Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

In my view curfews help all of us if they are obeyed. They enable police to concentrate on crime and move quickly to incidents with the assumption that no one is there on the roads validly. By curfew breaking relying on falang status to be excused hurts all in thailand.

That would make total sense if one supported the military/government's actions, and thought the continued curfew is needed for Chiang Mai (and all other provinces outside BKK). Anyway, this gets very close to 'debate', instead of useful updates.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Did you get the impression (yesterday) that the curfew is more enforced now that the hours are more enforceable?

Sorry, I did not venture out after curfew last night, so nothing to report. Everything looked 100% normal, but that was approx. 9PM, 2 hours before the start of curfew.

One of the owners in the Reggae Bar area has told me today that they will be open at least until the start of curfew. The plan is business as normal until 11PM and then dim the lights and turn the music down from 11PM onward.

-Mestizo

Scofflaws generally get their comeuppance with a weighted baton to the head....eventually.

Don't worry, it will come, when they least expect it.

Hmm.. That may be a somewhat inflammatory message; I hope it won't disrupt the discussion or upset any participants. :)

Anyway, I'll let you know when it happens. Anything better than wasting away at home on internet forums. :D I didn't come to Thailand for that.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Night buses are running, provided they leave before curfew starts. To be sure, call your favorite bus company, or drop by at the Arcade Terminal.

For example, the Nakhon Chai Air call center is 0-2936-0009 (www.nca.co.th )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

*Not sure if you've spent any time out recently (or just in Chiang Mai in general) but LOADS of people don't take it very seriously, very much including the military at checkpoints!

That doesn't surprise me at all. I just prefer to avoid trouble if possible.

electrified.

re .... Sounds like you take the curfew real seriously.

this is what the imm hotel @ thapae gate were telling their customers at reception yesterday

tomorrow ... who knows ?

dave2

post-42592-1274713912_thumb.jpg

post-42592-1274714019_thumb.jpg

I'm not worried about the curfew nor do I lose sleep over it. But I don't mind staying home a few nights and having a few beers here. Better safe than sorry I say...

We had curfew in Los Angeles in 1992 after the riots and I took that very seriously like everyone else (except the rioters of course). LAPD would not hesitate to crack your skull with a baton or shoot you...they are trigger happy. I don't know how the Thai police would react if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'll play it safe and not find out. The city and the bars will always be there...

I really just don't know what to make of some of the comments re: the curfew.

A curfew is a curfew. Period. Whether you agree with the legitimacy of the current gov't or not...it is the law of the land.

Disrespect for law, and its enforcement in this country, is why we seem to have a dysfunctional society here.

If one chooses to break the law, that is your choice.

But don't expect sympathy from us law abiders when you suffer the consequences.

electrified.

re ... I don't mind staying home a few nights and having a few beers here

i agree 100%

im lucky that im still well stocked up from songkran.

more curfew ??? .... NO problem : )

dave2

post-42592-1274717228_thumb.jpg

A curfew is a curfew. Period. Whether you agree with the legitimacy of the current gov't or not...it is the law of the land.

Disrespect for law, and its enforcement in this country, is why we seem to have a dysfunctional society here.

er what

I definitely agree with you all the way. Am not out to prove anything these days, but the law is the law, no matter what country you live in !!

Took a drive thru town on my way from the office to grab some dinner tonight. Timeframe is approx. 11:30PM until 12:15AM. Many bars quietly open and checkpoints almost laughably lax, similar to all the previous curfew nights.

The one striking different is that there is a HEAVY police presence all around town and on the outskirts near my office (Sarapee, between 2nd and 3rd ring road). Alot of the red police trucks driving around, some of which have armed soldiers in the bar. There are also alot of police on motorbikes (both solo and teams). They don't seem very interesting in shutting down the bars or getting people off the streets. They are driving down both the main roads and the small side soi's. Seem to be actively patrolling/ looking for something.

Not sure if something is up or not, but it was enough to convince me to get my Mikes Burger to go and head back home.

-Mestizo

er what

I definitely agree with you all the way. Am not out to prove anything these days, but the law is the law, no matter what country you live in !!

Yeah, right, that's why there's no prostitution in Thailand, all the bars close at 1 a.m., everybody wears a helmet when on a motorbike....

er what

Yeah, right, that's why there's no prostitution in Thailand, all the bars close at 1 a.m., everybody wears a helmet when on a motorbike....

Before the moderators delete these posts, I'll point out that moralizing and legalizing about the virtues of obeying the curfew are off-topic, reports from people who have been out after curfew are on-topic.

100% with you on this.

... snip ... A curfew is a curfew. Period. Whether you agree with the legitimacy of the current gov't or not...it is the law of the land.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun McGriffith,

We like these words very much, and agree double-whole-heartedly with them. We are obeying the curfew, and that doesn't bother us a bit.

But, we look back at where my human came from, Corporate Occupied Mallburgerland, aka "America," and we see a dysfunctional society there, too. In fact, we can't think of any society that hasn't been "dysfunctional" except in utopian fiction, and since we see grotesque and monstrous dysfunction within ourselves (at rare times of being inadvertently, or by accident, truthful with ourselves), we wonder how any society can ...

But here's a thought: a "curfew" is a punitive measure in a way : how much better it would be to have a permanent curfew, but require every one to be out of their house at 6am in the morning for mass calisthenics, or tai chi, or yoga, or whatever, while at the same time listening to lectures on physical and mental health, and avoiding the dangers of smoking and drinking alcohol, and lauding the benefits of wearing motorcycle helmets. We think they've tried this in North Korea with some success, but too bad about the mass starvation.

We like the idea of mass-internment camps for resident farangs which they cannot leave until they can speak Thai to a certain level, know how to transplant a rice seedling into paddy land, and requiring a "license" for farang long-term residents based on passing an exam in Thai, and a physical test, such as not being able to walk in a straight line for more than twenty meters.

Think of the pride and glory with which such "licensed farangs" could stroll among mere tourists, perhaps wearing a special armband or insignia !

best, ~o:37;

As part of the licensing scheme, don't forget getting shots and being neutered, Orang, and getting an RFID implant. As long as you're a law abiding non-citizen, non-resident, who could argue with that? :) Also there's an opportunity to fit everyone ankle bracelets, that would mean 90 day reporting may no longer be necessary. Progress.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Anything better than wasting away at home on internet forums. :D I didn't come to Thailand for that.

Says the one with 3k-plus posts in couple years. :)

30 minutes or so is not wasting away. Gives me something to do while on the toilet or in the bathtub. :D (Or in bed, having a coffee right now.)

The one striking different is that there is a HEAVY police presence all around town and on the outskirts near my office (Sarapee, between 2nd and 3rd ring road). Alot of the red police trucks driving around, some of which have armed soldiers in the bar. There are also alot of police on motorbikes (both solo and teams). They don't seem very interesting in shutting down the bars or getting people off the streets. They are driving down both the main roads and the small side soi's. Seem to be actively patrolling/ looking for something.

Interesting. Good to hear that they're doing something rather than shine only by their absence.

Lucky Chiangmai?

511 people sentenced for violating curfew

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Courts have slapped 511 people with a suspended jail term and a fine of Bt2,000 each for violating the curfew between May 20 and May 24. The two-month jail sentence will be suspended for a year.

Metropolitan Police Bureau spokesman Maj-General Piya Utayo announced the figures yesterday.

From Sunday 11pm and 4am yesterday, 36 more people were arrested in Bangkok for flouting the curfew without sound reason.

"They too will be prosecuted," Piya said.

Since last Wednesday, the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation imposed a curfew in Bangkok and several other provinces barring people from travelling during the night. These measures were taken to curtail the unrest.

As soon as red-shirt leaders announced the end of the rally at Rajprasong intersection last Wednesday, up to 36 buildings in the capital and several city halls in the provinces were set ablaze.

This was in addition to fierce gunfights between unidentified, armed men and security officials.

In Ayutthaya, 14 curfew violators have already been given a month's sentence, suspended for a year, and fined Bt1,000 each.

Pol Colonel Paiboon Charoenpanich, deputy chief of Ayutthaya police, said 40 people were arrested on Sunday night and early yesterday.

"They too will be sent to court," he said.

-- The Nation 2010-05-25

p_up.gifp_report.gif

p_mq_add.gif