What Type Of Building Is This And Can Foreigners Own Them?

I have no idea what you call this type of structure so please bare with me..

Many Thais own this type of building and have their business downstairs and there are usually 2 or 3 floors above where they live or perhaps rent out. But this building is not separate from the buildings next to it, it's like one huge building that will take up an entire block. Separated into many of these sections and different people own each one of the sections. (I hope that makes sense!)

Now my questions about this building:

What is this type of building called?

Do you own land with this type of building? (Perhaps this varies but it appears that if you buy one of these sections of the building, you have other people on each side of you, and it's kind of like owning a room in a condo building, not like owning a house with land.)

If you basically just own part of this building (no land)... can't foreigners buy one of these?

I'm currently looking around for a condo, but I had to ask about this type of building because it seems more practical.. but is it possible to own?

Thanks for reading.

The building is called a "Shophouse".

As far as foreigners owning them, I really doubt it. They are sold like a house, and I also remember hearing / reading somewhere that foreign citizens can not own a ground floor condo in a condo building.

Maybe someone more savvy can clarify this.

The building is called a "Shophouse".

As far as foreigners owning them, I really doubt it. They are sold like a house, and I also remember hearing / reading somewhere that foreign citizens can not own a ground floor condo in a condo building.

You are right. Shophouses are sold with the land underneath them included in the Chanote. Possession of these properties for foreigners is constrained in the same manner as a single house or a townhouse.

I have read posts on here before as you have about restricting foreigners from owning ground floor condos. I don't see why there would be such a restriction since ground floor condos do not own all of the land underneath them. The land under the entire condo complex is divided amoung all of the condos based upon the percentage of area owned by each unit. Thus even though the penthouse is not touching any land directly, those units will own a greater percentage of the land.

See a post in the not too distant past by pkrv where he describes the land ownership distribution in his condominium complex.

"I don't see why there would be such a restriction since ground floor condos do not own all of the land underneath them."

That's correct - there is no restriction regarding farang ownership of a ground floor condo.

QUOTE (bino @ 2010-05-28 22:06:03) The building is called a "Shophouse".

You are right. Shophouses are sold with the land underneath them included in the Chanote. Possession of these properties for foreigners is constrained in the same manner as a single house or a townhouse.

I have read posts on here before as you have about restricting foreigners from owning ground floor condos. I don't see why there would be such a restriction since ground floor condos do not own all of the land underneath them. The land under the entire condo complex is divided amoung all of the condos based upon the percentage of area owned by each unit. Thus even though the penthouse is not touching any land directly, those units will own a greater percentage of the land.

See a post in the not too distant past by pkrv where he describes the land ownership distribution in his condominium complex.

Hi donx - I note you have called me out this time

Yes all that should be required is to read through the condominium act on the pinned thread.

BTW if you chose an AVATAR it is easier to identify, and identify with you - your are definitely looking for your options - PKRV

The Condominium Act And Definition Of A Condominium In Thailand - Thailand Forum

• 4 months later...

I live in a town house.

Same same as shop house minus the shop.

Edit: wife owns it.

So I am correct in calling these adjoined houses as townhouses....the units minus the shop at ground level?? And the law is that a foreigner can NOT own one??

I was looking at buying the empty townhouse next to my Thai wife's existing one and doing some sort of combining of the two. But I though as a security hedge I would title this second unit in my name. Is this at all possible?

If its residential landed property then the chances are you can't own it, unless its for the manager's residence of a BOI promoted company, or if you have invested 40m Baht in Govt Bonds for five years and have approval of the Minister of the Interior.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi donx - I note you have called me out this time

Yes all that should be required is to read through the condominium act on the pinned thread.

BTW if you chose an AVATAR it is easier to identify, and identify with you - your are definitely looking for your options - PKRV

The Condominium Act And Definition Of A Condominium In Thailand - Thailand Forum

pkrv - I have added an AVATAR so it will be easier to identify me in the future.

I live in a town house.

So I am correct in calling these adjoined houses as townhouses....the units minus the shop at ground level?? And the law is that a foreigner can NOT own one??

I was looking at buying the empty townhouse next to my Thai wife's existing one and doing some sort of combining of the two. But I though as a security hedge I would title this second unit in my name. Is this at all possible?

No, it remains a shop house regardless, even if you don't actually have a shop on the ground floor. It's a designation of the structures intended use. Townhouses are houses without any commercial aspirations implied or allowed.

You as a foreigner cannot own either a shophouse (or a townhouse if you insist).

As a "security hedge", I would explore a usufruct after your wife purchases the adjoining vacant unit in her name. Now whether that allows or implies remodeling of the two units into one is for another thread of conjecture.

I live in a town house.

No, it remains a shop house regardless, even if you don't actually have a shop on the ground floor. It's a designation of the structures intended use. Townhouses are houses without any commercial aspirations implied or allowed.

You as a foreigner cannot own either a shophouse (or a townhouse if you insist).

As a "security hedge", I would explore a usufruct after your wife purchases the adjoining vacant unit in her name. Now whether that allows or implies remodeling of the two units into one is for another thread of conjecture.

So I can not even own the townhouse itself, even while not owning the land it is built on??

Of course you would ask the question what would that be worth anyway...you have no control over the situation without the landowner's permission to resell/ or whatever.

The more I look at this situation the less I want to participate. I think I'll look more serious at my idea for a 'floating house' ...and even more so with all that flooding going on.