Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

Great informative news if one is in BKK ot Pattaya but i thought the title of this thread was( Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates, Just info, no debates)

Any one know if the curfew is to be extended in CM (im getting board in the evenings staying in )

It is and it covers all SOE provinces....Now it's official!!!!

CRES extends curfew in Bangkok, 23 other provinces for 2 more nights (May 23-24), banning people from leaving home from 11pm to 4am: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Curfew-remai...ig-t368308.html

Many thanks seems the curfew hours are a little more sociable.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great informative news if one is in BKK ot Pattaya but i thought the title of this thread was( Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates, Just info, no debates)

Any one know if the curfew is to be extended in CM (im getting board in the evenings staying in )

It is and it covers all SOE provinces....Now it's official!!!!

CRES extends curfew in Bangkok, 23 other provinces for 2 more nights (May 23-24), banning people from leaving home from 11pm to 4am: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Curfew-remai...ig-t368308.html

Many thanks seems the curfew hours are a little more sociable.

things dont even get warmed up till after 11 pm in town :)

We had our normal drink, music and BBQ in my Soi last night. Just ordinary working folk. Not elitist Bangkokians. may come from somewhere else anyway. it was, as usual, a good night with plenty of laughter and taking the piss.

Today I decided to venture out and have a good look at the locals. Yes, there is a subdued mood. When they saw me I found it impossible to discern whether their look was one of embarrassment and shame or whether it was i was a Farang and still here!! People I see at least a few tinmes per week and interact with were different today. Quiet, reserved, not outgoing whatsoever, as they usually are. It is all about perceptions, and mine was that there are many sad and concerned Thais right now. I bet many Thai family finances are going to take a huge hit, and that is always a big worry for any family anywhere.

Ok, and the next part. The Taxi I caught home I have had before a few times, he is a middle aged guy, by no means a member of the Infamous Bangkok Elite and in fact a damned nice bloke even if his taxi is a beaten up heap of crap. His warmth and friendliness make up for it.

Take this as you might, I am only parroting what he said to me. His opening line was about Central World and his disgust at what had taken place. Kamoys and criminals. Not a happy camper indeed! He expressed great sadness for his King, who, he said, must be heartbroken over this behaviour. And lastly, now don't shoot me, I am only the messenger, he said that the Leaders of the Red Shirts were paid 100Mil Baht by Taksin for their part. Obviously this is the rumour going around right now.

Like I said don't shoot me.

Even in Bangkok the curfew is not a curfew, there are that many exceptons its ridiculous.

Whilst people are hurting (financially and pride), the idea of a curfew in these circumstances is that the polcie and army can act lawfully and detain someone when they want to. They do not want to detain everyone who beaks curfew. By simply having the statute active it gives them discretion to intervene earlier if it looks like something is massing. Your average citizen and tourist has very little to fear as many here and in Bangkok can attest to.

Its not "brave" to break the curfew, no one has been wrongfully arrested, shot, tortured as a result of the curfew.

Hopefully things will quieten down further this week, and altogether by Buddha's birthday on Friday If ever there was a day that should be quiet and non violent by all parties (army police and protesters) thats the one. If something big escalates on Friday we can truly say that this place has lost the plot and its one for young and old.

Edited by mamborobert

Update from the US CM consulate:

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok just issued the following Warden Message,

which we are repeating for your information. Please note that Chiang

Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, and Nan are on the list of provinces where the

curfew remains in effect. Also, please note that the U.S. Consulate in

Chiang Mai is operating during it normal business hours.

============================

May 23, 2010

This warden message alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in

Thailand that the Royal Thai Government through the Center for the

Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced that it will

impose a shortened curfew for at least one more day and will evaluate

the need to extend the curfew on a day-to-day basis. To find out if the

Royal Thai Government has extended the curfew, please refer to local

media and our website. We will not send out another email warden

message solely regarding the curfew, but will update this message on our

website.

The curfew is in place tonight, Sunday, May 23 from 11:00pm to 5:00am.

This curfew applies to the Bangkok metropolitan area and to the Thai

provinces listed below. Royal Thai Government officials may change this

list after this Warden Message is sent out, so please refer to media or

local officials for the latest information. Reports indicate that

troops have authority to shoot on sight in response to acts of inciting

unrest. American citizens should maintain a low profile and refrain

from nighttime outside activity until the situation improves.

If you will be flying out of Bangkok in the next several days, we

recommend that you leave for the airport well in advance of the curfew

hours. If you are arriving at a Bangkok airport during curfew hours, we

recommend that you stay at the airport until after curfew hours.

Reports indicate that Airports of Thailand (AOT) may coordinate

transportation for passengers from Suvarnabhumi Airport to a few central

locations in Bangkok during curfew hours. However, they are evaluating

providing this service on a day-to-day basis. Passengers may not be

able to find any transportation from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok

during curfew hours and may need to wait until after curfew hours to go

to Bangkok.

The U.S. Embassy, including visa operations, will be closed Monday, May

24. We will reopen all operations, including all consular services, on

Tuesday, May 25. On Monday, May 24, American Citizen Services (ACS)

will be at our temporary location at the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. Please

see details in our recent announcement

<http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/052110wardenmessage.html> . ACS is also

available by phone at 02-205-4049. For after-hours emergencies, please

call 02-205-4000.

A curfew from 11:00pm to 5:00am has been declared in the following

provinces:

* Ayuthaya

* Bangkok metropolitan area

* Chaiyaphum

* Chiang Mai

* Chiang Rai

---snip---

if it's anything like last night then it's less an enforced curfew and more an implied one. please stay at home if you'd be so good, it'd be awfully nice if you could please. streets were still plenty busy at midnight last night.

Yes, the US Consulate in CM is open as normal for business. I know this first hand as one on my friends is working there this Summer while out from school. He just arrived a week ago and I recently contacted him. I asked him if security at the Consulate had been 'beefed up' any and he reply was, 'no, not really'. They just gave him an orientation about the situation and how to keep an eye out for any unusual things/activities as well as being safe throughout the city.

In case anyone is thinking of heading over to Tesco Khamtieng to withdraw cash from an ATM, save yourself the trip. I just returned from there and not only is Aeon and Kasikorn closed but almost every ATM in the shopping center gives the message "Sorry, banknotes not available at this ATM". I tried 4 of them downstairs with no luck and when I went upstairs there was about 25 people waiting in line at one (that I'm sure will be out of cash by now).

The curfew is not that strict. Last night we had dinner near the Thapae gate, and at 9:15 we were still walking outside. We had a chat with the soldiers. All very mellow.

I am going to the walking streets now and I 'll see when I go home.

In case anyone is thinking of heading over to Tesco Khamtieng to withdraw cash from an ATM, save yourself the trip. I just returned from there and not only is Aeon and Kasikorn closed but almost every ATM in the shopping center gives the message "Sorry, banknotes not available at this ATM". I tried 4 of them downstairs with no luck and when I went upstairs there was about 25 people waiting in line at one (that I'm sure will be out of cash by now).

Speaking of banking (and ATMs) I found the banks at the Hang Dong Carrefour VERY convenient.. There's all the typical machines for deposit and withdrawal, and nice branch offices that are a bit larger than what's normally at department stores, but are open on weekends. (Bangkok Bank, SCB, Krung Thai, and I think Kasikorn Thai inside the Carrefour building). Overall this is a very nice shopping area, with a very good food center. It's pretty far out in between Hang Dong and Sanpatong though.

Just came back from CM city.

Around 11 P.M., most of the bars which were not already closed were closing down at Loy Kroh Beer garden or Boxing

A police car with 2 armed soldiers was using loud speakers to remind in Thai people about the curfew in CM province.

I did not feel brave or stupid enough to take any risk, I came back home

Safer even if some brave people assure they keep cruising without any risk

Good night...

Here is another buse we won't be seeing about Chiang Mai again. In Bk

TogetherWeCan54.jpg

Do drivers own their own songtaew or are they rented from the 'family' that seems to have a monopoly on public transport here? I thought they were rented by the day.

These drivers will prbably be paying off the loan sharks for the taxis they do not have for many years. I get little satisfaction from seeing this as the were duped and no more culpable than everyone there. What I would like to have seen was everyone there given a 2 year sentance for breaking the emergancy rules of gatherings and have this immediatiatly suspended providing they were involved in no more trouble.

Edited by harrry

Latest missive from US-

The Thai Government has announced that it will extend the current curfew

day by day as needed. The curfew is in effect in provinces where the

government declared a state of emergency. In Northern Thailand, this

includes Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, and Nan provinces. Please see

the U.S. Embassy's Warden Message at:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/052410wardenmessage.html. (If this link

does not work, cut and paste it into your browser.)

Urgent: Curfew extended for another 7 days from May 25- May 31, from midnight to 4am

To clarify curfew extension plan, the Cabinet will still have to endorse the CRES proposal.

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Liv...50#entry3638552

That does coincide with the liquor laws of stop selling liquor at 12 midnight.

Good if you can teleport home :)

36 arrested so far in Bangkok for breaking curfew. Any takers in Chiang Mai?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/36-ar...y-30130059.html

Official reason may be breaking curfew, but it's of course a tool to be able to arrest anyone who is deemed suspicious.

Won't stop me going out in Chiang Mai! (Plus I can think of a couple good reasons.. not difficult.)

In my view curfews help all of us if they are obeyed. They enable police to concentrate on crime and move quickly to incidents with the assumption that no one is there on the roads validly.

By curfew breaking relying on falang status to be excused hurts all in thailand.

Urgent: Curfew extended for another 7 days from May 25- May 31, from midnight to 4am

To clarify curfew extension plan, the Cabinet will still have to endorse the CRES proposal.

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Liv...50#entry3638552

Clarification: The curfew extension was a proposal from CRES and needs the Cabinet to meet and approve it tomorrow /via @tukky_nt

IS NOT LAW YET. But probably will be.