Where Can I Find.......?

slipperx

Hi everyone

Sometimes it's hard to find things you want or need in Phuket because the directories aren't good enough and local knowledge is missing.

I am looking for:

A place that makes boxes to fit on the back of a motorcycle such as they have on the backs of KFC & Pizza delivery bikes.

A place that sells a GPS tracking device to report a vehicle's position on query - the ones I have seen on the internet use a box fitted with a regular phone sim that sends back the position according to how it is set up or on the box receiving a command via your own mobile phone.

Anyone any ideas please?

The GPS is a complex one. You wont find that sort of tracking on Phuket..

Suggest you contact the big GPS suppliers in bangkok. Tho your looking at GPS plus cellular.. plus monthly data contracts.. 99% sure it will be cheaper to buy it outside of thailand and import.

For box you need to make your design and take it to the kind of shop you see that makes stainless steel kitchen products can' remember the exact location but there are a few in Phuket Town.

For GPS try this company and ask them for their nearest vendor to you I have GPS from them on both my vehicles can log in to their website and find where they are any time of day.

http://www.mappointasia.com/products/product_thai.html

Great for tracking the wife :)

Edited by shadiadi

Thanks for that info.

For the GPS I saw somewhere advertised a setup which basically uses a sim within a GPS box. You could either set the thing to report every x hours or leave it off and SMS a command to the sim to capture the data. Obviously if using it to send every x hours the cost would be substantial in terms of SMS costs. I think I read it could be used with a pre-paid sim card. Actually I intended it to be used in my cars not the bike though it might not be a half bad idea the rate things are getting stolen here in Phuket these days.

Will follow links posted but it's crazy there would be no suppliers in Phuket.

As for bike box - thanks for idea but was rather hoping someone might have an address as I am not that familiar with Phuket Town and knowing me will be driving round all day without success. I have trouble locating my socks in the morning never mind anything else :)

If you know where McDonalds at Robinsons shoppingcenter are. Then drive to Phuket Immigration.

You had to go through a intersection with traffic-lights and turn left, then on your left side just 100 meter from this intersection you see a shop selling a lot of helmets. Stop and buy the one you like of boxes for your motorbike.

:)

A neighbor of mine had the more streamlined type box fitted to his bike.

He bought it from a motorcycle accessory shop which is close to the main

police station in Phuket town, he paid about 1000 baht for it fitted, it might

be worth riding in and asking around i know he got a lot better price than

quoted elsewhere.

Guys thanks a lot. I'm off for a ride around Phuket Town.

Now I need a rubber mat thick enough to protect a wooden floor from darts - any ideas on that?

They sell interlocking rubber floor tiles at seara sports on bypass. Same as you'd see at a gym in the weight areas.

• 3 weeks later...

If you know where McDonalds at Robinsons shoppingcenter are. Then drive to Phuket Immigration.

You had to go through a intersection with traffic-lights and turn left, then on your left side just 100 meter from this intersection you see a shop selling a lot of helmets. Stop and buy the one you like of boxes for your motorbike.

huh.gif

Thanks for that - I went in there but they only seemed to be selling helmets and when asked about boxes they did not seem to sell them. Lots of helmets though if you are after one of those.

for what it's worth before i get shot down, my smart phone has a fantastic GPS, the app that i manage to get really 1000 % improved the poisoning and graphic style that was on the original default settings.

Best value top boxes for a motor cycle is "super cheap", it's a big sweaty shed just outside phuket town, but full of i think the word is"tat", but amongst it all there are some bargains, check out the pharmacy there aswel.

For a custom wooden back box, any building site with carpenters on will knock up a box, including hinges and lock, but beware make sure you sort out the price before they start the work. thats how i got my dog kennel made

for what it's worth before i get shot down, my smart phone has a fantastic GPS, the app that i manage to get really 1000 % improved the poisoning and graphic style that was on the original default settings.

Best value top boxes for a motor cycle is "super cheap", it's a big sweaty shed just outside phuket town, but full of i think the word is"tat", but amongst it all there are some bargains, check out the pharmacy there aswel.

For a custom wooden back box, any building site with carpenters on will knock up a box, including hinges and lock, but beware make sure you sort out the price before they start the work. thats how i got my dog kennel made

Can your phone report the vehicle's position upon being queried as the OP mentioned? I wouldn't want to leave my smart phone in the vehicle all the time even if it could.

Can your phone report the vehicle's position upon being queried as the OP mentioned? I wouldn't want to leave my smart phone in the vehicle all the time even if it could.

Theres quite a few location broadcasting apps out there, mostly from a social angle but I am sure this would be there on the smartphone platforms.

UMMMMM, i've never really come up against that situation to be honest, because i use the phone GPS just like people use a hand help portable gps as a attachment out of there car GPS, Oh is it that on request my smartphone if left in the car can report the position if asked from a alternative device in a alternative place.

So really a tracking aide, never used mine as that but i see no reason why not, i'd need to check the app out on the net.

I'm in Phuket and have dealt with stolen bikes before, not fun, but now I have a gps tracking device installed in my motorbike and a couple vehicles and can view it in real time on a google map, as well as the history from any day. 5000 baht for the device and 400 baht/month for the tracking service.