Another Pickpocketing

Briggsy

My mate was pickpocketed at The Mall Bangkapi. He lost a considerable amount of cash, 12,000 Baht.

Normal MO but unfortunately he had never heard of it. Gang stands close and surrounds the victim on the up escalator. At the top, bloke bends over to tie his shoelace creating a pile-up behind. People bump into one another and the money is taken.

You've heard it all before and it will happen again. Please warn the newbies.

I wouldn't let people crowd around me in the first place in SEA, its easy enough to avoid the squish.

Looking slightly intimidating also often helps them pick easier targets, being tall helps. So hang out with tall people :)

cant believe he was so unconcerned about leaving 12000 loose in his pockets :) that amount should be kept in a sealable zip/button pocket or money belt.

I always keep that amount securely in a zip up wallet in my front pocket...

Yet somehow every night I hit the town, I get pick pocketed, but they only take the money and leave the wallet... I awake in the morning and it is all gone, except for maybe enough to buy breakfast on the way to the ATM... The pickpockets here are very skilled...

Daewoo

It was a Thai gang or foreigners?

My mate's not that clued up on the difference between Asians. He only said there were all Asian, he assumed Thai. Also he said none of them spoke. He thought it was unusual they all bumped and barged him and didn't say sorry. He didn't notice the money was missing till much later.

This is the second time he has been parted from his cash in Thailand. The first time was in Suwannaphoom airport when he left a bag full of cash on a counter for a minute. He came back to find the clerk "counting" it but some was missing. He lost that too. He likes to carry a few thousand baht or more around with him, "just in case". Don't think he'll be doing that for a while. I myself usually carry 2-3,000 Baht around with me.

cant believe he was so unconcerned about leaving 12000 loose in his pockets :D that amount should be kept in a sealable zip/button pocket or money belt.

I always keep that amount securely in a zip up wallet in my front pocket...

Yet somehow every night I hit the town, I get pick pocketed, but they only take the money and leave the wallet... I awake in the morning and it is all gone, except for maybe enough to buy breakfast on the way to the ATM... The pickpockets here are very skilled...

Daewoo

wow really!! you get pickpocketed every night??!! you could hire a bodyguard for cheaper than the amount you lose .... or keep it in your shoe!!

in nearly 15 years here i have never been pickpocketed (im touching wood and crossing my fingers right now) but however i have been drugged and robbed twice. both times by street girls when i was drunk :)

oh yes and also 3 ladyboys tried to mug me on pattaya beach early one morning but i fought back well. 2 ran away and left me to beat up their friend after he hit me over the head with an iron bar. a small crowd had gathered and applauded me when i'd finished.

"why didnt you help me?" i asked "you were doing fine" they said lol

hahaha hey daewoo youre having a laugh. you mean you spend it but cant remember right? how slow am i this morning :D

Edited by Randee

It was a Thai gang or foreigners?

My mate's not that clued up on the difference between Asians. He only said there were all Asian, he assumed Thai. Also he said none of them spoke. He thought it was unusual they all bumped and barged him and didn't say sorry. He didn't notice the money was missing till much later.

This is the second time he has been parted from his cash in Thailand. The first time was in Suwannaphoom airport when he left a bag full of cash on a counter for a minute. He came back to find the clerk "counting" it but some was missing. He lost that too. He likes to carry a few thousand baht or more around with him, "just in case". Don't think he'll be doing that for a while. I myself usually carry 2-3,000 Baht around with me.

with respect but your friend doesn't seem to care very much about taking care of his money. i think the theives are seeing him coming and taking an advantage of an easy opportunity. but hey what doesn't destroy you makes you stronger and wiser. he's learning the hard way.

Edited by Randee

note to self ; continue not to go to the mall bangkapi

With so many notes to self on where not to go, you'll soon be self confined to where you reside. :)

maybe his notes to self (if on paper) will serve him well, acting as a decoy. maybe the pickpockets will accidently steal them believing it to be his money

hahaha hey daewoo youre having a laugh. you mean you spend it but cant remember right? how slow am i this morning :)

You must have had a night simillar to the ones I have when I get pick pocketed... :rofl:

hahaha hey daewoo youre having a laugh. you mean you spend it but cant remember right? how slow am i this morning :)

You must have had a night simillar to the ones I have when I get pick pocketed... :rofl:

many many many ... and they do it with pretty faces and smiles!

note to self ; continue not to go to the mall bangkapi

With so many notes to self on where not to go, you'll soon be self confined to where you reside. :)

The guy must be a halfwit that he has to write everything down that he wants to remember.

Just to put a different perspective on things. In the past year here I have once experienced a pickpocket attempt, and it was on the very crowded Skytrain at rush hour, right around Nana (of course!). Naive, I just thought it was being packed into the car so tightly...but soon realized the feeling on my butt was no accident...but the guy had failed to realize I keep my wallet in my front pocket. Nevertheless, his hand wandered to my front pocket...where I already had my hand in my pocket as a safety measure. I whirled around to confront him just as the Skytrain door opened. He said, "Too crowded in here for me, mate!" Stepped out on the platform and ran down the stairs.

As you probably already noted, the word "mate" along withe accent made me realize the pickpocket was not Thai, but Australian.

And just for the smart asses...this all took a few seconds, and no, I wasn't enjoying the hand on my butt. :)

As you probably already noted, the word "mate" along withe accent made me realize the pickpocket was not Thai, but Australian.

Sorry mate, But I was pickpocketed the night before, and needed some cash to get me through... I must ask tho, do you work out??? :):D

Daewoo

Sorry mate, But I was pickpocketed the night before, and needed some cash to get me through... I must ask tho, do you work out??? :D:D

Daewoo

:D:)

cant believe he was so unconcerned about leaving 12000 loose in his pockets :) that amount should be kept in a sealable zip/button pocket or money belt.

uh yeah.