Sending Money In Regular Mail

Muaythaidan

Chances are very slim unless you write the contents on the card. For extra security address the mail in Thai. Less likley to think one of their own would do something so stupid. :)

On a more practical note, for such a modest amount, why not send it to her mobile phone? Or what about an ATM transfer to her account?

you can do both at the ATM and you can send money to her mobile from a 7/11.

Hope this is more helpful..

0% success rate for me.

I tried to send a birthday card, money inside the card, card inside a plain envelope to Samut Prakan... never made it...

Sent another card without money, made it unopened...

I think that perhaps having a Thai write the address in Thai would make it less obvious, and give you a higher chance of success...

Cheers,

Daewoo

On a more practical note, for such a modest amount, why not send it to her mobile phone? Or what about an ATM transfer to her account?

you can do both at the ATM and you can send money to her mobile from a 7/11.

Hope this is more helpful..

haha i love how you automatically assume that im sending it to a woman, or a thai girl.

its actually for a boy from a village i was at. its his birthday soon, and i want to send him a little gift. 200 baht is a good amount for an 8 year old boy i think.

thanks for the advice everyone. ill give it a shot

As soon as the local postman sees falang writing it will be opened , I have sent a small amount of money a few years ago as an experiment to see if what I had heard was true guess what it is true , none of the two cards got there,

thanks for all the input.

im from Canada. there is a woman at work who is thai, i will ask her to write the address on envelope. as well as the letter will be thai as the kid doesn't speak any English.

I am sure the Canadian post office will be thrilled with an address written in Thai....... :)

0% success rate for me.

I tried to send a birthday card, money inside the card, card inside a plain envelope to Samut Prakan... never made it...

I think that perhaps having a Thai write the address in Thai would make it less obvious, and give you a higher chance of success...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Make sure that he/she dont write his/her own address!

biggrin.gif

0% success rate for me.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Make sure that he/she dont write his/her own address!

biggrin.gif

PMSL!! :)

thanks for all the input.

im from Canada. there is a woman at work who is thai, i will ask her to write the address on envelope. as well as the letter will be thai as the kid doesn't speak any English.

I am sure the Canadian post office will be thrilled with an address written in Thai....... :)

hmm very true.

so... how do i go about this?

i have someone who can write in thai... maybe i should write in thai AND english? i guess that would be my best bet?

For the past 5 years my mother has sent money to my 2 step-kids for birthdays and Xmas.

It's usually a 10 or 20 pound note inside a card. The address written accurately in English.

None have gone missing or been interfered with in any way, but there was one that took over a month to get here.

Before I moved here I once posted a piece of jewelery from England to my gf (now wife) in Thailand. It never arrived. I cursed the thieving bast*rds in the Thai post office.

Several months later one of the staff in my local post office was arrested for theft. When the police searched her home my piece of jewelery was among the items they found.

The moral of this story is that there are thieving bast*rds everywhere. :)

Edited by chickenslegs

Its just one of those things.

All of my bills arrive with no problem. ANTHING from abroad, doesn't.

Even a registered letter from the UK.

The P.O. (in Chalong) initially denied any knowledge (a month after it had been posted in the UK).... Once I queried this, and obtained the necessary identification numbers from the poster, amazingly it turned up the next day....

BUT, it had no money - it was just copy certificates.

couple of years ago my husband (thai) posted a photo album with pics of our new born son, 2k baht in various note sizes (left over holiday currency) & a UK cash card. Sent via royal mail from UK & he wrote the address in both English & Thai & also left a note, taped to the inside of the envelope stating that if anyone were to steal anything in this letter they would burn in hel_l & have all sorts of bad karma befall them (or something to that effect). Interestingly, the package arrive at the in laws tampered with btu restuck down with nothing, including the money missing. Seems a note with a well worded curse might work :)

:) Many years ago on one of my trips back to Falang land I had 2000 Baht left. I stuck it in an envelope and mailed it regular air mail to my wife in Thailand. The fees to send it by Western union was nearly as much as the amount. Needless to say , It never arrived. Never forget TIT! This is Thailand,

LL