Buying A 2nd Hand Car Fees?

Now I have read a lot of posts detailing the requirements of purchasing a car;

1) Non Resident Visa (Any Type), yet some claim any Visa...

2) Resident Certificate from Thai immigration (Cost 500bt)

3) Optional: Work Permit?

My question is 'what are the actual total fees involved' in converting a car from a Thai to Farang name.

The owner I am purchasing a car off (Maybe)... states that because I am on a Tourist Visa he needs to pay more. For them to 'take care' of everything. I did not like the sound of it and he wishes for the supposed 2600bt Farang pay to register and an extra 2000bt to take care of everything. :)

I said i am fine going to get my Non Immigrant B Visa, work permit next month as scheduled. Then do the deal under the terms of the law, as stated above. Yet naturally he is in a rush to sell and needs the money. The price is good and I checked it is in his name, etc, etc. So he cannot wait the 1.5 months and needs to sell soon.

Also he took out 2nd Class car insurance to near the value of the car with a 2000bt excess. Yet he states to leave the policy name blank, as you do this if you are to have many drivers of the vechicle- is this correct. :D

Any help- would be appreciated...

If your own Embassy is still open, get a letter stating your address in Thailand.

That will do for registration of the vehicle in your name.

Thai driving license will help, because of the Thai ID-number.

There are no extra fees for registering a car to a foreigner.

I get a real bad feeling reading the story.

Guess there are more cars for sale in Thailand.

Edited by hansnl

If your own Embassy is still open, get a letter stating your address in Thailand.

That will do for registration of the vehicle in your name.

Thai driving license will help, because of the Thai ID-number.

There are no extra fees for registering a car to a foreigner.

I get a real bad feeling reading the story.

Guess there are more cars for sale in Thailand.

Yes the extras keep heading up- are you saying there is no transfer fees? Naturally there must be rego costs.

The quoted that Thai's pay 1600bt rego and Farang's 2600bt- for ANY car- is this true?

And yes I am speaking to the owner later today and need to come armed with some actual evidence- if there is a source site for Thai rego fees in English that would be great. Thanks again.

And yes naturally there will be more bargains to be had in the curent economic climate especially- if I was to pull out of this one as advised.

Farang pay to register and an extra 2000bt to take care of everything

Number of things spring to mind..

What is the car number plate ? what is the present owners address same area as you..

Do you live in this Provence?

is the car over 7yrs old?

These things take time... My present car I bought outside my local Provence, there was a fee to take care of everything, but I did it myself if you have time it is not difficult, need new numbers + new tax + new insurance with the new number plates, fine to drive it around until these items are ready, than 1 week later had to take the car back for the Test [MOT] take off the old numbers and tax, you then get your new numbers + tax + green book + basic insurance back with your name inside..

Of course that is 2 days, sat in the offices waiting.. Where I live there are 63 houses in the Village everyone has a car some have 2 or 3.... My car makes number 5 that have the local Provence numberplate's

If I have let the seller 'take care of everything' then the car would have kept the BKK numberplate's

Have to pay registrationfee, depend on mdel, age and value of the car. If it's almost new ,you have to pay more, can be a couple tousend for a 1 Millon Baht car, but about 1'800 Baht for a 17 year old Corolla. Depend on age and value of the car. Maybe have to pay road tax and compolstery insuracne as well. Compulstery insurance is not the same as third partie. Again the same story. Amount of roattax, depend on age value and type of car. For exampla 4 door Pick up is more expensive than 2 door Pick Up. So unless you not mention the exact model and year of the car, noone can give you exact information. Farangs need a certificate of living, which cost another 500 Baht (bribe), some provinces is free, but not in Pattaya or BKK.

Farang pay to register and an extra 2000bt to take care of everything

Number of things spring to mind..

What is the car number plate ? what is the present owners address same area as you..

Do you live in this Provence?

is the car over 7yrs old?

These things take time... My present car I bought outside my local Provence, there was a fee to take care of everything, but I did it myself if you have time it is not difficult, need new numbers + new tax + new insurance with the new number plates, fine to drive it around until these items are ready, than 1 week later had to take the car back for the Test [MOT] take off the old numbers and tax, you then get your new numbers + tax + green book + basic insurance back with your name inside..

Of course that is 2 days, sat in the offices waiting.. Where I live there are 63 houses in the Village everyone has a car some have 2 or 3.... My car makes number 5 that have the local Provence numberplate's

If I have let the seller 'take care of everything' then the car would have kept the BKK numberplate's

CMai plates- my registered address that I hand to car rego place is Lumphun (Incl. 'take care' of fee)

Live between Lumphun and CMai- built house in Lumphun with Thai wife.

10 year old Toyota Corolla on Gas.

Talking with the owner he states that the extra cost will ensure a fast 3 hour turnaround on changing name.

He is fitting gas, fixing engine, other items as we speak to sell to me- if not me then another.

I am to pay a deposit soon if proceeding yet need to work through it in my mind, if this all sounds normal in my experience in Thailand.

The tax man gives a 'take care' of fee to me in the past. Police do a 'take care' of fee to all. Many other 'take care' of fees for everything u can think of throughout the years.... Yet have not done an EXPRESS service guaranteed no problems or hassles CAR service 'take care' of fee with the government. In my mind the extra fee would be worth it- if based on Fact.

They they just need a copy of my passport and a copy of my wifes house book (Proof a residence). All in one day the engine, gas, car is approved by government (We call it Road Worthy check in Aussie), then followed by owner signing over car to my name. I pay the balance... As I am handed my blue book, approval stamps, insurance, etc in the office on the day.

Bing Bang Boom- we are done in 3 hours. :)

Has anyone experienced this & would it be worth the extra $100 'take care' of fee plus a bottle of Johnny Walker Red- Maybe. :D

He saids try think like a Thai- it is the Thai way. The owner has done it on a couple of occasion yet states cannot risk more than 3 or 4 per year... :D:D:D:D:D

I bought a used car about 6 months ago and it was easy. Just take your wife to the DOV and ask. That is what i did. It was a snap. If you and your wife are talking...LOL . Use her. That is what she is for.

Change name on title.

550 baht.

50 baht to move title from one provence to another. I bought out of the provence i lived in.

Insurance can not be cancled here once bought for the car. If it is on the car now. You have until it expires. When it expires you have to buy the government insurance ( Minimum ) cost. The minimum government insurance only covers the other party hospital bills up to 50,000 baht. But you have to pick up the tab for the other vehicle if it is your fault and yours as well. So i suggest better insurance as soon as you buy the car.

957 baht for Government insurance once it is due. That is it dude.

Also I have a 2.5 diesel two door truck and the registriation on it once a year is 900 baht. cheapppppppp.

I waited until the other insurence expired and then put first class on it and paid the required Government insurance.

I do not know what the high charges he is talking about. I have heard of dumb asses getting taken in pattaya, BKK and other places who dont check it out for there self. Usually to busy chassing pussy or running the bars. To check it out for themselfs.

Do your home work dude. Do not listen to anyone here. GO ASK.

G

Edited by garyk

I bought a used car about 6 months ago and it was easy. Just take your wife to the DOV and ask. That is what i did. It was a snap. If you and your wife are talking...LOL . Use her. That is what she is for.

Change name on title.

550 baht.

50 baht to move title from one provence to another. I bought out of the provence i lived in.

Insurance can not be cancled here once bought for the car. If it is on the car now. You have until it expires. When it expires you have to buy the government insurance ( Minimum ) cost. The minimum government insurance only covers the other party hospital bills up to 50,000 baht. But you have to pick up the tab for the other vehicle if it is your fault and yours as well. So i suggest better insurance as soon as you buy the car.

957 baht for Government insurance once it is due. That is it dude.

Also I have a 2.5 diesel two door truck and the registriation on it once a year is 900 baht. cheapppppppp.

I waited until the other insurence expired and then put first class on it and paid the required Government insurance.

I do not know what the high charges he is talking about. I have heard of dumb asses getting taken in pattaya, BKK and other places who dont check it out for there self. Usually to busy chassing pussy or running the bars. To check it out for themselfs.

Do your home work dude. Do not listen to anyone here. GO ASK.

G

Ok, if you are beable to change ownerships for 550 Baht per car i hire you as change title agent of all our used cars. I pay yu 1'000 per car, so you still make 450 profit ber car. Ok?

Typical farang romours, peaple who not even know anything, just try to spill over Pattaya residences, and acting like "supersmarts". There are not only Pussychchassers in Pattaya. And by the way what you are here for? Noone comes to LOS for the nice beaches or the temples. Everyone get involved somehow with someone overhere, otherwise could stay back in Europe.

Doing car business for 16 Years and i never saw a car title changed for 550 Baht. Again: Even a 15 year old Corola still cost about `more than 1'000 Baht to change ownership. And the fees are all the same, al over in Thailand. The fee is simple it cost 500 Baht per 100'000 Baht value of the car. The value of the car the ministery of Transportation values on, not the price what you paid for. So car is 300'000 Baht for example is 1'500 Baht, tax, plus 150 Baht for check the car plus sone stamp fees. So it will be close to 2'000 Baht.

For 550 Baht you can do a Motorbike, not a car.

When i first got here i bought a motorcycle it cost me 500 baht bribe and if i remember right 100 or so for the paper to buy. Once a year 100 baht insurance and i think 200 for all fees.

Now i refuse to pay the bribes and fees. And I live in Issan. I go to the DOMV in Khon Kean out of town about 3 KM. That is all i pay.

As far as a car. I bought a used truck and all fees were in my original post.

• 1 year later...

First time vehicle purchase in Thailand:

I bought a truck for 365,000 baht and registered it in my girlfriend's name. We went with the seller to the DLT in Chonburi to do the transfer of ownership. The truck was previously registered in Kolat. The seller used an agent to do the transfer. The total cost of this transfer was 4800 baht. I was surprised and a bit shocked at the cost.

I am told that the agent saved us a trip to Bangkok to do the transfer and for that I paid her 1500 baht (included in the 4800 baht). So, excluding the agent's fee the cost of the transfer was 3300 baht.

Does this sound right?

I bought a used car, 9 years old, 650k, in BKK in December. ownership to my name was changed in BKK. I saw the seller pay about 4.500 baht to the DLT people. I didn't pat anything. The car still has the same plates, so still BKK, and I live in HH. Maybe people on the roads over here will pay me more respect? giggle.gif