it when all the news channles are showing thai army firing indiscrminaltey into civilians

First of all FC, SD is not dead. Second you are assuming (you know what that does) that it was a political opponent who shot the good general. We don't know who was responsible. Third the truth of who shot him does not depend upon what I, you or the outside world think.

Now if you want to speak of cold blooded murder would you like to expound on the Tak Bai murders and the 2,500 deaths of Mr. T's war on drugs including a 14 year old boy from my village? I suppose not.

To Moderators....... would it be possible to have a thread in which we just got peoples eyewitness reports? this is now about 58 pages of the same old arguments, and within it are maybe 4 or 5 interesting and useful comments from people who have actually seen what is happening on the ground. This could be a valuable resource considering the shocking media coverage, but instead its just become a platform for my ignorant opinion is better than your ignorant opinion.

I've been down there all morning..... its nothing like half the goons on here make out!

An eyewitness thread would be good.

Anyone heard about something like that? Or misleading information?

Tweeter @freakingcat

# TNT reports 4 civilians got shot at Bon Kai. Shots are fired from buildings and people get hit! 4 minutes ago via web

# Thai Radio just said that at Bon Kai Reds shot civilians! Many injured...trying to get confirmation now...

I am reading the same. <snip> He appears to be the mastermind behind this. "...would unleash a nightmarish night for Bkk."

Another twitterer has described the situation differently

@photo_journ

4 protesters confirmed dead @ Din Daeng. Photographer witness. All head shot

There already is - PM a mod your eyewitness report and it will be included in the locked news-thread if deemed truthful and accurate.

i want to get a message to admin for the news updates....yesterday someone off this site posted a google map with the army's line of control...

was wondering if someone could do same for posts like this:

Dangerous Areas in Bangkok

Bangkok areas still deemed as dangerous include:

1. Ding Daeng intersection

2. Pratunam intersection

3. Ratchaparop

4. Soi Moh Leng+

5. Rama 4 road

6. Soi Bon Gai

7. Lumpini Park and boxing stadium

8. Sala Daeng intersection

I'm sure there are others who would want to know exactly where everything is going on (Rama IV is a long road!)...

Any help getting this to the right folks greatly appreciated.

Apparently nearly 1% of the population are psychopaths, some clinical, some borderline. Society normally keeps these people in check by providing laws resulting in repercussions for transgressors. When there is an opportunity to burn societies rule book psychopaths and misfits are attracted like flies around shit. A 'cause' is very effective at harnessing such characters as it gives focus and 'justification' to their violent tendencies and total lack of moral compass.

That's probably a fair point, I suspect that there are a few psychopaths among the protesters. And in the army and police. And from some of the bloodthirsty posts I've seen here, possibly on TV as well.

It doesn't matter which side you support red or yellow you would have to agree that the actions taken by the government is way over the top and has tarnished the reputation of Thailand in the eyes of the world.

What B.S.

I had some sympathy for the redshirts until it began to be obvious that they were not willing to negotiate in good faith.

They have blown all credibility and shot themselves in the foot with sheer stupidity. Why should the PM even try to meet them halfway when they just slap him in the face?

I feel terrible that the army is attacking them, but they have left Abhisit with little choice. They need to be dispersed and if they do not do it willingly, then the consequences are of their own making.

They had what they wanted in their hands and they blew it. It is all so sad really. :)

The thing is UG, they really didn't have what they wanted. Only what they said they wanted. There will never be an election in Thailand again if they get what they want. I think you realize now, that's what is going on here if you give an honest appraisal, which you always do..

Agree monkey circus. need info on provinces as few reports only of banks taken over and riots etc. not enough real info.

gov spokesmand now reporting mobs in 26 provinces, so something is happening. and am sure they playing it down so not everybody go and riot.

I think Suthep and his aging alies found a crack squad not from north to do dirty work and now they stretch too thin.

imho i think coup coming against gov.

old george formby song for Suthep.. "im hanging from a lampost on the corner of the street incase a certain little Thakisin come buy"

This is a photo of a ten year old boy shot last night, a sober reminder to all those praying for a crackdown what it eventually leads to.

Thank you 'noel2449rk' I'm praying for the individuals. They seem to have been forgotten. Yes, sobering. Let the evil ones reap what they have sowed. I'm a farmer from a long line of farmers.

Anyone heard about something like that? Or misleading information?

Tweeter @freakingcat

# TNT reports 4 civilians got shot at Bon Kai. Shots are fired from buildings and people get hit! 4 minutes ago via web

# Thai Radio just said that at Bon Kai Reds shot civilians! Many injured...trying to get confirmation now...

I am reading the same. <snip> He appears to be the mastermind behind this. "...would unleash a nightmarish night for Bkk."

Another twitterer has described the situation differently

@photo_journ

4 protesters confirmed dead @ Din Daeng. Photographer witness. All head shot

Don't however miss that photo_journ has been caught lieing before, lies about his awards and was in the news regards to crime he committed in Malaysia and is a self-professed red shirt supporter...I would take his claim with grain of salt at times...

A very sober reminder about good parenting skills. Good parents do not drive drunk with their kids in the vehicle. A good and respectable parent would never take a child into a war zone, then attempt to break through a check point knowing dam_n good and well troops have the authority to open fire under a SOE. Thanks for the reminder about being a parent. I truly hope the father receives life imprisonment for selfishly doing this to his child. I hope this kid makes a full recovery and is placed into a proper home with real loving parents who honestly care about his well-being.

I read that he was a passer by. Not actually in the car. The van driver was the only occupant.

Lost the source. Might have been Nation.

According to the Nation, the boy was a passenger in the vehicle.

A van was speeding to the security checkpoint under the Airport Link Makkasan station at about 30 minutes after midnight, prompting troops to fire at it.

After the van was stopped because of the firing, troops found three persons inside. They were severely injured with bullet wounds. One of them is a boy, who appears to be 10 years old.

The driver has apparently drunk.

The Nation

I am seeing these reports and videos of "hundreds" of bullets being fired. I saw one video of a soldier replacing his empty magazine with another. Doesn't it seem the reported deaths and injuries are very low for all this shooting? Are these guys the worst shots in the world or is something else going on? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see more people being shot, but it just doesn't add up.

OMG! HE CHANGED AN EMPTY MAGAZINE, AND GOT CAUGHT ON VIDEO! In most conflicts, it is normal for literally 100's of rounds to be fired per hit, especially with conscript troops or americans doing the shooting. I would expect each M-16 rifleman to be carrying close to 300 rounds.

In the dozens of videos I've seen, there have been nothing except single shots from the army. Standard issue is 30-shot clips, which, if on full automatic, will be gone in 2-1/2 seconds. You'd know it if someone was firing full automatic on you.

Carrying 300 rounds is not unusual for a soldier going into the height of the battle - 10 clips. Would you have them go into combat with 10 rounds?

"In most conflicts" ... are you talking about full-out war with machine gunners (accuracy by quantity)?

Here the soldiers are taking pains to shoot single shots every time. That speaks very well for the young conscripts who are seeing action for the first time.

Noah, please read again. I was taking the piss from the original Yank poster. And I still stand by "hundreds of rounds are fired for every hit" Try googling some stats for 'Nam.

Ah, yup, apologies. Too early in the morning for me :)

But ya gotta admit, Nam's weapons included both light and heavy machine guns: accuracy by quantity. And the only machine gun I've seen since this unfortunate business started was some badly spliced footage on one of the TV channels right after the 10th.

In urban guerilla warfare accuracy is much more important, especially if you're dealing with front-line women and children barriers. (Not that women aren't capable of firing weapons etc.) The idea that a soldier would have to go through 10 clips at a relatively short distance to get one - meh. I suppose it's possible. But then I'd have that one sent back for remedial marksmanship. :D

edit: left out the word 'warfare' my bad

Edited by noahvail

It should be a sobering reminder to the reds to see what they have caused. Tragic to say the leastand even more tragic that it was over a corupt billionaire gettin his stolen loot and power back. I guess you would rather the red shirts stay put and continue to disrupt the lives of 10's of thousands of law abiding citizens? I would blame the parents before I blamed anyone else.

From The Nation

Weng calls on reporters to return to Rajprasong

Weng Tojirakarn Saturday morning called on reporters to return to cover the demonstration at Rajprasong.

He said no reporters turned up at the rally stage apparently because their editorials did not allow them to cover the demonstration.

Weng said red-shirt guards would provide protection to reporters.

The no-show of reporters indicated that troops were about to suppress protesters at Rajprasong, weng said.

Please come and film us! Our human shield of women and children is far less effective without cameras present. We guarantee you protection (just as we did for Seh Daeng).

It might be possible that the reds behave differently in their camp, whenever a journalist is near. They might be ordered to hide the guns and only use them when there is no journalist to cover their actions. Just a thought

Sadly they are under the false impression that not only people care what they have to say but at this point really care much about their health, rights or well being. But I guess this is what happens when for two months you show you don't care about these same things when it comes to others.

The country needs a leader with brain of Abhisit and balls of Thaksin (no pun intended) ... Just having good intentions doesn't work if u can't implement those.... hope Thailand emerges stronger after this debacle...

Since when has Takki got balls ??? last time I looked, he was hiding in exile with body guards around him -tiny little balls would be a correct description - I think if anyone has shown balls here its Abhisit - first to wait that long against the wishes of the majority - than to force the military to actually do something

well I am seeing more guys willing to die for him thn this govt right at this movement....

That's a testament to how adept the reds are at brainwashing.

The country needs a leader with brain of Abhisit and balls of Thaksin (no pun intended) ... Just having good intentions doesn't work if u can't implement those.... hope Thailand emerges stronger after this debacle...

Since when has Takki got balls ??? last time I looked, he was hiding in exile with body guards around him -tiny little balls would be a correct description - I think if anyone has shown balls here its Abhisit - first to wait that long against the wishes of the majority - than to force the military to actually do something

well I am seeing more guys willing to die for him thn this govt right at this movement....

Sorry to be a bore, but we have yet to hear just what these people are prepared to die for.

No, really. Let's assume that there will be an election sometime soon, what do they want. What policies do they want enacted? Not one red shirt apologise has attempted to answer this over vthe last two months.

In the meantime, army are moving way too slow. Do it once. Do it quickly and decisively with overwhelming force. Try to minimise casualties but get the job done.

I see you don't like to jump to conclusions very quickly do you, you know nothing of the story but have already convicted the parents, were they even reshirts where were they trying to go and for what. Do you even care?

i want to get a message to admin for the news updates....yesterday someone off this site posted a google map with the army's line of control...

was wondering if someone could do same for posts like this:

Dangerous Areas in Bangkok

Bangkok areas still deemed as dangerous include:

1. Ding Daeng intersection

2. Pratunam intersection

3. Ratchaparop

4. Soi Moh Leng+

5. Rama 4 road

6. Soi Bon Gai

7. Lumpini Park and boxing stadium

8. Sala Daeng intersection

I'm sure there are others who would want to know exactly where everything is going on (Rama IV is a long road!)...

Any help getting this to the right folks greatly appreciated.

Conclusion by Acting Govt Spokesman

Acting Government Spokesman Panitan Wattanayakorn concluded that there have been 16 M79 grenades fired, mobs in 26 provinces, and 17 dead as well as more than 140 injured so far.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

May we have an update about what is happenig in Proinces (mobs in 26 Provinces)?

YOu are the one way off base.

Thaksin is calling for returning to the negotiation table. I would much rather have Thaksin calling the shots than this braindead moron Abhisit.

You would sooner have an Criminal as a leader ?

I don't care if the leader is a 3 legged monster. As long as he can do whatever it takes to bring this country closer to reconciliation then he will have my support.

Abhisit has been harping on about reconciliation but the country has only divided under his leadership. He should never have been PM.

Thank you. There is really no need for you to go on. Pol Pot sure borught Cambodians together.Same with Mao in China. And the Emporer in Japan circa 1937-45. You would have supported them all. Typical Red / Thaksin supporter :)

Besides Thaksin's economic support, my speculation is that there are many high ranked red-shirts that have invested a lot of money in this as well. Invested on the hope they will win a new election and get a position where thay can pilfer money from the government.

They want to get rid of Abhisit and call for new elections. But I can't find any valid points on why there is a really need for it. People can't just overthrow leaders just because they don't like them or "their man" wasn't elected. All this talk about the poor. What is it with the poor that needs to be so urgent adressed? Do they wanna open the government casbox and sprinkle over the Issanies? Do they hope that Thaksin will come give everyone at fat bonus? I find no valid ponits for the current situation...

Your aware of the sept military and police reshuffle yeah ?? So they can place their men into power spots and demote those against them for the next 4 years..

Plus gamesmanship with the constitution..

THATS what they are fighting about.. And why Nov elections are not enough.. And why they were a superb play to the western media that doesnt report or understand this.