Retirement In Thailand?

philliphn

In the light of the recent events in Thailand.

Would you retire in Thailand?

For years I dreamed of retiring in Thailand. I made plans and and saved the funds to do so.

Now finally, I will retire after the first week in June. It seems obvious that right now is not the time to arrive in Thailand for retirement.

Perhaps a year from now would be a better time to start my relocated retirement in Thailand.

How many of you expats are considering leaving Thailand after the current political situation has manifest itself their?

Would you consider retirement in Thailand now?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I amnot sure I would chose here now. Today I looked at Philippine visa site. To go there is cheaper only need $10,000 american deposit and $800 a month american, and the $10,000 you can invest it in property in the future. I have had 800,000 baht sitting in my account since I came here with no interest paid on it., That is arround $25,000 american of dead money just sitting there doing nothing but giving me a visa. I recommend look at Philippines. Way better investment wise.

My thoughts. I live in Thailand, l am English and have traveled all over the USA and thought it great, in fact if money was no object l would live in your country. BUT, it depends what YOU want from life, what are you looking for, why with all those states of America, totally different climates and way of life do you want to go else where. ?

Maybe because the US is flat broke. 33 US states are as broke as Greece.

You have made plans to retire here in a week and now you are asking people on Thai Visa for advice?

The time to retire in Thailand was 1968. It has been getting worse every year.

If you wait a year it will be worse than it is now.

It's your dream, go for it mate. Don't let this stop you.

I have never been under any illusion, in good times or bad, never invest into Thailand that which you cannot afford to lose, and, don't buy anything you cannot legally own outright.

Things are not that bad. If they were, there would be a queue from the Victory Monument to Suvarnaphumi with farangs chomping at the bit to get out.

Although after reading some people's posts here, by the time this thread is over you will more than likely want to lock youself up in the cellar and never come out.

You're from the land of Nike - Just Do It.

Cheers and good luck. I am retired here and I doubt I could be any happier or more contented than I am now.

You donot say were you will live. But I would do it and forget the PI the food is really bad and they have corruption on a par with Thailand. How many times have you been to Thailand it sounds like you have been here a few so just do it.

You started this thread so I don't think it's too personal or invasive to ask these questions but I'm interested in;

1. Why of all the places in the world are you attracted to retring in Thailand?

2. Where else have you looked at and considered?

3. Where are you planning to live?

4. Why has the recent troubles affected your plans?

I'm a long way off of retirement but I am likely to live here for the foreseeable future, the recent trouble hasn't scuffed a perfect image of Thailand for me as I was quite aware that it's not the perfect paradise everyone dreams it is, there are many problems here and if what you've just seen on the news has made you change your lifelong plan I'd recommend living here temporarily for a couple of years to experience all of Thailand's flaws and see if you still want to spend the rest of your days here.

Edited by UKMatt

If you are going to retire anywhere in the world other than your home country you are taking a gamble. But, whatever happens, take it but always keep a backup fund for when/if it all goes pear shaped.

Life is a string of opportunities, let one pass and you"ll always wonder what might have been, take any one and you'll know what would have been.

I amnot sure I would chose here now. Today I looked at Philippine visa site. To go there is cheaper only need $10,000 american deposit and $800 a month american, and the $10,000 you can invest it in property in the future. I have had 800,000 baht sitting in my account since I came here with no interest paid on it., That is arround $25,000 american of dead money just sitting there doing nothing but giving me a visa. I recommend look at Philippines. Way better investment wise.

I'd also recommend giving the Phillipinnes a look at least, avoid the main cities as Manila is a hole, Cebu is not much better. Everyone will hate on the Phillipinnes for whatever reason but until you try it you have no idea how good it is. If I didn't meet my Thai gf last year I would probably be living there now. Filipino food is shit but if you go to the farang destinations, Puerto Gallera etc ie anywhere with a large expat community there will be western restaurants to accomodate them.

For better or worse Americans shaped the country into what it is now. Everyone speaks at least basic English and most of the time you forget you are talking to an Asian as they can totally understand and relate to what you mean, it makes a huge difference on the friend situation there with locals, also Tagalo is about 30 to 40% Spanish so you're living with a latin based language which is easier to pick up than Thai and their alphabet is latin too so you can at least read road signs, airport boards, menus etc, again completely unlike Thai.

One big plus for me is that Filipinas are the most talented race I've ever come across, it's no coincidence that every decent band in the rest of Asia is full of Filipinas, there is awesome live music everywhere in the Phillippines which is something that always goes through my mind when I'm sat in a Thai bar listening to another awful rendition of a mispronounced classic song.

I'm not saying move there but have it a look, I had the most amazing time of my life there. However if the last two months has scared you off of Thailand don't read their history until you get there!!

This is a question that no one can advise you on.

It depends on your financial and health situation.

The present political climate here is Thailand is in chaos and most of us are living on a hope and a prayer that Thailand will regain some sort of normality again. The immediate and long term future is unpredictable.

The bank exchange and interest rates are the worst hit for years and for those here living on pensions or incomes from abroad, cash incomes have decreased by about 33% over the last couple of years.

If you have major health problems and require long-term medication and health care, this can be extremely costly in Thailand.

Food, vehicles, social, medical, cable TV, phone and Internet etc can be more expensive than in the West if you want to live Farang style.

So there are the facts and if you can afford it, keeping in mind that you will probably not be able to find work or other means to gain addition income, than welcome to Thailand. Otherwise you move here at your own discretion.

Another major factor to consider is that once you have packed up completely in your own country and moved to Thailand, it would be extremely difficult to reverse the process and return home again. Over here if all goes pear shaped, you’re on your own, no ones going to be able to assist you and if you’re here on a retirement visa requiring 800000 baht in the bank or a pension income of 65000 baht or a mixture of both and you can’t sustain this, than it`s 7 days notice to leave the Kingdom.

This is a question that no one can advise you on.

It depends on your financial and health situation.

The present political climate here is Thailand is in chaos and most of us are living on a hope and a prayer that Thailand will regain some sort of normality again. The immediate and long term future is unpredictable.

The bank exchange and interest rates are the worst hit for years and for those here living on pensions or incomes from abroad, cash incomes have decreased by about 33% over the last couple of years.

If you have major health problems and require long-term medication and health care, this can be extremely costly in Thailand.

Food, vehicles, social, medical, cable TV, phone and Internet etc can be more expensive than in the West if you want to live Farang style.

So there are the facts and if you can afford it, keeping in mind that you will probably not be able to find work or other means to gain addition income, than welcome to Thailand. Otherwise you move here at your own discretion.

Another major factor to consider is that once you have packed up completely in your own country and moved to Thailand, it would be extremely difficult to reverse the process and return home again. Over here if all goes pear shaped, you're on your own, no ones going to be able to assist you and if you're here on a retirement visa requiring 800000 baht in the bank or a pension income of 65000 baht or a mixture of both and you can't sustain this, than it`s 7 days notice to leave the Kingdom.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth!!

While some things are cheaper than back home, you will still spend a lot of money here just trying to live a reasonable life and anything considered a luxury will usually cost much more for lesser quality i.e. Satellite TV, Internet etc. And that's not taking into account all the other expenses that blindside you such as taking care of your Thai girl and her family.

I'm beginning to get settled now and things are not at all like I dreamed them to be after I first holidayed here 6 years ago (of course) but luckily I'm still happy here with the way things turned out, if there was anything I couldn't live with and I had already moved here like you are planning then I would be screwed.

Get some sort of life here first before you decide to move here, and that way you can be sure if you can live here.

i doubt if we shall see 50 bht to the GBP ,, good bog paper ,, again ..

western and euro [ zero ] countries , are going down the pan ,rapidly ..

i am looking at other asian countries , as an option , if the gbp falls much more .

over the last three years ,, the fall in value equals 10 bht / annun ..

take this trend to conclusion .. hope i am wrong ..

I'd be quite interested to hear what people think about the 'where' question. The OP is preoccupied with what happens if civil unrest grows, so let us assume that this happens to some extent (I'd be delighted if it did not). I already have a house in central Isaan and feel safe in my village. I live in the redshirt heartland and am relaxed about that. In the above future scenario I might not feel quite as sanguine wandering around Central in Khon Kaen or The Mall in Khorat. I might be more nervous about visiting cities where I am not among friends. I would think people in the north might feel the same about Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai - even somewhere like Toplands in Phitsanulok could be a target if there were ever a bombing campaign. Of course, that is also the case in spades if one chooses to live in Bangkok.

I'd say Pattaya would be okay as long as westerners don't become a specific target. My guess is that smaller towns in the east, the west or the middle south would be safer. So I'd wonder about Kanchanaburi, Rayong or maybe Hua Hin as places to live. These areas would be quieter but not entirely devoid of western comforts and the odd night out.

For myself, I decided a long while ago that I'd try to maintain a house in both the UK and Thailand. My work allows some time in Thailand and I will try to keep that going until 65. The idea I once had of moving to Thailand full time at 60 seems unattractive now - as much because of the rising cost of living as the recent trouble.

Unless you have strong ties to Thailand I would say no - look elsewhere.

I love many things about Thailand, but if you have no strong ties here or family, I would say choose somewhere else for the time being at least. Holiday yes - Retirement without attachments no... Indonesia, Vietnam....

I would say. If you are still young in body and mind then, YES. If not NO.

If you rent rather than buy, if you do not need everything farang and if you already have a sweetheart who is willing to look after you and be with you then. cool.

That way you are not really tied down. You gotta think 'how much is this house gonna cost to buy' how much can i get a house to rent. then work out the figures eg 6,000b x 12 = 72,000b x 10 =720,000.

At the moment i am visiting relatives in Britain,the sun is shinning and where i am is lovely .All i am thinking about is coming home to my wife and son in Thailand, i wouldnt live anywhere else ,go for it and just accept it as it is ,not the way you want it to be.

If you want to live farang style in Thailand = more expensive than home.

If you live Thai style = cheaper than home

Just don't live it like " te dream " and you'll be fine.

This is not a bad comment at all. Quite true.

It all depends on what you want from your retirement years.

If your money is already in place then it can be a good thing, if not, my guess would be your relying on your pension funds which are pretty much up the wall

at the moment (euro, pound).

As for the troubles, hopefully the goverment will get a grip of things and bring Thailand back to what it once was.

You started this thread so I don't think it's too personal or invasive to ask these questions but I'm interested in;

I'm a long way off of retirement but I am likely to live here for the foreseeable future, the recent trouble hasn't scuffed a perfect image of Thailand for me as I was quite aware that it's not the perfect paradise everyone dreams it is, there are many problems here and if what you've just seen on the news has made you change your lifelong plan I'd recommend living here temporarily for a couple of years to experience all of Thailand's flaws and see if you still want to spend the rest of your days here.

1. I like the women and their availability. You can have the use of female energy when and if you want it. I don't like the cold. I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

In the U.S.A you will have a very lonely life if single and past a certain age.

2. Mexico. This is a poor option compared to what I have known in Thailand.

I am considering Costa Rica and the Phillipines as possible alternatives.

3. I plan to live in Pattaya. I love pattaya even with it's warts.

4. No one wants to live in a war zone. If things deteriorate more especially economically my white skin might make an obvious target. I am almost 55 years old. Not the martial artist that I once thought I was.

Of course wherever I am. I can always move.

1. I like the women and their availability. You can have the use of female energy when and if you want it. I don't like the cold. I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

In the U.S.A you will have a very lonely life if single and past a certain age.

2. Mexico. This is a poor option compared to what I have known in Thailand.

I am considering Costa Rica and the Phillipines as possible alternatives.

3. I plan to live in Pattaya. I love pattaya even with it's warts.

4. No one wants to live in a war zone. If things deteriorate more especially economically my white skin might make an obvious target. I am almost 55 years old. Not the martial artist that I once thought I was.

Of course wherever I am. I can always move.

I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

I think you are going to be just a statistic in crashing and burning farang style in Thailand.

One thing to remember when reading TV, it has a lot of very unhappy people who enjoy nothing more than making other people unhappy. For the most part they are unhappy because of money. They come in with a few bucks in their pocket and a pension and plan to live like a king, party every night different girl every night and life is great until they find them self broke and trying to struggle on the crappy pension, Then it is Thailands fault that they are broke and unhappy and can't go home as they burnt all their bridges.

So take some of these post with a grain of salt. And unless you have the funds to sustain the life style you want don't come > If you do have the money and can manage it to grow not deplete over the years than come and enjoy yourself. You only live once so Be Happy!!!!

I have visited Thailand 4 times for about four months time total. I have a good friend who has lived in Thailand for 6 years. I know that Thailand is not and will never be a perfect paradise. I find Thailand interesting and entertaining.

I think you are going to be just a statistic in crashing and burning farang style in Thailand.

How about elaborating.

You don't know me. It just sounds like you think that you are superior.

I think you are just arogant!

One thing to remember when reading TV, it has a lot of very unhappy people who enjoy nothing more than making other people unhappy. For the most part they are unhappy because of money. They come in with a few bucks in their pocket and a pension and plan to live like a king, party every night different girl every night and life is great until they find them self broke and trying to struggle on the crappy pension, Then it is Thailands fault that they are broke and unhappy and can't go home as they burnt all their bridges.

So take some of these post with a grain of salt. And unless you have the funds to sustain the life style you want don't come > If you do have the money and can manage it to grow not deplete over the years than come and enjoy yourself. You only live once so Be Happy!!!!

I have a pension of half pay and $1000.000 in assets.

I have a pension of half pay and $1000.000 in assets.

:):D Go for it!