2nd Hand Fino's In Chiang Mai?

jayinoz

Was going to post this under Motor section yet I think it better in Community section- mods. Thxs

I am told the Honda copy of Fino (Scoopy) is catching up very fast in terms of new sales. Better economy, price similar, lots of extras, etc. So I would have thought a lot of 2-3 year old Fino's would be for sale in Cmai. There is in BKK...

New the basic Fino is approx 45000bt, so I presume a 2-3 yo Fino in good condition will be approx 25-30K bt. Some are selling down in BKK for as low as 20K bt, yet I suspect those ones are not in good condition.

I am told in the Inner City CMai, near the police Station there is a lot for sale under 30K bt. But i have not found them...

Anyone know of a good 2nd hand motorbike place with Fino's for sale?

I think for $500 more it maybe worth paying for new- I rarely buy new in country of birth. But 2nd hand prices depreciate a lot faster in Aussie.... Yet a good 2nd hand 25k bt Fino may change my mind.

Especially 2-3 years old ones should be available as many Thais finish paying off their monthly fee, then opt for a new one again. Get a bulk amount back then pay monthly again. Even though they are paying a HUGE interest rate- looks like over 20% pa to me. I guess the motorbike company must charge that due to the high risk or default rate. :)

I looked into this a few months back jayinoz and ended up buying a new one. Mainly because a decent 2nd hand Fino was only around 10-15k less than a new one..which may seem like a decent enough saving, but when you factor in insurance, paperwork, etc..its not that much of a saving after all (imo). Buying new meant i was covered for accident, theft, as well as free checkups..plus all the paperwork was taken care of by the dealer. For me it was piece of mind, knowing that the bike was new so no unexpected surprised that couldnt be taken care of.

However, there are several places you can take a look for a 2nd hand Fino. 1 (bit risky, but good bargains) are the regular bike auctions at places like Tesco Lotus/Big C. Unfortunately though, i dont know when they are scheduled. The 2nd place (and which i think is a safer bet) is the Yamaha dealers. They usually have reconditioned bikes available. The Yamaha dealer down at the Three Kings Monument area seems to always have a good selection. They may well include insurance too.

Good luck. :)

Older Finos had much better color schemes than the new ones, that's for sure.

New Scoopy looks much more attractive right now than the Fino though... Honda copy of the Fino, well, yes, but this has been discussed in the bikes forum, the Scoopy was actually around in the 70ies and 80ies as well, just like other Vespa-wannabees from other manufacturers. All these models have a long history. I even saw an old Scoopy in CM recently.

BTW the Fino is desirable, and the old ones look the same (better even) as the new ones, so second hand prices will be high.

Edited by nikster

There's a place that sells used bikes on Rachadumnern Rd (where The walking street takes place). Walking from Thapae Gate.. go down Pass the Wawee coffee shop, pass the big building with bikes outside (its a rental place), but the next shop you see with bikes outside is the place. There's a Woman that sells the bikes with her Husband. Her name is Toon. She speaks okay English, but if you can speak Thai thats awesome and might get you a discount.

Last time I was there, they only had a Gray and Lavender Fino - although you can ask if they have more stored else where (since their shop is tiny). Fino had around 12,000 kilo on it and was about 33,000B.

Personally though, I would just buy new. Fino keeps their price well if its under 20,000 kilos. Over that... hmm I would worry about some needed maintenance.

Like Eek said, buying new is just better. Buy new and (if they dont seem to have a color you like) ask if they can change the color. Shops might have extra Fino panels to change them out.

Or you can just buy a Yahama Mio. Its the same thing as the Fino...just not the retro look, looks like like a normal motorbike. Fino you pay more for plastic covers, but its so pretty... :)

is it just me (probably) but they are more of a girlies bike than a fellas? I sometimes see guys on Fino's and driving Jazz cars and they look... err... sort of feminish? I guess a darker more masculine colour may help...

is it just me (probably) but they are more of a girlies bike than a fellas?

No it's not just you.

I guess a darker more masculine colour may help...

Nope. It is what it is and a lick of paint won't change that.

is it just me (probably) but they are more of a girlies bike than a fellas? I sometimes see guys on Fino's and driving Jazz cars and they look... err... sort of feminish? I guess a darker more masculine colour may help...

yep fashion accessory, but i can see why they like it

No it's not just you.

you need to get the nobbly tyres and crash bar to get more masculine, but will only get you halfway like a ladyboy :)

Yamaha%20Fino%20off%20Road%20Modification.jpg1.jpg

Good guess- it is the my misses wish for either a Scoopy or Fino. Yet i want to use the thing, we have a car i am just purchasing this week- was our rental but rental man needs money so made him an offer...

Thais love new and she is pushing me that way- we looked at some Honda and yamaha shops and the Scoopy has lots of extras...

She was wanting the girlie blue but I would feel like a girl to borrow it- probably her plan. So i am insisting a the more classic colors or brown and black or beige. It looks more classic but I like the more classic looking older ones. Approx 2006-07.

I would feel confortable driving that without feeling like a gay (Not that there is anything wrong with that- Seinfeld quote).

Trying to convince her that the older Classic is better yet New is new. Peace of mind and no hassles for a bit more.

Will look at more during the week- some New models look OK Classic wise but the older ones look more classic. I think in 10-20 years they would be like the 70s, 80s Vespas of today. IMO.

Milage wise Scoopy's are better- yet what a cr#$ name. Plus lots of extras. Ohhh I am driving my Scoopy- Honda would never name it as this in Aussie. Scoopy scoopy Doo... :)

But boy do the New motorbike tell pocky pies about their competition- like the Honda dealers say Ohhh a Fino can only get 30km per litre, it actually 46km. Where Scoopy supposedly 49km... What is this E5 petrol that Scoopy's take- seen E10 i think- not E5. It meant to be a couple of Bt cheaper.

Another consideration between new and used can be economy. As typically a 3 year old vechicle will use up more petrol, but not a lot. Compared to the car it will be NIT NOY. Yet considering changing the car to GAS- supposedly 30km per litre. Started a poll on the motor Forum and some hardcore Gas guys started a debate that is a good value read.

No it's not just you.

you need to get the nobbly tyres and crash bar to get more masculine, but will only get you halfway like a ladyboy :)

Yamaha%20Fino%20off%20Road%20Modification.jpg1.jpg

More Tomboy than Ladyboy - they would go for shocking pink! can't see me riding this thing around though - somethings are just... what they are... and these are for girlies - do see many Thai guys riding them though - but Thais are very 'flexible'

youre worried about fuel economy on a scooter?

whats it take to fill the tank? 50 baht?

100 baht fiIIs my tank to the brim. :)

Worth noting that the new modeIs have a catalytic converter, so burn up more fueI than the oIder modeIs. (Not to mention the occasionaI *putt-putt* sound aIso.)

youre worried about fuel economy on a scooter?

whats it take to fill the tank? 50 baht?

100 baht fiIIs my tank to the brim. :D

Worth noting that the new modeIs have a catalytic converter, so burn up more fueI than the oIder modeIs. (Not to mention the occasionaI *putt-putt* sound aIso.)

try paying 2000 baht to fill up my Toyota :)

oh well, at least no helmet hair!!

More Tomboy than Ladyboy - they would go for shocking pink! can't see me riding this thing around though - somethings are just... what they are... and these are for girlies - do see many Thai guys riding them though - but Thais are very 'flexible'

i could ride one no problem, just not a pink one :)

i mean after all, many guys ride Vespas over in Europe and they dont have a complex over their sexuality, im sure most girls would agree

Edited by Donnyboy

Jayinoz FYI:

Fino's are ok for short distances.

Models up to and including 2009 have no water cooler which makes them prone to overheating, and possible subsequent problems. Not sure about the 2010 model but worth checking out IMO.

Good luck.

Definitely girlie.. But then I think any of the new underbone scooters (with the engine at the back) and tiny tiny little wheels are girlie. So including the Click, Airblade, etc.

ah... :D shall I admit to having an Airblade... :)

Don't feel bad, it's me. :) I suppose Honda Dreams et al were just as girlie with the silly little basket in front. But I don't consider those girlie because I've seen what some hilltribe folk can do with those things going up mountains.. Incredible. Anything that goes well in mud & dirt is by definition not girlie. :D

The new finos arent water cooIed either.

Ive never seen a guy on a fino and thought he Iooked girIy. But big guys / Iarge guys / fat guys do Iook a IittIe precarious on smaII bikes. Not that it matters thought, so Iong as it gets you from A to B. Finos are gorgeous IittIe bikes imo. Adore mine. :)

I've got a Fino, had every intention of buying a new Honda something when a friend mentioned his neighbour had a Fino he might sell; bought it for his daughter when she spent 6mths here, never used since.

Paid 30k, still under warranty and 4k of accessories.

9000km on it now, seems indestructible, never let me down. Someone mentioned overheating - think they've been round long enough if there was a problem we'd all know about it. Used it regularly when in Phuket, travel Chalong-Airport return (90km) two-up got us there and back ok, no great speed of course would stay around 80, and prefer safe and slow. Now we do trips to Sa Kaeo 88k return and no problems.

Buying second hand - if it's all legal, Green book etc and still under warranty, at the right price I'd go for it. I have it serviced at a Yamaha dealer every 3000k, get book stamped etc and make sure they do what's required, last time sat and watched they did it while I waited.

In reality - are there any 'bad' scooters from any of the main manufacturers?

Ive never seen a guy on a fino and thought he Iooked girIy. But big guys / Iarge guys / fat guys do Iook a IittIe precarious on smaII bikes. Not that it matters thought, so Iong as it gets you from A to B. Finos are gorgeous IittIe bikes imo. Adore mine. :)

yea but your not a guy right? I think guys might think the guy on the Fino was slightly less masculine - but then I see many Thai guys on them but I have always thought many Thai men are a bit feminine anyway - no problem with that but not sure me rolling up on a Fino to a local club to find my latest 'true love' would work - unless, as I stated, it was dark coloured and made to look more masculine - bit like I would not put lace and pink curtains in my bedroom.

yea but your not a guy right? I think guys might think the guy on the Fino was slightly less masculine - but then I see many Thai guys on them but I have always thought many Thai men are a bit feminine anyway - no problem with that but not sure me rolling up on a Fino to a local club to find my latest 'true love' would work - unless, as I stated, it was dark coloured and made to look more masculine - bit like I would not put lace and pink curtains in my bedroom.

what if Englands World Cup 2010 football shirt was pink, would you wear it? :D

what if Englands World Cup 2010 football shirt was pink, would you wear it? :D

well... if I washed it with my 'red shirt' it might well go pink (haha) seriously? scroll down>>>>>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

NO

A hot guy on a fino, is going to look like a hot guy. Period. imo. Im sure most women think the same :)

Actually, the fino, for passengers, particularly female passengers is MUCH more comfortable than many other bikes. The main benefit is the position of the legs as a passenger. On the fino you dont feel like you are going for a visit to the gynecologist! Of course if the lady sits side saddle it doesnt matter, but the fino is just a more comfortable in general. It also has a really large seat.

A hot guy on a fino, is going to look like a hot guy. Period. imo. Im sure most women think the same :D

A hot guy on a Fino won't ever look as hot as any guy in a Benz... :D

On the fino you dont feel like you are going for a visit to the gynecologist!

I would hereby like to officially issue the Quote of the Day Award. :)