Thai Govt Needs A PR Campaign Urgently, Experts Say

webfact

Govt needs a PR campaign urgently, experts say

By KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN

THE NATION

The government urgently needs a public relations campaign to restore the country's image and promote unity among the people, PR experts have warned.

BANGKOK: -- Nimitz Modrakee, CEO of 124 Communications, said the government should avoid reinforcing previous mistakes, and consider the recent incidents as a step in developing democracy in Thailand. It should also set a clear direction for communications for all government offices and agencies to follow, he said, with all messages being concise and delivered directly to anti-government protesters and grass-roots activists.

"In my opinion, the government should act as 'facilitator', not 'controller'. It should not obstruct communications or the flow of information from either side's [pro- and anti-government] media. I think that people have a right to consume information, whichever side they are on. People will make their own judgements as to which information is right or wrong, and as to what they should believe," said Nimitz.

He urged officials not to enter into arguments with groups that are opposed to the government, and to implement reconciliation plans. The focus should be reaching out, he said, especially to grass-roots groups.

Hasan Basar, managing director of Bangkok PR, led the International Reputational Recovery programme implemented by then-Prime Minister Anand Panyarachun after the 1992 Black May crisis. He said there are two things the government has to get right if Thailand must succeed with its public relations efforts.

"First, it must act fast. Now. Immediately. And second, it must do it professionally, and with strong leadership. There is too much at stake to experiment," he said.

Basar said that devising a PR programme and determining what needs to be done is the easy part. The hard part is how it is implemented. On that score, on executional competence, he said, the government has consistently shown that there is a lot of room for improvement in its public relations work.

"Prime Minister Anand got involved personally. He appointed people who knew what they were doing - experts with real experience. He kept the team small. And he empowered them. And, as a result, he succeeded. That's my advice," said Basar.

DC Consultants and Marketing Communications CEO Danai Chanchaochai said there were two parts to the effort to restore the country's image: internal and external.

"Given the unrest and conflict among the people, the first priority of the government should be to promote unity and nationalism among the Thai people. The government should reinforce social responsibility as part of the soul and DNA of all individuals," said Danai.

"In my personal opinion, we [all Thai people] have our own duty in building national unity and our beautiful culture together," he said.

Danai said that when it comes to the external part of the equation, it was the duty of all Thai people to monitor the international media, which he said had reported the situation in a biased and unethical manner, and to express their concerns and disagreements.

"We have seen a new phenomenon in which Thais are raising their concerns and disagreements with [biased] international media through the power of social media, such as twitter and Facebook," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It is unlike the Thai to use pr for anything. They are too arrogant and they thing they know everything.

I hope use a western PR company to help hi, they will run a poll and then propose a method to use. We will see if they do anything sine everything is quite now, and hope it will stay like this for a long time

The country does need an influential PR campaign to regain international faith after the poor (in my opinion) western journalism labelled Thailand a 'failed state'. The so-called underground militants need to be addressed as well as the end of this curfew malarky; before any campaign (PR) can be implemented. I'm from the UK and I still feel safer over here inspite of recent events. Perhaps a focus on the community spirit shown during the clean-up operations around Silom would be a good starting point for PR....

Handing out millions of Baht to local PR companies won't help anyone but them.

It's too early for a PR campaign anyways although I doubt it will stop TAT from saying the opposite.

I suspect any day now an announcement will come out that a massive fam-trip for agents from overseas is planned followed by the proverbial 'Grand Sale' of some kind.

Here's how I would do it.

1) Pay for a 1 minute long commercial to be played world wide that combines Thai folk of all colours saying "we are sorry, please come back and let us prove it to you".

2) In about two months time I would then start an online competition / campaign with thousands of trips to be won. Yes : thousands.

3) Forget the Grand Sale - cliche stuff: Communications must be about safety, reliability, value.

4) Celebrity Endorsement: I don't mean some local celeb that nobody has heard of - we need superstars talking about how much they love Thailand etc.

5) Plan. No adhoc crap to satisfy the noisy wheel of the week.

Well, Takki's using western PR firms quite successfully...

Umm... I'm not so sure about the successful part. But the first rule of positive PR is... you got to have something to be positive about.

Double standard is when Thai Visa accepts someone write Takki's for Thaksin in his post and deletes my posts when I write Abi instead of Abisith.

I'm not angry against this double standard but I can understand Thai people can be.

Double standard is when Thai Visa accepts someone write Takki's for Thaksin in his post and deletes my posts when I write Abi instead of Abisith.

I'm not angry against this double standard but I can understand Thai people can be.

Isn't one of his passports "Takki Shinegra"?

"We have seen a new phenomenon in which Thais are raising their concerns and disagreements with [biased] international media through the power of social media, such as twitter and Facebook," he said

A Thai cultural characteristic; If the media - International media does not agree or dares offer a differing interpretation of events, its biased :)

There is Our View and the Wrong View

Thailand needs a political design that 95% of Thais would love, The Joseph Solution and a sure fire strategy and time table for implementing TJS, The Joseph Plan; :) otherwise, it is quite obvious, the Kingdom will break up into 3 countries.

hmmm PR eh? as in PRopoganda maybe. They need something that will take the wind out of the Pridians sails!

Edited by eggomaniac

Yeah definitely, after being so blasted by biased international media. Honestly, if I was in other countries and having to rely only on the CNN, BBC, etc. I can picture the army going crazy on a bunch of peace loving protestors.

The Gov't need a spin doctor, etc and fast. They have to get their story to the international communities and clarify their use of force.

Yeah definitely, after being so blasted by biased international media. Honestly, if I was in other countries and having to rely only on the CNN, BBC, etc. I can picture the army going crazy on a bunch of peace loving protestors.

The Gov't need a spin doctor, etc and fast. They have to get their story to the international communities and clarify their use of force.

I agree with your comments about the very poor and often quite inaccurate reporting on CNN, BBC, and to a lesser extent Al Jazeera and Channel News Asia from Singapore.

In fact there is an interesteing thread on the Richard Barrow website in regard to a letter of complaint to CNN from a Thai citizen, plus another thread showing a letter of complaint to CNN from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affiars.

One can try to use "bandages" to cover old wounds, but I think part of the PR campaign is for the government to come out with an authentic document outlining what they are going to do to lessen the descrimination between the "haves and the have-nots" AND THEN IMPLIMENT IT! (NO, I was not a Red supporter during BKK's seige and rebellion by the Red Party.) I am referring to the improvement of education in the rural areas (so they have critical thinking skills and know how democracy works in their country); an incentive to stay in school and not drop out at age 15; to give more university scholarships for student who graduates from highschool; to set up community colleges that can teach vo-tech skills such as being a mechanic, carpenter, plumber, electrician, hair dresser, chef...; give more farm subsidies to help out with expenses; provide more co-op farm machines/tractors for agriculture ( most of the rice is still done by hand); raise minimum wage and lower the number of hours in the workweek (I know some Thais that work 10 hour days, 6 days a week-for 200 baht a day. You cannot live on 200 baht a day in BKK) Pass laws against discrimination in hiring and in the workplace (can of worms). Run a public campaign on Thai TV to educate the public what "descrimination" is...

Various countries have faced "social clashes" in the past and have made progress in eliminating them. Back in the 60's there was the political conflict between the Chinese-Malay and the Malays--laws were passed to help the Malays make more progress in their country; then you have the racial riots in the USA in the 60's that resulted to laws prohibiting discrimination and guidelines that improved educaton in the schools for minority groups. (Yes, you critics, I know it isn't perfect.)

Yes, a commercial campaign is needed to erase the images that world has of Thailand around the world...but in the long run will these campaigns get rid of corruption? of the mobs? of hiring someone because of their "name" -not their skill? --get rid of poorly educated people that can be easily manipulate in Thailand?

Edited by toenail

Nimitz Modrakee, of 124 Communications offers some useful advice, but I think a new election monitored by independent observers (like the Carter Center) would be the most powerful statement to the world that Thailand could make.

A new, fairly elected government would achieve instant legitimacy and provide the springboard needed to begin a process of reform.

Edited by misterjag

I would suggest that they use some pictures in their PR campaign from the red leaders in their holiday suites to show how the jails look in Thailand....................What you say,not all jails look like that?Only the ones from terrorists and arsonists.

A certain Mr. Sattchi said recently he wanted to help Thailand's image. Now is the time.

Well he knows exactly what to do, and is a world class advertising man.

No doubts he also has PR and counter-PM guys he knows well and has worked with.

Who could they use for this supposed "PR" campaign that everyone would accept?

Korn is the only one I can think of, and that is a bit of a stretch. That said, they desperately need to connect with the foreign media. Sitting on high with a grey backdrop and bits of cut out foam like a cheap Thai wedding is not the way forward. Where they would find someone with the media savvy and connections to get the stories they want out to CNN, BBC, and all the others I don't know.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the BBC didn't exactly follow the government line. The previous correspondent got shipped out to Turkey after getting whacked with lese majeste charges.

Maybe Dan Rivers would fancy a posting. A million a month and a nice apartment should do it.

Who could they use for this supposed "PR" campaign that everyone would accept?

Korn is the only one I can think of, and that is a bit of a stretch. That said, they desperately need to connect with the foreign media. Sitting on high with a grey backdrop and bits of cut out foam like a cheap Thai wedding is not the way forward. Where they would find someone with the media savvy and connections to get the stories they want out to CNN, BBC, and all the others I don't know.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the BBC didn't exactly follow the government line. The previous correspondent got shipped out to Turkey after getting whacked with lese majeste charges.

Maybe Dan Rivers would fancy a posting. A million a month and a nice apartment should do it.

Agree that a proper and thoughtful PR campaign is needed - especially after the disgraceful international reporting. IMHO, the best folks to put the correct face to the Thailand situation are the farangs that have chosen to live here - and not the politicians. One obvious element could be for the Government to quickly process the PR applications for 2006, 2007 and 2008 - with attendant and widespread publicity.

Thoughts? And more importantly (if the idea has merit) how to advocate it!

There needs to be a PR campaign targeted to the Red Shirt supporters. They are the people who need to have their ways of thinking changed.

Possibly one way could be to get Red Shirt leaders to talk on their radio station about how he or she regrets what they've done and the way forward is to operate within the law and with integrity and respect to all parties.

Veera's surrender speech could be seen as a kickstart to a PR campaign targeting the Red Shirt supporters:

Veera said after his surrender that he was saddened by what had happened over the past couple of days and considered it "a tragedy". He called on "the real red shirts" to adhere to peaceful and non-violent means to fight for their cause.

"I understand what happened over the past few days may cause the red shirts to be angry and upset. I want all parties to end their mutual anger. I would like to tell you that anger will never lead to real peace, and democracy cannot be created by vengefulness and bias," he said.

Source: Time to rebuild By The Nation Published on May 21, 2010.

The initial aim should be to pacify the Red Shirt supporters such that they will no longer be a danger to society.

Edited by hyperdimension

It is unlike the Thai to use pr for anything. They are too arrogant and they thing they know everything.

The great and the good in all countries around the world have their own PR campaigns. Thailand is no exception.

Edited by groper

Nimitz Modrakee, of 124 Communications offers some useful advice, but I think a new election monitored by independent observers (like the Carter Center) would be the most powerful statement to the world that Thailand could make.

A new, fairly elected government would achieve instant legitimacy and provide the springboard needed to begin a process of reform.

and wouldnt the timing be great if Abhisit called an election in 3 months time while support for the reds is low but then I cant see Abhisit doing it as he is to scared of losing and inexperienced as he hasnt yet fought let alone won an election! :)

and wouldnt the timing be great if Abhisit called an election in 3 months time while support for the reds is low but then I cant see Abhisit doing it as he is to scared of losing and inexperienced as he hasnt yet fought let alone won an election! :)

Or, as opposed to your inflammatory comments, Abhisit realizes that the country is so polarized at the moment that free and fair elections are impossible and therefore he would like to see some calming and reconciliation first.

Do you honestly believe that free and fair elections are possible at the moment?

Would any Democrat candidate be able to campaign in Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Sakhon Nakhon, etc?

Unless and until this can be guaranteed then the country has no business holding elections, at least until the latest possible date allowed by law.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Hm... well he has stood and been elected as a a member of parliament, IIRC 7 times.

Regards

Handing out millions of Baht to local PR companies won't help anyone but them.

It's too early for a PR campaign anyways although I doubt it will stop TAT from saying the opposite.

I suspect any day now an announcement will come out that a massive fam-trip for agents from overseas is planned followed by the proverbial 'Grand Sale' of some kind.

Here's how I would do it.

1) Pay for a 1 minute long commercial to be played world wide that combines Thai folk of all colours saying "we are sorry, please come back and let us prove it to you".

2) In about two months time I would then start an online competition / campaign with thousands of trips to be won. Yes : thousands.

3) Forget the Grand Sale - cliche stuff: Communications must be about safety, reliability, value.

4) Celebrity Endorsement: I don't mean some local celeb that nobody has heard of - we need superstars talking about how much they love Thailand etc.

5) Plan. No adhoc crap to satisfy the noisy wheel of the week.

Wishful thinking by the non educated. the only correct statement is the 'too early'.

If you knew anything about ads you would realise the 1 minute TVC would be a croc. Blind Freddy drives the remote between the stupid soap operas. A TVC of any impact would cost USD200,000 and 40% would be in graft to the TAT. Then to air the sucker would be as high as 30,000 USD in prime time say LA. You would need more than 1M USD for a 30 day showing and that is LA, start multiplying that out by 165 cities across the US then try the same exercise across the 3, 290 prime cities globally. Hmm,.. good move. But we could always borrow it from Takky!

Trips may work....

Celebs cost a lot. Ask Angelina to come back and she would bypass straight to Cambodia. No - Jean CLaude can't get enough snow, Nic Cage cannot figure out why Bangkok Dangerous didn't work (he forgot it was about a mute) and then we have ...?

Great Post so far - can I have episode two?