webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:D

The curfew itself didn't affect me...mainly because I live in Greece. Did affect my Thai family somewhat, because they had to be back in the house early during curfew.

The demonstartions and such also affected my family. They lost a few working days because of the disturbances and the traffic jams around Bangkok. Also a lot of Thais that just didn't go out to buy stuff (the daughter has a market stall selling hair products and costume jewelry...few customers came to buy). Most of the trouble was not in my family's neighborhood, but the traffic jams and bus disruptions affected everyone to some degree.

Other than that...only minimal disruption to normal life.

My family lives out by Don Muang...so they were relatively far away from the disturbances.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Had no idea there was a curfew as I was in Burma when it was first anounced. First I heard of it was when a Chiangmai restaurant owner told me that she closed at 10.00pm due to a state imposed curfew. I was curious and hung round till well after 10.00pm seeing the restaurant still full. On the way home saw the streets a hive of activity, bar girls smiling, hords of farang walking the streets drinking long necks, when a police patrol came past they didn't even bat an eyelid. As far as I experienced the curfew was a small inconvenience, cutting a few nights shorter then they could have been, saving a few brain cells, and a bit of cash was not a bad thing for me with hindsight.

I was looking forward to going out last night, and not having to worry about the curfew.

Yesterday, several thai people, including family members began telling my wife and I that the curfew was not over, and it was going to last another four months. This information was coming from several different sources, including family members.

I just kept telling them they were wrong, and they should check again.

Went to a resturant in Rangsit last night with friends. It was empty. The owner was complaining about how the curfew had affected his business, and then told us we had to leave soon because of the curfew.

What's going on?

I think the Thai's are getting their 'State of Emergencies' and 'Curfew's' muddled up!

Edited by jaiyenyen

Did the curfew had any major impact on your daily life?

NO POLITICS IN THIS TOPIC

we are discussing the curfew impact on your life, not the politics behind it!

Thank you

Not really - family people are usually at home. It affected my transits from Shanghai to BKK as flights got in 9:00pm but from Swampy to Meng Jai - was never stopped (10:30pm) so overall I think it was mainly not expressways and more the 'burbs' to control what was possible rather than what did not happen.

Of course not because I never go out of my house.

Do u have any other stupid questions?

Hey 'jaroulz' I would love to know why you never go out of your house. My apologies if you are incapacitated. Otherwise forget about 'stupid questions' and contemplate stupid replies by someone who really needs to get himself a life!!!

There was no curfew in Chiang Mai as such - more a Turfew - a Thai curfew - which went "we'd really like you to say at home for a few nights so we can pretend we're back in power and we've won, but if you want to go out, don't worry, we won't bother you!!" We pulled the shutters down around 11pm - to show willing, but then carried on until normal closing time. We told our staff to phone when they got home to make sure they were safe and they were fine. We did quite well curfew week - as Whinnie the Kwai says above, there's no better way of getting epople drinking than telling them they shouldn't be doing so!! ....since then though, things have been terrible...because all the tourists have left. Most tourists don't do war zones!

Got tied up on the computer one night ran out of ciggies and forgot there was a curfew on.........Made my way downstairs ater midnight to go to 7Eleven.....felt like an idiot when the security guard asked me where I was going.

Time I was out police were round making sure everyone knew about the curfew. Absolute teaming down at 11pm and the police were A1.....they just asked how far we had to go and told us not to worry about being a little bit late.

Probably people in Europe, the USA etc were more concerned about it that those of us who live here.

Curfew did not affect me or the family at all

went out on my motorcycle at 2 or 3 am the last couple nights of curfew. 160+ kph and not another car in sight.