Is This Your First Revolution?

rideswings

Im really excited to be witnessing history in the making, although I am sad about the people who have died so far in this melee. I have been through some riots, natural weather disasters, and crises such as Hurricane Katrina, Son of Sam, Jamaican worker general strike, and the Crown Heights riot, but never been in a country while a revolution was going on.

Is this your first revolution? Have you ever been in a country as a civilian while a revolution was going on thats worse than this one? Frankly, while my wife is very upset and scared, Im just shrugging my shoulders, hoping that it all ends quickly, and trying not to let it get in the way of my daily routine.

Edited by rideswings

I have seen the Vietnam War demonstrations, fall of the wall of Berlin. But I never saw anything like this so much hate for each other. I guess you never know the power of money. In Asia you can buy anything if you have money.

Went through the People's Park riots in Berkeley, California (1969) and the Seattle WTO riots (2000?). But I wouldn't dignify this latest mob action of thugs and common criminals with the word "Revolution." If it's a "revolution," it's the most disorganized (factions, splits, left hand not knowing the right hand's direction etc, ), and weakest-led (leaders fleeing while telling the sheeple to "fight to the death," renegade bosses doing their own thing), movement I've ever seen.

"Revolution" implies high ideals for which people fight to the death (unlike the example of the self-proclaimed leaders). I haven't talked to a red yet who can clearly articulate what they're fighting for, and what system they want to replace the current one with. As close as I can guess, they'd be content with another Khmer-Rouge type regime ("kill any elite, especially if they wear glasses!").

Don't inflate their heads with "revolution." Keep the concept simple and accurate: "mob."

Edited by toptuan

It may have the makings of a revolution. One could argue that Thailand is in a pre-revolutionary situation. The shortsightedness and disunity of the present red leadership doesn't negate the fact that the underprivileged, especially from certain regions, are angry and have support in the city. They're also fuelled by ethnic differences, but not religious ones. Encircling the city is a maoist strategy isn't it, and especially effective when you have fifth columnists (cab drivers, motorcycle taxi men, etc.) inside. Still, both the amartya and the red backers have too much invested in the present system to allow genuine revolutionaries to get much influence I think.

Revolutions are projected as noble and romantic in the rhetoric of their supporters (and Hollywood scriptwriters), but the histories of the French and Russian revolutions reveal lots of incompetence, disorganization, communication breakdown, good intentions gone awry, internecine fighting, demagoguery, emotionalism, disappointment, disillusion and, eventually, corruption and decay. You may know the saying: "Revolution is a mother who eats her own children".

I was in Vientiane when it was "liberated" in August 1975 and remained till the end of that year. Even that short time was enough to demonstrate that people who make revolutions are hopeless governors - incompetent, having no respect for truth and honour, worldly and easily corrupted, ready to set aside their professed ideals the moment their personal status or power is questioned. Look at what a revolutionary says a year before victory and look at what he's saying and doing a year after (and not simply because they're under pressure). It'll be the same here if the promoters of "class war" get their way.

Edited by Xangsamhua

It may have the makings of a revolution. One could argue that Thailand is in a pre-revolutionary situation. The shortsightedness and disunity of the present red leadership doesn't negate the fact that the underprivileged, especially from certain regions, are angry and have support in the city. They're also fuelled by ethnic differences, but not religious ones. Encircling the city is a maoist strategy isn't it, and especially effective when you have fifth columnists (cab drivers, motorcycle taxi men, etc.) inside. Still, both the amartya and the red backers have too much invested in the present system to allow genuine revolutionaries to get much influence I think.

Revolutions are projected as noble and romantic in the rhetoric of their supporters (and Hollywood scriptwriters), but the histories of the French and Russian revolutions reveal lots of incompetence, disorganization, communication breakdown, good intentions gone awry, internecine fighting, demagoguery, emotionalism, disappointment, disillusion and, eventually, corruption and decay. You may know the saying: "Revolution is a mother who eats her own children".

I was in Vientiane when it was "liberated" in August 1975 and remained till the end of that year. Even that short time was enough to demonstrate that people who make revolutions are hopeless governors - incompetent, having no respect for truth and honour, worldly and easily corrupted, ready to set aside their professed ideals the moment their personal status or power is questioned. Look at what a revolutionary says a year before victory and look at what he's saying and doing a year after (and not simply because they're under pressure). It'll be the same here if the promoters of "class war" get their way.

I retract my rant and defer to Xangsamhua's astute observations, especially the bold font (my edit). Got it off my chest. though, and it feels good. :D

P.S. I guess I was really thinking of the flawless American revolution with all its high ideals, high ethics, riveting non-stop drama, handsome-young-Heath-Ledger-type warriors, and impeccable noble leadership...if the movie "Patriot" is any indication. :)

Edited by toptuan

I retract my rant and defer to Xangsamhua's astute observations, especially the bold font (my edit). Got it off my chest. though, and it feels good. :D

P.S. I guess I was really thinking of the flawless American revolution with all its high ideals, high ethics, riveting non-stop drama, handsome-young-Heath-Ledger-type warriors, and impeccable noble leadership...if the movie "Patriot" is any indication. :)

I think "War of Independence" is a better turn of phrase for rebellion led by the slave-owning British landowners against the crown - some of the wealthiest individuals in the Empire at the time. Anyway, that one all seems to have turned out for the best...

Though unlike Toptuan, that was before my time, so I can't comment too much on it (oops - already have).

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I was there that night too and you would have to admit that the corruption was a little less there for a little while. :)