What Does This Mean?

syd barrett

What is the meaning of the phrase 'Toll Air' in Thai, from one woman to another woman, never a man.

I understand that it is an insult, but I cannot fathom the meaning.

I understand that it is a bad insult but I am curious. Any Thai speaking Falangs can enlighten me?

:o

It means liar ...but it's not allways bad !

It can sometimes mean  something  like

" ohh what a big fibber you are "  depends on the situation.

What's the difference with ko hok?

I'd say more like "insincere" but can be both more playful (among friends or with a playful tone) and more insulting (among strangers or when angry) than 'mai jing jai'... but not outright "lying" and certainly not "disgusting."

Easy enough, eh?

What is the meaning of the phrase 'Toll Air' in Thai

ทุเรศ tu ret =shameful conduct,shabby treatment of guests,disgraceful

ทุเรศ tu ret =shameful conduct,shabby treatment of guests,disgraceful,

obscene;pitiful

another word for pitiful

น่าสมเพช na som pet

น่าสังเวช na sang wet

Try it more like "dtol air", sure it means bull sh1t

too lae, tu ret or even too late is shameful, shabby as said

Yep, I agree that '(to) bullshit' is a good translation. In most contexts I've heard it, it has been as a single word comment to somebody saying something they perceive as being untrue, and a reasonable translation would be 'You're full of it (i.e. s**t)!' or 'That's a load of c**p!'.

For non-English readers, the 'r' at the end of 'dtol air' is not pronounced.

There is no correct trancription of course, but I would choose 'dtaw lae' - the first syllable takes the mid tone, the second syllable takes the rising tone.

Syd Barrett is learning Thai? I read today The Floyd were reforming for the first time in 21 years for The Big 8 concert, debt relief in Africa, but that referred to Roger Waters, there was no mention of Syd, the genius behind 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' LP.

Anyway Syd, it's great to see you on TV, 'bullshit' covers 'dtor lair' in all its forms as it can mean lies, exaggerated or outrageous claims,etc.

As for you yourself Syd , you were always far too mystical to be described in such terms.

From http://www.thai-language.com/id/139784

ทุเรศ  thooH raehtF 

1.  [verb, intransitive]   

definition

to pity

2.  [adjective]   

definition

pitiable; wretched; miserable; shameful; shabby

3. น่าทุเรศ  naaF thooH raehtF  [adjective]   

definition

appalling; disgraceful; shameful; gross; nasty

ถูกต้อง

Just to clarify, we are dealing with two different expressions here.

dtaw lae ตอแหล and thureed ทุเรศ are not the same word.

Ajarn's dictionary definition covers ทุเรศ, and RamdomChances first description is right for ตอแหล , which is probably what the OP was looking for.

What is the meaning of the phrase 'Toll Air' in Thai

ทุเรศ tu ret =shameful conduct,shabby treatment of guests,disgraceful

ทุเรศ tu ret =shameful conduct,shabby treatment of guests,disgraceful,

obscene;pitiful

another word for pitiful

น่าสมเพช na som pet

น่าสังเวช na sang wet

correct.

Oh no... another thread that's gonna get me into trouble with my missus...  :o

totster  :D

As I thought..... :D

When saying "Toll Air" to my wife she explained that it was very bad for the person you are saying it to. She says saying this to someone could invoke violence.. :D

However, saying this between good friends can be done in a joking way.. :D

totster :D

It means liar ...but it's not allways bad !

It can sometimes mean  something  like

" ohh what a big fibber you are "  depends on the situation.

What's the difference with ko hok?

I'd say more like "insincere" but can be both more playful (among friends or with a playful tone) and more insulting (among strangers or when angry) than 'mai jing jai'... but not outright "lying" and certainly not "disgusting."

Easy enough, eh?

I do agree with this explanation.

โกหกgoh hok, means to tell a lie, to lie , to forge. The usage of this word is as direct as the meaning.

ตอแหลdtor lae, means to lie, to fib and sometimes means talkative for kids. But it can be used in many senses , can be both bad or good , depends on the situation and one who we are talking about.

For kids who are talkative but cute and smart , we can say 'แหม เด็กนี่ตอแหลจังเลยนะ', but don't for get to smile when you say this to make sure for the listeners that you are praising that kid.

For men who like to talk facetiously, we can say'อีตานี่ตอแหลจะตาย ไม่รู้เชื่อได้หรือเปล่า This guy is always joking, we can't be sure whether he tell a lie or truth.

For women who like to wheedle guys, we can say ยายนั่นตอแหลจะตาย ถ้าเชื่อมีหวังโดนหลอกจนหมดตัวแน่Don't believe that girl, otherwise she will wheedle all your money out of you.

This word can be used among friends and between lovers to banter each other when anyone tell a lie in the joking way.

If anyone tell me that I'm ' ขี้โกหก ' I will be very angry. But if they tell me that 'เอ็งนี่ ตอแหลชะมัด' , I would smile because it doesn't sound that bad, just sound like I have the gift of the gab. :D