Australian Man Arrested Over Thai Protests

webfact

Us yanks are having enough problems overseas nation building thank you. Thailand was a great refuge for many of us.Most of the Farang I know avoid the politics of the Kingdom, it is too easy to offend those who allow you to be here.There have been many more people able to afford travel that can not afford an education, so this type of idiocy will not be going away....

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha... another patsy.

I wonder how many of the speakers will escape arrest or just written off into the "cannot be found" category.

I have mixed feelings about the coming punishment for this guy and as long as what he receives what others doing the same receive then ok. But if a double standard applies, then regardless of his nationality, people should be screaming unfair.

TheWalkingMan

He'll probably get rewarded with a top government job as that what happened to the idiot who stood nightly on the Yellow shirt stage at the airport take over :)

s

You forget he was a yellow shirt then

Protests where the money is and wants to be seen as a winner

Hmnnn....So far I read about a Brit, a Dutchman and an Aussie apprehended. I'm starting to wonder why the Yanks aren't representin'

Because they elect their prize idiots into the White House? :)

Yes they do elect idiots like GW and then morons like Blair and Howard follow the moron into Iraq.

AND--who elected them?

It is only a matter of time before a Yank goes nuts and joins his brothers in jail for the cause.

Can we start calling this guy Irish? Australia already has its own fair share of wanke_rs thanks, we don't need to take credit for Irish wanke_rs too.

Regrettably for Australia, he's an Australian:

Officials will visit Aussie in Thailand

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 » 07:57am

Australian officials are due to visit an Australian man in the next few days who's behind bars in Thailand for allegedly violating an emergency decree.

Connor David Purcell could face up to two years in prison for his alleged activities during the recent unrest which paralysed Bangkok.

The 29-year-old was sentenced to a two-month suspended jail sentence on Monday, but then arrested again for violating the emergency decree imposed during violent demonstrations in the Thai capital.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/National/2...and_466209.html

Hmnnn....So far I read about a Brit, a Dutchman and an Aussie apprehended. I'm starting to wonder why the Yanks aren't representin'

Because they elect their prize idiots into the White House?

Obama certainly seems to be proving that as his administration "progresses" into more idiotic policies. :)

P.S. Thanks for Dame Edna - and will you take Kylie Minogue back? Please. Pretty please.

we take Kylie in exchange you have to take all your ORANGE trash

Edited by arco27

What did happen to Jeff Savage?

The last I heard he was still "hiding" (what a big man he is now... NOT!); supposedly in Pattaya...

No, in IDC Bangkok, probably the same cell as the aussie/irish.

The Australian "Peace Broker" ( :) ) is locked up at IDC

2 Foreigners Held In Thailand For Breaching Emergency Laws

Tuesday May 25, 2010 09:57:00 EDT

(RTTNews) - Two foreigners, a Briton and an Australian, have been arrested in Thailand on charges of breaching emergency laws, an offense that carries up to two years imprisonment.

A state of emergency was enforced in the capital Bangkok and nearby provinces after anti-government demonstrators stormed the country's Parliament on April 7.

Several UDD leaders are in police custody on various charges, including breaking emergency laws, terrorism, and criticizing the monarchy.

Conor David Purcell, 30, and Jeff Savage, 49, were arrested following a roundup of suspects involved in violence during the anti-government protests that were quelled by the military last week.

Purcell, who was arrested in Bangkok on Sunday, claims to have served in the Australian Army and was currently working in the Thai capital as a language teacher.

Reports quoting the immigration detention center in Bangkok said the Irish-born Aussie was a regular speaker at recent anti-government rallies in Bangkok. Youtube videos showed Purcell on the 'Red-Shirt' stage condemning the Thai military for shooting upon protesters.

But he told the Australian media organization the ABC that he was merely a peace broker between the Thai military and anti-government protesters and that he was being detained on only minor charges.

A spokesperson for Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs said Purcell was sentenced to a two-month suspended jail sentence for overstaying his visa. He is receiving Consular assistance from the Australian Embassy.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the pair was arrested for violating the state of emergency "and for their roles on stage during the rally."

He added that "In-depth investigations will be carried out to find out whether they had any other role" in the nine-week protest that paralyzed parts of Bangkok, killed 88 and injured more than 1,000 others.

http://es.quote.com/news/story.action?id=RTT005250957000904

Can we start calling this guy Irish? Australia already has its own fair share of wanke_rs thanks, we don't need to take credit for Irish wanke_rs too.

Why? Wasn't he raised there? Wasn't he (or not) a member of the Armed Forces? Where did he go to university?

Can you not see the parallel between disowninghim and the Thai practice of insisting that the troubles were mainly perpetrated by citizens of Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and all parts North, South, East or West - but NEVER from Thailand itself?

One swallow does not make a summer, and one misguided, deluded idiot does not constitute a nation of fools.

Oh get a sense of humour will you, and maybe have your hearing checked :)

Why is it always the Aussies and Brit who come to center stage here in Thailand for being just plain stupid.

Normally it is an AMERICAN citizen who is shouting, and you remember the first farang on stage. Oh Yes, here he is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-...id-t354498.html

An obvious Canadian. He even said "eh" and out and "abuut". :)

canada-beaver-th.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Why? Wasn't he raised there? Wasn't he (or not) a member of the Armed Forces? Where did he go to university?

No. No. No.

But I may concede on a technicality, that he possibly did a few Tuesday nights with the 'Cut Lunch Commandos'.

Wait. The truth will come out about this IRISHMAN passing himself off as a war hero and champion of the poor masses, who was, obviously, mistakenly, afforded Australian Citizenship and given a Passport.

Looks like, as with Thailand, our screening of Farangs entering Australia needs to be tightened up.

BTW, being a moron is certainly not restricted to any particular race or nationality.

He could be the Australian snipers that shoot Seh Daeng and the 6 innocent in the Temple.

If the army can push that, they (the army) is cleared.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255305250040

Ex-Australian army sniper nabbed for joining UDD BANGKOK, 25 May 2010 (NNT) – A former Australian military sniper has been arrested in Bangkok for taking an active role in the recent anti-government protest and staying in Thailand with expired visa.

The Aussie, identified as Mr Conor David Purcell, was nabbed by the Immigration Bureau’s ad-hoc team while resting in his apartment in Sathorn district today. A preliminary investigation reveals that the man used to serve in the Australian Army as a trained sniper before traveling to Thailand. He has been in and out of the Kingdom 4 times and even made an appearance on the stage of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) during the recent mass demonstration.

Mr Purcell was first arrested for residing in Thailand on expired visa and faced an additional charge for demonstrating with the UDD after being questioned by the police. He is now detained at Pathumwan Municipal Court in Bangkok while further investigation will be conducted on whether the suspect is related to recent sniper attacks in the city or not.

w_l_top.gif

News ID: 255305250040 w_r_top.gif

btn_web-users_bg.gif Reporter : Rungkarn Rujiwarangkul

News Date : 25 May 2010

Non Australian readers should be made aware of the Aussie rules in cases like this.

An Irish immigrant who happened to be a world record holder, would be cassed as an Aussie 5 minutes after leaving the airport. On the other hand if he was just an ordinary mick, who 30 years later robbed a bank (or got up on a red stage in Bangkok), well he is just a moronic Irishman.

I came to Australia 30 years ago, fortunately I haven't robbed a bank...but I'm still reagarded as a Pom

he was NOT a Trained Sniper. For a stArt he would not have the brains to be a professionally trained sniper. The <deleted> is a Military Wannabe. Australia is full of them. Go and drink in any bar in the Kingdom where Aussies gather, you'll meet one. Thailand seems to be a magnet for them.

(BTW I am ex Oz Military)

Check 'em out.

http://www.anzmi.net/

Non Australian readers should be made aware of the Aussie rules in cases like this.

An Irish immigrant who happened to be a world record holder, would be cassed as an Aussie 5 minutes after leaving the airport. On the other hand if he was just an ordinary mick, who 30 years later robbed a bank (or got up on a red stage in Bangkok), well he is just a moronic Irishman.

I came to Australia 30 years ago, fortunately I haven't robbed a bank...but I'm still reagarded as a Pom

What is a Pom?

he was NOT a Trained Sniper. For a stArt he would not have the brains to be a professionally trained sniper. The <deleted> is a Military Wannabe. Australia is full of them. Go and drink in any bar in the Kingdom where Aussies gather, you'll meet one. Thailand seems to be a magnet for them.

Check 'em out.

Perhaps you have forgotten to read the news. The government say that he is a sniper. Thai government never lie.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255305250040

Check 'em out.

yeh, he may not be what he says he is

but for sheer stupidity lets just hope he gets penalised and gets his just rewards in prison

And if the thai authorities want to stitch him up for being a sniper,..well... som num na

he should have kept his mouth shut :)

Check 'em out.

Hmmm!............ w w w.anzmi.net :)

This site is published in the United States of America.

Copyright 2000 by ANZMI, formerly known as Coalition of Patriots for Military Honour Australia. All Rights Reserved

What is a Pom?

hehehe. It is the Slang Name we call the English in Australia. it is not always used as a derogatory one either.

The origin of the word is still debated in Australia. Some will tell you it dates from the Convict Settlement Days - P.O.M. Prisoner of Mother England. I personally doubt this version.

Another is that the Poms, when they arrived in Australia, with their Lilly White Complexions, soon ended up looking like Pomegranates, after a dose of the Australian Sun.

Check 'em out.

Hmmm!............ w w w.anzmi.net :)

This site is published in the United States of America.

Copyright 2000 by ANZMI, formerly known as Coalition of Patriots for Military Honour Australia. All Rights Reserved

yes and prior to that they were australianmilitarywannabes.com.au before becoming CPMH. But the originator baled out because of the death threats his family received

they moved offshore because the loons started getting dangerous

For those that speak Thai did you notice that was a very good translation from the Thai guy? Impressive knowledge of English. Don't know what the Farang was thinking getting involved in Thai affairs though.

Australian officials are due to visit an Australian man in the next few days who's behind bars in Thailand for allegedly violating an emergency decree.

Connor David Purcell could face up to two years in prison for his alleged activities during the recent unrest which paralysed Bangkok.

The 29-year-old was sentenced to a two-month suspended jail sentence on Monday, but then arrested again for violating the emergency decree imposed during violent demonstrations in the Thai capital.

I object to my tax dollars being wasted in extending consular assistance to anyone who knowingly commits an offence in a foreign country. :)

We learnt that from the English. You're Scottish or Welsh if you're a failure, but English if you're a success.

The South African English cricket team also do a good job.

I object to my tax dollars being wasted in extending consular assistance to anyone who knowingly commits an offence in a foreign country. :D

yes mate..

i pay very little tax in Aus these days but even so i hope the aus government shuts the file on him and leaves him high and dry..

If he goes to the BK hilton, im sure he will have a lot of fans (for want of another word) coming to visit him..for differeing reasons :D

Maybe TV can arrange a day trip..ill be the first to sign up and give him my...err..best wishes :)

Actually it is odd that 'Officials' would be travelling from Australia to visit him just because he looks like getting banged up.

The Consulate would normally take care of that.

I suggest it might not be a visit to assist him in his troubles