I Have A Huge Problem, Please Help!

I called the service you posted, they didn't answer but returned my call 30 minutes later.

Give them a try again. I would think they will have all the details about your trip you booked with them. With that information it may help you tomorrow and help you place the time lines you seem to be having trouble with. Good luck.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully, a lawyer type will post here and suggest you wait for that, but if it was me I think I would also go the Bangkok main office with all documents and explanations including your ticket out (and be ready to be deported immediately) and beg for mercy. A problem I see is they will want an overstay fine but they can't calculate it and it sounds like you don't have the funds for it even if they could. I don't think the US embassy can help with a Thai immigration matter.

Embassy its not good its only for if you lose your passport or make a new one or people in jail thats it im canadian n longt time a go i was in hospital a ask for help need money so the laddies said sorry sir whe can do nothing for you only called your familly lol GL

I called the service you posted, they didn't answer but returned my call 30 minutes later.

Give them a try again. I would think they will have all the details about your trip you booked with them. With that information it may help you tomorrow and help you place the time lines you seem to be having trouble with. Good luck.

Just called them and he said the point of re-entry is Nong-Khai, thats basically all the information he was able to give me

He said if I go to the head immigration office with those 3 documents its up to them if they want to help me, but its possible I may have to return to Nong-Khai.

These inconsistincies is what I don't understand, it seems like its just what kind of mood they are in, this is untolerable, infurating, ridiculous and nothing but nonsense. I mean seriously cmon gentlemen think about that for a minute

Just called them and he said the point of re-entry is Nong-Khai, thats basically all the information he was able to give me

He said if I go to the head immigration office with those 3 documents its up to them if they want to help me, but its possible I may have to return to Nong-Khai.

These inconsistincies is what I don't understand, it seems like its just what kind of mood they are in, this is untolerable, infurating, ridiculous and nothing but nonsense. I mean seriously cmon gentlemen think about that for a minute

I don't think you will have a problem if you take the documents the embassy gave you to immigration. I certainly recommend you be on your best behavior because they do not have to do anything. If you do not understand something just say so as they can be very helpful if you give them a reason to be.

Yes, go to the Bangkok Immigration Bureau at Chaeng Wattana and "be calm and polite" in explaining your situation. I know your frustration makes being calm pretty hard to do, but do your absolute best to remain calm and polite. If you have a Thai friend which you trust and can help explain the situation, take him/her along as it may help...but don't worry, the immigration folks at Chaeng Wattana speak basic to good English. The Chaeng Wattana office deals with stuff like this everyday. Be sure to take all of your paperwork. Now, it probably going to be more crowded/busy than normal due to recent event so keep this in mind in keeping your cool. Once again, be "calm and polite."

Yes, go to the Bangkok Immigration Bureau at Chaeng Wattana and "be calm and polite" in explaining your situation. I know your frustration makes being calm pretty hard to do, but do your absolute best to remain calm and polite. If you have a Thai friend which you trust and can help explain the situation, take him/her along as it may help...but don't worry, the immigration folks at Chaeng Wattana speak basic to good English. The Chaeng Wattana office deals with stuff like this everyday. Be sure to take all of your paperwork. Now, it probably going to be more crowded/busy than normal due to recent event so keep this in mind in keeping your cool. Once again, be "calm and polite."

Good advice.

I do have a Thai friend who I trust but unfortunately he is unable to go with me tomorrow. Awesome dude who speaks fairly good english and has a college degree.

I do have a Thai friend who I trust

re: the trust part; is this ur first trip ?

ps whatever u do, if he has a wall safe, DON'T give him ur (new) passport for "safekeeping"

just curious? at the US embassy, they didn't tell u u would need to go thai immigration to get new stamps?

u better slow down and take some deep breaths. ur a long way from 'frisco. dress well , speak only when spoken too and do whatever they want at chaeng wattana to get the stamps u need.

pss nice dramatic flair but ur not teally being "detained" ; just being majorly inconvenienced for ignorance (which is no excuse right?)

i mean, an overstay , stolen passport and low /no money in a foreign land ; that the's "how NOT to do it" trifecta

Edited by jackdawson

I do have a Thai friend who I trust

re: the trust part; is this ur first trip ?

ps whatever u do, if he has a wall safe, DON'T give him ur (new) passport for "safekeeping"

just curious? at the US embassy, they didn't tell u u would need to go thai immigration to get new stamps?

u better slow down and take some deep breaths. ur a long way from 'frisco. dress well , speak only when spoken too and do whatever they want at chaeng wattana to get the stamps u need.

pss nice dramatic flair but ur not teally being "detained" ; just being majorly inconvenienced for ignorance (which is no excuse right?)

i mean, an overstay , stolen passport and low /no money in a foreign land ; that the's "how NOT to do it" trifecta

Yes, first trip. And no, amazingly at the U.S. Embassy they didnt tell me that I needed to go to the Thai immigration, they said that I could get it handled at the airport, WOW

I got this letter from the Embassy on May 21st:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXX

At the time you came in to pick your passport up at Westin hotel, does the package include the immigration letter? If not, then you can contact us at 02.205-4049, just so we can fax the letter to you. The letter needs to be taken to the immigration so that they can have your replacement passport updated. Please inform us immediately if you haven’t got one. In case you have already got it, please let us know too.

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services.

I received this reply later on the evening of the 21st

Actually, you need to present it to the immigration office prior to leaving the country. Since the immigration is closed right now due to the security and safety situation, I assume this process can be undertaken at the airport. Have a good flight and thank you keeping us informed.

American Citizen Services.

I replied with this approximately 5 minutes ago

XXXXXX,

No, you were wrong in assuming that it can be handled at the airport. This nightmare continues now as I went to fly home last night, waiting 8 hours, only to be denied. I am currently stranded here and being detained against my will. I am in a very difficult situation and if the Immigration does not stamp my passport tomorrow I don't know what I am going to do.

Sorry to be blunt, but your assumption was wrong and you provided me with totally innacurate information, I am extremely agitated and frustrated as I have been stuck here for weeks now.

Edited by thebayareabeast

I think this guy is taking a pi-- at us. His story makes no sense at all. When I had my passport stolen a few years ago the embassy was more than helpful with what I had to do at immigration and there was no going to airport to take care of it.

The people at immigration were helpful as well.

This guys whole story from begining to end doesn't make any sense at all.

I think this guy is taking a pi-- at us. His story makes no sense at all. When I had my passport stolen a few years ago the embassy was more than helpful with what I had to do at immigration and there was no going to airport to take care of it.

whatever dude, I have stated the truth from beginning to end. I never said the embassy wasnt helpful, the process of them reissuiing a passport literally took less than 24 hours and was relatively painless.

However they provided me with false info, as I showed above, those emails are exactly as they were sent an received, word for word. Im not in the mood to deal with trolls, I am extremely agitated and frustrated so if your intention is to antagonize me and troll for your own twisted pleasure, PLEASE STAY OFF OF MY THREAD. I would be more than happy to give you a piece of my mind right now but I need this thread to stay up because some of the people on here are actually knowledgable, resourceful, considerate and helpful.

Also when did I say the immigration wasn't helpful? I have only spoken to them over the phone I haven't even gone there yet. I will go first thing in the morning.

If you really believe I fabricated this entire story and these e-mails, then God help you.

Good luck to the OP. You don't need people dissing on you at the moment. People can be such cynical sheits, can't they?

Thank you sir. Yes, you are absolutely right on the money on that one. I don't know why they feel the need act that way, especially now. Im extremely stressed.

Welcome to Asia, mate! Don't take one guy's word on the end of a phone as gospel, I've been through this sort of red tape and beaurocracy in China, Russia, Middle East, Philippines, in fact everywhere I've been in Asia now I think about it, and 9 times out of 10 the problem has been solved suddenly by somebody saying something like what I was doing in the first place was correct and the guy who told me otherwise was wrong, etc, etc, and then it's sorted and over as quickly as it started.

Unfortunately you are now caught up in the system and the fact there are 3 or 4 different departments giving you the run around and different information each time complicates your situation. What I would do is get a local friend or at least someone who speaks Thai and understands the system to go with you, getting rid of the language barrier will probably help you immensely. No way I would spend all day tomorrow wandering round these offices by myself hoping to get lucky.

Best of luck and let us know how you get this sorted as it will probably help someone else out in the future.

Nong Khai then? at the border crossing.

I think you need to go to the Immigration head office with all available documents first.

You could be sent to the detention centre but at least you already have a ticket home and would be able to get to the airport,i dont think it will come to that though.

Step by step.

Nad, do you mean do a new border run to get 'proof' he entered the country on a 30 day stamp, then he can leave the airport?

A few things don't make sense here.

Why did they let him 'leave' the country to go Laos on the replacement passport and NOT let him out of the country at the airport???

If he got into Laos, why did he not take a flight from there!? EZ way out.

Here the puzzler, >>> Has this NOT happened 100's of times before when the Embassies issue these 'faulty' replacement passports???

If I paid $100 for something, I would want to make sure it WORKS! I would be after a REFUND!~

I can't believe the American, or any embassy, would or 'should' issue passports that are useless for getting out of Dodge???

Maybe there was a Stamp or letter from the Embassy that was needed at the airport?

I can NOT believe that this 'should' be happening to anyone, and just noticed moe has the same fishy smell.

I'm not calling the OP a liar, but I think his Embassy should EARN the $100 he paid to them by giving him a product that works!

whatever dude, I have stated the truth from beginning to end. I never said the embassy wasnt helpful, the process of them reissuiing a passport literally took less than 24 hours and was relatively painless.

However they provided me with false info, as I showed above, those emails are exactly as they were sent an received, word for word. Im not in the mood to deal with trolls, I am extremely agitated and frustrated so if your intention is to antagonize me and troll for your own twisted pleasure, PLEASE STAY OFF OF MY THREAD. I would be more than happy to give you a piece of my mind right now but I need this thread to stay up because some of the people on here are actually knowledgable, resourceful, considerate and helpful.

well it does NOT make any sense! Go your Embassy and demand a refund on the piece of junk pasport they gave you. Bring the media with you.

"American Embassy Charges $100 to Strand its Citizens in Thailand" would be the headline.

OR maybe there was a letter, with the replacement passport, you had to show at the airport? I 'vaguely remember reading that replacement passports come with 'letters' that substitute for the Entry Stamp. < This MIGHT??? be the problem and the cure.

This is NOT a problem of 4 Thai departments, it's a problem of not getting what you paid for at ONE American Embassy.

---------

on a side, related, issue on Forum terminology, for the record, moe is calling you the troll, you are calling him the flamer.

----

Maybe one of those tuktuk drivers took you to that place they have set up that looks like the Embassy to get your new passport!? :)

Edited by eggomaniac

No its a problem of leaving your passport in the care of people you donot know, if that part of the story is true. I would like to believe this guy but it just doesn't add up.

If he is being detained who has him locked up.

thebayareabeast' date='2010-05-25 17:42:30' post='3641547'

These people are unbelievable man. Its no wonder this country is in shambles. Something tells me that when I go to this office it won't be as easy as you think. I have no documentation of my trip to Laos, I do have a police report, replacement passport, proper id, evidence of my flight home last night, and immigration letter from the embassy. One would think that would be enough to get home, however something tells me it won't be.

the bay area beast:

i live closeby sfo, your home, too.

i read your original post. it appears like a teenager nightmare.

there are lots of hole in your story but i am not your jury nor judge.

this country called thailand is NOT in a shamble.... but YOU ARE....

just for your info, there are several thousand of u.s. citizen living in thailand. and in spite of the recent terrorists activities, the thais will forgive, forget and forward they will march....

coming back to you.... since you already have your return tix, you can present yourself at the imm and try to convince them with your story that you are currently broke AND

there is no one to send you funds from home....

if they believe your story.... you'll be deported with or without a funny stamp.... and you won't be able to return for a while.... but thailand will still be here awaiting....

but something tells me that you can do plenty of things for your good self.... but you just don't want to do it.... just because it is NOT on your terms and turf....

anyway.... wishing you favorable luck and a safe trip home.... :)

No its a problem of leaving your passport in the care of people you donot know, if that part of the story is true. I would like to believe this guy but it just doesn't add up.

If he is being detained who has him locked up.

WHEN DID I EVER SAY I LEFT MY PASSPORT "WITH SOMEONE I DONT KNOW"??????

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? SERIOUSLY!

One thing is sure: if you can't get this sorted out in Bangkok, there is no way it will be at a border-checkpoint in the middle of nowhere. DONT GO!! Waste of time and money!

If no immigration office has no records about you whatsoever, maybe just make your story easier and don't mention your trip to Laos.

Anyway, just stay calm with any officer (and I know it can be really hard!) and propose to pay the maximum fine for overstay (20,000 thb I think). In your situation, you may even consider paying some extra for "help". All the best!

This IS an utter and complete nightmare. People are not reading the entire thread, then accusing me for their own shortcomings.

Yes, the Embassy did issue me an immigration letter, where they went wrong is by telling me in the email they sent me (which I posted) that I could present it at the airport then leave. This was not the case, I was supposed to get it stamped by immigration before going to the airport, but because the immigration office was CLOSED at the time they sent me that email, someone made a wrong assumption.

All these people who are trying to play detective and accusing me of lying by saying "My story doesn't add up" are truly funny and just wrong. I have stated everything as 100% true.

To the guy who said something about them letting me go to Laos on a border run and not letting me go to the US, are you joking????? Wow you gotta be kidding me.

THEY LET ME GO TO LAOS 5 WEEKS AGO, I HAD MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT AT THE TIME, I WAS GOING TO PAY MY OVERSTAYMENT FEE AT THE TIME AND TO GET A 60 DAY RE-ENTRY. PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS IS RELATED IN ANY WAY TO MY EPISODE OF LEAVING TO GO BACK TO THE U.S. WITH A REPLACEMENT PASSPORT???? WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND?

I was warned by the person who referred me to Thaivisa that this stuff happens on this site and theres a lot of trolls here who go around and provoke people and accuse them.

FOR THE FINAL TIME, I AM IN AN INTOLERABLE SITUATION AND AM LOOKING FOR HELP AND HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT STATE EVERYTHING AS 100% ACCURATELY AS I POSSIBLE CAN. IF IT SOUNDS LIKE A NIGHTMARE, THATS BECAUSE THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS.

THANKS FOR STRESSING ME OUT EVEN FURTHER FOLKS.

Seriously, the person you left your passport with how well did you know them. People I know that I may leave my passport with for safe keeping would not do a runner, knowing they had my passport. No need for caps.

If your story is true I undrstand that you are under pressure and stress so cool it, you have recieved a lot of advice on what to do and it is all good advice.

You should be getting some sleep you have a long day at immigration today.

Good luck on getting it all sorted out.