Someone Ran Into My Car.

Excuse the ignorance here, but I have never had an accident before in my car, any car actually. Some woman ran into my car tonight and came up to my office all apologetic. I asked if she had insurance and she said no. I got her name and agreed that she would pay the damage when I gave her the reciept.

I don't think it will be much. The question is, should I contact my insurance for any reason?

I guess if the woman hadn't admitted it, they might have paid it.

I feel sorry for the woman, accidents happen.

If I claimed from the insurance would my "premium" go up?

I know bugger all about insurance, as you probably can tell :o

Don't bother the insurance guy, I'd say, but I would get your agreement on paper witnessed and signed at any cop shop for some further protection.

I kinda find it hard to believe she doesn't have current car insurance. Not easy to get away with that anymore. Too easy to spot the sticker. Maybe she doesn't want to file a claim, either.

I don't know if rates get raised after a claim, but you'd lose the discount offered to some claimless drivers.

Ajarn:

I always thought it was the car that was insured here, not the driver (although you can limit the premium by naming specific drivers to a car, which the owner of the car she was driving may have done).

Also, it is not unheard of here for someone to claim they have no insurance following an accident because, in fact, they don't have a DL - did you see her DL?

SM :o

Ajarn:

I always thought it was the car that was insured here, not the driver (although you can limit the premium by naming specific drivers to a car, which the owner of the car she was driving may have done).

Also, it is not unheard of here for someone to claim they have no insurance following an accident because, in fact, they don't have a DL - did you see her DL?

SM  :o

Sumitr Man, yes, that's what I meant. She was driving a car, right? I find it hard to believe her car didn't have insurance.

Good point about the DL. I'd assume they must be a legal driver to make a claim. You sure don't need one to pay for and get the insurance, though :D

Since you have had no prior experience in this regard, I would suggest you report the accident to your insurance company and let them deal with the situation. There are so many possibilities that could occur wherein you could be on the losing end, your really not in a position to protect yourself.

Since you were not driving your car at the time of the accident, there is no possibillity of your being involved in an accident for which rates would be increased.

Your a long way from getting re-inbursed for your loss and failure to report the accident waives your rights to recover from your insurance company if the woman stiffs you since your delay in reporting may waken your insurance companies ability to recover from the woman.

I am assuming you have coverage for property damage to your car, not just third party liability coverage.

If you have 'comprehensive' insurance, contact them. They will pay for the damage and it is them up to them to extract something from your lady friend.

If you have anything less ('3rd party' or just 'compulsory') forget tell the insurance company, get the car fixed and hope she coughs up.

I have only got the "compulsory" insurance.

I think i'll do as Crossy says.

lost_in_isaan, she is very attractive.

I trust this woman, knowing that the security guards saw the whole thing and she works in the same place as me, sometimes. Maybe she doesn't have a DL.

All the damage is on the driver's door, affecting the electric window. I don't know yet how much it will be as I haven't had time to see a mechanic. Maybe I could bash it out myself. It is a 20 year old car, but still worth 1000 pounds.

I don't care how my car looks, but I might when coming to sell it :o

lol, i thought so..

let her off, and use the brownie points later...

crossy recommends contacting your insurance and getting them to sort it. i remember a few years back when I had an accident with another vehicle. It was clearly my fault and no damage was done. At the time the other driver said no problem. I was so pissed off about 3 weeks later when I got a bill for a bumper respray from their insurance company.... Easy for you, but a pain in the ass for the offending party.

Edited by lost_in_isaan

Best to contact the insurance right away. A claims agent will show up within anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes (if you're in Bangkok anyway and have a policy with any of the main firms like Viriyah, New Hampshire/AIA, Liberty, etc.) and then deal with the offending party and often try to collect on the spot. Both parties sign, and they'll track down the other party/or their insurance company later if it's a larger claim than what's collected (although with all of the fender benders aroudn town, these guys are pretty accurate).

First class insurance is the way to go for service.

Congrats and welcome to Thailand. Did you not know in advance that Thailand driving is called Demolition Derby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Expect a few more hits my friend and more likely you might see your outside mirror sic disappear as a Biker goes by. :D

The only way you can be safe here is rent an Abrams Tank. But be sure to wear your ear muffs :D

Daveyo

Yo man, I'd try and 'kill two birds with one stone' and start finding out if the babes single... though if she owns a car its likely she is married.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-06-15 05:20:37)

Yo man, I'd try and 'kill two birds with one stone' and start finding out if the babes single... though if she owns a car its likely she is married.

If I were single, this would be a great opportunity :o Unfortunately, well maybe fortunately, I am not. I'd be very surprised if she were single.

My dilemma now is, after going to my Uncles garage, is that he said he can fix the window and door lock and puch out the door for nothing, being family.

This is the first chance I have to put my car in for a service. Do I tell this woman, "no problem, don't pay me anything"(remember I am married).

Or do I ask her for something, receipt is no problem.

I think she should pay something for her stupidity(and my inconvenience), I had to drive 100km yesterday without air, and couldn't close or open the window fully.

I can't play golf today(no car). There will be a mark on the door, showing that it has been in an accident, ovbiously lowering the car value.

What do you think?

Question==== How do you know she is a she and a lady or a ladyboy or whatever you might call the things!!!!!!!!!

You have to check it out first before making any major decisions concerning her doooo dads, but if I were you chap, pass the beauty aside and deal with this person as if it were a man and your done.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And get your money for that damage period. Best advice I can give you is don't put up with the Thai BS.

Daveyo