Departure

My stepson arrived in Thailand last October. He entered Thailand using his American passport.He received a 30 day tourist visa. In Bangkok, he replaced his Thai passport had been lost. My question is, upon departure,does immigration only look at his new Thai passport? Will his American passport be reviewed to show he can enter America? Is this an overstay?

He has been overstay since November and must exit using his American Passport and pay overstay of 20,000 baht if he never extended his stay.

Airline will not allow him boarding pass without checking the American Passport.

An interesting situation.

I'm guessing that your stepson is Thai but holds both Thai and American passports?

And that he entered Thailand on his U.S. passport because his Thai passport was lost?

Normally, he could exit Thailand on his Thai passport and use a U.S. passport to return home. BUT, the American passport will show the October 30-day stamp. While he could get through immigration by showing a Thai passport, the airline will check the U.S. passport. Therefore the missing exit stamp is going to be caught.

The only option then is to pay the 20,000 baht overstay. It's a shame he couldn't have replaced the Thai passport while still in the US. That would have been less costly.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png