Censoring Of 'rude' Words

eyebee

I've noticed that the board is very inconsistent when censoring 'rude' words. For instance the words "dam_n" and "fuc_k" get changed (as you will see when I post this), but the British English "<deleted>" and "arse" are left as they are. I guess the board software is very US-centric and can only recognise American English swear words. If you want to protect your users from 'naughty' words, maybe you should look at the database of words that the software finds offensive. This is not a complaint, merely an observation.

Edited by eyebee

The board filters words which have specifically added to the database. If you feel certain words should be added to or deleted from the filter list just send an email to support@ with your suggestions. :)

Actually, isn't it a bit silly. Just putting an underscore in a word doesn't change the word at all, and if someone is offended by the acrual word, they will still be offended by the censored word. And some words (dam_n for instance) are so mild, I don't see why they should be censored at all. Not bloody likely, as Eliza Doolittle would say!

I cannot understand why this forum software does n't automatically 'bin' abusive posts.

Here's an example from a forum today:

Phuketsiegel: Get the fuc_k out of my country you racist, ignorant piece of white trash. Every country has had their difficult time in history. Every country has had their growing pains. If it's so horrible here for you, then go back to where everything runs perfectly. What's wrong? Can't make it back there, can you? Can't get laid there, can you? Nobody will look at your pasty, white fat fuc_king ass there, will they? You can't have your sense of superiority amongst other white people, can you? You ignorant fuc_k!

That post is available for all to see. It adds zero value to the thread. It should not require 'manual' moderation to remove it. It should never have been posted on the forum in the first place.

It is not 'rocket science' for the forum application software to automatically scan postings for a list of offensive words and deny the poster their moment of glory.

Simon

I cannot understand why this forum software does n't automatically 'bin' abusive posts.

Here's an example from a forum today:

Phuketsiegel: Get the fuc_k out of my country you racist, ignorant piece of white trash. Every country has had their difficult time in history. Every country has had their growing pains. If it's so horrible here for you, then go back to where everything runs perfectly. What's wrong? Can't make it back there, can you? Can't get laid there, can you? Nobody will look at your pasty, white fat fuc_king ass there, will they? You can't have your sense of superiority amongst other white people, can you? You ignorant fuc_k!

That post is available for all to see. It adds zero value to the thread. It should not require 'manual' moderation to remove it. It should never have been posted on the forum in the first place.

It is not 'rocket science' for the forum application software to automatically scan postings for a list of offensive words and deny the poster their moment of glory.

Simon

Whats wrong with that post?The guy just says what's on his mind and,however I haven't seen the thread in which it is posted, he is just describing the situation of 90% of the posters on this forum.

Edited by basjke

And exactly where does one draw the line as to which words are offensive or not? An example of a screw (is that offensive) up is where a search engine considered "breast" as an offensive word not so long ago, possibly some still do censor it. The board software is not AI, that's why they need humans to interpret meanings behind various word use. The above example is a flame regardless of the profanity and bbs software won't know the difference.

If you find software that can do the above please let us know and we will put it to good use in the News Clippings. :)

"<deleted>"

Perhaps the best-known use of the term is in the title of the 1977 punk rock album Never Mind the <deleted>, Here's the Sex Pistols. Testimony in a resulting prosecution over the term demonstrated that in Old English, the word referred to a priest, and could also be used to mean "nonsense". Defence barrister John Mortimer QC and Virgin Records won the case: the court ruled that the word was not obscene.

It isn't possible to censor anything perfectly but aside from the decorum aspects, the truth is that too much profanity can hurt your search engine rankings, so we use the censor to deal with that. Abusive members are dealt with manually, regardless of astrixes or underscores.

I don't understand why 'hel_l' is sensored? :)

neither do i. that syllable is a part of my family name and it required quite some effort to convince the Florida Department of Transportation to accept it on a personalised car license plate.

I don't understand why 'hel_l' is sensored? :D

neither do i. that syllable is a part of my family name and it required quite some effort to convince the Florida Department of Transportation to accept it on a personalised car license plate.

:) Mr Water H ell. loveit.