Bali Trip

Voo Doo

I'm off to Bali for few days next week after long time.

In Indonesian Forum there's a Bali boycott after the 20 years jail sentence for an Ausie girl bust.

Anybody been there recently? Is it safe there and still friendly like years ago? Want to stay in Ubud. Maybe any good hotel advice?

Thx

In Indonesian Forum there's a Bali boycott after the 20 years jail sentence for an Ausie girl bust.

Anybody been there recently? Is it safe there and still friendly like years ago? Want to stay in Ubud. Maybe any good hotel advice?

Thx

Don't bother with the place. I've been there about 12 times since 1976 when it was completely natural and unspoiled. I won't go again. It's not just the Corby verdict that I'm concerned about (I'm not entirely convinced she's innocent, but the process of her arrest, trial and sentencing was barbaric!) Bali remains a beautiful island, and Ubud a jewel, but the people you encounter now as a tourist do not resemble the special Hindu Balinese of the past.

As it became the richest part of Indonesia the Javanese flocked there in their thousands to take advantage of the tourist riches. They hassel you to the point of madness in their attempts to seperate you from your rupiah and it completely spoils the whole experience.

Another Aussie has just been set up by the drug dealers for a very small amount of hashish and faces 10 years inside. The system allows the dealers to operate untouched, but jumps on the young, dumb druggies who blunder around the world completely forgoing any modican of common sense. This has taken away the charm of interaction with the special, friendly local people. Best to spend your dollars (or what ever) in LOS where the people have and will always retain their own special identity, friendliness and independancy.

Thx

Don't bother with the place. I've been there about 12 times since 1976 when it was completely natural and unspoiled. I won't go again. It's not just the Corby verdict that I'm concerned about (I'm not entirely convinced she's innocent, but the process of her arrest, trial and sentencing was barbaric!) Bali remains a beautiful island, and Ubud a jewel, but the people you encounter now as a tourist do not resemble the special Hindu Balinese of the past.

As it became the richest part of Indonesia the Javanese flocked there in their thousands to take advantage of the tourist riches. They hassel you to the point of madness in their attempts to seperate you from your rupiah and it completely spoils the whole experience.

Another Aussie has just been set up by the drug dealers for a very small amount of hashish and faces 10 years inside. The system allows the dealers to operate untouched, but jumps on the young, dumb druggies who blunder around the world completely forgoing any modican of common sense. This has taken away the charm of interaction with the special, friendly local people. Best to spend your dollars (or what ever) in LOS where the people have and will always retain their own special identity, friendliness and independancy.

Interesting post there croc.

Although not to wish anything bad on Bali's tourism (particularly as we have had our share of troubles in Thailand) lets hope that the tourist and long term expats alike follow you & opt for the wonderful LOS.

In every loss there is a gain !! :o

Thx

Although not to wish anything bad on Bali's tourism (particularly as we have had our share of troubles in Thailand) lets hope that the tourist and long term expats alike follow you & opt for the wonderful LOS.

G'day Kid. Bali was once a strong consideration as a venue for my retirement years. I, fortunately, realised it couldn't compare with Thailands overall package. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Bali (its amazing what a six pack of Hahn Premium and a bottle of Goundry Unwooded can do to your memories of a particular place.) I've had some great times in Bali. Everyone should go there for a look VooDoo. It is a special part of the world.

Thx

G'day Kid. Bali was once a strong consideration as a venue for my retirement years. I, fortunately, realised it couldn't compare with Thailands overall package. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Bali (its amazing what a six pack of Hahn Premium and a bottle of Goundry Unwooded can do to your memories of a particular place.) I've had some great times in Bali. Everyone should go there for a look VooDoo. It is a special part of the world.

Thx 4 your advice but looks like I'm still in the dead point. Been there, seen it all.

Wanted to hear something special.

Anyway I'm gonna take "the risk". Used to love that place. Missing local beer there like Bintang ...(heard tastes like Haineken now...?!) and local food of course.

Good to have Tiger beer in Samui anyway, will compare with "Hainee" soon.

Speak soon mates. Thx

you didnt mention what kind of hotel u prefer, in what price range.... 5 star, 4 star, 3 star..... or a small family-run guesthouse by original Balinese people....or whatever....

Hey, Bali is magic.....if I would have the chance to live there, I would move to that place immidiately...... I agree with the thing that many Javanese people went to Bali to get some of your RUPIAH there.....but doesnt that happen anywhere, in Thailand as well ? The real balinese people are very friendly, and they are probably the most peaceful people in Asia..... just read something about their history and you will understand.....

as for Ubud, its easy to find a place to stay there, but if you dont want to book in advance, u should bring ur own transport, as small Ubud is very widespread..... I know at least 20 Bali-related tourism- and travel-websites, so if you need to know more, just feel free to contact me.....

as for the trial of the Aussie lady......yes its a shame, I agree, but thats the law system.....and has nothing to do with the people in everydays life.....I like Bali, and I like Indonesia, because this is the REAL "land of smile".....even its a smile from a dirty face and will make you feel sad and depressed sometimes when you see all the poverty, esp. in Jakarta......

but I must say, people anywhere in Indonesia always treated me much better and with a lot more respect than in Thailand.....okay, now this will start another harsh discussion I guess :o

I don't know what you want. Places I've stayed in Ubud and liked:

Klub Kokos - Long walk into town, but beautiful, isolated location with great views and a nice pool.

Ananda Cottages - Walk less long, but another beautiful location with great views and a lovely dining area.

Puri Saraswati Bungalows - Right in town on the grounds of a former temple.

Hans Snell's Siti Bungalows - Hans is passed on now, but the place is still nice, with a beautiful pond, nice art gallery and the coldest beer in Ubud. Also right in town.

All these places are in the "moderate" range.

I've been visiting Ubud since the late 70's. Yeah, it has changed. But, IMHO, if you stay out of town and just come in to shop or dine or walk around you can still have an idyllic vacation there.

you didnt mention what kind of hotel u prefer, in what price range.... 5 star, 4 star, 3 star..... or a small family-run guesthouse by original Balinese people....or whatever....

Hey, Bali is magic.....if I would have the chance to live there, I would move to that place immidiately...... I agree with the thing that many Javanese people went to Bali to get some of your RUPIAH there.....but doesnt that happen anywhere, in Thailand as well ? The real balinese people are very friendly, and they are probably the most peaceful people in Asia..... just read something about their history and you will understand.....

as for Ubud, its easy to find a place to stay there, but if you dont want to book in advance, u should bring ur own transport, as small Ubud is very widespread..... I know at least 20 Bali-related tourism- and travel-websites, so if you need to know more, just feel free to contact me.....

as for the trial of the Aussie lady......yes its a shame, I agree, but thats the law system.....and has nothing to do with the people in everydays life.....I like Bali, and I like Indonesia, because this is the REAL "land of smile".....even its a smile from a dirty face and will make you feel sad and depressed sometimes when you see all the poverty, esp. in Jakarta......

but I must say, people anywhere in Indonesia always treated me much better and with a lot more respect than in Thailand.....okay, now this will start another harsh discussion I guess  :o

You are right, I forgot to mention what kind of hotel. Moderate price would do.

Anyway found some web sites already. Thanks a lot.

Still don't know to book it online or just drive around to find something myself there.

if you have your own transport, dont book online !!!! arrive at Ubud not later than noon, you will find the nicest places and the best bargains by driving around.....I stayed at a nice guesthouse, centrally located but absolutely quiet, run by local Balinese people for as low as 150.000 RP a night (12 Euro/15 US$), bungalow-style, had AC (even its not too hot at Ubud as you will know), nice pool, and my money went into the pockets of local balinese people. They manufactured traditional music instruments on their premises and it was great to watch that.....those people value their own culture a lot, and it made me feeling well to support them by staying at their guesthouse.

I don't know what you want. Places I've stayed in Ubud and liked:

Klub Kokos - Long walk into town, but beautiful, isolated location with great views and a nice pool.

Ananda Cottages - Walk less long, but another beautiful location with great views and a lovely dining area.

Puri Saraswati Bungalows - Right in town on the grounds of a former temple.

Hans Snell's Siti Bungalows - Hans is passed on now, but the place is still nice, with a beautiful pond, nice art gallery and the coldest beer in Ubud. Also right in town.

All these places are in the "moderate" range.

I've been visiting Ubud since the late 70's. Yeah, it has changed. But, IMHO, if you stay out of town and just come in to shop or dine or walk around you can still have an idyllic vacation there.

Thinking about Han Snel Bungalow

Checked it's web site and looks good. Want to stay near shopping and galleries area. It's a business trip. Hope I made right choice.

Thanks a lot.

Maybe you know any good places to buy wholesale art, home decor and local garments?

the r24.org website is okay for Thailand, but is 100% crap when it comes to bali...... Bali is so big, but they list all hotels just under the name of BALI, but can be in Sanur as well as 100 km away in Lovina...... thats a big nonsense..... there are plenty of more helpful websites, but as I said, if you book online in advance, you will feel sorry when u arrive because u will see so many more nice places....and as for Bali, you can easily get a cheaper rate rather when just walking-in than booking online in advance.....

Maybe you know any good places to buy wholesale art, home decor and local garments?

This kind of stuff is available everywhere. However, if you're looking for quantities it would be worth your while to get to the villages where it is manufactured. Different villages specialize in different handicrafts: wood carving here, silver there, furniture down the road.

I'm not much of a shopper, so I can't give you much advice. I'm sure that LP or any of the other guidebooks can tell you where to find specific items.

The only thing I ever bought much of was stone carvings for the garden. That village (forgot the name) is about 10K south of Ubud.

This kind of stuff is available everywhere. However, if you're looking for quantities it would be worth your while to get to the villages where it is manufactured. Different villages specialize in different handicrafts: wood carving here, silver there, furniture down the road.

I'm not much of a shopper, so I can't give you much advice. I'm sure that LP or any of the other guidebooks can tell you where to find specific items.

The only thing I ever bought much of was stone carvings for the garden. That village (forgot the name) is about 10K south of Ubud.

Thanks so much anyway.

the r24.org website is okay for Thailand, but is 100% crap when it comes to bali...... Bali is so big, but they list all hotels just under the name of BALI, but can be in Sanur as well as 100 km away in Lovina...... thats a big nonsense..... there are plenty of more helpful websites, but as I said, if you book online in advance, you will feel sorry when u arrive because u will see so many more nice places....and as for Bali, you can easily get a cheaper rate rather when just walking-in than booking online in advance.....

Borneo? where...? KK?

Been there , love it! Good diving site.

Tell me more.

Borneo? where...? KK?

Been there , love it! Good diving site.

Tell me more.

Sorry. Talking about Borneo.... forgot Bali.

Spend few months in KK before.

Anyway, booked hotel in Ubud so let it be...:-)

Next time.

Your signature says: "I live in Thailand now, but my heart and soul will belong to BORNEO forever"

I like it somehow. Different place, different people. Tell me more about it. Was it Malaysian or Indonesian part of Borneo? Perfect diving spot.