Tyson's Career In Threat After Defeat

AP - Mike Tyson's career may have ended in shocking fashion when he quit on the stool after taking a beating in a foul-filled sixth round against unheralded Kevin McBride.

Tyson lost for the third time in his last four fights, and once again he faded badly as the rounds went on before head butting McBride in a desperate attempt to end the fight in the sixth round.

Tyson was pushed to the canvas when the round ended, his head stuck between the first and second ropes. He got up very slowly, wobbled back to his corner and sat on his stool.

When referee Joe Cortez came by to look at him, his corner told Cortez the fighter could not continue. Cortez then went over and raised McBride's hand in victory.

The 38-year-old Tyson was a huge favorite over McBride and won the early rounds. But as the fight went on, it was McBride landing the bigger punches as Tyson desperately tried to score a knockout.

Tyson was weary by the fifth round and, in the sixth round, he was penalized two points for deliberately head butting McBride and opening a cut over his left eye. The head butt came after Tyson appeared to try to break McBride's arm in a clinch like he once did against Francois Botha and after he hit him with several low blows.

In a career filled with tremendous highs and terrible lows, Tyson may have reached a new low in the loss to McBride, who came into the fight with no credentials.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=6248

time to hang up the gloves and enter a few of the no holds barred type arenas I think.

How do you think he would fair in K1 or UFC?

Good coverage Tornado, didnt see it, it really saddends me to hear that, once upon a timethe best boxer in the world, he continues to behave in this manner. Due to work I couldnt see the event but hearing this, maybe I wouldn't have liked it if i did. .......... There's nothing like watching Tyson in when he was young and fit.

AP - Mike Tyson's career may have ended in shocking fashion when he quit on the stool after taking a beating in a foul-filled sixth round against unheralded Kevin McBride.

Tyson lost for the third time in his last four fights, and once again he faded badly as the rounds went on before head butting McBride in a desperate attempt to end the fight in the sixth round.

Tyson was pushed to the canvas when the round ended, his head stuck between the first and second ropes. He got up very slowly, wobbled back to his corner and sat on his stool.

When referee Joe Cortez came by to look at him, his corner told Cortez the fighter could not continue. Cortez then went over and raised McBride's hand in victory.

The 38-year-old Tyson was a huge favorite over McBride and won the early rounds. But as the fight went on, it was McBride landing the bigger punches as Tyson desperately tried to score a knockout.

Tyson was weary by the fifth round and, in the sixth round, he was penalized two points for deliberately head butting McBride and opening a cut over his left eye. The head butt came after Tyson appeared to try to break McBride's arm in a clinch like he once did against Francois Botha and after he hit him with several low blows.

In a career filled with tremendous highs and terrible lows, Tyson may have reached a new low in the loss to McBride, who came into the fight with no credentials.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=6248

time to hang up the gloves and enter a few of the no holds barred type arenas I think.

How do you think he would fair in K1 or UFC?

Tornado...

Im a huge Tyson fan....couldnt buy the fight where I work, so cant comment on the fight until I fly home later this week.....

but I hope that Tyson continues his boxing, even now his record would still be something like 45-5 or something like that.....

I dont know about this fight, but its all mental.....u could see it in his eyes years ago he wanted to be there, the showtime camera would pan around Tysons dressing room pre-fight, and Tyson just looked like he wanted to fight....he loved it...now after the circus of Don King and his M####n religion, the ever present media attention, its just worn the man down....finanical lose, ex wifes and beatings at the hands of Lewis etc...thats enough to take the wind out of any mans sails....but he is still having a go..he still gets 5 million for this fight and he still is good enough to fight his way back.....oh yeh, going to jail doesnt help either.....

I do not know what K1 would pay to get a Mike Tyson on their card.....I doubt that they could come up with what boxing will still pay Tyson.....

Would he do any good in K1......yes I think he would....

beware..a wounded lion can still inflict deadly wounds"...I for one hope that Tyson will be back"...

yeah I think anyone that is a fight fan, loved Tyson at his peak - he really was unstoppable. I agree he has been worn down over the years and the last reports was, he was broke - maybe its the money he is hungry for instead of the fight these days?

I heard Jeff Fenech is now his manager / promotor, but that come from a guy at the gym, so not sure really.

I pay 2000k a month for tv here and I still dont get any fight coverage or aussie rules :o

I'm a big fan of his as well, but I worry for him. If he carries on fighting and loosing he could loose it completely. He ain't got the most well balanced of minds has he?

Think it's time to call it a day if he can afford to! We Tyson fans would rather remember his great days than seeing him fade away into obscurity! He is not getting any younger

A concerned Thai Pauly

yeah I think anyone that is a fight fan, loved Tyson at his peak - he really was unstoppable. I agree he has been worn down over the years and the last reports was, he was broke - maybe its the money he is hungry for instead of the fight these days?

I heard Jeff Fenech is now his manager / promotor, but that come from a guy at the gym, so not sure really.

I pay 2000k a month for tv here and I still dont get any fight coverage or aussie rules  :o

well i watched on thai tv this morning, just switch the sound to english :D

just wondering, at his peak he never lasted more than 5 rounds, i mean he never was a slugger, right :D

well what about wrestling, that could be fun :D

I watched it live on Channel 3 this morning and Tyson is completely finished.

McBride wouldnt have lasted a round 10 years ago and it was sad to see Tyson struggle against someone of such limited skill.

I hope Tyson doesnt box again, but you just know his story will end up in a nasty finish in the future..............

I pay 2000k a month for tv here and I still dont get any fight coverage or aussie rules  :o

Tyson reportedly received $5 million USD for this fight, but allegedly $2 million went to creditors, another large amount to IRS, and Tyson may receive around $250,000.

I also watched the fight on Channel 3 in Bkk Sunday morning. Sad fight and ending.

Fenech is indeed Tyson's trainer, and spoke very highly of Tyson after the fight.

I agree that he needs to sort his head out but I do wonder about the skills now. He looked awful last night.

Hopefully he'll be able to take a bit of time out and try and get his skills back. Even at a fraction of his former self he would have enough to trouble any of the top heavyweights around today. I hope its still in there somewhere and he can find the right people to bring it out to the fore again.

Tyson reportedly received $5 million USD for this fight, but allegedly $2 million went to creditors, another large amount to IRS, and Tyson may receive around $250,000.

With all the money he made and pissed away, he end up with $250,000 . That should hold him over for a couple of months.

you can take the boy out of the block but you can't take the block out of the boy!

what a waste.

PKG

I watched it live on Channel 3 this morning and Tyson is completely finished.

McBride wouldnt have lasted a round 10 years ago and it was sad to see Tyson struggle against someone of such limited skill.

I hope Tyson doesnt box again, but you just know his story will end up in a nasty finish in the future..............

Sad but true Leftcross, you could tell in his eyes his heart wasnt in it, even in a post match interview tysons attitude was so defeatest it suggested he was only there to make a lot of money.........

He is on anti-depressent drugs. Can a person really train themselves into tip top condition and retain quick reflexes and timing while on those drugs? It's a shame. I'd like to see him get out of the hole. Hopefully he bot a home in Florida, they can't take that away.

With all the money he made and pissed away, he end up with $250,000 . That should hold him over  for a couple of months.

you can take the boy out of the block but you can't take the block out of the boy!

what a waste.

PKG

blown some $300m, has to fight again owes the irs $30m, maybe in manila against laila ali, now that would be fun and a money spinner :o

It's been a long time since Tyson was Tyson. His life started going downhill when Cus D'mato died, then after Kevin Rooney quit (or was fired), he started slipping in the ring. If you remember when he fought Bruno the first time, he won but he did get rocked by Bruno. Then a few fights later Douglass took him out.

Tyson has always been a bully- D'mato got him out of juvenile prison, moved him to quiet upstate New York. I know people who lived in the same town and they said tyson was always in trouble witht he cops, but D'mato got him out. He was a great fighter. Fearsome. Other fighters had good reason to be afraid of him- remember the Spinks fight??? But when Rooney left he just seemed to be lost in the ring. Any fighter who has not been intimidated by him has given him problems. Holyfield, Lewis, even Botha. ....and now McBride??? It's time for Mike to give it up. Sad to see. But who is going to pay to watch him fight now? I hope for his sake he doesnt go into K1 or UFC, i dont want to see him become a freak show.

He was a great fighter. 

Net....

Tyson is a great fighter....just look at his fight record....its reads about 45-4 or something like that, and do not forget that he fought all the best in the divison and some boxers avioded Tyson until he had some ring rust and his timing was out (L Lewis)......

Tyson has never lost any of his skills in training, he just hasnt been able to carry it into the ring in his last group of fights....its a mental thing.......

It helps if u have a soild in life outside the ring, to be solid in the ring......

Tysons problems are well documented, everybody knows about them, he has lived in a fish bowl since the age of 20, how would u feel if everybody that u walked by the street knew just about everything about u......

If Tyson had never gone to jail, he may well have been the greatest heavyweight ever.....Lewis would never had had a easy time with well prepared Mike Tyson..etc......and he still might get 5 or 6 good fights under his belt and have another shot at a world title.....

do u know that Tyson used to take gifts to the poor kids in his old New York neighbour hood, he used to travel many miles to see the some of the old time boxers that he knew, when they where sick and always addressed them as Sir" ......the media never talk about the good things...a guy from my gym got to watch a Tyson training session some years ago when Tyson was on top, and Tyson took time out, shook his and all the other people at the gym after.....

Tyson is a great in boxing, he can be great again.....

Edited by Siam_superfly

I loved watching tyson years ago. but it was obvious after the first holyfield fight that he was not the guy he was. layoff in prison? ali missed just as much time and came back to fight some off his greatest fights. and ali NEVER quit. unfortunetly he fought too long. he should have quit after manilla. do you want to see tyson end up like ali? Tyson he has lost 2 in a row, 3 of his last 4. that would seem to be a liitle more than just a mental thing. he will be 39 years old in 2 weeks.

i know he did a lot of good things for kids, was always respectful to the "old guys", and a lot of his talk was to sell tickets. but its time for him to hang them up. it looks like he knows it, too. for his sake i hope so. or else he's gonna see more articles like this one:

boxing scene

I loved watching tyson years ago. but it was obvious after the first holyfield fight that he was not the guy he was. layoff in prison? ali missed just as much time and came back to fight some off his greatest fights. and ali NEVER quit. unfortunetly he fought too long. he should have quit after manilla. do you want to see tyson end up like ali? Tyson he has lost 2 in a row, 3 of his last 4. that would seem to be a liitle more than just a mental thing. he will be 39 years old in 2 weeks.

i know he did a lot of good things for kids, was always respectful to the "old guys", and a lot of his talk was to sell tickets. but its time for him to hang them up. it looks like he knows it, too. for his sake i hope so. or else he's gonna see more articles like this one:

boxing scene

Net....I know that I maybe heckled for this one....but I think Tyson was a better boxer than Ali in their primes.......just my 1 cent worth.....

Thats not taking anything anyway from the legend that Ali is, and a man that I would bow to if I was ever so lucky as to meet the great Ali in person.....

Edited by Siam_superfly

boxing scene

I agree that its time to hang up the gloves but the article youve just quoted is the biggest piece of anti tyson propaganda ive seen....... ok, a less than gracious fight but thats no reason to suggest tyson is not a great champion....theres a lot of half truths in this article, i read that and i hear just an anti tyson advocate bantering on......

He can't win if his heart's not in it. There are too many hungry boxers out there. As far as him being better than Ali, compare their opponents. And remember during Ali's time they fought 15 round bouts.

Ali fought: Sonny Listen, Frazier, Forman, Norton, Shavers,

He was a great fighter. 

Net....

Tyson is a great fighter....just look at his fight record....its reads about 45-4 or something like that, and do not forget that he fought all the best in the divison and some boxers avioded Tyson until he had some ring rust and his timing was out (L Lewis)......

Tyson has never lost any of his skills in training, he just hasnt been able to carry it into the ring in his last group of fights....its a mental thing.......

It helps if u have a soild in life outside the ring, to be solid in the ring......

Tysons problems are well documented, everybody knows about them, he has lived in a fish bowl since the age of 20, how would u feel if everybody that u walked by the street knew just about everything about u......

If Tyson had never gone to jail, he may well have been the greatest heavyweight ever.....Lewis would never had had a easy time with well prepared Mike Tyson..etc......and he still might get 5 or 6 good fights under his belt and have another shot at a world title.....

If Tyson had never raped a woman, he would have never gone to prison. If he had never bit off Holyfield's ear, he would have been remembered more fondly. It's fitting that in his last fight, he intentionally head-butted his opponent.

......the media never talk about the good things...

that's because there were so many bad things he did... and sorry, but giving a few gifts to kids doesn't balance them out.

Tyson is a great in boxing, he can be great again.....

Tyson is finished, he can be great again, but only on the professional wrestling tour. It's always a shame to see someone throw away or misuse their God-given talents, but Tyson has never been one to take responsibility for his actions. He squandered his money and his reputation. The only question remaining is whether or not he'll be a wearing a mask with his wrestling costume.

Ali fought:  Sonny Listen, Frazier, Forman, Norton, Shavers,

Don't forget Cooper, Chuvalo, Bonavana, Quarry and Ron Lyle. All tough guys in probably the best era of heavyweights.

Compare them to the guys Tyson fought- Trevor Berbick (yeah, i know he beat Ali, but Ali should never have been allowed in the ring for that one), Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tubbs, Marvis Frazier, James Smith, Tyrell Biggs, Mitch Green.... Only Holyfield, Lewis and Razor Ruddock could be considered in the class of the guys Ali fought, and Tyson lost to Holyfield and Lewis.

Tyson was the best of his time. Not his fault, but the 60's and 70's were the decades of some great heavyweights, not the 80's and 90's. Like it or not, fighters are judged on who they fought wars with- Frazier lost 2 out of 3 to Ali, but his reputation isnt diminished by the losses, its enhanced because of the heart he showed. And take a look at the left hook Frazier knocked Ali down with in the 14th or 15th round in their first fight- part of the Ali legend is that he got up after that punch. Holyfield's fights with Bowe- he lost 2 of 3, but those were classic fights. Tyson was awesome, he just didnt have many fighters of real quality around until he fought Ruddock and Holyfield. Again, not his fault, but...