Visas For Africans In Laos

Thank you for reading I.. need urgent help and replies.A friend at my school (in Loei)is from Cameroon Africa.He needs to make a visa run and feels that he must travel to Bkk then to Cambodia..Laos is 3 hrs..Cambodia.12+. He he said he has heard that there is discrimination in Laos at the Thai Embassy.Is this true?Can he expect any problems either at embassy or staying in Viengtianne?I thank all who take the time to reply.I would appreciate any Black Africans who have made this run to Laos to share their experience..Many Thanks..

Have not seen recent reports but last reports I did see would indicate he might not be able to obtain in Vientiane (but do not know what the criteria used is or was).

However, there are sure a lot of Africans there in Vientiane, a couple of the hotels on the riverfront downtown seem to cater to them. Resident? Probably not, so getting a visa to some where.

Loei's not all that far from Nong Khai, or expensive for the Lao Visa On Arrival at the bridge. The guy could probably give it a try for baht 2,000 or a bit more.

Sure cheaper, if it works, than heading to Phnom Penh, KL, or Penang, or Saigon.

Mac

Not much help but The MFA Website says this.

4. Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa only at the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General in the applicant’s country of residence, or at the Royal Thai Embassy which has jurisdiction over his or her country of residence. Travellers are advised to enquire about authorised office for visa issuance at any Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General before departure. Contact details and locations of Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General are available at www.mfa.go.th/web/10.php.

Africans CAN NOT apply for Laos Visa on Arrival and CAN NOT for a Thai Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane/Laos.

The Africans got banned from the Embassy at some Nigerians attacked Consular staff last year.

Phnom Penh is a possibility to get a Single Entry Tourist Visa.

I have seen on some Embassy that Africans have their own queue and maby they inspect people from Africa a bit harder, but it is perhaps not surprising in view of what's going down on Sukhumvit in some soi`s...

I have seen on some Embassy that Africans have their own queue and maby they inspect people from Africa a bit harder, but it is perhaps not surprising in view of what's going down on Sukhumvit in some soi`s...

OK, if his nationality is listed below, no VISA ON ARRIVAL, but he could go to the Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen and see about getting a visa there. That'd be cheap from Loei.

Mac

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

Effective from 15 October, 2009, travellers holding passports from the following countries are not eligible for Laos Visa on Arrival.

Afghanistan

Algeria

Bangladesh

Burundi

Cameroon

Congo

Cote d’Ivoire

Ghana

Guinea

Guinea Bissau

Jordan

Lesotho

Liberia

Libya ( Libyan Arab Jamahiriya )

Mozambique

Nauru

Niger

Nigeria

Pakistan

Senegal

Sierra Leone

Sri Lanka

Suriname

Suriname

Syria ( Syrian Arab republic)

Swaziland

Tonga

Turkey

Zambia and Zimbabwe

According to notice No. 1232 issued on 1 October 2009, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR, nationals on the list above must obtain their visas at Lao Embassies or Lao Consulates abroad before entering Laos.

However, there is an exception for those nationals who are on official visits and who hold a guarantee letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Laos.