Battle In Bangkok - This Is No Peasant's Revolt

webfact

Obviously they both worked hard and built up their Mini Empires only to see parts of it burned down and looted by a orchestrated paid for Mob who want that kind of success,but given to them on a plate without the effort.Chapter two maybe?

These are not mini empires. These are empires. Yes, built up through hard work and massive corruption by foreigners, some of whom have little if any regard for the poor of their adopted country.

Som nam na.

Complete contempt for the livelihoods of the working class people who work there.

Thoroughly reactionary.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete contempt for the livelihoods of the working class people who work there.

Thoroughly reactionary.

OK, let's see if these leader of Thai industry will keep employees on the payroll -- instead of sacking them -- as they rebuild.

An interesting little snippet of a situation in Melbourne overnight.

POLICE shot a man who tried to hijack a bus outside Essendon railway station yesterday.The man boarded the Keilor Park-bound Ryan's bus with a pocket knife as it was was parked in Rose Street about 5.40pm.

These police won't be going to jail. The premier won't be going to the Hague.

This is a standard response all over the world when police are in danger of their lives, or when someone presents a danger to other people's lives.

Ofcourse, the police could have let the guy drive the bus away instead of shooting him, but we all know that wouldn't be a good thing.

Thoroughly reactionary.

OK, let's see if these leader of Thai industry will keep employees on the payroll -- instead of sacking them -- as they rebuild.

Highly unlikely.

The point is that the reds have attempted to destroy industry and commerce and caused loss of work and income.

This is why the red movement is anti-working class and the workers wish them to hel_l.

Civil protests are extremely well tolerated in Thailand. But when the leaders of protests start threatening to burn down buildings, derail public transportation, and killing people, it is another matter indeed and the government has every right in the world to crack down as hard as they need to maintain the safety of its civilians.

Good point.

Perhaps the Thai Goverment should have a closer look to other countries, like Spain or UK, that have reinforced their laws to fight terrorism and street violence. With this new laws, they do not allow people who supports or does not condemn violence (like ETA Basque terrorist actions) to organize a political party, to be part of a goverment, or to receive financial support.

Street people have freedom to think and say what they want, but if a public person supports violence, that's another story.

Edited by Thotsarot

The problem with this blather and it has been The Nation, the Dems and the Yellow PADS line for years, is that the Reds that I know are members because the REDS did something for them. Real simple.

The Nation repeats this over and over, in a blinkard effort to convince themselves THAT NOTHING SHOULD BE DONE FOR THE UPCOUNTRY RURAL POOR. Wow! When you see Ostrich head in the sand myopic vision you really wonder about the long term prospects of this country. I don't think subsistence is going to cut it anymore guys.

Thoroughly reactionary.

What kind of bull are you spewing... i am sure you are an employee as any owner will already be facing HUGE losses - and you expect them to continue to rack up extra loses keeping all their staff and paying them - while at the same time trying to rebuild... my god are you living in a fantasy world.

Thoroughly reactionary.

What kind of bull are you spewing... i am sure you are an employee as any owner will already be facing HUGE losses - and you expect them to continue to rack up extra loses keeping all their staff and paying them - while at the same time trying to rebuild... my god are you living in a fantasy world.

Doesn't seem that unreasonable to show you are a benevolent employer:)

Thoroughly reactionary.

Doesn't seem that unreasonable to show you are a benevolent employer:)

:) i dont mind to assist, however we are talking about re-building a whole building - that will take minimum a year or so... would any of you really give your hard earned money to your employees for all that time without any kind of return??? just being realistic - now should they sue those responsible, then yes they should give some of the money to those now out of the job with the rest going to rebuilding. know is harsh - but thats the world we live in.

Sirikit Center, Khlongtoey subway stations are severely damaged

BANGKOK, 20 May 2010 (NNT) – The Deputy Governor of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) says Sirikit Convention Center and Khlongtoey subway stations are severely damaged, with grenade and Molotov cocktails remaining at the venue.

The MRTA Deputy Governor Ronnachit Yamsa-ad cited that the MRTA along with the police had basically investigated the damages at Sirikit Convention Center and Klongtoey subway stations, and found several F-1 grenades, Molotov cocktails, oil soaked clothes and tires in the neighborhood. Also, glasses around the stations and CCTV cameras were destroyed and escalators burnt.

He said on 21 May 2010 the MRTA together with the Bangkok Metro Public Co Ltd would hold a meeting to assess the damages sustained from the chaos.

The MRT subway has suspended its operation since 15 May 2010 with a loss of four million THB a day.

The Advisor to the Bangkok Mass Transit Syatem Public Co Ltd (BTS) Anat Apapirom stated that the company had not yet entered the BTS stations to check damages. The investigation of the BTS can be launched after getting a safety clearance from the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES).

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255305200056

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional information:

The Queen Sirikit National Convention Center is a convention and exhibition hall in Bangkok, Thailand.

It was named in honour of Queen Sirikit, and opened by King Bhumibol Adulyadej and the Queen on 29 August 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Sirikit...nvention_Center

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The F-1 fragmentation hand grenade is a high explosive, anti-personnel grenade with a lethal radius of 6 meters, casualty radius of 15 meters and a safety radius of 30 meters. The grenade weighs 375g and contains over 4000 2.4mm steel ball fragments with a fuse time of 4.5 to 5.5 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_grenade_%28Australia%29

118699f260.jpg

Thoroughly reactionary.

With what money exactly? They are losing millions daily. Don't be ridiculous. If you feel so badly and you support the arsons perhaps you should donate your income or pension to the poor and needy who have lost jobs due to the red uprising.

As far as the businesses effected, they should pay their employees through the month of May, move some to other outlets if they can be accommodated, and let the rest go with promises of rehiring when the new stores are rebuilt.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I agree that the Red Shirt leadership were foolish in not accepting Abhisit's compromise without trying to attach ridiculous conditions, but fail to understand how their surrender yesterday meant they abandoned their followers. Were they supposed to encourage their followers to fight to the death?

This is a stupid and irresponsible editorial.

totaly agree, what a mess this has become for all!!!

ey, you (red) guys all established new accounts to continue to spread your propaganda? Amazing :)

Your right, I don´t see Che´s avatar anymore :D

Thoroughly reactionary.

With what money exactly? They are losing millions daily. Don't be ridiculous. If you feel so badly and you support the arsons perhaps you should donate your income or pension to the poor and needy who have lost jobs due to the red uprising.

As far as the businesses effected, they should pay their employees through the month of May, move some to other outlets if they can be accommodated, and let the rest go with promises of rehiring when the new stores are rebuilt.

Maybe the government can offer some funding for those who lose their jobs.

Thoroughly reactionary.

Maybe the government can offer some funding for those who lose their jobs.

Yes I agree to the Govt taking additional funds from Thaksin's bank account to pay these people who are unemployeed as well as the rebuilding of Bangkok.

Yes I agree to the Govt taking additional funds from Thaksin's bank account to pay these people who are unemployeed as well as the rebuilding of Bangkok.

I agree. they should take the funds from all those who were advocating violence

I agree that the Red Shirt leadership were foolish in not accepting Abhisit's compromise without trying to attach ridiculous conditions, but fail to understand how their surrender yesterday meant they abandoned their followers. Were they supposed to encourage their followers to fight to the death?

I think it is a well writen article by somebody who is well informed, unlike yourself............... Google the "jonestown massacre" and see how that guy Jones led masses of people in the wrong direction (almost a thousand followers commited suicide).............. Just as these lovely Isan folks, Ill-educated as most are, have been easily led astray. If you really think it is about Democracy -- you're naive......... If you notice that most of us back the Govt and a minority back the red-shirts----- If you know anything about Democracy, or life in general, you will know that the majority rules and wins............

If the majority support the government, why didn't Abhisit call an election, win it and then none of this would have happened. The blame rest firmly on his shoulders. You cannot deny people democracy year after year and expect no consequences.

You are right, in a democracy the majority rules and wins..... Democracy is NOT what is happening in Thailand. It hasn't seen democracy since the coup.

So 2 governments formed by PPP were illegal and undemocratic too? Put these alongside the illegal Thaksin government who stayed beyond the time which they were allowed to and you have 3 illegal and undemocratic governments formed by Thaksin and his crony parties.

This "he hit me first" argument usually doesn’t convince anyone beyond the age of 5.

The atrocities of May 19 did not happen on the PPP’s watch. They happened under Abhisit.

Like the parent who doesn’t care who started it, I say it is time to give the people of Thailand a proper say in the future of their country.

I think it is a well writen article by somebody who is well informed, unlike yourself............... Google the "jonestown massacre" and see how that guy Jones led masses of people in the wrong direction (almost a thousand followers commited suicide).............. Just as these lovely Isan folks, Ill-educated as most are, have been easily led astray. If you really think it is about Democracy -- you're naive......... If you notice that most of us back the Govt and a minority back the red-shirts----- If you know anything about Democracy, or life in general, you will know that the majority rules and wins............

If the majority support the government, why didn't Abhisit call an election, win it and then none of this would have happened. The blame rest firmly on his shoulders. You cannot deny people democracy year after year and expect no consequences.

You are right, in a democracy the majority rules and wins..... Democracy is NOT what is happening in Thailand. It hasn't seen democracy since the coup.

Man I am getting tired of typing this. NO ELECTIONS ARE REQUIRED UNTIL SOMETIME IN 2011. They had elections after the coup in 2007.

Let's say he called elections next month and the democrats and their partners won? Since the reds didn't get the outcome they liked, should the govt. bow down and call elections the next month?

That would be like the McCain supporters burning down Washington because they wanted elections called after Obama was in office for a year. There are laws regarding elections and when they should be held.

Abhisit offered them elections a year early. They just became more violent. They DONT want elections. They want their paymaster Thaksin back in power. It's really quite clear. I don't understand why some posters can't understand this.

When 3 parties were dissolved early last year, a significant proportion of voters in the 2007 election no longer had a representative in the parliament. That was the proper time to dissolve parliament and let the people speak again.

If that had occurred then this would not be happening now.

This "he hit me first" argument usually doesn’t convince anyone beyond the age of 5.

The atrocities of May 19 did not happen on the PPP’s watch. They happened under Abhisit.

Like the parent who doesn’t care who started it, I say it is time to give the people of Thailand a proper say in the future of their country.

Next you will be blaming the PM for burning down Bangkok.

I think this is all code for bring back Thaksin.

yes?

I wonder when that will occur and what the ramifications will be.

According to Arisman on this video, his list of targets for burning are:

Siriraj Hospital, All Muslim Mosques, Government House, Important Ministries, Airports, Rajavithi Road, Bridges, Bank of Thailand, Commercial Banks, Military Barracks, Court of Justice, and NGO's

will all be destroyed....

"Not one of these will remain standing."

Here is the longer version.

Description:

pageonejournalist — March 14, 2010 — Starts with a comment that Abhisit and Prem are intimate and ends by saying that Suthep's list of sensitive targets will be wiped off the face of Thailand if Redshirts are injured by government.

And yes, that list includes Siriraj Hospital, among other things.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

(

)

So now there are three different videos of Arisman clearly inciting arson to a large crowd. The other two are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2vRhaHRzuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9XiJoWSSs

Siriraj Hospital, All Muslim Mosques, Government House, Important Ministries, Airports, Rajavithi Road, Bridges, Bank of Thailand, Commercial Banks, Military Barracks, Court of Justice, and NGO's

Description:

pageonejournalist — March 14, 2010 — Starts with a comment that Abhisit and Prem are intimate and ends by saying that Suthep's list of sensitive targets will be wiped off the face of Thailand if Redshirts are injured by government.

">

(

)

So now there are three different videos of Arisman clearly inciting arson to a large crowd. The other two are:

Arisman is a facist

The comparison to the Philippine "People Power" movement might be a good one (excepting that Abhisit cannot be in any way compared to Marcos). Oh, how idealistic Filippinos were enlisted into that with such high hopes for honest government, improvement in their quality of life, political freedom, progress and democracy. But what has the PP movement achieved, this many years later, for Filippinos? Nothing much. Manila infrastructure is in ruins. Westerners more at risk there than ever. Economic growth lagging behind the rest of SE Asia, and its benefits, limited that they are, simply raked into the pockets of the politically advantaged, of whom there are many at the trough. Political corruption is more widespread than ever; politicians live like commissars. Iconic national symbols like the Univ. of the Philippines now an embarrassment. Filippinos still scrambling for overseas positions (or emigration) in order to be able to support their families back home where domestic unemployment is (still) high. Just some new highways (and one has to ask for whose benefit were they actually built)... Oh, and perenially creative statistics at every election cycle - plenty of smoke & mirrors, "talking points", for the massses.

Thailand can expect no better from the redshirt movement. Maybe worse. There'll just be a new policital elite. A changing of the guard. An economic assault on the fledgling middle class Thailand so badly needs. Nothing more. Even if the reds all go to jail and PM Abhisit stays just where he is, I'm pretty sure some of this will still have to come about in the longer term.

Some corrections:

People Power was no "enlistment". It was a spontaneous combustion, people simply got fed up with being under the Marcos boot/s and rose as one huge, ginormous mass of angry, oppressed people. It helped that a military faction broke away and joined them. The masses were, to a man, ready to lay down their lives versus the gov't tanks and soldiers sent to crush them.

With the Red Shirts from the get go, we neither see, hear, nor feel the righteous indignation or the moral ascendancy of the poor versus the rich idealism. There is only bombast, angry rhetoric, accusations and demands from, guess what, their middle to upper class leaders. From the get-go, splashing blood on the Gov't House was a sign of their true intent: blood will be spilt.

You easily dismiss achievements of PP as "not much" because you are looking at the arse-side of history. This country achieved good to better int'l financial ranking, investments poured in, and general confidence of the int'l western countries was enjoyed by all. Agreed, it went downhill after Aquino and the removal of US bases.

One last thing: "ruling and political elite" exist in most "democratic" countries including the West. People are just now realizing and decrying this, the powerful US included. By your own measure they are indeed no better than these struggling Asian countries.

Agreed. I live among the poorest of the poor in Thailand. It took me about thirty seconds to see through this facade. There was never any agenda representing the poor. I was all about "we want democracy". And the lunatic red leaders put a spin on it that if the poor supported them Thaksin would return and liberate them. They fell for it of course hook, line and sinker....

pimay11, I'm wondering if you've had a chance to talk to any of the villagers in your area that have returned from the rallies in Bangkok. Did any stay until the end? What are they thinking now, and what in your opinion comes next?

Edited by Misty

Description:

">

(

)

Arisman is a facist

Anyone got these with an English translation?

So 2 governments formed by PPP were illegal and undemocratic too? Put these alongside the illegal Thaksin government who stayed beyond the time which they were allowed to and you have 3 illegal and undemocratic governments formed by Thaksin and his crony parties.

1. Can you define 'the atrocities of May 19th?

Most of the atrocities were perpetrated by black shirt thugs and gangs of vandals bent on any form of destruction. I do not blame the misguided Red Shirt core protesters but the leaders.

2. Had Thaksin been in power, what do you think his response to a "peaceful protest" ,that turned violent, would have been?

3. Do you really think that with the mood in the country at this moment that fair elections could / should be held?

Before the burnings, the leaders were offered dissolution and November 14th elections, who do you think put the damper on that idea?

4. Are you anxious to see the return of Thaksin at any price?