Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

My usual coffee shop in Santhitham area also closed for the day (at the very least)

The Thais seem to know something we don't!

Yep - they know that it's been announced for a couple of days now that the power will be off in Santitham for next three days (bettween 09:00 and 16:00) for routine maintenance! Of course, the sound trucks driving round were making the announcements in Thai. :)

I think most business will be closed and my understanding is it's not releated to the Political situation - life goes on as normal.

P.S. the power went off as expected at 09:02, but is now back on (10:30) so don;t know what to expect for the rest of the three days......TIT

Edited by Paagai

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re tesco lotus gas stations.

i saw this notice at the gas station shop on the corner of the road down to the american embassy yesterday

so im assuming they and others possibly ? are all doing the same opening hours at gas stations

the bigger shops ive no idea !

dave2

post-42592-1274413382_thumb.jpg

Mealsonwheels4u is showing Miguels as open.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Thx Pikey..I think I'll head that way soon.

BTW, thx as I didn't realize Mealsonwheels4u published what places were open... I guess I venture off now and see if their info is curent.

City Hall has it's gates secured and tripple rows of large concrete blocks in front of them, and armed soldiers behind. Central is closed similarly with soldiers wandering around the outside.

All banks I passed were still closed, as were a lot of shops that are normally open, in fact is was fairly quiet all round.

City Hall has it's gates secured and tripple rows of large concrete blocks in front of them, and armed soldiers behind. Central is closed similarly with soldiers wandering around the outside.

All banks I passed were still closed, as were a lot of shops that are normally open, in fact is was fairly quiet all round.

Do you mean something other than central/robinson airport plaza by "Central"? It was not closed an hour ago at least.

To the contrary, apart from a sign in Thai that I think was saying it was closing at 18:00 today,

everything looked perfectly normal; shops open, lots of people, etc.

ug.

re ... They are still at Kad Suan Keaw and it was not open as of 11:30 this morning.

i saw about 10 soldiers sat out front and one army truck tucked down the car park ramp yesterday

dave2

post-42592-1274427961_thumb.jpg

Just in case anyone is interested, i've just got back from the AIS main office. Dragged me arse down there to pay the bill and it's all shut up. There is a notice on the door, but it's only in Thai, so at a guess i would imagine they are staying closed until Monday.

Aitch

Just in case anyone is interested, i've just got back from the AIS main office. Dragged me arse down there to pay the bill and it's all shut up. There is a notice on the door, but it's only in Thai, so at a guess i would imagine they are staying closed until Monday.

Aitch

Thanks for the info on AIS save me a trip tell monday.

Do you mean something other than central/robinson airport plaza by "Central"? It was not closed an hour ago at least.

To the contrary, apart from a sign in Thai that I think was saying it was closing at 18:00 today,

everything looked perfectly normal; shops open, lots of people, etc.

Yes I meant Central Gaad Suan Gaew. If I had wanted to say Airport Plaza I would have done :)

Edited by Maejo Man

Aitch

If you are that keen to pay it, you can pay at any 7/11 but will cost you 10 baht for the pleasure :)

Aitch

If you are that keen to pay it, you can pay at any 7/11 but will cost you 10 baht for the pleasure :)

Life seems so difficult for some people.Pay it at any 7/11 store ,must be 20 + in CM , Tesco , Big C ,Carrefour and probably any post office.

Aitch

Thanks for that Maejo Man. I really didn't know that. I actually asked them at the desk during sign up if i could do this, but they said my account had to be paid at the main office only. Don't ask why because i couldn't get an answer other than 'cannot' when inquiring if the bill could be paid more local to my home.

Anyway, there's still a few more days before the Pay By date, so i will try the 7-11 on the corner tomorrow.

Fancy an expat informing a customer of company policies that are unknown to the staff - TIT :D

Aitch

Just returned from Miguels and yes, they were open (one could tell my stomach has stopped growling.... :D ). Afterwards I drove around the moat some and then stopped to do a little shopping at Rimping (near Airport plaza) before heading home down CM-Hangdong Rd near Big C.

The only things where I noticed any differences from a normal Friday afternoon were:

• Lot less traffic all around (me likes that... :) )
  • Traffic lights were out on both sides of Narawat bridge
  • Few stores closed all around
  • Hardly any bread left on the shelves at Rimping
  • Although there were some but a lot less tourists walking the streets looking lost

BTW, The ATM in front of Rimping was working as I withdrew my normal 20 baht weekly allowance my wife allows me... :D

Edited by dingdongrb

21 May 16:45

Nawarot Bridge

Night Market

Municipal Stadium

Thaepae Gate

Alcoholic Alley

other than very light traffic, nothing to report.

What about those places? A rather odd post.

Perhaps a little too short-hand for you but not odd at all - the poster went round those places and had nothing to report.