2 Passports For An America

Hi, an American friend of mine travels a LOT for work and wants to get 2 passports.

Does anyone here have experience in asking for a second passport from the U.S. embassy in Bangkok - is it possible? / What docs required / etc?

I know that UK citizens can do it if they have a good reason, I'd like to know if its the same with Americans.

Thanks very much,

AmCits can do it too. As with the Brits, tho, have to show a "need" for two, such as frequent travels requiring visas for one country when you're traveling to another one, travel to Israel & Saudi Arabia, for example, not possible on one passport. Probably other reasons, too, just go and ask.

Mac

AmCits can do it too. As with the Brits, tho, have to show a "need" for two, such as frequent travels requiring visas for one country when you're traveling to another one, travel to Israel & Saudi Arabia, for example, not possible on one passport. Probably other reasons, too, just go and ask.

Mac

I have traveled to both Israel and Saudi Arabia on the same passport so you can throw out that reason.

Frequent usage or frequent travel is not a reason for a second passport. The only reason I've heard of the government doing it is if you're traveling as a US government diplomat or US government employee, or a member of the armed services - you're then issued as official US government passport as opposed to a civilian US passport. I remember it as otherwise being illegal to hold 2 US passports.

It is not illegal to hold two US passports. Diplomats hold diplomatic passports. Other government officials may hold Official passports and both can hold regular passports at the same time.

Press and business travelers often hold more than one regular passport so they can obtain visas for travel in a timely manner.

I know a few folks that have two - but they are of different types. For example one regular (blue), and one offical (maroon), or one diplomatic (black).

It does seem that one can have two of the same type - but only with approval from the Department of State.

Basics regs on Passports:

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title22/22-1.0.1.6.33.html

Related to two passports:

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title22/22-1....6.33.1.3.1.html

§ 51.2 Passport issued to nationals only.

(a) A United States passport shall be issued only to a national of the United States (22 U.S.C. 212).

(:) Unless authorized by the Department no person shall bear more than one valid or potentially valid U.S. passport at any one time.

At the company I work for we have a number of folks that travel internationally quite regularly, and much of our UK based staff do indeed have two passports. But I'm not aware of any of our guys being granted permission to have a second US passport based upon business travel and the associated need to obtian visas.

I would be very interested to hear some specific feedback in regards to how to apply for permission to obtain a second regular US passport.

I did just come across this from the US Embassy - Switzerland web-page:

http://bern.usembassy.gov/second_passport.html

Current regulations reflect the long-standing policy of the Department of State that no person should be in possession of more than one valid, or potentially valid, U.S. passport at any time unless specifically authorized by the Department of State.

The issuance of a second valid passport should be considered an exception to the regulations, and is to be approved on an individual basis only where justified. The second valid passport may not be limited geographically, i.e., for travel in only a few countries. It will be limited in time, valid for a period of two years. Thereafter, a new passport must be applied for; second valid passports are no longer extendable.

To apply for a second valid passport, the applicant will need to submit the following documents in person:

•Completed passport application form DS-82

•Bearer's currently valid U.S. passport

•A written request from applicant's company or organization explaining why a second valid passport is needed

•A signed statement from the bearer attesting that the second valid passport will be surrendered to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate when the need for it has ended

•Two Photographs. Passport photograph requirements are strictly enforced.

•Passport fee: $75.00 or CHF 90.00. The fee can be paid in cash in either currency. No personal checks are accepted. At the Embassy in Bern, traveler's checks in US dollars and major credit cards are accepted with a valid passport for identification.