Rimping 'mee-chock'

BOOKEMDANO

Hello,

When I was in Chiang Mai last they were knocking down all the out-buildings by the clock tower but I never knew why or what they had planned.

Could anybody fill me in on this development? Is the market going to return?

When the market was open there was nowhere to park so some of the business around the perimeter closed for those hours do to no customers. If you did make into to Rimping it was the same no customers. IMHO I hope the market does not return.

Edited by gotlost

I'd heard talk of a McDonnalds opening there within the new complex. Shame the coffee bus had to close and move though.

I heard (via Mrs Pikey) that it will be an MK. MK or McDonalds, it'll be a bloody big restaurant if it takes the whole of the redeveloped site up. Maybe there will be MK/McD outlets plus a load of other shops ala Carrefour/Tesco/Big C but as Cozumelito's missus runs Butter is Better inside Rimping, I'd assume he's more in the know with what's going on.

What's happened to the coffee bus and associated restaurant? It looked for a while that they were gonna stay but were gone last time I was there. Shame, great food and good drinks.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

I'd heard talk of a McDonnalds opening there within the new complex. Shame the coffee bus had to close and move though.

I heard (via Mrs Pikey) that it will be an MK. MK or McDonalds, it'll be a bloody big restaurant if it takes the whole of the redeveloped site up. Maybe there will be MK/McD outlets plus a load of other shops ala Carrefour/Tesco/Big C but as Cozumelito's missus runs Butter is Better inside Rimping, I'd assume he's more in the know with what's going on.

What's happened to the coffee bus and associated restaurant? It looked for a while that they were gonna stay but were gone last time I was there. Shame, great food and good drinks.

Cheers,

Pikey.

The coffee bus has been moved to the other end of Rimping and a new cafe being constrcted next to it

Nearly all of the stores that were torn down have been relocated to other places in Meechok Plaza. The post office is a small kiosk outside of Bud's. The Vietnamese restaurant is beside Praties and the Coffee Bus is behind Rimping on the other side.

Post Office??? I've lived here 2 years and have never seen a Post Office?

Nearly all of the stores that were torn down have been relocated to other places in Meechok Plaza. The post office is a small kiosk outside of Bud's. The Vietnamese restaurant is beside Praties and the Coffee Bus is behind Rimping on the other side.

Never seen a Post Office in two years of living here?

You must not get out much :)

I agree, I have never seen a post office in that location before either.

However, thanks for all the information on this. I think that from what most of you have said the only conclusive opening will be a Mcdonalds/MK restaurant and a bunch of a/c rental shops for rent; I was just unsure as to what they were doing.

On the subject of building I have also heard that Central are planning another shopping plaza - possibly towards doi saket.

However, thanks for all the information on this. I think that from what most of you have said the only conclusive opening will be a Mcdonalds/MK restaurant and a bunch of a/c rental shops for rent; I was just unsure as to what they were doing.

On the subject of building I have also heard that Central are planning another shopping plaza - possibly towards doi saket.

That rumor about Central has been on going for 2 years. The one I heard was across from Meechock plaza.

Be fair, the Post Office was always cunningly concealed in a tiny booth very close to the Clock Tower (Rimping side). It is now a tiny booth inside the Rimping building, as the other poster said.

Central announced a huge new mall on the 118/Superhighway junction, promising completion in (what would now be about) 18 months time.

The Meechok Plaza ownership (not Rimping - I found to my amazement that they are simply the biggest tenant) reacted by planning the re-development we see now. Twin storey accom aimed at big names and modelled very much on NIM City Daily, which embraces Rimping near the airport. The exception being that the central area (formerly main car park and aerobic area) will be a garden and children's playground.

Now that Central have postponed their Big Plan thanks to the economic climate, one wonders what Mr Meechok feels like as the contractors' bills begin to come in.

Much shaded car parking is being prepared adjacent to the back door of Rimping, and there you will find the good ole Coffee Bus, reversed into a purpose built building next door to Saha Farms. Don't know when they plan to open, but soon I expect. Hope they reinstate the internet shop facility, but not at 50b per hour.

I'm pleased that Meechok has kept the Clock Tower, a great landmark, unique in Chiang Mai (I think) and so much more tasteful than that disaster in Chiang Rai!

This info comes from current and immediate-past Meechok tenants.

That rumor about Central has been on going for 2 years. The one I heard was across from Meechock plaza.

they put it on hold coz of the GFC, a sound business decision imo,

its supposed to be in Doi saket highway 118 and close to the super highway

anyone know of the other development?- The CNX Wood studio

Sorry to see this type of strip mall development when it will be dominated by franchises and chains who can pay the higher rents that now will be demanded...

I seriously doubt the mon/tue market disapperas as it is a big hit with Thai..very popular as it is more of a social thing to do as the stuff is always the same one week to the next...Very boring...

The owners had a chance to make something very special but it sounds like just another modern mall that will lack character and charm..

CB

Lets see.. Central was going to build a new mall across from the MeeChock Plaza.

Central was going to build a new mall at the 121 and Hang Dong Intersection.

Central was going to build a new mall at the superhighway and 118 intersection.

CNX was going to build new movie production studio.

A group from Holland was to build a new mall on the back side of Big C off the super highway.

Edited by gotlost

Always a smartass in the bunch. I meant in Meechok Plaza.

The Mrs came back from Rimping the other week and said they were building a McDonalds. Bad news for my waistline.

Sounds like just what Chiang Mai needs - a 4th? 5th? McDonalds in this small city! There was a time when you could come to Thailand and all the girls were slender. Now with all the fast, fried, junk foods available, only 50% of them are...

The Mrs came back from Rimping the other week and said they were building a McDonalds. Bad news for my waistline.

Sounds like just what Chiang Mai needs - a 4th? 5th? McDonalds in this small city! There was a time when you could come to Thailand and all the girls were slender. Now with all the fast, fried, junk foods available, only 50% of them are...

I agree with you on that, Ive seen a difference in the years ive been here, the western diet of junk food is seriously taking effect over here, when I do the school run in the mornings with my daughter you notice it more then, some of the next generation of kids in school are huge.

Overweight Thais has little to do with Western fast food. They eat a lot more meat than in the past and have plenty of their own junk food - including all kinds of fried snacks. They just have more options and more money to spend on them. :)

If true It would be number 6 for McDonald's. Airport Plaza, Kad Suan Kaeo, Tha Phae Gate, Chang Khlan Road and Carrefour on the superhighway.

If true It would be number 6 for McDonald's. Airport Plaza, Kad Suan Kaeo, Tha Phae Gate, Chang Khlan Road and Carrefour on the superhighway.

gee, more places to avoid then :)

gee, more places to avoid then :D

We will have to start calling Chiang Mai....Mac Mai.. :)

Overweight Thais has little to do with Western fast food. They eat a lot more meat than in the past and have plenty of their own junk food - including all kinds of fried snacks. They just have more options and more money to spend on them. :)

It might not have a direct result on Western fast food 'per se' but, since everytime I pass the counters of Mister Doughnut, Dunkin Doughnut (both products of America) and record numbers of bakery shops at every turn it is no suprise that the 'trans fats' found in these products (products of a western society) does in fact have a direct influence on the growing waistlines of our Asian cousins.

didnt think dogs worried about waistlines, anyhow when did dogs learn how to type....that is you in you avatarr, isnt it?

You are absolutely correct about that UG as is Donnyboy's observation..."watching thai soaps and surfin the net long hours dont help either"...

didnt think dogs worried about waistlines, anyhow when did dogs learn how to type....that is you in you avatarr, isnt it?

Doppa its a lion :):D:D