Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

So it is the same curfew as last night.. which didnt really happen... left work at 11pm nimmen' road... passed by the soldier boys.. loads of bikes and cars on road.. can only hope more cars tonight... and no troubles... if only someone would step down... we could all breath a sigh of relief, even if just until election results.

Edited by whiterussian

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red shirts currently burning tyres around Thapae Gate. Local Governor announces no one to leave their homes between 9pm and 6am tonight.

No smoke that I can see from Thapae Gate area or anywhere else for that matter. City is a bit quiet but otherwise appears normal.

The curfew is from 9pm to 5am for the next three nights throughout Chiangmai province ( and the province of Lampang and Lamphun)

Technically that includes travel home by car on a ring road butb thyere were plenty of cars doing just taht last night !!!

So yes I would like George or Webfact or someone to actually post the actual facts and rules

Thats the consensus amongst the Thai's I know... they work nights.. (not on loi kroi :))

They will shut shops (inc my wife) at 9pm and make their way home.. in my wifes case along nimmen' road and then the canal ring road for 20km.

There is one police check point on the route home, but my wife can talk her way out of anything. Especially in her home town - <deleted>.

The 711's are shut early due to them being targetted in Bangkok, or maybe orders from some 711 overlord.. most of the home/shop noodle bars etc couldnt give a rats arse though.

Edited by whiterussian

So it is the same curfew as last night.. which didnt really happen... left work at 11pm nimmen' road... passed by the soldier boys.. loads of bikes and cars on road.. can only hope more cars tonight... and no troubles... if only someone would step down... we could all breath a sigh of relief, even if just until election results.

Well, the French government is trying to shut Thaksin up ... that might help! Elections were on the table but that was turned down in favor of violence by the reds.

It is VERY quiet around my section of the moat. I am thinking about taking a ride past the former location of the red shirt stage to see what remains.

just returned from several hours cycling around the city. all is normal.

nawarot bridge is clear, only change is the lack of flags of any color.

police booth at the east end has been trashed, thus no traffic lights.

the two trucks that had been torched have been towed away, the residue is being washed off the streets.

some marks on the pavement at the east end where tires had been burned, but paving equipment

is already on site.

nothing at thapae gate except one fat, sweaty foreigner pretending to study a map.

no road blocks, no military, no helicoptors, no police presence.

Just returned from town. Went to immigration around 11AM to do 90 day report. Parking lot next to immigration was closed and gate locked with sign saying do to trouble... Immigration lot had a few empty stalls. Inside about 2/3 full. Took me 10 minutes to report only because some lady was in front of me with no idea what to do and cost me 5 minutes of time. Immigration was grate as they normally are. Went to the east side of the moat area traffic was non existent every where half the businesses were closed. The wife went to Warorot Market she said the shop owners were sad and mad at what happen yesterday, no customers. Banks and gold shops closed. The Chiang Mai Entertainment Center on Loi Khro (boxing) closed at 8PM last night police did go around and tell the other bars to turn music down ,lower lights, some bars with their doors ajar were open tell 2AM. Went to the nursery in back of Tesco on superhighway 1/4 of shops closed. The back side of TL from nursery is barricaded off. Returning saw 6 army trucks with personal on superhighway just west of the 1001 turn off. Quit day very few people out. As for the curfew it is not just for Chiang Mai City it is for the complete Provence, superhighway, 1st ring, 2nd ring ,San Sai, Doi Saket, etc. How the local authorities deal with it that's their business but if you are out after curfew be prepared for the......

So still nobody knows as I take it. So we can think that the inner part of the city will be closed, Loi Kroh and around the entire moat and surrounding, but then on the outside might be ok. At least they are not checking for drink and drivers, so people doing this should be ok.

Just been to Lotus on 121 road near san sai, everything is closed up. Notices on the doors etc but I can't read Thai so no clues as to what they said.

just thought you may like to know if you were planning on doing any shopping.

Thai TV is saying that the penalites for breach of curfew are 40,000Bt fine or two years jail.

Yes - those are the maximum penalties. The Thai legalese phrase is ไม่เกิน + amount/number (the literal translation of ไม่เกิน is 'not exceed', i.e. 'up to').

Knowing Chiang Mai, I am sure that the city will still have movement and not be completely deserted during curfew. However, a police colonel at 5th region said that if stopped, and only because it is the emergency law, you could be flung in jail for a wee while without any recourse. He said that it was highly unlikely anyone would be arrested for minding their own business, and police are definitely not interested in disrupting the lives of normal citizens, but it is good to bear in mind. Might come across some eager beaver type who takes his job too seriously. Highly doubtful, but I intend to stay put.

Curfew times are 21:00 (9 PM) to 5:00 (5 PM)

Where is your proof comming from? I read write and speak Thai but didn't see or hear that on the Governments live broadcast.

I saw and heard it myself on the Governments live broadcast. The representative said it both in Thai and English. 21:00-05:00 (9:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M.) curfew.

Edited by elektrified

Just came back from a drive around town. I would say that roughly 70-80% of the bars I passed were open. 2 things seemed different from last night.

1.) Last night the night bazaar was shut down. Tonight the vendors are all setting up. The police are there at the Loi Kroh/ Chang Klan intersection. By all appearances the night bazaar will be open tonight. One would assume that it will be allowed to continue past 9PM (the start of curfew). I doubt the vendors would go thru the trouble to unpack everything and set it all up, just to put it all back away 2 hours later.

2.) Yesterday when I went past the Loi Kroh boxing ring area (approx 8'ish), it was completely shut down. It did not appear that it had ever been opened at all. Today there are several bars already open and it looks like they are prep'ing for full night (I saw ice being delivered, etc).

There are still a few chair's, cones, police sign, etc sitting on the traffic island across from Thapae gate. Probably going to be another checkpoint setup there again tonight. This of course is not all that uncommon as they routinely setup a checkpoint there at night to catch the drunks and the helmetless.

Makes me wonder if the curfew is going to be enforced at all tonight. May take another look closer to 9PM and see how things are progressing.

-Mestizo

Out tonight.. seems quite a few people got an early start today. :D I asked at some bars and they were doing booming business.. possibly because Number 1 closed. :) Many bars plan to open early afternoon.

I also asked if they'd be interested to stay open through the night, locking the doors and keeping people inside, but no takers so far. If the curfew goes on for longer though then I bet I can get a party going somewhere. :D

The curfew is from 9pm to 5am for the next three nights throughout Chiangmai province ( and the province of Lampang and Lamphun)

Technically that includes travel home by car on a ring road butb thyere were plenty of cars doing just taht last night !!!

So yes I would like George or Webfact or someone to actually post the actual facts and rules

Webfact has now started a new thread and video on this.

Thanks, webfact

But please note Lamphun province is also subject to curfew. No doubt te thread will be updated

Thanks again George and Webfact.