Thaksin - Will Interpol Act?

webfact

The red shirts are a terrorist organization????? What about the Yellow shirts they are not?????? Who funded them????? Why aren't they charged. This is why Thailand is becoming the laughing stock of the world So one sided. This is why you will never have peace here.

The yellow shirts are in a minor league. When they withdrew from the airport they even cleaned up, apologised for the inconvenience caused. They even forgot to torch the lot. Then the red-shirts, they've got it pat down. Shooting M79's at innocent bystanders, police and troops, sowing hatred through their Peoples TV, torching their home of two months, looting, etc.

The yellow leaders are charges, have acknowledged the charge, granted bail, still in Thailand. You may complain about their case progressing soo slowly. Still who has details on the police crackdown in June/July 2008 when yellow-shirt died from faulty teargas canisters? Where the PM and Minister of Interior charged (late K. Samak and K. Chalerm) ?

Thank goodness they had the army backing them up so they could achieve 100% of their demands! Otherwise they would have been branded terrorists and sentenced to jail sentences immediately. By the way, what is all this crap about cleaning the airport and apologizing? I remember a huge clean-up bill and a lot of arrogance. Are you guys reading the Nation again?

The airport was operational within 2 days. The huge clean up bill was for government house.

Edit: What were their demands that they acheived 100% of? The courts disbanded the PPP, but the PTP were still in government.

Edited by whybother

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand has come the laughing stock of the western world. Charging him as a terrorist because he made speeches to the Red Shirts against the government is not terrorisms.

That's probably a bit much. But I don't think anyone who has looked into recent court rulings by the Supreme Court believe that Thailand has an independent judicial branch anymore.

If the Thai government is serious and they actually have proof of crimes, why don't they ask for Thaksin to be tried in an international court? But they don't have any. If they did, it would be posted all over the Internet already.

Very few countries would be willing to involve an international court in an internal matter. Don't forget this IS an internal matter and acknowledged as such by the international community.

Interpol won't act on 'political' arrest warrant

Thaksin denies financing red movement

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in a television interview that Interpol would not execute a Thai warrant for his arrest on terrorism charges because it was politically motivated,.

He told Australian Broadcasting Corp by telephone late Wednesday that he had never supported violent protest.

"Interpol have their own criteria to judge, that is, to not be politically motivated. This is clearly politically motivated and there is no ground," he added.

Thaksin said Interpol, the Paris-based international police intelligence-sharing association, would not act on such a groundless and politically motivated warrant.

An Interpol official was not immediately available for comment on Thursday.

The Thai Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin on terrorism charges for allegedly involving in the red protests in Bangkok that left 88 people dead.

"In my mind, I always advocate ... peaceful protest," he said. "Thailand needs reconciliation."

He described the burning of buildings blamed on his supporters as a "set up."

"The big fire ... must be the work of (a) professional," he said.

He said it was "definitely" not the work of a red shirt and "it must be well planned ahead."

"As an ex-police (officer), I can assure you that this is a well planned and professionally done" act of arson, he said.

Meanwhile he told New York Times he did not finance or organize the Red Shirt movement that had staged a two-month sit-in here.

"No, no, no," he said.

As evidence, he said that during the military crackdown last week when 15 people died, "I was in Paris they sent my picture shopping at Louis Vuitton with my daughter."

After that, as red shirt leaders were being rounded up and arrested in Thailand, he said, he went to the Cannes film festival.

"I am in contact with them, and they ask for advice sometimes," he said, describing his relationship with the protest leaders. Some of those leaders asserted that he was more directly involved.

The telephone interview was one of several media interviews organized by lawyers for Thaksin, who was speaking from an undisclosed location outside Thailand, on the same day they filed an appeal against the terrorism accusation; the charge carries a maximum sentence of death.

"I have been in Uganda, Moscow, Saudi and Lebanon," he said, naming just a few of the countries he has visited on what seems an endless world tour.

"During what is happening in Thailand, I'm traveling for my business in many countries," he said. "How can I become a terrorist?"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in a television interview that Interpol would not execute a Thai warrant for his arrest on terrorism charges because it was politically motivated,.

He told Australian Broadcasting Corp by telephone late Wednesday that he had never supported violent protest.

"Interpol have their own criteria to judge, that is, to not be politically motivated. This is clearly politically motivated and there is no ground," he added.

Thaksin said Interpol, the Paris-based international police intelligence-sharing association, would not act on such a groundless and politically motivated warrant.

The Thai Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin on terrorism charges for allegedly involving in the red protests in Bangkok that left 88 people dead.

"In my mind, I always advocate ... peaceful protest," he said. "Thailand needs reconciliation."

He said it was "definitely" not the work of a red shirt and "it must be well planned ahead."

"As an ex-police (officer), I can assure you that this is a well planned and professionally done" act of arson, he said.

Meanwhile he told New York Times he did not finance or organize the Red Shirt movement that had staged a two-month sit-in here.

"No, no, no," he said.

As evidence, he said that during the military crackdown last week when 15 people died, "I was in Paris they sent my picture shopping at Louis Vuitton with my daughter."

After that, as red shirt leaders were being rounded up and arrested in Thailand, he said, he went to the Cannes film festival.

"I am in contact with them, and they ask for advice sometimes," he said, describing his relationship with the protest leaders. Some of those leaders asserted that he was more directly involved.

The telephone interview was one of several media interviews organized by lawyers for Thaksin, who was speaking from an undisclosed location outside Thailand, on the same day they filed an appeal against the terrorism accusation; the charge carries a maximum sentence of death.

"I have been in Uganda, Moscow, Saudi and Lebanon," he said, naming just a few of the countries he has visited on what seems an endless world tour.

"During what is happening in Thailand, I'm traveling for my business in many countries," he said. "How can I become a terrorist?"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-27

my Thaksin is an impudent man

he is even telling Interpol what they can do

someone should send this article to the Chief at Interpol and see how he feels about a convicted criminal and accused terrorist telling him how to do his job.

Backseeda posted

Everyone and their Dogs know Thaksin is guilty of funding that terrorist organisation called UDD... He should be brought home to face his accusers, and if he thinks he is innocent, why does he not come to face them. And serve the 2 years already hanging over him.. His ex-wife and his children should also be on that list as they helped to organise the moneys...

And I don`t know where you get facts that lead you to believe UDD would ever win an election in Thailand, it seems if we are to believe the pollsters, that their popularity has slumped to an all time low of around 18%.. And I`m sure when all the facts come out and the captured Red Shirt Leaders "spill the Beans" that figure will drop even further.. And from what I hear through my limited grapevine, they are spilling "Lots" of beans.....

“Everyone knows” backseeda ... but Interpol probably will ask for facts and documents - something those who holler the loudest about Thaksin being a terror leader seem unable to produce. Secondly the extradition treaties that Thailand has (if they have!) with other governments are notoriously circumspect. Those other governments may want a quid pro quo.

My country would really really like the return of 200 to 300 people charged with crimes but who fled to Thailand and Thailand either refuses or seems unable to send to my country – by the way that DOES not include government guys or PUY Yais to make it easier for Thailand (maintain some face) BUT if you expect that to happened you might as well wait for pigs to fly

“Everyone knows” backseeda ... but Interpol probably will ask for facts and documents - something those who holler the loudest about Thaksin being a terror leader seem unable to produce. Secondly the extradition treaties that Thailand has (if they have!) with other governments are notoriously circumspect. Those other governments may want a quid pro quo.

My country would really really like the return of 200 to 300 people charged with crimes but who fled to Thailand and Thailand either refuses or seems unable to send to my country – by the way that DOES not include government guys or PUY Yais to make it easier for Thailand (maintain some face) BUT if you expect that to happened you might as well wait for pigs to fly

Be careful, I saw a pig flying once, 1977 Pink Floyd concert for their new album "Animals" (with song 'Pigs on the Wing').

I don't know the procedure, but the Thai government probably already has to submit documents when they try to involve Interpol. Interpol may ask more details if they think the provided material is insufficient.

There is another charge that can be brought against Thaksin, namely a crime against Humanity. However I doubt Thai society, being morally blind, will countenance it. I recall that in 2003 almost 2,500 people, including a nine year child were done to death by the Thaksin regime in a so called war against drugs. It later transpired that most of the victims were innocent and to compound the offence the murdered innocents were, and still are, slandered as unrepentant drug dealers. Drawling drawing room Marxist apologists continue to cite that there is no proof to implicate Thaksin or his Ministers. However he was PM and if we employ normal standards of accountability then he and his ministers have a prima facie case of a crime against humanity to answer. Murder on this scale definitely constitutes a Crime against Humanity!

The red shirts are a terrorist organization????? What about the Yellow shirts they are not?????? Who funded them????? Why aren't they charged. This is why Thailand is becoming the laughing stock of the world So one sided. This is why you will never have peace here.

The yellow shirts are in a minor league. When they withdrew from the airport they even cleaned up, apologised for the inconvenience caused. They even forgot to torch the lot. Then the red-shirts, they've got it pat down. Shooting M79's at innocent bystanders, police and troops, sowing hatred through their Peoples TV, torching their home of two months, looting, etc.

The yellow leaders are charges, have acknowledged the charge, granted bail, still in Thailand. You may complain about their case progressing soo slowly. Still who has details on the police crackdown in June/July 2008 when yellow-shirt died from faulty teargas canisters? Where the PM and Minister of Interior charged (late K. Samak and K. Chalerm) ?

Thank goodness they had the army backing them up so they could achieve 100% of their demands! Otherwise they would have been branded terrorists and sentenced to jail sentences immediately. By the way, what is all this crap about cleaning the airport and apologizing? I remember a huge clean-up bill and a lot of arrogance. Are you guys reading the Nation again?

The airport was operational within 2 days. The huge clean up bill was for government house.

Edit: What were their demands that they acheived 100% of? The courts disbanded the PPP, but the PTP were still in government.

Their demand was to simply dissolve the government... the same basic demand that the red shirts had. Both parties had a lot on their agenda besides (red = exonerate Thaksin and friends / yellow = disenfranchise uneducated voters), but only the yellows got what they wanted again and again. The only thing they couldn't do is influence the election after Thaksin dissolved the gov't under pressure from them and then won again.

The methods to begin with were almost identical. Both called for rallies. Both paid -some- people to be there (the yellows did this openly on their television station), raised funds (from multiple sources), and used violence and threats against media and civilians that were bold enough to disagree with them. The main difference is that the yellows had active military units acting as guards, and the reds had active military units acting as aggressors.

"No, no, no," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-27

someone should send this article to the Chief at Interpol and see how he feels about a convicted criminal and accused terrorist telling him how to do his job.

I am sure the head of interpol will not be too fussed, and he will be too professional to have some personal vendetta, he will follow the law and rules laid down for him as I am sure he does in any case.

There is another charge that can be brought against Thaksin, namely a crime against Humanity. However I doubt Thai society, being morally blind, will countenance it. I recall that in 2003 almost 2,500 people, including a nine year child were done to death by the Thaksin regime in a so called war against drugs. It later transpired that most of the victims were innocent and to compound the offence the murdered innocents were, and still are, slandered as unrepentant drug dealers. Drawling drawing room Marxist apologists continue to cite that there is no proof to implicate Thaksin or his Ministers. However he was PM and if we employ normal standards of accountability then he and his ministers have a prima facie case of a crime against humanity to answer. Murder on this scale definitely constitutes a Crime against Humanity!

Excellent, so the same can be said of Abhisit and Suthep, they have to answer for their crimes

This is in the international news. I'm pretty sure it reaches France as well.

Convicted by a court influenced by an institution that we are not allowed to talk about. If the Chief at Interpol will start asking too many questions, he will suddenly face the prospect of spending 15 years in jail in Thailand himself. Hmmm...I wonder how he feels about that.

To The Terrorist Toxin, You should have said, "I hope Interpol won't act on the warrant", because your ass is grass and they're the lawn mower. You do the crime, you serve the time. You didn't govern like that, but you should get your shit in order and get ready for a long stay in jail, like for the rest of your pathetic, criminal, sociopathic life.

I can see you are new :) but the forum is quite strict on using correct names and not defaming anyone

IMO Thailand

should make it harder for their citizens to visit and enjoy Thailand

as long as Thaksin is using their countries as a base/hub/hideaway

Do onto one as what is done onto you

This is a rather strange statement. You're saying that if Thaksin were actively seeking refuge in Your 'country of origin' You would be prepared to forfeit your rights to travel to Thailand as punishment against your government for harboring a fugitive?

Scary stuff. Rather you that me!!

Their demand was to simply dissolve the government... the same basic demand that the red shirts had. Both parties had a lot on their agenda besides (red = exonerate Thaksin and friends / yellow = disenfranchise uneducated voters), but only the yellows got what they wanted again and again. The only thing they couldn't do is influence the election after Thaksin dissolved the gov't under pressure from them and then won again.

The methods to begin with were almost identical. Both called for rallies. Both paid -some- people to be there (the yellows did this openly on their television station), raised funds (from multiple sources), and used violence and threats against media and civilians that were bold enough to disagree with them. The main difference is that the yellows had active military units acting as guards, and the reds had active military units acting as aggressors.

But they didn't dissolve the government, and they stopped protesting. As I said above, the PTP were still in government when the yellows stopped their protests.

When did the yellows use violence and threats against the media and civilians?

Excellent, so the same can be said of Abhisit and Suthep, they have to answer for their crimes

Which crimes ?

As much as I loath this creature I don't see any good coming of it if he is brought back to Thailand. He'll be able to buy his way out: if not immediately, he can buy ease while being detained.

A Pattaya beer bar is metaphor for the way things are done at any level of gov't here.

Disgusting.

Thailand has come the laughing stock of the western world. Charging him as a terrorist because he made speeches to the Red Shirts against the government is not terrorisms.

That's probably a bit much. But I don't think anyone who has looked into recent court rulings by the Supreme Court believe that Thailand has an independent judicial branch anymore.

If the Thai government is serious and they actually have proof of crimes, why don't they ask for Thaksin to be tried in an international court? But they don't have any. If they did, it would be posted all over the Internet already.

Very few countries would be willing to involve an international court in an internal matter. Don't forget this IS an internal matter and acknowledged as such by the international community.

It may be in the interest of the Thai government, if it wants to taken seriously. For instance, the EU wanted to send observers to cover the last election 2007 (also an internal affair), but the army junta refused to even discuss the idea.

It may be in the interest of the Thai government, if it wants to taken seriously. For instance, the EU wanted to send observers to cover the last election 2007 (also an internal affair), but the army junta refused to even discuss the idea.

Given that Thailands recent problems are based around "free and fair" elections, it would be a good idea to have international observers.

But I don't really see either side agreeing to this.

Which crimes ?

Well as soon as there is a truly independent inquiry into the murder of unarmed civilians you will have your answer, but on a bright note they will probably be dissolved before it even gets that far for breaking election rules, unless they are allowed to go unpunished again like they were when found guilty of vote buying.

Now how about we get back on topic, these matters are discussed elswhere

Thaksin has been charged and acquitted for this already. Besides, the war on drugs appeared to have the support from a higher institution.

Interpol will make decsions based on technical legal reasons not politics. It will be a time in coming as first certain things must go through the Thai legal system and then be passed on. This isnt something that interpol will decide on today based on what newspapaers, a single Thai police officer, a government spokesperson, Amsterdam or Thaksin say and they also wont be influenced by any of that. It will depend upon the papaerwork being done correctly and the evidence and critically the financial evidence.

This is in the international news. I'm pretty sure it reaches France as well.

Convicted by a court influenced by an institution that we are not allowed to talk about. If the Chief at Interpol will start asking too many questions, he will suddenly face the prospect of spending 15 years in jail in Thailand himself. Hmmm...I wonder how he feels about that.

:D:D:D:D:D:):D

Interpol will make decsions based on technical legal reasons not politics. It will be a time in coming as first certain things must go through the Thai legal system and then be passed on. This isnt something that interpol will decide on today based on what newspapaers, a single Thai police officer, a government spokesperson, Amsterdam or Thaksin say and they also wont be influenced by any of that. It will depend upon the papaerwork being done correctly and the evidence and critically the financial evidence.

some people on here seem to think interpol will get him because he said they won't, a bit sad really, some people have been in thailand too long and think the thai way of doing something is the same in the civilised world :) They forget that in the west rule of law is observed and it is observed based on hard evidence. Interpol can not extradite anyway, they can arrest him in a country and then he is handed to that country, thailand then has to try for extradition, and considering he was ousted in an illegal coup it is highly likely that they will see this as politically motivated, especially after amsterdam gets his teeth into them (despite many on here thinking he is clueless, he is a dam_n good lawyer, just because he goes agaisnt what many on here think does not make him clueless, and lets not forget he is privy to more facts than any of us on here)

Most countries get a touch sensitive when outsiders want to observe or get involved in internal matters. As far as I remember the EU offered, or suggested, rather than 'wanted' to sent observers. In line with this, do you think the Netherlands should ask some countries to observe their general elections next month?

some people on here seem to think interpol will get him because he said they won't, a bit sad really, some people have been in thailand too long and think the thai way of doing something is the same in the civilised world :) They forget that in the west rule of law is observed and it is observed based on hard evidence. Interpol can not extradite anyway, they can arrest him in a country and then he is handed to that country, thailand then has to try for extradition, and considering he was ousted in an illegal coup it is highly likely that they will see this as politically motivated, especially after amsterdam gets his teeth into them (despite many on here thinking he is clueless, he is a dam_n good lawyer, just because he goes agaisnt what many on here think does not make him clueless, and lets not forget he is privy to more facts than any of us on here)

The only thing I want from a guy named Tony is to make my pizza the way I like it. :D

The only thing I want from a guy named Tony is to make my pizza the way I like it. :D

surely the surname would be 'Roma' :D

Given that Thailands recent problems are based around "free and fair" elections, it would be a good idea to have international observers.

But I don't really see either side agreeing to this.

I didn't know the red side was against international observers. Do you have any link supporting this?

Here is an article on the topic:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...ctoral-culture/

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya has revealed that his ministry will be sending Vice Foreign Minister Panich Wichitseth to Montenegro to ask for the extradition of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. However, Panich admits that an immediate extradition would be difficult as Montenegro has made it clear in the past that it will not extradite one of its citizens. :D:):D:D