Old School Safety Razors

sunny747

Hello,

For the last few months, i'm having severe white pimples or shaving bumps after shaving. . I tried all the possible ways to get rid of it but no luck. Finally, a friend suggested me to try out old school safety razors like my grandfather used to use. Like the one in the following picture.

But the problem is, i have never seen those in Bangkok. Even they have so limited choice on "after shave" lotion. Does anybody has any idea where i can i purchase safety razors, blades, shaving brush in Bangkok? i don't want to spend a lot of money in it..just wanna try first...

thanks

safety.jpg

The best place to buy blades is at a beauty supply house. You can buy a box of 100 quite cheaply.

I've seen shaving brushes in Foodland. Best Supermarket in Pattaya has them. But we're talking very low end, a joke compared to real badger brush. If you just want to try DE shaving, you can use gel/cream and do without a brush for a while.

It's hard to find traditional shaving soaps and creams. Best has Old Spice cream for B150 a tube. The larger Body Shops offer tubs of their really wonderful cream, but it's a bit expensive. Crabtree & Evelyn in Emporium has some high quality soap/cream, also expensive, but good.

Best and I think Friendship in Pattaya have cheap plastic Gillette Clik DE razors, very mild shavers. Some Boots have Wilkinson razors, not bad, and the best you'll find in Thailand I guess. Otherwise, local markets occasionally sell very low-end DE razors usually made in China. The markets also sell DE blades.

Congrats on your decision to start shaving like a Real Man . I'll never go back to that plastic, cartoonish, vastly overpriced Fusion nonsense. You can get a lot of great advice on the badgerandblade forum (google).

Edited by JSixpack

those razors are available in Big C and Tesco. less that 40 bhat I am sure. maybe even 20. comes with 2 blades and plastic handle. There are good. use em up and throw away is not good for the environment but your will have a face like a babies bum!

thanks guys. i'll check it out. i didn't know that they are called "double-edged razor blades".

i have been using Gillette Mach 3 but i heard three blade things not good for ur skin. i have read some article where it shows how bad it could be for your facial skin. and seriously, i'm having problem.

what i meant by really expensive is something above 3000 baht..i don't mind spending a thousand for razor as i have already spent hel_l lot of money checking out lotions for the shaving bumps.

stainless steel machine is my choice.

"Old spice" , heard a lot of good things about this brand. never used it. Heard how girls used to love guys with "old spice".....not sure Thai chicks would love it....:) ......

for sure, i have never seen this brand in Boots or Watson......or i could be wrong.......

thanks so much guys..lots of information here...:D

The best double edged razorblade available in Thailand is the "Feather" brand from Japan. You can buy at shops inside most local markets.

They last way longer than a Gillette or the housebrand ones of Booths.

You can get them for 7 baht to 10 bath per pack if you are lucky... ;-)

Old Spice Classic shower gel is sold using the slogan "The original. If your grandfather hadn't worn it, you wouldn't exist."

I can remember my grandfather stropping a Rolls razor, but he never used anything sexier than coal tar soap.

walked the entire central rama 3 today...couldn't find the razor......checked out boots and watson...no luck....

they have a cheap one at boots..but that's what not i'm looking for...

Yep. No great quality DE razors sold in Thailand. Gillette's got this market sewn up with its current products.

Better consider importing. You can get a good deal on ebay on a used razor, or buy a new Merkur. The badgerandblade forum has a classifieds subforum.

Gillette razor cartridges are expensive, i found some carrefour ones that fit my Gillette razor for a quarter of the price, last as long as well

OP, might be yr shaving technique

link

Edited by Donnyboy

Are you sure it's not your soap/shaving cream?

You might try washing with Asepso after shaving; let the suds sit for a minute before rinsing.

One thing I miss is Edge shaving gel, cannot find in SEA.

Careful with cheap razor blades, they rust easily, and if you get nicked you definitely do not want that stuff getting in there.

On the forum I mentioned earlier, there's a lot of advice about razor bump problems. A DE razor seems definitely to help.

However, until you try the razor, you might try a tip I got from another forum. Before shaving, rub some Nivea cream on your face (thick white cream like grannie used to use, but available at most cosmetic sections of discount stores in Thailand like Tesco Lotus or even supermarkets like Tops. It's very protective, helps avoid razor burn too. Let it soak in a few minutes, then shave. Looks like this:

post-14882-1275451527.jpg

shaving gel and foam is a money spinner, water softens the bristles just as well.

I am blighted with blue beard, even after shaving, a close shave. in fact if I shave then strain slightly too hard on the toilet I need to shave again haha.

I use mach 3 turbo, the only thing that gets close for me out here, and I don't get many shaves from them either before I have to bin them.

I have used a cut throat in the past, I found it good actually, but just a hindrance with the sharpening, I am sure you could buy one out here and a strop to give it a go.

On the forum I mentioned earlier, there's a lot of advice about razor bump problems. A DE razor seems definitely to help.

However, until you try the razor, you might try a tip I got from another forum. Before shaving, rub some Nivea cream on your face (thick white cream like grannie used to use, but available at most cosmetic sections of discount stores in Thailand like Tesco Lotus or even supermarkets like Tops. It's very protective, helps avoid razor burn too. Let it soak in a few minutes, then shave. Looks like this:

you mean using Nivea as shaving gel? i have it at home and would love to try..thanks..

you mean using Nivea as shaving gel? i have it at home and would love to try..thanks..

Actually you use it as a kind of pre-shave balm. After it settles in over the course of a few minutes--it's really thick--then you apply your usual shaving cream over it and shave. Experiment and you'll get the timing & amount right.

I did this for a while until I perfected my DE shaving technique and it worked a treat. At the end, after you wash off your shaving cream, some Nivea remains and leaves your face feeling smooth and conditioned, too, like an aftershave balm. (Feels kinda funny discussing this here on TV, but it's the norm on the wetshaving forums, where shaving is a manly art and ritual.)