Australian Man Arrested Over Thai Protests

webfact

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

" Dressed in orange prison-issue shirt and shorts, barefoot and shackled in leg-irons, a furious Mr Purcell was led in to Pathumwan Municipal Court in Bangkok yesterday, protesting that he was being unlawfully held.

Visibly angry at his detention, Mr Purcell, 29, a former soldier, refused to stand when told and then yelled at the judge that he would not accept the court's right to try him. ''Nobody in this country has authority over me,'' he said.

He brushed aside a representative from the Australian embassy who was asking him to be quiet and continued his tirade, shaking and pointing at the judge. ''I'm not under Thai law. I'm only obeying international law. I'm head of the red gang,'' he yelled.

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the protest, sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears." :)

source: .Sydney Morning Herald.

Not a smart move.

In Thailand, if you just admit to everything the court say (even if it is not true), you get 50% discount for your sin.

Else you get the full treatment.

The guy must be on som havy stuff!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article of his outburst in court actually made me laugh. Let him do it the hard way if he wants.

The hard way is the only way this sociopath Clockwork Orange character will ever get to know. He's a lost cause, a societally indefensible character while entitled under civilized law to a defense, hasn't one. He's just certain he's above any law of any society, of any civilization anytime anywhere. Accordingly, protect and preserve Thailand and all of us by putting this criminal sociopath behind bars for the remainder of his international citizen unnatural antisocial life. 

The article of his outburst in court actually made me laugh. Let him do it the hard way if he wants.

The hard way is the only way this sociopath Clockwork Orange character will ever get to know. He's a lost cause, a societally indefensible character while entitled under civilized law to a defense, hasn't one. He's just certain he's above any law of any society, of any civilization anytime anywhere.

Accordingly, protect and preserve Thailand and all of us by putting this criminal sociopath behind bars for the remainder of his international citizen unnatural antisocial life. 

:)

"Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions." --- Wm. O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice (1898-1980)

Isn't this your signature ?

Whatever this man has done....I'm glad Thailand isn't ruled and judged by Farang Expats.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Here is something I don't get. The Australian guy was arrested for...

Mr Purcell, 30, was arrested under the emergency decree used to end almost the protests in Bangkok.

Right, for violating the emergency decree. So how come the 3,000+ red shirt protesters were not arrested as well? Instead they were given free bus rides back home. Now, I understand that he had no business protesting in a country where he's only a guest ...but isn't that a little funny?

Mr Purcell, 30, was arrested under the emergency decree used to end almost the protests in Bangkok.

Right, for violating the emergency decree. So how come the 3,000+ red shirt protesters were not arrested as well? Instead they were given free bus rides back home. Now, I understand that he had no business protesting in a country where he's only a guest ...but isn't that a little funny?

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that Mr Purcell gave speeches in which he incited violence whereas the other 3,000+ didn't?

And no, it isn't a little funny.

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that Mr Purcell gave speeches in which he incited violence whereas the other 3,000+ didn't?

And no, it isn't a little funny.

Certainly isn't to Mr. Purcell......

(sorry) deleted some

Get out the book, slam it in his face, put him away and throw away the proverbial key. It's the proven only way society, civilization, over millennia have been able to deal with his beyond the pale and outside the common bounds demented mentality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian government would like this guy and his case to disappear. Unfortunately he seems to be an Australian citizen, so he has some rights. Keep in mind that any embassy is not present to help it's citizens though, they're there to represent and promote the country, business, and (reluctantly) take care of citizens who did something stupid.

When I am in Thailand I enter under my British Passport

My Australia passport is worthless in Thailand

Many people I have talked to say the same

The British embassy will come to your aid

The Australian, well to busy collecting visa money

If you apply for a permanent stay visa in Australia acceptance is 94%

If you apply for a permanent stay visa in Thailand acceptance is 52%

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

" Dressed in orange prison-issue shirt and shorts, barefoot and shackled in leg-irons, a furious Mr Purcell was led in to Pathumwan Municipal Court in Bangkok yesterday, protesting that he was being unlawfully held.

Visibly angry at his detention, Mr Purcell, 29, a former soldier, refused to stand when told and then yelled at the judge that he would not accept the court's right to try him. ''Nobody in this country has authority over me,'' he said.

He brushed aside a representative from the Australian embassy who was asking him to be quiet and continued his tirade, shaking and pointing at the judge. ''I'm not under Thai law. I'm only obeying international law. I'm head of the red gang,'' he yelled.

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the protest, sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears." :)

source: .Sydney Morning Herald.

Not a smart move.

In Thailand, if you just admit to everything the court say (even if it is not true), you get 50% discount for your sin.

Else you get the full treatment.

The guy must be on som havy stuff!

Lock him up in the Bkk Hilton until the International court comes to Thailand to hear his case

I had a hunch this guy might be mentally ill. If he isn't he gives a good semblance of it. He clearly has no idea of the magnitude of his delusion or the meaning of his actions while under it. I hope the court takes that into consideration and is merciful. The other guy, well he may have to do a stretch. Delusion is one thing, but actions, possibly violent and/or destructive actions, are another.

If he's remanded to a Thai governmental mental hospital, he will soon wish for a transfer to a Thai governmental prison.

Maybr th over 3000 did not get up on stage and prevoke illegal action

The hard way is the only way this sociopath Clockwork Orange character will ever get to know. He's a lost cause, a societally indefensible character while entitled under civilized law to a defense, hasn't one. He's just certain he's above any law of any society, of any civilization anytime anywhere.

Accordingly, protect and preserve Thailand and all of us by putting this criminal sociopath behind bars for the remainder of his international citizen unnatural antisocial life. 

:)

"Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions." --- Wm. O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice (1898-1980)

Whatever this man has done....I'm glad Thailand isn't ruled and judged by Farang Expats.

LaoPo

As I'd previously had to point out to the unintiated, freedom of speech does not include a 'right' to falsely shout "FIRE" in a crowded cinema. There also is the limitation of free speech established by the "clear and present danger" doctrine of the US Supreme Court (Schenk vs the United States SCT 1919) which applies to this guy who's not only a law unto himself but, worse, also is a direct threat to democracy. These points are well established and accepted in jurisprudence.

No Sale, LaoPo.

Well, I'm not sure what US law has to do with any of this, has he's not American and not in America, but someone can still shout "Fire!" if they genuinely believe there's a fire going on, can't they? If they've got burnt and they smell smoke... Yeah, it's an analogy that doesn't fit the situation because a political viewpoint isn't the same as a physical effect like fire. Rightly or wrongly, he saw certain things during the earlier protest which he felt were beyond the pale and needed to be spoken out about. He know sees himself as a political prisoner.

Misguided, naive, egotistical etc etc..? Possibly, quite probably. But there's a great history of people standing up and being heard, speaking out against political and military oppression- and while I'm not entirely convinced of his motives or his state of mental health, I'm not entirely convinced the other way too- even so, there's something a little bit creepy about the sheer glee people have at throwing out condemnation and suggesting he gets life imprisonment.

That said, I did laugh at Jeff Savage crying. :)

Friendly tip: when breaking the law try to be as unconspicuous as possible.

The Thai protesters at the rally site stood up like a sore thumb, this two farangs stood up like two giant, glowing neon green mutant thumbs tap dancing their way to the buffet table.

As I'd previously had to point out to the unintiated, freedom of speech does not include a 'right' to falsely shout "FIRE" in a crowded cinema. There also is the limitation of free speech established by the "clear and present danger" doctrine of the US Supreme Court (Schenk vs the United States SCT 1919) which applies to this guy who's not only a law unto himself but, worse, also is a direct threat to democracy. These points are well established and accepted in jurisprudence.

No Sale, LaoPo.

Well, I'm not sure what US law has to do with any of this, has he's not American and not in America, but someone can still shout "Fire!" if they genuinely believe there's a fire going on, can't they? If they've got burnt and they smell smoke... Yeah, it's an analogy that doesn't fit the situation because a political viewpoint isn't the same as a physical effect like fire. Rightly or wrongly, he saw certain things during the earlier protest which he felt were beyond the pale and needed to be spoken out about. He know sees himself as a political prisoner.

<<snip>>

You completely missed the nature and meaning of my statement. 

I said falsely shout "FIRE" in a crowded cinema. I've emphasized the word here, and in my statement above for you in red. Falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded cinema clearly implies a sinister and harmful intent towards the other persons present due to the possibility of injury in any attempt to exit the cinema quickly. There's also the emotional and psychological harm possible in such an intentionally false statement. False speech intended to injure people is not protected speech. Political speech is protected speech unless and until you're handing out arms and firebombs while urging people to burn down the capital city of the country.

There are democratic solutions to differences that don't involve torching the capital or anywhere else.

As I understand it the Australian guy has been charged with violation of the SOE and nothing more. He hasn't been charged with anything to do with the content of his rants. So far he's up for 2 years and THB 20,000. He has the two years to give but apparently doesn't have more than THB 20 (if that)

Seems he's gunning for contempt of court whilst the government is racing to find more on him.

I had also heard he claimed to have been the "go between" of the Reds and the Army on April 10. I wonder how he communicated? Frantic hand gestures and aping I'd presume.

The guy is loopy.

I once had to do some work in the psychiatric hospital in Nakhon Sri Thammarat. That place had a number of folk like Mr. Purcell - mostly drug psychoses from the fun islands. One such case was, like Mr. Purcell, furiously screaming that he would take the hospital to International Courts for the lack of toilet paper provision.

I said falsely shout "FIRE" in a crowded cinema. I've emphasized the word here, and in my statement above for you in red. Falsely shouting "fire" in a crowded cinema clearly implies a sinister and harmful intent towards the other persons present due to the possibility of injury in any attempt to exit the cinema quickly

Okay, fair point. I'd misinterpreted that one. But does it really apply to the case at hand? From the speeches I've seen him give he didn't seem to be encouraging harmful behaviour towards others- he called for "democratic elections in Thailand now... for all Thais, soldiers and civilians, young and old, city and country...". If anything in his speech he seems to be against violence.

We're probably more or less singing from the same hymn sheet. I'm all for peaceful protest, I'm against violent protest. The former is an important part of democracy. Obviously the red shirts crossed over. I'm just putting the point across that if you listen to his speeches, there doesn't seem to be anything that points to encouraging violent protest or disorder. I might be wrong though. But I've sat and listened to the two torturous speeches he gave and can't find any points where he sees to be encouraging aggressive or undemocratic acts. Sure, he shouldn't have got up there and got involved, but his speeches seem to be emphasising the need for peaceful protest. I guess you could say he's inciting the crowd in some way by his presence, but do his words really justify "putting this criminal sociopath behind bars for the remainder of his international citizen unnatural antisocial life"?

Edited by Rumblecat

I have never in all my life laughed so loudly and violently over something I read online. Jeff Savage bursting into tears when he realises he is sitting next to and associated with a complete maniac moron is priceless. What makes it all the more funny is that he himself acted like such a maniac and instead of recanting what he said he further implicated himself but now is showing that he is finally starting to realise how retarded he has behaved. I think i peed my pants a little bit I so lost control during my fit of laughter.

This guy whilst obviously an idiot doesnt deserve a prison sentence for protesting about what in any civilied country would be classed as a govt that came to power in the most suspect of ways.

I seem to remember when this law about foreigners protesting was introduced by this totalitarian govt there were mass complaints on here, why the change of heart by so many?

Ps no yellow in similar circumstances has gone to prison. (ie him in the yellow rally a few years ago.)

This guy whilst obviously an idiot doesnt deserve a prison sentence for protesting about what in any civilied country would be classed as a govt that came to power in the most suspect of ways.

I seem to remember when this law about foreigners protesting was introduced by this totalitarian govt there were mass complaints on here, why the change of heart by so many?

Ps no yellow in similar circumstances has gone to prison. (ie him in the yellow rally a few years ago.)

In most countries you'd have to inform the police about a planned protest and get permission. Also we're talking about less than a day then. As a foreigner you could walk / participate in a peaceful protest. The moment a protest is illegal, or get violent the local protesters may have a minor problem, but foreigners may be imprisoned or expelled. Calling the judge names or implying he has no authority to judge you will not help in any country. Contempt of court, add a few more months :)

Non Australian readers should be made aware of the Aussie rules in cases like this.

An Irish immigrant who happened to be a world record holder, would be cassed as an Aussie 5 minutes after leaving the airport. On the other hand if he was just an ordinary mick, who 30 years later robbed a bank (or got up on a red stage in Bangkok), well he is just a moronic Irishman.

I came to Australia 30 years ago, fortunately I haven't robbed a bank...but I'm still reagarded as a Pom

What is a Pom?

Seems we are destined to be named after fruit: In Thailand we are Guavas, in Oz we are Pomegranates and in America/Canada we are Limeys :) (of course the Thailand one is just a coincidense right?)

I was told as a nipper that POM was either due to the letter on the prison uniforms (though I would have thought that would be POC or POHM - Prosponer of the Crown/His Majesty) or (more likely) the fact that Cook discovered if his men ate citrus fruit it warded of Scurvey.

I'm feeling a bit fruity :D

In Canada sometimes called a cake :D

In most countries you'd have to inform the police about a planned protest and get permission.

In the UK you mean, with its totalitarian Nuliebour laws on protest .... i take it you'd have banned the miners strike and put them all in prison as they didnt have permit ... or all the poll tax protesters? come on a permit to protest is totalitarian and nothing else.

I have never in all my life laughed so loudly and violently over something I read online. Jeff Savage bursting into tears when he realises he is sitting next to and associated with a complete maniac moron is priceless. What makes it all the more funny is that he himself acted like such a maniac and instead of recanting what he said he further implicated himself but now is showing that he is finally starting to realise how retarded he has behaved. I think i peed my pants a little bit I so lost control during my fit of laughter.

Mate, I can only but agree with you. But after the laughter stops. There is a downside to it.

In the eyes of our hosts, it doesn't make us look good, does it? Give me a repentant drug smuggler any day. The Thais understand that, but they are going to have a problem getting their heads around this jerk.

:D

LaoPo

No Sale, LaoPo.

You better remove your signature if you have "If's" and "But's" listed in your signature about free thought and free speech.

I was merely pointing at your cruel -virtual- decision to put a Farang in a foreign country behind bars for the rest of his life, being a Farang yourself.

That's why I mentioned:....I'm glad Thailand isn't ruled and judged by Farang Expats....

There wouldn't be enough prisons if you would rule. :)

And, Publicus, try to leave other countries out if you're debating about Thailand affairs. It's a nasty habit of yours.

LaoPo

Maybr th over 3000 did not get up on stage and prevoke illegal action

You're absolutely right, but note that he was arrested for violating the emergency decree, not for standing on stage and making speeches. He's an idiot alright, but I doubt this will be positive news for Thailand if it gets into the world press. It'll end up showing that while 3,000+ people also violated the emergency decree, they were given free bus rides ...and the foreigner ended up being arrested. They should have arrested him on another charge, not one under which they let 3,000+ other people walk away from without being charged. It's another one of those things that will come back to bite Thailand in the rear. Especially the tourism sector.