Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

I really just don't know what to make of some of the comments re: the curfew.

A curfew is a curfew. Period. Whether you agree with the legitimacy of the current gov't or not...it is the law of the land.

Disrespect for law, and its enforcement in this country, is why we seem to have a dysfunctional society here.

If one chooses to break the law, that is your choice.

But don't expect sympathy from us law abiders when you suffer the consequences.

i'm not sure if you or elektrified will read this from your high horses but i have never asked for sympathy if there are consequences

it's not for me to tell people what to do or not to do, however i thought it would contribute to the topic to mention briefly my experiences... i wasn't asking for a morality lecture but thanks anyway

the couple of nights before last i was only going to my thai friend's bar around the corner for me... i knew there was no risk or trouble involved... even when the police did come round one time, they gave a polite reminder and then moved on

last night, i drove my bike (+ thai friend on the back) from a restaurant on changklan road across the city to my friend's bar near huay keaw road at about 12.30/1ish and passed many soldiers and police... none of whom could give a monkey's about mr.falang and his social life

as others have said, it seems the curfew is as much to give the police/army an excuse to arrest perceived troublemakers without necessarily catching them in the act... i don't feel in danger at all

i look forward to your next sermon :)

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who object to the curfew from midnight to 4 should think themselves luck they were not in Amaritsa in India after troops cleared the golden temple. All the foreigners were sent to a couple of hotels and had to remain inside them for about 4 weeks. I was lucky....I was travelling on a rail pass and arrived at the station at 5 am and when I saw the headlines in the paper hopped on the train at the other side of the platform. It was the last one out for some months,

Throwing everyone out may have affectyed Indias tourist trade but they seem to have progressed wuite well without us.

Can we do a list of all the current checkpoints around town? For example, are there any on the Canal Road, Southbound?

The only ones I know of are Sridonchai Road between the moat and Chang Klan, then on Chang Klan near the interesection where teh Buarawong apartment is, and on the Hang Dong road at the Land Transport Department, so just before you get to Big C and the Ring road underpass.

How about Suthep Road?

Cabinet extends curfew 4 days, shortens hours

The Cabinet Tuesday resolved to extend curfew in Bangkok and 23 other provinces from Tuesday to Friday.

The curfew hours will be midnight to 4 am, one hour shortened from earlier curfew periods.

The Cabinet will assess the situation on Saturday and make a decision whether to extend the curfew again.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-25

The Cabinet Tuesday resolved to extend curfew in Bangkok and 23 other provinces from Tuesday to Friday.

The curfew hours will be midnight to 4 am, one hour shortened from earlier curfew periods.

The Cabinet will assess the situation on Saturday and make a decision whether to extend the curfew again.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-25

Someone refresh my memory--how much of the violence and illegal protest activity occurred between midnight and 4 a.m.?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-25

Someone refresh my memory--how much of the violence and illegal protest activity occurred between midnight and 4 a.m.?

True, however, I think that everybody in Thailand is well aware that it will benefit everybody when things go back to normal ASAP. I don't think the government is actively trying to get tourism down below 0 or trying to get as many businesses go bankrupt as possible. So my guess is that they have a reason to do this.

But in the end TIT... :)

Edited by martijn12345

My goodness yes, I hadn't thought about the working girls, they must be furious, not to mention the ladyboys around Taphei!!

Actually, one positive side-effect of the curfew... With the sometimes there, sometimes not, curfew checkpoint at Thapae Gate, the ladyboy population in the immediate area is noticeably absent.

-Mestizo

My goodness yes, I hadn't thought about the working girls, they must be furious, not to mention the ladyboys around Taphei!!

Actually, one positive side-effect of the curfew... With the sometimes there, sometimes not, curfew checkpoint at Thapae Gate, the ladyboy population in the immediate area is noticeably absent.

-Mestizo

It went down noticeably on LB'S and BG'S before said events for lack of customers and since the events it is even less. NO tourist, no customer, no punter ,no money, go home.

-Mestizo

It went down noticeably on LB'S and BG'S before said events for lack of customers and since the events it is even less. NO tourist, no customer, no punter ,no money, go home.

That would be LBs and BGs. Why the apostrophes?

-Mestizo

Ant thing on a positive note you would like to add? :) 's

-Mestizo

Post-Op there's no apostrophe in LBS.

:)

doesnt the adams apple count?

:)

doesnt the adams apple count?

only if get a bite. :D

... snip ... A curfew is a curfew. Period. Whether you agree with the legitimacy of the current gov't or not...it is the law of the land.

Disrespect for law, and its enforcement in this country, is why we seem to have a dysfunctional society here.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun McGriffith,

We like these words very much, and agree double-whole-heartedly with them. We are obeying the curfew, and that doesn't bother us a bit.

But, we look back at where my human came from, Corporate Occupied Mallburgerland, aka "America," and we see a dysfunctional society there, too. In fact, we can't think of any society that hasn't been "dysfunctional" except in utopian fiction, and since we see grotesque and monstrous dysfunction within ourselves (at rare times of being inadvertently, or by accident, truthful with ourselves), we wonder how any society can ...

But here's a thought: a "curfew" is a punitive measure in a way : how much better it would be to have a permanent curfew, but require every one to be out of their house at 6am in the morning for mass calisthenics, or tai chi, or yoga, or whatever, while at the same time listening to lectures on physical and mental health, and avoiding the dangers of smoking and drinking alcohol, and lauding the benefits of wearing motorcycle helmets. We think they've tried this in North Korea with some success, but too bad about the mass starvation.

We like the idea of mass-internment camps for resident farangs which they cannot leave until they can speak Thai to a certain level, know how to transplant a rice seedling into paddy land, and requiring a "license" for farang long-term residents based on passing an exam in Thai, and a physical test, such as not being able to walk in a straight line for more than twenty meters.

Think of the pride and glory with which such "licensed farangs" could stroll among mere tourists, perhaps wearing a special armband or insignia !

best, ~o:37;

Ok. Your licence for Buddhism you can have with me. I can give you Pali- Teaching, I check you about your knowledge of Buddha - Teaching. Buddha was a Farang, Pali is a Farang-language. Make your licence with me, than you can continue with your xenophogic racism.

Before things got off the straight & narrow, I had a question on exactly where the checkpoints were located; it would be good if we can get back to that.

Specifically, does anyone know if there are checkpoints on Suthep Road, and on the Canal Road, South of town?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-25

True, however, I think that everybody in Thailand is well aware that it will benefit everybody when things go back to normal ASAP. I don't think the government is actively trying to get tourism down below 0 or trying to get as many businesses go bankrupt as possible. So my guess is that they have a reason to do this.

But in the end TIT... :)

My point was that the illegal activities were primarily a day time affair, what little happened at night happened before midnight. There may have been a little going on from midnight to 4 a.m., but not much. So what's the point of the curfew? Doesn't it divert police and soldiers from daytime duty when they are more likely needed?

If you are that keen to pay it, you can pay at any 7/11 but will cost you 10 baht for the pleasure :)

I know this is not really the place to post this, but as it was mentioned here, i'll update it here.

I went to the main AIS office yesterday and they confirmed that i cannot pay my ASI 3G 30 GB bill anywhere other than that office. I thought that's what they told me at the time of signing up, so i'm assuming that Maejo Man has a different type of contract that is more flexible. When i asked the reasons they were closed on Friday, they just said 'Curfew'. I wasn't aware that certain businesses had a 24 hour curfew whereas others could trade past office hours.

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Ant thing on a positive note you would like to add? :D 's

Well I don't know if it's positive but hopefully on topic. I'm planning on going out tomorrow (Wednesday) to check the situation out for myself as I have been stuck inside (for various reasons) for over a week now. I won't be able to shed any light on venues for the jazz lovers and disco freaks as I will be heading for the seedier side of town.

If anyone was out tonight it would be nice to have an update on whether there is anything happening after midnight (not that I'm inciting anybody to break the curfew or intending to do so myself :) ).

Before things got off the straight & narrow, I had a question on exactly where the checkpoints were located; it would be good if we can get back to that.

Specifically, does anyone know if there are checkpoints on Suthep Road, and on the Canal Road, South of town?

WTK,

Interesting question/ turn of events tonight.

Checkpoint on Chang Klan = GONE.

Checkpoint on Siri. Rd = GONE.

Checkpoint at Thapae Gate = Pre-curfew, set up but inactive. After midnight, GONE.

Very, very light police presence in town. Seem more intent on asking bars to turn down music after curfew than anything else. Not a single soldier seen tonight. Not a single weapon bigger than a handgun seen tonight.

On another interesting note, Spicy opened up today for the first time since the start of curfew. Yet they closed down at midnight. Not sure exactly what the point of that was, as no customers there before 1am anyway.

Several bars in town still open at this hour. One particular bar in the reggae area still rocking as of 2:45 AM. Approx 40 customers and a decent party.

-Mestizo

WTK,

Interesting question/ turn of events tonight.

Checkpoint on Chang Klan = GONE.

Checkpoint on Siri. Rd = GONE.

Checkpoint at Thapae Gate = Pre-curfew, set up but inactive. After midnight, GONE.

Very, very light police presence in town. Seem more intent on asking bars to turn down music after curfew than anything else. Not a single soldier seen tonight. Not a single weapon bigger than a handgun seen tonight.

On another interesting note, Spicy opened up today for the first time since the start of curfew. Yet they closed down at midnight. Not sure exactly what the point of that was, as no customers there before 1am anyway.

Several bars in town still open at this hour. One particular bar in the reggae area still rocking as of 2:45 AM. Approx 40 customers and a decent party.

-Mestizo

Goodmorning :)

Well, I went out for the 3rd (or 4th) night in a row till late (4-5 am) and can confirm that lots of bars are open till late.

The police do come by but only ask the music to be turned down a bit, although last night it was at full power at the reggae area till late.

On Loi Kroh, several venues are open till late as well.

Driving around the city center, including Chang Klan Rd. caused me no trouble at all. Not even when spotting police or them spotting me. Same same as normal.