Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

"Reds barricades disbanded in Chiang Mai, reds radio voluntarily suspended

Provincial police on Thursday took down the barricades of a main rally site in Chiang Mai without any resistance from the red shirts.

The barricades were located near Grand Waroros Hotel on Inthawaroros Road, where the local reds, known as the Rak Chiang Mai 51 Group, held their rally for months.

Some 10 red shirts were present to witness the disbandment but did not interfere with police work.

Community radio operator and red-shirt leader Worawut Rujanapinan said he voluntarily suspended his broadcast as a gesture of his cooperation with the authorities.

-- The Nation 2010-05-20

"

Common sense prevailing?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Reds barricades disbanded in Chiang Mai, reds radio voluntarily suspended

Provincial police on Thursday took down the barricades of a main rally site in Chiang Mai without any resistance from the red shirts.

The barricades were located near Grand Waroros Hotel on Inthawaroros Road, where the local reds, known as the Rak Chiang Mai 51 Group, held their rally for months.

Some 10 red shirts were present to witness the disbandment but did not interfere with police work.

Community radio operator and red-shirt leader Worawut Rujanapinan said he voluntarily suspended his broadcast as a gesture of his cooperation with the authorities.

-- The Nation 2010-05-20

"

Common sense prevailing?

perhaps just acceptance. hopefully anyway. nothing stupider than shitting on your own doorstep.

Here's the Cineplex number: 053 283939... guess if they answer sometime after 10:00 it is. :D
Any news on Airport Plaza - open or staying shut? Anyone? (I guess its wise to stay shut, but you never kno TiT)

Stroll on. Call them or would you like me to? :)

sorry missed the connection (was up all night reading this, twitter and watching TV) - I stand suitably chastised :D

Are voluteer tourist police out during the curfew? Could be dangerous for unpaid, fairly untrained, guy out there. However, could be useful helping to get the holiday makers to go back to their hotels before 9pm.

Been driving around through the city (muang) for a few hours, and there are no traces of either red shirts, vandalism or military. All back to good ol' laid back CM.

If something would happen tonight, it would probably be the gang of teenagers driving around last night. Nothing major.

Someone said on Twitter they saw soldiers in front of Kad suan Kaew an hour ago, but I guess its only for show. No reds there.

Red shirt's stage at Worarot Hotel is gone, their radio station shut down voluntarily. So. if nothing unusual comes up, I would say it's safe to say everything is back to normal. :)

Been driving around through the city (muang) for a few hours, and there are no traces of either red shirts, vandalism or military. All back to good ol' laid back CM.

If something would happen tonight, it would probably be the gang of teenagers driving around last night. Nothing major.

Someone said on Twitter they saw soldiers in front of Kad suan Kaew an hour ago, but I guess its only for show. No reds there.

Red shirt's stage at Worarot Hotel is gone, their radio station shut down voluntarily. So. if nothing unusual comes up, I would say it's safe to say everything is back to normal. :)

Or it's the calm before the storm......

I just find it hard to believe that after all this time and the activity in BKK and other provinces by the reds, they capitulate so readily up here, particularly as it's Thaksin's back garden as it were. Or maybe that is it - Thaksin's given the word that he doesn't want his city wrecked?

Whatever the underlying reason, I sincerely hope we have sustained peace in our wonderful city.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Red shirt's stage at Worarot Hotel is gone, their radio station shut down voluntarily. So. if nothing unusual comes up, I would say it's safe to say everything is back to normal. :D

I just find it hard to believe that after all this time and the activity in BKK and other provinces by the reds, they capitulate so readily up here, particularly as it's Thaksion's back garden as it were. Or maybe that is it - Thaksin's given the word that he doesn't want his city wrecked?

Whatever the underlying reason, I sincerely hope we have sustained peace in our wonderful city.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I spoke to a few people "on the street", and nobody wants any problems here similar to what happen last night. Most people are reds, but that does not mean they want to trash up their country, and especially not their beloved city.

So I see very little chance of any major disturbances. Maybe a few kids looking for trouble, haven't we all been there ourselves. :)

Red shirt's stage at Worarot Hotel is gone, their radio station shut down voluntarily. So. if nothing unusual comes up, I would say it's safe to say everything is back to normal. :D

I just find it hard to believe that after all this time and the activity in BKK and other provinces by the reds, they capitulate so readily up here, particularly as it's Thaksion's back garden as it were. Or maybe that is it - Thaksin's given the word that he doesn't want his city wrecked?

Cheers,

Pikey.

I spoke to a few people "on the street", and nobody wants any problems here similar to what happen last night. Most people are reds, but that does not mean they want to trash up their country, and especially not their beloved city.

So I see very little chance of any major disturbances. Maybe a few kids looking for trouble, haven't we all been there ourselves. :)

Most people are "reds"? Not even in Chiang Mai! Most people are "colorless" in the city.

I have just returned from a drive around the city. At 2pm the burned out fire truck had been removed and cleaners were finishing off cleaning that section of road. Small sections of damaged road on the bridge have already been replaced. Small groups of security in the grounds of the official governor's residence. They don't look like civilian police. I drove across the face of the Worwot Hotel and no barricades; however, there is a small shrine to Seh Daeng if anyone wants to pay their respects.

Banks are closed, schools are closed, fire trucks have been vandalized and burned out, tourists are leaving - how proud those thugs and their supporters must be.

Edited by Loaded

It's also possible that the real 'hardcore' have yet to complete the drive back up from BKK.

Been driving around through the city (muang) for a few hours, and

Most people are "reds"? Not even in Chiang Mai! Most people are "colorless" in the city.

yes, its gone underground. they now have 'red hearts.. this is enough'. I notice one of my neighbours has taken down her thai flag + yellow flag.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/181/ April 2, 2006.

All Thai Rak Thai candidates elected in the North, despite low turn-out and high numbers of “no-voters”

Chiang Mai people returned to their home city to cast their ballot in the snap election on April 2, 2006. Chiang Mai province is divided into 10 election areas and Thai Rak Thai members were standing for election in all 11 areas.

[/b]http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/254/news.shtml#hd1 January 7, 2008

People Power Party sweeps the board in Chiang Mai

9 Chiang Mai PPP candidates elected to Parliament

The electorate of Chiang Mai came out in force on Sunday to support the People Power Party, resulting in 9 PPP candidates being elected to serve as Members of Parliament. 2 further candidates were also elected from smaller parties, one from the Ruam Chai Thai Chartpattana Party, and one from the Pua Paen Din Party. No Democratic Party candidates were elected.

------

election result 2011 ... hmmm..if I were a betting man...

Edited by whiterussian

Hi Im huay kaew and there didnt seem to be a curfew here last night, still people around, when you say curfew does that mean 7-11 etc are all closed....??? What time is it suppose to start tonight....?

Just found the relevant post about the times but why is everyone panic buying restaraunts are open till 9 anyway...

Edited by james24

9pm.

Doesn't mean streets will be completely deserted, or that people get shot on sight. Does mean some police checkpoints, allowing people through who are on legitimate and urgent errands.

Just found the relevant post about the times but why is everyone panic buying restaraunts are open till 9 anyway...

Not 'everyone'.. :) Visit any market and have a look how much panic there is. Some foreigners especially are relatively recent arrivals and haven't seen all of this before, so they are a bit over-concerned.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

May 20, 2010

This message alerts U.S. citizens traveling and residing in Thailand

that the Royal Thai Government has imposed a nightly curfew from

21:00-05:00 in the following provinces:

* Bangkok metropolitan area

* Chiang Mai

* Chiang Rai

* Lampang

* Nan

* Nakhon Sawan

* Samut Prakan

* Chon Buri

* Nonthaburi

* Pathum Thani

* Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya

* Khon Kaen

* Udon Thani

* Chaiyaphum

* Nakhon Ratchasima

* Si Sa Ket

* Kalasin

* Mukdaharn

The curfew is in effect for the nights of May 20, May 21, and May 22.

Do not leave your residence, hotel, or guest house during these hours

except in an emergency. If you do, you are subject to arrest by

security forces. Security checkpoints and road closures, especially

near police, military, or other government installations, are possible.

Following the Thai Government's May 19 operation against the United

Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (aka UDD or "red-shirts")

demonstration in Bangkok, UDD supporters in Northern Thailand began

violent demonstrations in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Lampang. In

addition, a band of UDD supporters traveled around Chiang Mai city,

throwing rocks and firebombs along its route, setting fires and damaging

cars and offices. There are no reports of casualties from any of these

incidents.

UDD supporters might continue such demonstrations in coming days.

Possible demonstration sites include Provincial Halls, military and

police installations, official residences of government officials,

Bangkok Bank branches and ATMs, shopping malls, and the U.S. Consulate

General in Chiang Mai. They might also attempt to block key roads or

bridges near these. Criminals or gangs could take advantage of these

demonstrations for their own purposes.

Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and

possibly escalate into violence. You should avoid areas that may be

targeted for demonstrations and exercise caution if within the vicinity

of any demonstrations or large gatherings. You should monitor local

media to keep updated with the latest information of any demonstrations

and areas to avoid

The Thai Government previously declared a state of emergency in the

provinces listed above. A state of emergency gives the police and

military increased powers to maintain public order. Specifically,

security forces have the authority to:

* prohibit gatherings of more than five people;

* prohibit distribution of media or publications deemed to

affect security or public order;

* prohibit or limit the use of vehicles or particular routes;

and

* evacuate buildings or areas or prohibit entry into them.

You should expect to see more security forces personnel in the streets.

You might encounter them at roadblocks or other security checkpoints.

If you encounter police or military personnel, you should obey any and

all instructions from them. Be sure to have identification and proof of

your U.S. citizenship on you at all times to show them if they request

it.

Curfew times are 21:00 (9 PM) to 5:00 (5 PM)

9:00 pm until 5:00 pm is a long time. That only leaves 4 hours in the evening to go out. How do you go to work?

Very funny :D --give the guy a break--we all know it should say 9.00 p.m. until 05.00 A.m.--all good folk are asleep between these times--leaving just you hooligans running around. :)

Where is your proof comming from? I read write and speak Thai but didn't see or hear that on the Governments live broadcast.

Pretty much any online media.

"Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) on Thursday extended curfew in Bangkok and 23 other provinces for three more nights in a bid to end the riots which broke out after red shirts leaders surrendered to police on Wednesday.

The curfew will be from 9pm to 5am from Thursday to Saturday night to allow people more time to conduct their businesses. The curfew imposed on Wednesday was from 8pm to 6am."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 5/20/2010

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

93.25FM radio this morning discussed curfew in the Northern Thai language broadcast following the national news in Thai. The announcer said that last night many people in Chiangmai had not heard news of the curfew and were still driving around. So the authorities ask for cooperation.

Chiang Mai province is divided into 10 election areas and Thai Rak Thai members were standing for election in all 11 areas.

:)

Yeah, not to mention that that was a lifetime ago, and the particular election that was boycotted by the democrat party. So not the best of examples. A better example would be to point at the mayor elections, though keep in mind that most Phua Thai voters aren't activist reds. Especially not now, one would presume. (and hope)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

But as happened 2 years ago with the coup, a distinct lack of students out shopping on what should be the busiest week of the year for our student orientated market on huew kaew..

Could be because the CMU summer courses have finished and the new students have not yet arrived for the new term starting soon, though some will be arriving from BKK by train TODAY.

CMMCB

CMU summer semester ended last week. One of my students told me that the entering freshman class was supposed to arrive for orientation today. Most of the other students won't arrive until just before the next semester begins on 31 May.

Where is your proof comming from? I read write and speak Thai but didn't see or hear that on the Governments live broadcast.

It is completely true...all the Thais know it already...but the CRES is saying the same thing

I just heard on BBC News, in very clear English, that the curfew is in effect for Bangkok and all provinces under the emergency decree through Saturday from 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. On another thread there are people insisting the curfew is stupid and they will go out drinking as usual tonight. It will be interesting to see what happens to drunks caught after curfew at police checkpoints. I won't be one of them.

Maybe a stupid question but friends are telling me different stories

Does tonights curfew mean not just the city centre but the areas arond the outer ring road . Some say the restaurants out there wiill be open later and ok to drive home on the ring roads

Not how I see it !