How Much Fees For A 50k Baht Car?

I found an old but neat looking and good running 89 toyota corolla. engine, body and chassis seem to be very well maintained and was able to take it for a test drive. The owner is asking just 50k baht as long as i take care of the extra fees. the car is current with registration so i assume it may just be the transfer of ownership fees and tax and whatever. Problem is, i'm a poor farang on a tight budget and i just want to know a ballpark figure on how much extra i have to spend just for it to be legally mine. The car is here in khon kaen, same province where i am at. Anyone willing to help this poor fart out? :) thanks.

Assuming the owner of the vehicle has the car's bluebook you can look at it and check the dates in the book to be sure the road taxes have been paid and are up to date. Every time the annual tax is paid the Land Transport offices will make a date stamp in the book and the amount paid. If no book or not sequential dates of payments I would find another vehicle.

If you can at least afford ANY car in Thai u are not a POOR Farang... but understand ur meaning...

Message me and I will give you the info to bypass most of the taxes and fees. Of course u will need to make an under the table payment. Yet I found it a fifth of the cost of doing all that is needed to buy a cheap car.

I recently bought a 120K bt car on a Tourist Visa, not allowed yet a smallish payment made them fake the necessary work permits, residency, etc.

I am on a nothig Visa meaning extension stamp arrived on nothing 3 months ago... Yet purchased a Motorbike and car without needing to get all the necessary Doc's. A lot of time and money saved... IM if want more details... I did not know it was possible until a few days ago, now i know under the table is often far cheaper than doing it correctly.

Especially for cheaper car, yet more expensive cars would save a fortune.

Cheers Jeremy

got the car and the paperwork done today. everything worked out fine. roadtax was up to date. paid around 2k baht for the whole process. badabing badaboom... finished. The owner even threw in a slightly used hydraulic jack, early warning device and other minor tools like small wrenchs set. suprisingly, none of you guys gave a straight answer for my question. all i read was negative assumptions of how much trouble i could get into if i buy a used car. thanks for nothing...

got the car and the paperwork done today. everything worked out fine. roadtax was up to date. paid around 2k baht for the whole process. badabing badaboom... finished. The owner even threw in a slightly used hydraulic jack, early warning device and other minor tools like small wrenchs set. suprisingly, none of you guys gave a straight answer for my question. all i read was negative assumptions of how much trouble i could get into if i buy a used car. thanks for nothing...

Woulnd't worry about the fees for a 50'k car. Would worry about the repair costs for the next couple weeks.

none of you guys gave a straight answer for my question. all i read was negative assumptions of how much trouble i could get into if i buy a used car. thanks for nothing...

You may be a polite and good person.

But you do sound negative and ungrateful

when people tried to answer your question 

and you basically telling everybody to f### off

I don't see my reply as a negative assumption just given as a caution on what to look for. Sorry you are reading negativity in to all the replies but maybe some folks here have been down this road before and got burned.

Yea,, I bought a used Ford about 6 months ago. And I lied about the price. And here in Thailand it is the same as back home. I belielve 5% or so for fees. That is why i lie. And i was never questioned. 550 baht Transfer title, 50 baht for plates. Then i bought first class insurance that was the cost. 15000 baht. Along with the mandontory Gov. insurance I think 957 baht.

Assuming the owner of the vehicle has the car's bluebook you can look at it and check the dates in the book to be sure the road taxes have been paid and are up to date. Every time the annual tax is paid the Land Transport offices will make a date stamp in the book and the amount paid. If no book or not sequential dates of payments I would find another vehicle.

If road tax hasn't been paid, the maximum amount payable has been three years (plus a nominal fine) for quite some time.

(and for what its worth, expecting a detailed answer and then posting a "thanks for nothing" after only two days does seem a trifle impatient!)

Edited by JohnLeech

If road tax hasn't been paid, the maximum amount payable has been three years (plus a nominal fine) for quite some time.

(and for what its worth, expecting a detailed answer and then posting a "thanks for nothing" after only two days does seem a trifle impatient!)

It's wrong!

You have to pay all the back taxes, even if its 10 years not payd before, so you haveto pay for 10 years. It tax is expired more than 3 years, you can't just pay the back taxes you have to make new registration for the vehicles, wich cost more again.

I mention this already in another post. Transfer of owership of vecicle cost as follow:

500 Baht tax per 100'000 Baht value (the price the transpo office wil estimate, not the amount what you pay for). 150 Baht for checking the car, some stamp fees, etc.

So if car value is 300'000 Baht, the tax will be 1'500 Baht, plus 150 Baht for checking the car, plus some stamp fees, etc. will cost almost 2'000 Baht for changing ownership. Paid for a 525 Bemer, year 1994, 2450 Baht yesterday in Chonbury Town, including new registration plate and a 200 Baht fine. So there is no possibility for 550 Baht and there is no 5% of carvalue either. It is 500 Baht per 100'000 Baht value of the vehicle.

BTW, the peaple work on the "transpo office" aren't stupid. You can't say. that you pay 50'k for a car wich is 250'k worth. They know it, they have al the carvaluatons ready.