PM Abhisit Challenges Thaksin

webfact

It is a fact that once Khun Thaksin's funds run out that he will be a man without a country. Even Montenegro will not want him. I suspect that if he does not invest there his welcome will be withdrawn and he will flee to another even smaller enclave. Should all of the funds seized by the government with the latest court rulings be funneled away so that he cannot attain them through whatever means, his presence will be a liability to whoever is harboring him. Just keep the pressure on him financially and he will soon have nowhere to roost. Starve him out via his loss of money.

I would also suggest that those monies seized be used to rebuild and refurbish all that Khun Thaksin has helped destroy. Rebuild the government buildings burnt out in the NE and Chiang Mai. Supply funding to those businesses in Bangkok that the supporters of the exiled PM destroyed. Pay back the country he helped set afire with the funds he and his family acquired through ill means. Karma...........

Yes, but...he has millions or billions in offshore hide-a-ways - he ain't gonna run out in his lifetime.

Millions or Billions,bit of a diference between the two dont you think tiger !

Its not a case wether he runs out of money,its that his ability to buy his way in to degenerate countries will be diminished as each month passes

To bring the parasite back though in my opinion would be a grave mistake

Its the family that now need to be targeted ,as he has no regards to any of the families of this country i dont see why any should be given to his

Bring him to his knees in his mind,and the rest of them will follow

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Interpol, they need Thailand more than Thailand needs the Interpol. A lot of criminals run to Thailand to hide. We hear about them from time to time so if they refuse to help I can imagine that under the current government the Interpol will do very little or no business in Thailand and I am sure they will need help sooner or later, like if you refuse to help us then do not expect us to help you. Simple.

Regarding the Interpol, they need Thailand more than Thailand needs the Interpol. A lot of criminals run to Thailand to hide. We hear about them from time to time so if they refuse to help I can imagine that under the current government the Interpol will do very little or no business in Thailand and I am sure they will need help sooner or later, like if you refuse to help us then do not expect us to help you. Simple.

interesting point

If Abhisit would just return to his country of birth and stay there, Thailand could go forward with its long, long reconciliation phase. With the waters polluted with the hi-so hate-speech of Abhisit, Kasit and others, nothing good can happen.

Does your comment about returning to country of birth apply equally to other Thais born of high position?

Sniper, shot in the head...yes, it rings a bell. And the bell is still asking, who did it, and who ordered it? No one knows if it was the government, the reds, a 'third' party, or an individual with a grudge.

You're implying that it was a government sniper. If you can back that up with proof, I'd love to see it.

Immediate elections weren't good enough for the red shirt leaders. One of their last demands before the dispersal happened, was that the red leaders wanted Mr Abhisit to quit immediately, and place himself into voluntary exile out of the country.

That would make for fair and honest elections, wouldn't it!!! That would certainly be Democracy in action, if he had caved in to their demands and left the country. Sheesh....

"" If you can back that up with proof, I'd love to see it ""....what about you showing some proof that the red shirts did this and did that...all we heard were mis-info from the Abihisit machinary.....six people were shot and killed in a temple ( a house of God )...and you you want proof...the murderer is Thaksin that's what you want to hear, right........if such massacre happens in your country, tell us what will be the reactions..... :)

"showing some proof that the red shirts did this and did that"

Wow - if you had only asked for something just a little more specific than "did this and did that."

Ok - to prove "did this and did that" perform a search of other threads and click on the little blue letters that bring you to YouTube. Chances are, "this and that" are proven there, except for the "this and that" that have yet to be proven. Sheesh....

I'm not aware that any proof of who shot the six people in the temple (we won't touch on your understanding of Buddhism). Do you have proof?

Here's how it works. The previous poster accused the government of sniping Seh Daeng. The accuser is the one who must offer proof of his accusation. Otherwise, it's like the question "when did you stop hitting your wife?". The implication by the person who asked the question is that you had hit your wife; if you never have, how can you prove it? Can't be done.

So - we have an accusation backed up by...no proof. Now, it would seem that you are accusing, by implication, the government of killing six people in a temple. Show some proof, please.

"the murderer is Thaksin that's what you want to hear, right" No, I'd like to know who was responsible for the shooting. If you know who did it, please show proof. It's a simple thing to ask, and should be a simple thing to answer, if you have the proof. If you do not, then it is a baseless accusation.

As far as something happening in my country(ies), that is not relevant to the situation at hand, and has nothing to do with Thailand, so I won't take your bait.

Yes sure, sure, a few more years...

and let's pretend this isn't perpetuating rule by the elites either...

Don't forget that for someone to be labeled elite by the reds they must not only be rich and hi-so, but they must be against Thaksin. That counts out Mr Tiida. :)

Your totally wrong.

To be considered an Elite family you do not have to be rich or be seen in high society. You have to be able to trace the descent of your family back to the first Chakri king Rama 1. If you can do that you are allowed to put the capital letters MR in front of your family name. For example the Govenor of Bangkok, Sukhumbhand MRParipatra.

Having said that I doubt that Thaksin or any other Thai could match the wealth of the Elite families accumulated over generations. And they are determined to hang onto their wealth, huge land holdings and power.

So by that standard which of the cabinet members are elite? Korn, Korbask, Abhisit, Suthep? Any?

What if Interpol calls your bluff? Do you really want Thailand to be a sanctuary for the world's worst criminals?

Sniper, shot in the head...yes, it rings a bell. And the bell is still asking, who did it, and who ordered it? No one knows if it was the government, the reds, a 'third' party, or an individual with a grudge.

You're implying that it was a government sniper. If you can back that up with proof, I'd love to see it.

Immediate elections weren't good enough for the red shirt leaders. One of their last demands before the dispersal happened, was that the red leaders wanted Mr Abhisit to quit immediately, and place himself into voluntary exile out of the country.

That would make for fair and honest elections, wouldn't it!!! That would certainly be Democracy in action, if he had caved in to their demands and left the country. Sheesh....

"" If you can back that up with proof, I'd love to see it ""....what about you showing some proof that the red shirts did this and did that...all we heard were mis-info from the Abihisit machinary.....six people were shot and killed in a temple ( a house of God )...and you you want proof...the murderer is Thaksin that's what you want to hear, right........if such massacre happens in your country, tell us what will be the reactions..... :)

I can tell you what would happen in my country if an armed group of protesters takes over the downtown area of the capitol city and kills security personnel. I can also tell you what the public reaction would be if after they are forcefully removed they proceed to bomb, burn, and loot buildings throughout the city.

Gee 6 people? What about 3000 people under Thaksin? Let's not forget the southern Muslims killed in their house of God. If such a massacre happens in some other fella's country, I wonder what would be their reactions...

Typical kwai daeng. Criticise others but so conveniently forgetting the worse crimes committed by their beloved leader.

This cult of Thaksin amazes me. He was thrown out of office and fled the country in 2006 but he still commands so much attention.

I am not so sure it is the healthiest attitude for Thailand to be so obsessed with this man. The phrase throwing out the baby with the bath water comes to mind.

If Abhisit would just return to his country of birth and stay there, Thailand could go forward with its long, long reconciliation phase. With the waters polluted with the hi-so hate-speech of Abhisit, Kasit and others, nothing good can happen.

Yeah, let's contrast that with the peace & love speeches from the red shirts stages! Or Thaksin talking from both sides of his mouth ("road map is good", but the ordering Seh Daeng to continue the protests). Or the command to the EC: "Dissolve the democratic party or we'll dissolve your lives"!

Wake up to the reality! If anyone is guilty of hate speeches it's the red side!

Does your comment about returning to country of birth apply equally to other Thais born of high position?

Jack, I am sure he's unaware to whom you are referring.

Must have put his fingers in action before his brain.

""This government does everything in accordance with the law. Only the other side has been instigating violations of the law in this country," he said."

This said by Abhisit is embarrassing, really! Hello? Seh Daeng, sniper, shot in the head, ring any bell?

Reconciliation? Fairness? Go for immediate election making sure both Parties accept the outcome and work legally as serious opposition as it happens in any modern Democracy.

If they keep delaying and holding on to their chair, issues like Thaksin, the Reds, PAD, will never end.

Hello? Terrorist shot in the head by sniper? Do we care? And stop deluding yourself about him being a 'peaceful protest leader'. You don't even have to believe the press about him, just read his own wink wink nudge nudge interviews. The man got what was coming to him.

You Red sympathizers always cry about immediate elections. That was never going to happen. What could have happened was the November elections which could have gone ahead. You guys lost a victory because you got greedy. And then you burned down the city because you're sore losers.

Given the fact that the red warrier was shot at reasonably close range and not with a sniper's bullet, I doubt very much if the Government was involved. I think you have to look at two possible sources for the assassin: a) Officers from the army who were highly peed off by him working independently of their command or :) Red leaders who did not want him to take over their movement ................................ just a thought but don't just assume it was the Government

Djukanovic said Thaksin had been an elected Thai premier whose government was brought down by a military coup.

Correct me if I am wrong

At the time of the Coup there was no legal government in power

Thaskin was caretaker PM and did not call an election as per the constitution

The coup was to stop a bloody massacre that was about to unfold on the streets of Bangkok

It was not to bring down a government

as at this time there was no constitutional government in power

Please correct me if I am wrong

I don't know whether you are right or wrong.

It strikes me that Thaksin was the last pre-coup elected PM and that his government was elected too. If it was out of time under the then constitution then there must be provision under that constitution for a run-off till an election is called and that would legitimise his position.

The fact that this is the first time i have read this point doesn't make it a wrong one. It does seem a bit strange though.

I can't see interpol arresting on this warrant. It is or certainly has the appearances of being politically motivated.

Also i wonder what the potential penalty is for terrorism in Thailand. If it is death then unless they rule that out i don't think Europe would allow extradition on that ground either. Certainly the UK would not allow that.

Whilst people are talking about legitimacy what is happening on Abhisit's strike out by the constitutional court ?

^ Agreed, in 10 years or less, he could be a serious contender to be PM. Is he going to be a candidate in the upcoming elections?

Of course, he is going to have to get over his habit of opening his mouth and inserting his foot! :)

As i recall, he ran in elections for Bangkok Governor. Anyone know how many votes he won?

He came in third. As a first attempt as an independent, with no established party backing him, I'd say that's an encouraging result.

But as for the right here right now, I support anyone put forward by the party the Thai people elect. If that's Abhisit, all the more power to him.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

""This government does everything in accordance with the law. Only the other side has been instigating violations of the law in this country," he said."

This said by Abhisit is embarrassing, really! Hello? Seh Daeng, sniper, shot in the head, ring any bell?

Reconciliation? Fairness? Go for immediate election making sure both Parties accept the outcome and work legally as serious opposition as it happens in any modern Democracy.

If they keep delaying and holding on to their chair, issues like Thaksin, the Reds, PAD, will never end.

Hello? Terrorist shot in the head by sniper? Do we care? And stop deluding yourself about him being a 'peaceful protest leader'. You don't even have to believe the press about him, just read his own wink wink nudge nudge interviews. The man got what was coming to him.

You Red sympathizers always cry about immediate elections. That was never going to happen. What could have happened was the November elections which could have gone ahead. You guys lost a victory because you got greedy. And then you burned down the city because you're sore losers.

Given the fact that the red warrier was shot at reasonably close range and not with a sniper's bullet, I doubt very much if the Government was involved. I think you have to look at two possible sources for the assassin: a) Officers from the army who were highly peed off by him working independently of their command or :) Red leaders who did not want him to take over their movement ................................ just a thought but don't just assume it was the Government

I agree with this there is no smoking gun pointing at the Government !! There are a number of potential killers for this man. Most helpful to the government though......

Hard to return Thaksin to face trial in Thailand if he gives up Thai citizenship

BANGKOK (TNA) -- Attempts by the government to bring back fugitive, ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from Montenegro to Thailand to face terrorism charges would be difficult if he has relinquished Thai citizenship, Panich Vikitsreth, Vice Minister for Foreign Affairs, said on Saturday.

Mr Panich, who is scheduled to travel to Montenegro next month and to request its government to deport Mr Thaksin to Thailand, admitted that Montenegro's constitution stipulates that Montenegrins shall not be extradited to face charges in a foreign land.

The Thai government now must explain to the Montenegrin government that the deportation request is because Mr Thaksin is a Thai citizen and his wrongdoings were committed in this country and have already been judged by a Thai court and were free from political intervention, he said.

It is quite worrisome if Mr Thaksin holds dual citizenship, he said, adding that revocation of Thai citizenship could stall pending charges against the ousted premier.

On earlier remarks by Interpol that it had not yet received a request from the Thai government for Mr Thaksin's arrest, Mr Panich said concerned Thai authorities are now collecting evidence which would be used in filing charges against him.

Mr Thaksin was ousted in a bloodless coup in September 2006 and went into self-exile overseas. He stands accused of masterminding and funding the violent protest of the Red Shirts which culminated in an army assault and Red Shirt arson in the capital and provinces in the North and Northeast during the past week. The bloody street fighting ended on May 19.

Also, Mr Thaksin was earlier sentenced to a two-year imprisonment in absentia for guilty of conflict of interest while in power.

Associate Professor Pantip Kanchanachitra of Thammasat University’s Faculty of Law stated that under the Thai constitution, a Thai citizen automatically loses his nationality if he was naturalised in another ountry.

“It is still doubtful presently whether Mr Thaksin has become a citizen of Montenegro," said Dr Pantip. "It doesn’t mean that he would become a Montenegrin if he holds that country’s passport.”

But if he has naturalised to become a Montenegrin citizen then it is the duty of the Thai interior minister to revoke his Thai citizenship and announce it in the Royal Gazette, he added.

An earlier report by the Associated Press in Podgorica said the Montenegrin government would not extradite or put Mr Thaksin on the track of justice without valid proof or an international arrest warrant. The ousted premier has acquired a Montenegrin passport and stays occasionally in a seaside villa.

Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic told the news agency Thursday that Montenegro gave Mr Thaksin citizenship partly because of his planned multimillion dollar investments in Montenegro’s tourism. However, the premier said “we have mechanisms to correct our decisions” if need be. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-05-29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Djukanovic said Thaksin had been an elected Thai premier whose government was brought down by a military coup.

Correct me if I am wrong

The coup was to stop a bloody massacre that was about to unfold on the streets of Bangkok

It strikes me that Thaksin was the last pre-coup elected PM and that his government was elected too. If it was out of time under the then constitution then there must be provision under that constitution for a run-off till an election is called and that would legitimise his position.

The fact that this is the first time i have read this point doesn't make it a wrong one. It does seem a bit strange though.

I can't see interpol arresting on this warrant. It is or certainly has the appearances of being politically motivated.

Also i wonder what the potential penalty is for terrorism in Thailand. If it is death then unless they rule that out i don't think Europe would allow extradition on that ground either. Certainly the UK would not allow that.

Whilst people are talking about legitimacy what is happening on Abhisit's strike out by the constitutional court ?

Having looked it up on Wiki this is what they say

"On 8 May 2006, the Constitutional Court ruled 8–6 to invalidate the April elections based on the awkward positioning of voting booths. The ruling was called a landmark case in "judicial activism."[121] The Democrat Party, which had boycotted the April elections, said they were now ready to contest an October election.[122]

A new election was ordered and later set for 15 October. The Court found the Election Commissioners guilty of malfeasance and jailed them. But the election was cancelled when the military seized power on 19 September."

They say that Thaksin was caretaker PM until the October election that was scheduled at this stage for October 15th as says above. Thaksin it also says had indicated that he would not accept the post of PM once the election had taken place.

So according to Wiki you are right and wrong. He was Caretaker PM and had called an election. The position must be constitutionally acceptabel therefore. So he was the proper PM at the time of the coup which occurred approx 1 month before the Election was due.

It's not certain they were all killed in the temple,one rumour says some were killed outside by red shirts and dragged inside to look as if killed by the army in the temple.

The killer of Sae Daeng? Thaksin must have been mightily embarrassed by Sae Daeng's constant boasting of their special relationship. It didn't do Thaksin's posturing as a man of peace any good at all.

Correct me if I am wrong

Having looked it up on Wiki this is what they say

"On 8 May 2006, the Constitutional Court ruled 8–6 to invalidate the April elections based on the awkward positioning of voting booths. The ruling was called a landmark case in "judicial activism."[121] The Democrat Party, which had boycotted the April elections, said they were now ready to contest an October election.[122]

A new election was ordered and later set for 15 October. The Court found the Election Commissioners guilty of malfeasance and jailed them. But the election was cancelled when the military seized power on 19 September."

They say that Thaksin was caretaker PM until the October election that was scheduled at this stage for October 15th as says above. Thaksin it also says had indicated that he would not accept the post of PM once the election had taken place.

So according to Wiki you are right and wrong. He was Caretaker PM and had called an election. The position must be constitutionally acceptabel therefore. So he was the proper PM at the time of the coup which occurred approx 1 month before the Election was due.

Ah, but there are flaws with that.

1) Thaksin has resigned publicly from the position of caretaker PM and then appointed himself back into the position.

2) The courts did NOT make any ruling on whether he was actually still caretaker PM or not. (for either issue) They hadn't ruled on his resignation and they had not ruled on what happens AFTER the mandated timeframe for him being in office as a caretaker had elapsed. The coup made those both moot points. (Something to be discussed in legal terms by students but having no bearing in real life since the situation no longer existed.) Those points never can be ruled on now since the constitution of that time is no longer the constitution of Thailand.

Ah, but there are flaws with that.

1) Thaksin has resigned publicly from the position of caretaker PM and then appointed himself back into the position.

2) The courts did NOT make any ruling on whether he was actually still caretaker PM or not. (for either issue) They hadn't ruled on his resignation and they had not ruled on what happens AFTER the mandated timeframe for him being in office as a caretaker had elapsed. The coup made those both moot points. (Something to be discussed in legal terms by students but having no bearing in real life since the situation no longer existed.) Those points never can be ruled on now since the constitution of that time is no longer the constitution of Thailand.

Do you have a source for this JD? I haven't found anything for this. I'd sure like to have some confirmation other than the pages of ThaiVisa.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I don't really understand Abhisit's suggestion that Thaksin should renounce his Thai nationality or Thaksin's jibe in return that Abhisit should renounce his Thai nationality because he was born in the UK, while Thaksin will keep his because Thailand is the land of his birth.

Why would Thaksin renounce his Thai nationality because he now has another one, especially as it would not cause the terrorist charges against him to be dropped? If the govt believes it can revoke his nationality under the Nationality Act which does have a somewhat ambiguous clause covering Thais who get another nationality by naturalization, it should go ahead and try.

Under the Nationality Act what difference does your birthplace make, if you were born to at least one Thai parent? Is Thaksin casting aspersions on a revered institution using Abhisit as a proxy, as he seems habitually to do with Prem? Does Abhisit actually have British nationality? I am not sure what the situation was prior to 1981 for those born in the UK to two alien parents but today he would not qualify for it. Thaksin's son used to have US nationality by virtue of being born there but has renounced it.

Maybe both Thaksin and Abhisiit should claim their ancestral rights and apply for Chinese nationality and try to go into politics there.

There are far too many people speculating on here without facts to back up their views.

The only true fact is that all of this trouble stems from one thing and one thing only and that is that one person is to blame for the current state of things in Thailand......Sonthi.

If he hadn't of gotten stupid and overthrew an elected and therefore legal and world recognized PM/ government then this would not of happened.He should have collated any proof of irregularities and put them forward during the next election.

I don't agree with a lot of what the reds have done just as I didn't agree with the Yellows disrupting the airport etc but replacing the ruling party should have been done legally and the people of Thailand should have been given the chance to elect their government ,instead of the army instating what I see as a puppet and illegal government.

I have no alliances to any one in Thailand politics just as I don't in the UK in fact the way I see it is "who ever you vote for ,the government wins", but that does not stop me respecting that everyone has the right to vote and that this right should be given in any "free" country.

It is my belief that had Sonthi left things alone that the majority of the troubles over the last few years would not of happened so the fault lies with him and his generals .

Thailand owes a debt of gratitude to the individual who shot Seh Daeng. Everyone seemed to think that Thailand was teetering on the edge of civil war, if there was one person who could have pushed it off the edge it might have been Seh Daeng. Without him the hard line militants lost their leader and it may have saved the lives of countless soldiers. As we saw they were unable to mount a successful counter attack without Seh Daeng. He was hardly a military genius, I'm sure he knew those barricades wouldn't last, but he convinced his people that they'd do the trick. With Seh Daeng at the helm there is no telling what sort of tactics might have been employed, maybe shoot the children and blame Abhisit. I know people weep for him and say he should have got a fair trial instead of a bullet, but there are some who got a M79 grenade launched at them who weren't traitors to their country so if there is no justice for them, why should he have any?

There are far too many people speculating on here without facts to back up their views.

The only true fact is that all of this trouble stems from one thing and one thing only and that is that one person is to blame for the current state of things in Thailand......Sonthi.

If he hadn't of gotten stupid and overthrew an elected and therefore legal and world recognized PM/ government then this would not of happened.He should have collated any proof of irregularities and put them forward during the next election.

I don't agree with a lot of what the reds have done just as I didn't agree with the Yellows disrupting the airport etc but replacing the ruling party should have been done legally and the people of Thailand should have been given the chance to elect their government ,instead of the army instating what I see as a puppet and illegal government.

I have no alliances to any one in Thailand politics just as I don't in the UK in fact the way I see it is "who ever you vote for ,the government wins", but that does not stop me respecting that everyone has the right to vote and that this right should be given in any "free" country.

It is my belief that had Sonthi left things alone that the majority of the troubles over the last few years would not of happened so the fault lies with him and his generals .

Sounds like a lot of baseless speculation. Wow can't seem to find a fact anywhere in that post.

Thaksin is afraid of jail - he's a coward, and all cowards are weak in the face of real adversity. Look at the Red leaders (With the exception of Nattawut and Jatuporn - the only 2 who didn't run away)

Obviously, this website became a place for coloured (yellow or red) and frustrated, sometimes uncivilized, people.

Well, to ask you something STT:

I am not sure is Mr. Thaksin a coward or not but one thing is for sure and that is: you are really blind folded man.

Your hatred is infinitely boring.

Are you obsessed, some reason, by Mr. Thaksin that you can not spend just ONE single day to don't spit at that man?

Why don't you pet an animal man, instead?

Obviously you have too much of free time.

Above all, you are very incompetent, talking bad from your point of view which told me that you can not get rid of personal feelings about Thaksin.

I am sorry to say this but you are really frustrated by something that man do to you, right?

I just wonder: do you like so much Mr. Abhisit or you hate so much Mr.Thaksin, so you are writing like this every single day?

No hard feelings but i think you are obsessed.

Incredible person you are.

Just a few days ago, i said here that if Mr. Thaksin get the passport of Montenegro, no ANY Thai would be able even to scratch him.

It was predictable as i knew Thailand and Montenegro don't have any established level in diplomacy.

So, Mr. Abhisit is hidding the truth.

He said will be"harder" to get Mr. Thaksin in case he got Montenegro passport.

That is not truth!

Will be IMPOSSIBLE to do it, that is what Mr. Abhisit knew so should say that or to don't say anything.

However, he should not give this kind of"challenge" as he knew for "obstacle" in diplomacy between Montenegro and Thailand..

(Or it was given just because the fact that he knew will be impossible to get Mr. Thaksin from now on?)

Thaksin is afraid of jail - he's a coward, and all cowards are weak in the face of real adversity. Look at the Red leaders (With the exception of Nattawut and Jatuporn - the only 2 who didn't run away)

I find it puzzling that the Thai gov. let Thaksin leave the country before initiating their coup. The ideal thing would be to wait until he returns then arrest him.

clearly demonstrate our political determination and capability to meet all the commitments

arising from our membership of INTERPOL and to give our contribution to the fight

against transnational crime, terrorism and other security challenges and threats

Address by Mr Milo Djukanovic, Prime Minister of Montenegro

26 May 2010, Budva, Montenegro

The Prime Minister on one hand promises to fight terrorism and on the other refuses to turn over Thaksin. Looks like double standards are the norm in Montenegro. I wonder how much it costs to bribe the PM there? Was it higher than Thaksin's usual rate?

You missunderstood those words.

There is no any request from Interpol, don't you know that?

I find it puzzling that the Thai gov. let Thaksin leave the country before initiating their coup. The ideal thing would be to wait until he returns then arrest him.

Would be fair, right?

But, in that time was so dangerous to do it while he is in country, so they were waiting as he was stronger then they are and more influent in Police and in the Army in that time then puchists were so they desperadelly needed he is not in the country so they can do as planed.