Thaksin - Will Interpol Act?

webfact

Seems to me that many (MANY!) ThaiVisa members have far too much spare time in which to contrive their pro-government/anti-government theories.

It's actually rather pathetic, since none of us foreigners have any legal say in these events.

I blame the current aggressive rhetoric on ThaiVisa on the lack of hobbies for the elderly/retired. If these winging/carping old men kept themselves busy with a spot of gardening, or (as in my case), da-da-di-dahing with my morse code key and my ham radio, then ThaiVisa would be a much better place - a haven of peace, without these senile old men who have nothing better to do than argue about events that they know almost nothing about.

Flame away please - I'm getting old and my eyesight is not so good - so you're going to be wasting your time. :)

Simon

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to me that many (MANY!) ThaiVisa members have far too much spare time in which to contrive their pro-government/anti-government theories.

It's actually rather pathetic, since none of us foreigners have any legal say in these events.

I blame the current aggressive rhetoric on ThaiVisa on the lack of hobbies for the elderly/retired. If these winging/carping old men kept themselves busy with a spot of gardening, or (as in my case), da-da-di-dahing with my morse code key and my ham radio, then ThaiVisa would be a much better place - a haven of peace, without these senile old men who have nothing better to do than argue about events that they know almost nothing about.

Flame away please - I'm getting old and my eyesight is not so good - so you're going to be wasting your time. :)

Simon

self edited ... no need to drag simon's history on here up just to respond to an off-topic flame :D

(BTW Simon --- I am under 50 and have scads of timw while working or in the evening but still have to be next to the computer :D

[clip original article above, getting long]

All right! He explains the pylons. This one act is near conclusive prove that the whole show was planned from the start, including the assassination of army commanders and shooting of a 100 soldiers on April 10. If all 7 bombs had detonated, nothing would have been recorded that night. Probably the biggest oops of all by the reds.

Right in line with the reds destroying video cameras and shooting out street lights before the crackdown.

Ahhh, the pylons, and as hard evidence there is an link to a newspaper article which close with the following sentence:

" investigations have yet to identify the culprits behind the blasts."

sorry the whole letter is nothing more than some yellow propaganda, trash by someone who is clearly obssed with Thaksin and cannot get enough.

ultra right wing extremist and believer in conspiracy theories will never get objective.

Ah, yes. seven 5 kilogram C4 plastic explosive bombs rigged to alarm clock detonators to go off just when the reds attack the military on Saturday, obvious terrorism.

From the same article where you find a few words to defend Thaksin, but oops, no reference??? , ...........

The governor said the bombings were a terrorist act." unquote

...........and you say mentioning fact in not being objective?? :)

:facepalm:

Yes, the article called it terrorism, but where is the connection to Thaksin?

Have no idea, I didn't bring up his name. Why are you so obsessed about defending him?

Simon

Some Thaivisa members have too much free time in which to contrive their pro gardening agenda. Discussing current events is a bit more interesting than your ham radio, guess that was so boring you decided to visit Thaivisa and participate.

Do they get to lock Thaksin up regardless of whether they get a conviction of terrorism? Yes. Does that mean they can proceed with the approximately 19 outstanding cases against Thaksin that require his presence in court at least once to proceed? Yes

Do you know of any definitive list of the outstanding charges against Thaksin JD. I haven't been able to find one.

Nah ... I quit keeping track. They haven't even bothered to file the newest set of 6 afaik (the criminal cases that can go forward since Thaksin lost the assets forfieture case)

So how do you know there are 19 outstanding charges if you stopped keeping track? More garbage :)

To verbally abuse people is a minor science, but has nothing to do with this topic or the post you react on. "approximately 19" is not the same as the 'how do you know 19". You can read, but do you also understand, my dear clown?

I reply to posts. I give facts. I give opinions. I usually state which is which. I try not to bait or flame. That is about all that you do.

Will Interpol act? More than likely :D

I doubt it.

Sh.t, finding myself agreeing with dear clown. Interpol will drag it's feet as far as legally possible. The matter is complicated, politically tinted. Anyway, the Thai government first has to submit a request with sufficient documentation (like a cupboard full :) ). Then some unlucky person at Interpol has to start reading it. Don't call us, we call you.

Edited by rubl

I reply to posts. I give facts. I give opinions. I usually state which is which. I try not to bait or flame. That is about all that you do.

I doubt it.

Sh.t, finding myself agreeing with dear clown. Interpol will drag it's feet as far as legally possible. The matter is complicated, politically tinted. Anyway, the Thai government first has to submit a request with sufficient documentation (like a cupboard full :) ). Then some unlucky person at Interpol has to start reading it. Don't call us, we call you.

With "substantive" evidence as claimed by others --- IF the Gov't actually wants him back they will either get him back or force him to hide in a non-extradition country that doesn't mind harbouring terrorists.

I doubt it.

Sh.t, finding myself agreeing with dear clown. Interpol will drag it's feet as far as legally possible. The matter is complicated, politically tinted. Anyway, the Thai government first has to submit a request with sufficient documentation (like a cupboard full :D ). Then some unlucky person at Interpol has to start reading it. Don't call us, we call you.

What interpol thinks of Thailand, from interpol website....

March 2008, HONG KONG, China - A man believed to be the world's largest arms dealer, suspected of supplying weapons to Al Qaeda and the Taliban, has been arrested in Thailand following a multi-country operation with support from INTERPOL

Viktor Bout, who is accused by US authorities of conspiracy to provide material support or resources to a designated foreign terrorist organization, was arrested by the Royal Thai Police at a hotel in Bangkok on Thursday.

"This multi-country operation culminating in the arrest of Viktor Bout in Thailand is a model for how suspected dangerous international criminals need to be investigated, charged and brought to justice in the 21st century," said INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble.

"The arrest of Viktor Bout in Thailand is an excellent example of the outstanding co-operation among the international police community in general and between the U.S. and Thailand in particular, and shows the importance of INTERPOL as a key global network," said Martin Renkiewicz, Director of INTERPOL's US National Central Bureau.

more http://www.interpol.int/public/ICPO/PressR...08/PR200810.asp

Don't forget the top Al Qaeda leader in Asia arrested here and the recent arms shipment from N. Korea captured at Don Meuang, among others. I imagine that interpol and the Thai authorities are on very good speaking terms.

Yes sir, Mr. Abhisit, if you insist, krup! :D:)

Edited by rabo

I doubt it.

With "substantive" evidence as claimed by others --- IF the Gov't actually wants him back they will either get him back or force him to hide in a non-extradition country that doesn't mind harbouring terrorists.

No idea if the government really wants to have him back, would be complicated to have Thaksin S. here. On the other hand, keeping him 'on the run' may be sufficient as far as the goverm. is concerned. In that I think you're right.

People should keep in mind that INTERPOL does not have a rapid response police force that darts all over the world arresting fugitives. Any arrest would likely be done by the local police in whatever country Thaksin is hiding. INTERPOL may only act to inform the local police agency that Thaksin is wanted and request their action.

The Thai government could achieve similar results by contacting the country directly, INTERPOL may not have to be involved at all.

Edited by Humungus

The problem with the whole extradition process is that Thailand has the death penalty. And they already spoke about the death penalty against the red shirt leaders. So, assuming Thaksin is the man directing the red shirt leaders, as it is being said, he would obviously also be eligible for the death penalty. See, that's where the problem lies. Very few countries in the world will extradite someone if he faces the death penalty. And Thaksin has visited none of the countries that do.

The whole extradition story is a lot of smoke blowing, but both sides already know that it will lead to nothing.

If they didn't want him to leave, they should have arrested him when he was in Thailand. After all, the coup generals were in control back then.

After all, Samak, Thaksin's nominee,was PM when Thaksin fled the country.

Get your facts right Mr Clown.

People should keep in mind that INTERPOL does not have a rapid response police force that darts all over the world arresting fugitives. Any arrest would likely be done by the local police in whatever country Thaksin is hiding. INTERPOL may only act to inform the local police agency that Thaksin is wanted and request their action.

The Thai government could achieve similar results by contacting the country directly, INTERPOL may not have to be involved at all.

Good information, but unless the Thai government can produce hard evidence that Thaksin was behind terrorist actions in Thailand, I doubt any country will extradite him back to Thailand. My view is that this will all go nowhere.

Good information, but unless the Thai government can produce hard evidence that Thaksin was behind terrorist actions in Thailand, I doubt any country will extradite him back to Thailand. My view is that this will all go nowhere.

exactly.

agree with your view here.

Interpol won't act on 'political' arrest warrant

Thaksin denies financing red movement

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in a television interview that Interpol would not execute a Thai warrant for his arrest on terrorism charges because it was politically motivated,.

He told Australian Broadcasting Corp by telephone late Wednesday that he had never supported violent protest.

"Interpol have their own criteria to judge, that is, to not be politically motivated. This is clearly politically motivated and there is no ground," he added.

Thaksin said Interpol, the Paris-based international police intelligence-sharing association, would not act on such a groundless and politically motivated warrant.

An Interpol official was not immediately available for comment on Thursday.

The Thai Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin on terrorism charges for allegedly involving in the red protests in Bangkok that left 88 people dead.

"In my mind, I always advocate ... peaceful protest," he said. "Thailand needs reconciliation."

He described the burning of buildings blamed on his supporters as a "set up."

"The big fire ... must be the work of (a) professional," he said.

He said it was "definitely" not the work of a red shirt and "it must be well planned ahead."

"As an ex-police (officer), I can assure you that this is a well planned and professionally done" act of arson, he said.

Meanwhile he told New York Times he did not finance or organize the Red Shirt movement that had staged a two-month sit-in here.

"No, no, no," he said.

As evidence, he said that during the military crackdown last week when 15 people died, shopping at Louis Vuitton with "I was in Paris they sent my picture my daughter."

After that, as red shirt leaders were being rounded up and arrested in Thailand, he said, he went to the Cannes film festival.

"I am in contact with them, and they ask for advice sometimes," he said, describing his relationship with the protest leaders. Some of those leaders asserted that he was more directly involved.

The telephone interview was one of several media interviews organized by lawyers for Thaksin, who was speaking from an undisclosed location outside Thailand, on the same day they filed an appeal against the terrorism accusation; the charge carries a maximum sentence of death.

"I have been in Uganda, Moscow, Saudi and Lebanon," he said, naming just a few of the countries he has visited on what seems an endless world tour.

"During what is happening in Thailand, I'm traveling for my business in many countries," he said. "How can I become a terrorist?"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"" shopping at Louis Vuitton with "I was in Paris they sent my picture my daughter."""

Vuitton can name its next model " Alibi" ; your choice of a BKK scene as a pic for the ad. (bag doubles as grenade carry-all)

""

Edited by souvenirdeparis

His interview with ABC Lateline is good too http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/05/26/2910366.htm
THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: If you look at it, you know, why, the Red Shirts burn the central, why not other sites, the central, if you look at many analysis in Thailand you will understand better that the Red Shirts, they are not sophisticated enough to burn the whole building down.

They may angry to create fires, here and there a small fires, but not the big fires. The big fire is, must be the work of professional. Is not be a Red Shirt definitely and it must be well planned ahead. I can assure you, as an ex-priest I can assure you that this is a well planned and professionally done is not really, I can say is that it's a set up, it's a set up.

He's not really following things is he?

Typical red shirt response - whenever something bad happens, blame everyone else! Do they really think the red shirts are completely incapable of doing anything wrong?

"""as an ex PRIEST ""

someone should tell the world about the notorious Thaï mix of L,R and N

read ex police .

Thank God Interpol hasn't been so irresponsible as to give in to weird demands from a third world nation where freedom of speech is barred by the constitution,

Wrong, Thailand does have free speech provisions. Under Thaksin's regime, freedom of the press was squeezed so badly that the Bangkok Post started printing the relevant provision on the top left corner of the front page as a protest.

Please don't make throw away remarks about things you know nothing about.

Thailand currently ranking on 130. of 175 countries on the Press Freedom Index compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders

because in previous years the total number of countries in the list vary lets also compare the Notes/score Thailand got. a lower note indicated more freedom

Year/ note / rank

2009: 44.00 130. of 175 countries

2008: 34.50 124. of 173

2007: 53.50 135. of 169

2006: 33.50 122. of 168

2005: 28.00 107. of 167

2004: 14.00 59. of 167

2003: 19.67 82. of 166

2002: 22.75 65. of 135

http://en.rsf.org/spip.php?page=classement...d_rubrique=1001

Anyway, the right of freedom if the media is part of the constitution. but this is now heavy violated by the current government in power. it has become more worse than under Thaksin.

PS: Please don't make throw away remarks about things you know nothing about. that is something you should obey yourself.

Btw. did you found in the meantime the article about the 'politically motivated case' and Interpols position about it?

edit: added a PS

I won't comment about rsf.org except to say there may be more objective ratings, including Freedom house, the longest and most respected organization for rating press freedoms. They tell a slightly different story. Second, a single ranking is not a good indicator, consider a perfect world where all press is completely free, except for Singapore, :) , there is little meaning to a ranking of 199/200. See ratings by year here.

http://freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=359

Most interesting is that in the late 90s, Thailand was a bright star of press freedom in the region, rated as one of the only 30 some percent of countries with a free press.

mopf_slide_99.jpg

By 2004, it is rated as only partially free, but still above all its neighbors, especially countries like Vietnam and Singapore.

mopf_slide_04.jpg

Also see world audit, as another. http://www.worldaudit.org/press.htm Thai=85/150 Sing=112 China=138 N. Korea=150

Note, in Suchinda's time, the press was not free at all yet even during the crackdown, papers like the Nation and the unmentionable, which were fiercely against the government at the time, refused to close and printed papers with large blanked out areas to show where the government had censored information.

It was the reds that methodically destroyed or covered up the surveillance cameras throughout the city. The government methodically shut down more radical internet sites, but note that an internet site can lie, cameras don't. For the most part, the government left the media alone, even if it was from pragmatism.

Let's be more objective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Some empty space trimmed from quoted areas, empty logic left in place.

you are aware that the time moves forward and not backward? So did it become anyhow better AFTER Thaksin?

FoPMap2009.jpg

okay lets have a look what we can find at the freedomhouse.org uf reporters without borders isn't objective for you.

from your source freedom house

http://www.freedomhouse.org/uploads/UNHRC/2010UNHRC.pdf

EXPERT EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES

TO THE UN HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL FOR THE TERM 2010-2013

JOINT REPORT BY FREEDOM HOUSE and UN WATCH

PRESENTED AT UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS, New York, May 4, 2010

Thailand

UN VOTING RECORD: Negative

SUITABILITY FOR HRC MEMBERSHIP: Questionable

Human Rights Record

Thailand is ranked Partly Free by Freedom House with a score of a 5 out of a worst possible 7 for political rights and a 4 on the scale from 1 to 7 for civil liberties. After the fall of the People’s Power Party in late 2008, Democratic Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva formed a new coalition and took office as prime minister. Red-shirted opposition protests were ongoing throughout the year and turned violent over the Songkran holiday, the Thai New Year. In retaliation, Abhisit’s government moved swiftly to crack down on the opposition by revoking former prime minster Thaksin’s remaining passport, issuing arrest warrants for protest leaders, and shutting down radio stations involved in mobilizing support for the anti-government movement. The government also invoked the Internal Security Act to curtail UDD protests and arrested red shirt leaders on lèse majesté grounds.The government’s coercive use of lèse majesté to curb freedom of expression and political speech increased dramatically this past year, though the opposition also stretched the boundaries of acceptable protest. Lèse majesté laws prohibit the defamation of the monarchy, but over the year authorities used the law to target political activists, scholars, students, journalists, foreign authors, and politicians who were critical of the government. The Defense Ministry and the Information and Communication Technology (MICT) Ministry are the prime enforcers of lèse majesté laws. In August 2009, the MICT created a police taskforce within the ministry to monitor websites and identify those posting content that violates lèse majesté law. Thailand’s broadcast media is also subject to restrictions; the country’s six main television stations and all 525 radio frequencies are monopolized by the government and military.

UN Voting Record

In the past year at the GA, Thailand abstained on the resolutions condemning the human rights situations in Iran, Myanmar (Burma) and North Korea and voted in favor of ―Combating defamation of religions.‖ It was not a member of the HRC.

----------------

freedom scores of the past years. (scale from 1 to 7, a score of 1 is best and a score of 7 is worst possible)

Thailand (2010)

Political Rights Score: 5

Civil Liberties Score: 4

Thailand (2007)

Political Rights Score: 7

Civil Liberties Score: 4

Thailand (2005)

Political Rights Score: 2

Civil Liberties Score: 3

Thailand (2004)

Thailand (2002)

exactly.

Just because the government hasn't summoned members of Thaivisa to DSI headquarters and briefed them on the evidence doesn't mean they don't have any. Why should they publicize their evidence at this point? There may be additional charges against people who assisted Thaksin, why give them advance warning? What about those close to Thaksin who fled the country around May 19, did any of them come back, and what were they running from?

UN Voting Record

In the past year at the GA, Thailand abstained on the resolutions condemning the human rights situations in Iran, Myanmar (Burma) and North Korea

Thailand is a sovereign nation and is not obligated to endorse every resolution from the UN, Thaksin would agree with that. UN resolutions rarely amount to anything anyway. Thailand is a member of ASEAN and a neighbor of Myanmar, if they have their own way of engaging their neighbor that is fine. Thailand and Myanmar have issues like trade, cross border security and the illegal drug smuggling that can benefit from cooperation and dialogue. How is it in Thailand's interests to vote for a useless UN resolution, it won't increase bilateral relations. Keeping countries like North Korea isolated and condemning them has yet to bring reform and better human rights for their citizens. The UN is often the Thaivisa of international politics, a lot of strong words, and no action.

exactly.

Just because the government hasn't summoned members of Thaivisa to DSI headquarters and briefed them on the evidence doesn't mean they don't have any. Why should they publicize their evidence at this point? There may be additional charges against people who assisted Thaksin, why give them advance warning? What about those close to Thaksin who fled the country around May 19, did any of them come back, and what were they running from?

just because the government dreams about and some ultra fanatic Thaksin obsessed board members wish, hope and pray for it so hard, that Interpol will assist in the Thaksin hunt, doesn't mean it will somehow happen.

Just look all the previous attempt of the Abhisit government to get Thaksin and to get some help from Interpol or foreign governments. Total failure, or actually just propaganda smoke grenades.

keep talking about the evil Thaksin and avoid to deal with other issues.

pointing at Thaksin allows the Abhisit government to create their version of Two Minutes Hate.

just because the government dreams about and some ultra fanatic Thaksin obsessed board members wish, hope and pray for it so hard, that Interpol will assist in the Thaksin hunt, doesn't mean it will somehow happen.

Just look all the previous attempt of the Abhisit government to get Thaksin and to get some help from Interpol or foreign governments. Total failure, or actually just propaganda smoke grenades.

keep talking about the evil Thaksin and avoid to deal with other issues.

pointing at Thaksin allows the Abhisit government to create their version of Two Minutes Hate.

Questions of overwhelming conclusive evidence and Interpol aside mazeltov, I have a question for you.

Do you think that Thaksin (1) provided large amounts of funding for the demonstrations, and (2) played a role in the planning of or gave a green light for the burning of Central World and other buildings in Thailand?

Edited by way2muchcoffee

The problem with the whole extradition process is that Thailand has the death penalty. And they already spoke about the death penalty against the red shirt leaders. So, assuming Thaksin is the man directing the red shirt leaders, as it is being said, he would obviously also be eligible for the death penalty. See, that's where the problem lies. Very few countries in the world will extradite someone if he faces the death penalty. And Thaksin has visited none of the countries that do.

The whole extradition story is a lot of smoke blowing, but both sides already know that it will lead to nothing.

If they didn't want him to leave, they should have arrested him when he was in Thailand. After all, the coup generals were in control back then.

After all, Samak, Thaksin's nominee,was PM when Thaksin fled the country.

Get your facts right Mr Clown.

Our friend the clown doesn't work on the same timeframe as the rest of the world. Events in his timeline move forward and backward in time to suit his propoganda. Broken clockworks inside? Since Dubai (the UAE) and China both execute people he missed the boat there too!

Thaksin was out of the country at the time of the coup. He returned and answered charges on 2 crimes. He left to see the opening of the Olympics. His lawyers got busted. He failed to return. How much he left with is just a guess. He has not passed through Thai Immigration since he left for the Olympics.

Thaksin said he trusted the Thai courts ---- right up until some of his lawyers got busted for the bakery fiasco :)

Do they get to lock Thaksin up regardless of whether they get a conviction of terrorism? Yes. Does that mean they can proceed with the approximately 19 outstanding cases against Thaksin that require his presence in court at least once to proceed? Yes

Do you know of any definitive list of the outstanding charges against Thaksin JD? I haven't been able to find one.

Not sure how definitive this list is w2mc, but it came up in a thread last year and was said to have been sourced from The BP:

Acts of dishonesty:

1. (Purchase of land worth 772 million baht from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund.) - dealt with

2. Purchase of rubber saplings worth 1.44 billion baht by the Department of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operatives.

3. Purchase of luggage conveyor belts and CTX 9000 bomb scanners.

Damage to state: 1.5 billion baht.

4. Issuance of two and three-digit lottery tickets by the Government Lottery Bureau.

Damage to state: 37.790 billion baht. +

5. Loans by Krung Thai Bank executives.

Damage to state: 5.185 billion baht.

Abuse of power to accumulate unusual wealth:

1. Change in agreement on revenue sharing for prepaid mobile phone services to benefit Advanced Info Service (AIS).

Damage to state: 71.667 billion baht.

2. Change in agreement on the rate of revenue sharing between TOT and AIS.

Damage to state: 700 million baht.

3. Issuing of an executive decree on telecommunications excise taxes, and a cabinet resolution turning concession fees into excise taxes.

Damage to state: 30.667 billion baht.

4. Instructing TOT to rent and invest unnecessarily in the satellite frequency of Shin Satellite.

Damage to state: 700 million baht.

5. Ordering Exim Bank to allow the Burmese government to draw loans amounting to 1 billion baht in order to buy products and services from Shin Satellite.

6. Using international trade negotiations to trade national interests for those of the satellite businesses of Shin Corp, adding considerable business value to Shin Satellite.

No suprise really. Only a few working braincells are needed to realise the arrest warrant is political.

Even inanimate objects know that Thaksin was funding and leading the reds.

:-) The thing with terrorism charges is that it won't matter if it has political overtones if the warrant is based upon substantive evidence.

Make any claim you want ----- inciting political violence to intimidate the populace and government and it becomes terrorism. Funding terrorism is an active part of a conspiracy. Funding and more ..... Buh bye ....