Australian Man Arrested Over Thai Protests

webfact

Speaking of his own embassy, it's a shame he didn't heed the advice from May 3rd and get the heck out of town:

But the Australian Embassy has raised doubts over Purcell's background. Investigations are reported to question his university and military experience, and that he was not a member of the Army reserves, sources told AAP.

The English language Bangkok Post, quoting an embassy source, said Purcell's behaviour and public statements were disturbing and he had been advised to return to Australia. He's actually broken quite a few Thai laws, the report said.

The Sydney Morning Herald from May 3, 2010

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world...00503-u3jt.html

Over the radio (MCOT 96.5) news talk show, they say he has sniper training when he was in the Army. He could be the one shooting the innocent at the temple where they found 6 dead bodies.

Great powers of Deduction......................................not!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good (war) story.

Outstandinng work MCOT 96.5, take a pound out of the till for yourself.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is it always the Aussies and Brit who come to center stage here in Thailand for being just plain stupid.

Feel better now?

That you managed to get that one in?

Generalisations are the simplest form of comment!

Normally it is an AMERICAN citizen who is shouting, and you remember the first farang on stage. Oh Yes, here he is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-...id-t354498.html

Why is it always the Aussies and Brit who come to center stage here in Thailand for being just plain stupid.

Feel better now?

That you managed to get that one in?

Generalisations are the simplest form of comment!

Normally it is an AMERICAN citizen who is shouting, and you remember the first farang on stage. Oh Yes, here he is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-...id-t354498.html

Stupidity is a rarity amongst Aussies and Britons. That is why it is newsworthy when it happens. As for our New World cousins, it's well known as the norm.

Judging from the way you keep posting this same crap over and over again, you must have grown up in the wilds of Alabama.

dunce_~Dunce.jpg

Okay, theres 'hitting the nail on the head' and then theres 'driving the nail all the way home in one strike', this time UG, you have nailed it like nobody has ever done so before. :)

Stupidity is a rarity amongst Aussies and Britons. That is why it is newsworthy when it happens. As for our New World cousins, it's well known as the norm.

Judging from the way you keep posting this same crap over and over again, you must have grown up in the wilds of Alabama.

dunce_~Dunce.jpg

Okay, theres 'hitting the nail on the head' and then theres 'driving the nail all the way home in one strike', this time UG, you have nailed it like nobody has ever done so before. :)

If his coat of arms doesn't already have George Bush on it, it should. The Land Down Under which began forced settlement from Britain at the same time the US was founded as a sovereign state is Old World? Maybe because it's still a part of the UK Commonwealth but not by much else. 

Brits started shipping the persecuted/prosecuted poor to Down Under after they were profiled, arrested and convicted due to the fact they had to scavange to survive. Britain had stratified socioeconomic classes then as it continues to have in the present - at least Tony Blair effected some democratic principles to the House of Lords but it's just a tad late now and not even directly related to those who were the victims of the bizarre idea convicts effectively could be shipped to an opposite universe (hemisphere and part of the world in the hemisphere) without eventual conseqence to the larger world. That was weird thinking unique to the Brits which might also help to illuminate how they managed to lose their North American colonies and what developed into a continental nation besides, not to mention the subcontinent called India. Great work by Westminister, unrivaled by any government anywhere else I dare say.    

But that's all history. 

None the less, in the former LOS I have met a large number of hard core antisocials from Down Under and they are not pleasant people in any sense. Consequently, the major problem of Old World countries is that they have a great history of stupidity to live down, which is something they have yet to learn.   :D

What are you all discussing? It does not matter where he comes from!

I think there are better boards to exchange the Brit / Aussie arguments..... :D

Of course it matters where he comes frrom. Where are you from? Mars?

Nothing wrong with some good natured banter, piss taking and oneupmanship. Lighten up and join in the fun, Christ knows things are getting serious in the world. We might all be allies fighting in Korea again before much longer.

Anyway, we still have Cricket, Rugby, World Cup Soccer, The Australian Flag, The Queen and the republic and Cold Piss to get through yet.

G'day Ocker :)

1205-0103.gif

Edited by GungaDin

An obvious Canadian. He even said "eh" and out and "abuut". :)

canada-beaver-th.gif

No worry Mr. rvdk. I'm sure they will find a Yank in the woodpile soon !

The firsts farang on stage was an AMERICAN, check this out http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bangkok-Red-...id-t354498.html

FIRST FARANG ON STAGE --> AMERICAN. THEY WON IN SHOUTING ABOUT I HAVE NO IDEA CONTEST.

Foreigners joining the rally

By PierLuc Gagnon

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_853.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A few foreigners were spotted among the red crowds at Rajprasong intersection, joining the antigovernment movement regardless of the degree of their knowledge of Thai politics.

An American appeared on the stage yesterday, despite the government's enforcement of the emergency decree.

He said he had read the news and was puzzled by the rumour that some protesters were paid to show their support. Seemingly in Thailand for some time due to his slight knowledge of the Thai language, he had been encouraged to come to the scene to see it with his own eyes.

While on stage, he addressed the crowd in English, saying that the United States took a long time to establish democracy.

"What you're doing is amazing and I hope you achieve it," he said.

As the protest ran into its fourth day on Tuesday, some foreigners were also seen in their red shirts. Having been living here for some time, they were cheered up by the popular movement "in defence of democracy".

"This is becoming a people's movement. The country has been divided in the last month and I am worried about the direction it is heading in," said Frank Klose, a German who has been living in Thailand for the past 20 years.

Klose, a resident of Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani, added that it was his third time at the protests and he was hoping a dissolution of Parliament would help resolve the current chasm.

However, he admitted he was not too knowledgeable about Thai politics, and mainly came in support of his Thai wife, who is a strong activist.

A desire to see the dissolution of Parliament was shared by other foreigners present.

"A love for freedom," answered another foreigner wearing a "Yubsapha" (House dissolution) scarf when asked about his motivation for joining the protests. He was there with a Thai friend.

"I am here to support freedom of speech, freedom of protest and corruptionfree elections. We should have a democracy without interference like in the US," added the dual American and Canadian citizen, who has been living in Bangkok for 15 years and asked to remain anonymous.

"The current government was not voted in, and I want to have a vote," he said.

He added that it was his first time at the protests as he was too busy with his business, but that he watched and followed the situation every day.

Exprime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's assetsseizure case did not seem to be a factor for the foreigners when asked about their motivation for joining the red shirts' protests.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Over the past few months I've seen just too many drunk farang idiots that thought it was funny to dance on a table with a red bandana on their head. And I don't go to bars that much. Many were photographed and VDO'd. Stupidity knows no boundaries. Getting on the red stage tops it all though.

Funny! When I visited Thailand and spent some time at Patong Beach near Bangla Road, I happened into a pub with a nice group of musicians playing Irish/Celtic music. Afer only an hour or so, some guy got up on the table and did just this, falling on his arse and nearly breaking an arm! My friend and I (two women) watched this in total amazement and disbelief. This was the only night I was there. So, now, you have verified this activity as quite comman and not some accidental thing. Thank you. BTW, I am an American from California.

FIRST FARANG ON STAGE --> AMERICAN. THEY WON IN SHOUTING ABOUT I HAVE NO IDEA CONTEST.
Foreigners joining the rally

By PierLuc Gagnon

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_853.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A few foreigners were spotted among the red crowds at Rajprasong intersection, joining the antigovernment movement regardless of the degree of their knowledge of Thai politics.

An American appeared on the stage yesterday, despite the government's enforcement of the emergency decree.

He said he had read the news and was puzzled by the rumour that some protesters were paid to show their support. Seemingly in Thailand for some time due to his slight knowledge of the Thai language, he had been encouraged to come to the scene to see it with his own eyes.

While on stage, he addressed the crowd in English, saying that the United States took a long time to establish democracy.

"What you're doing is amazing and I hope you achieve it," he said.

As the protest ran into its fourth day on Tuesday, some foreigners were also seen in their red shirts. Having been living here for some time, they were cheered up by the popular movement "in defence of democracy".

"This is becoming a people's movement. The country has been divided in the last month and I am worried about the direction it is heading in," said Frank Klose, a German who has been living in Thailand for the past 20 years.

Klose, a resident of Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani, added that it was his third time at the protests and he was hoping a dissolution of Parliament would help resolve the current chasm.

However, he admitted he was not too knowledgeable about Thai politics, and mainly came in support of his Thai wife, who is a strong activist.

A desire to see the dissolution of Parliament was shared by other foreigners present.

"A love for freedom," answered another foreigner wearing a "Yubsapha" (House dissolution) scarf when asked about his motivation for joining the protests. He was there with a Thai friend.

"I am here to support freedom of speech, freedom of protest and corruptionfree elections. We should have a democracy without interference like in the US," added the dual American and Canadian citizen, who has been living in Bangkok for 15 years and asked to remain anonymous.

"The current government was not voted in, and I want to have a vote," he said.

He added that it was his first time at the protests as he was too busy with his business, but that he watched and followed the situation every day.

Exprime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's assetsseizure case did not seem to be a factor for the foreigners when asked about their motivation for joining the red shirts' protests.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

No one is quoted here advocating the burning of Bangkok to the ground or in support of Thaksin. I'd like to hear what the people quoted in this piece have to say now after the Red Shirts torched major sections of the city center. I doubt these folk would be advocating or trying to defend the razing of the city as have those farang who have been arrested and charged. The people quoted above are harmless - one guy from the USA is also a dual Canadian citizen which basically makes him a church mouse momentarily poking its head around and about.  :)   

Speaking of his own embassy, it's a shame he didn't heed the advice from May 3rd and get the heck out of town:

But the Australian Embassy has raised doubts over Purcell's background. Investigations are reported to question his university and military experience, and that he was not a member of the Army reserves, sources told AAP.

The English language Bangkok Post, quoting an embassy source, said Purcell's behaviour and public statements were disturbing and he had been advised to return to Australia. He's actually broken quite a few Thai laws, the report said.

The Sydney Morning Herald from May 3, 2010

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world...00503-u3jt.html

Over the radio (MCOT 96.5) news talk show, they say he has sniper training when he was in the Army. He could be the one shooting the innocent at the temple where they found 6 dead bodies.

Great powers of Deduction......................................not!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good (war) story.

Outstandinng work MCOT 96.5, take a pound out of the till for yourself.

I don't think I understand the phase "take a pound out of the till for yourself."???

I just saw news somewhere that the Thai government confirm that the Australian is a sniper.

I'll try to get the link for you guys asap.

Over the past few months I've seen just too many drunk farang idiots that thought it was funny to dance on a table with a red bandana on their head. And I don't go to bars that much. Many were photographed and VDO'd. Stupidity knows no boundaries. Getting on the red stage tops it all though.

Funny! When I visited Thailand and spent some time at Patong Beach near Bangla Road, I happened into a pub with a nice group of musicians playing Irish/Celtic music. Afer only an hour or so, some guy got up on the table and did just this, falling on his arse and nearly breaking an arm! My friend and I (two women) watched this in total amazement and disbelief. This was the only night I was there. So, now, you have verified this activity as quite comman and not some accidental thing. Thank you. BTW, I am an American from California.

Why are you amazed? you don't mention a red bandana, if not, this was just a normal guy (from any of the British Isles or Australia) having fun on his holiday.

You Americans are so reserved :)

Why are you amazed? you don't mention a red bandana, if not, this was just a normal guy (from any of the British Isles or Australia) having fun on his holiday.

You Americans are so reserved :)

Hands up all those who have NOT danced, naked or otherwise, on a bar table or stage in SE Asia? It is a right of passage isn't it?

Does anyone recall the Windsor Hotel in Sukhumvit 20, when it was the US Armed Forces R&R Centre? The bar downstairs? Got thrown out of there 3 years running. What for you may ask?

I was young.

dunce_~Dunce.jpg

If his coat of arms doesn't already have George Bush on it, it should. The Land Down Under which began forced settlement from Britain at the same time the US was founded as a sovereign state is Old World? Maybe because it's still a part of the UK Commonwealth but not by much else.

Brits started shipping the persecuted/prosecuted poor to Down Under after they were profiled, arrested and convicted due to the fact they had to scavange to survive. Britain had stratified socioeconomic classes then as it continues to have in the present - at least Tony Blair effected some democratic principles to the House of Lords but it's just a tad late now and not even directly related to those who were the victims of the bizarre idea convicts effectively could be shipped to an opposite universe (hemisphere and part of the world in the hemisphere) without eventual conseqence to the larger world. That was weird thinking unique to the Brits which might also help to illuminate how they managed to lose their North American colonies and what developed into a continental nation besides, not to mention the subcontinent called India. Great work by Westminister, unrivaled by any government anywhere else I dare say.

But that's all history.

None the less, in the former LOS I have met a large number of hard core antisocials from Down Under and they are not pleasant people in any sense. Consequently, the major problem of Old World countries is that they have a great history of stupidity to live down, which is something they have yet to learn. :D

Your application to Hallmark to compose Birthday cards for the Australian market has been refused.

To be honest, I think he will be charged with terrorism, and may be given the death penalty. There a Thai saying "Cherd kai hai lin doo or Killed the chicken to scare the monkey".

After a few days in jail, someone will pardon him, and he will be deported straight away. This will show how kind the Thai people is.

None the less, in the former LOS I have met a large number of hard core antisocials from Down Under and they are not pleasant people in any sense. Consequently, the major problem of Old World countries is that they have a great history of stupidity to live down, which is something they have yet to learn. :)

Your application to Hallmark to compose Birthday cards for the Australian market has been refused.

Refuse where?

You should post more often as I enjoy a good josh.   :D

Edited by Publicus

At the end of the day, I think the individuals who got up on stage and joined in the speeches will be ok as long as they meet visa requirements. That might remove the Aussie. Not sure about the Yank/Canuck.

Jeffrey, on the other hand, is apparently an habitual problem child and was running in the streets with the anarchist contingent of the protest. He will probably get special attention

Edited by NovaBlue05

None the less, in the former LOS I have met a large number of hard core antisocials from Down Under and they are not pleasant people in any sense. Consequently, the major problem of Old World countries is that they have a great history of stupidity to live down, which is something they have yet to learn. :)

Refuse where?

You should post more often as I enjoy a good josh. :D

Great! We have something in common. I love a good josh too. The rogan kind.

actually this Aussie is full of waffle.

everyone knows that the army usually attack at night. the man was in the army for seven years and never herd of night vision. that give the army the advantage. he must have had a few too many that night :)

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

" Dressed in orange prison-issue shirt and shorts, barefoot and shackled in leg-irons, a furious Mr Purcell was led in to Pathumwan Municipal Court in Bangkok yesterday, protesting that he was being unlawfully held.

Visibly angry at his detention, Mr Purcell, 29, a former soldier, refused to stand when told and then yelled at the judge that he would not accept the court's right to try him. ''Nobody in this country has authority over me,'' he said.

He brushed aside a representative from the Australian embassy who was asking him to be quiet and continued his tirade, shaking and pointing at the judge. ''I'm not under Thai law. I'm only obeying international law. I'm head of the red gang,'' he yelled.

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the protest, sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears." :)

source: .Sydney Morning Herald.

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

" Dressed in orange prison-issue shirt and shorts, barefoot and shackled in leg-irons, a furious Mr Purcell was led in to Pathumwan Municipal Court in Bangkok yesterday, protesting that he was being unlawfully held.

Visibly angry at his detention, Mr Purcell, 29, a former soldier, refused to stand when told and then yelled at the judge that he would not accept the court's right to try him. ''Nobody in this country has authority over me,'' he said.

He brushed aside a representative from the Australian embassy who was asking him to be quiet and continued his tirade, shaking and pointing at the judge. ''I'm not under Thai law. I'm only obeying international law. I'm head of the red gang,'' he yelled.

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the protest, sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears." :)

Not a smart move.

In Thailand, if you just admit to everything the court say (even if it is not true), you get 50% discount for your sin.

Else you get the full treatment.

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

I had a hunch this guy might be mentally ill. If he isn't he gives a good semblance of it. He clearly has no idea of the magnitude of his delusion or the meaning of his actions while under it. I hope the court takes that into consideration and is merciful. The other guy, well he may have to do a stretch. Delusion is one thing, but actions, possibly violent and/or destructive actions, are another.

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

"......... I'm head of the red gang,'' he yelled.

Well....There ya go, the Thai authorities in short order brought the two leaders of the Bangkok Red revolt to justice.....and both farang!

Good job!

The bloke should be turned in for psychiatric evaluation immediately.

He's definitely troppo.

As for Jeff. What can you say? Throwing himself upon the mercy of the court.

Poor sorry bastards, the pair of 'em.

Non Australian readers should be made aware of the Aussie rules in cases like this.

An Irish immigrant who happened to be a world record holder, would be cassed as an Aussie 5 minutes after leaving the airport. On the other hand if he was just an ordinary mick, who 30 years later robbed a bank (or got up on a red stage in Bangkok), well he is just a moronic Irishman.

I came to Australia 30 years ago, fortunately I haven't robbed a bank...but I'm still reagarded as a Pom

What is a Pom?

Seems we are destined to be named after fruit: In Thailand we are Guavas, in Oz we are Pomegranates and in America/Canada we are Limeys :) (of course the Thailand one is just a coincidense right?)

I was told as a nipper that POM was either due to the letter on the prison uniforms (though I would have thought that would be POC or POHM - Prosponer of the Crown/His Majesty) or (more likely) the fact that Cook discovered if his men ate citrus fruit it warded of Scurvey.

I'm feeling a bit fruity :D

Non Australian readers should be made aware of the Aussie rules in cases like this.

An Irish immigrant who happened to be a world record holder, would be cassed as an Aussie 5 minutes after leaving the airport. On the other hand if he was just an ordinary mick, who 30 years later robbed a bank (or got up on a red stage in Bangkok), well he is just a moronic Irishman.

I came to Australia 30 years ago, fortunately I haven't robbed a bank...but I'm still reagarded as a Pom

What is a Pom?

Seems we are destined to be named after fruit: In Thailand we are Guavas, in Oz we are Pomegranates and in America/Canada we are Limeys :) (of course the Thailand one is just a coincidense right?)

I was told as a nipper that POM was either due to the letter on the prison uniforms (though I would have thought that would be POC or POHM - Prosponer of the Crown/His Majesty) or (more likely) the fact that Cook discovered if his men ate citrus fruit it warded of Scurvey.

I'm feeling a bit fruity :D

It looks that way I guess.

Actually it was an RN Surgeon, James Lind who really happened upon the citrus thing. In HMS Salisbury. Although it took the Admiralty almost a century before they fully accepted the fact. Cook too put a hel_l of alot of work into the disease but still had scurvy cases aboard his ships. Cook believed it was the Malt he ordered his sailors to eat that was keeping the scurvy down to a 'reasonable level', with hardly any actual deaths in his crews, True Cooks attention to his sailors diet and well being did lessen it.. But it was really Lind who should get the credit for the name the Yanks gave you, 'Limeys'.

Those who declare themselves to be 'international citizens' must first establish themselves an a multinational corporation in order to become immune to the national sovereignty of any and every state, which obviously Mr. Purcell had overlooked or failed to do :D , or he must apply to the proper and globally recognized authority that declares individuals to be international citizens :D . The guy's not the former, but the least he could have done on his own behalf would have been to visit a certain place on Khao San Road where, while once a friend of mine was standing in line to pick up his diplomate, the pleasant conversational guy from India in front of him, when the guy got to the window picked up his Nobel Peace Prize :D . Lacking clout in either respect, Mr. Purcell is going to have to learn the hard way in the slammer :D  the real meaning of being an 'international citizen.'  :)

This guy's a wild one who recognizes no law over him, hasn't any respect of others in society anywhere and whose ancestry may be original and charter ca 1780.

Get out the book, slam it in his face, put him away and throw away the proverbial key. It's the proven only way society, civilization, over millennia have been able to deal with his beyond the pale and outside the common bounds demented mentality.

(sorry) deleted some

Get out the book, slam it in his face, put him away and throw away the proverbial key. It's the proven only way society, civilization, over millennia have been able to deal with his beyond the pale and outside the common bounds demented mentality.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian government would like this guy and his case to disappear. Unfortunately he seems to be an Australian citizen, so he has some rights. Keep in mind that any embassy is not present to help it's citizens though, they're there to represent and promote the country, business, and (reluctantly) take care of citizens who did something stupid.