Thai PM Abhisit Under Fire Over Deadly Crackdown

webfact

It's true they had won... but didn't know it - stupidly they lost that 'window' and were made to suffer as a result - they had forced, and won, the elections this year but argued amongst themselves and foolishly lost the gains but as a good Thai friend told me 'there are millions of 'quiet' reds who don't say anything but support the struggle' when the election is held let's see? There are many things to say but I shall get booted again - so I shall keep my own counsel and wait and see - what we can discuss is only half the story anyhow.

A good Thai friend told me 'there are millions' of 'quiet' Red haters who don't say anything but hate the Reds. When the election is held, let's see. It's always easy to quote 'friends' and other unknown people to give unsubstantiated arguments and get the last word in, isn't it?

Don't quote us nameless sources nor pretend to know more then us and blame the mods for not allowing you to post anything. You just make yourself look like one of those smart alecky people who pretends to know more then the nothing he does.

'nameless sources'? I just said 'a Thai friend' I claim nothing - just that this person said that - I shall make no comment about mods thanks or I'll be banned - which is probably what you would like - to stifle all comment and debate

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't quote us nameless sources nor pretend to know more then us and blame the mods for not allowing you to post anything. You just make yourself look like one of those smart alecky people who pretends to know more then the nothing he does.

I agree with you, but unfortunately pretenders and wannabe experts a quite common here in the threads about thai politics. not the smartest people.

sometimes they can cause :facepalm: or even :facedesk: but most of the time its fun. they are easy to detect and even easier to expose and to debunk.

Anyway WELCOME to the board, lets have a quality time, share our knowledge and an interesting debate.

You insult the intelligence of the other posters on the board, then in the next paragraph use expressions such as ":facepalm: or even :facedesk:" ...?

Sort it out, Disorder.

I agree with you, but unfortunately pretenders and wannabe experts a quite common here in the threads about thai politics. not the smartest people.

sometimes they can cause :facepalm: or even :facedesk: but most of the time its fun. they are easy to detect and even easier to expose and to debunk.

Anyway WELCOME to the board, lets have a quality time, share our knowledge and an interesting debate.

so amusing - translation = anyone who doesn't agree with you is 'easy to expose' and 'debunk' what a way to debate!!!

Those who don't agtree with you are 'pretenders' and 'wannabe experts' and of course - YOU are not! you are clever, smart and always right - now I get it - jeeze... open your mind just a little, let down the arrogance just a touch - argue your case and please STOP attacking other members views? then we can debate the issues not your opinion of other members? good idea huh?

EDIT: nearly forgot 'I'm not the smartest people' you are of course - very smart! :)

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

:facefacemeow:

Some progress with the cat? No more claims that others are less educated, just less intelligent.

But it is fun, and we should not forget that. jap.gif

Edited by rabo

I want to see the best of Abhisit, and I believe he's capable of a lot. But before the latest round of unrest he was spending way too much time doing PR work covering up the wrongdoings of others and being sent on photo ops, whilst others who I don't want to see wielding power at all were getting on with day-to-day business. On the odd occasion that he spoke out for the good, such as over the fake bomb detector, he was slapped down. And, in my opinion, that particular issue contributed to the botched management of the recent protests.

It will be more than interesting to see how Abhisit's premiership unfolds post-protests. I think he's more compromised than ever. But I may be wrong and hope I am.

The Minister who is in charge to prove the GT200 is already sacked. She already loss her office.

Coincident?

You insult the intelligence of the other posters on the board, then in the next paragraph use expressions such as ":facepalm: or even :facedesk:" ...?

Sort it out, Disorder.

what is wrong with that expressions? actually it is kinda like a smiley, an emotiocon.

many member using them at the board.

it is just the :textversion:

:annoyed: becomes annoyed.gif

:crazy: becomescrazy.gif

:wacko: becomes wacko.gif

:jerk: becomes jerk.gif

a :MyMaidToldME: emoticon would be funny too.

enjoy, have quality time, learn something.

The 'marginalize disenting thought' posters are out in force,

since that is the ONLY argument they have against those who

disagree and yet are coherent in their statements.

There is no working argument that the Red Leaders have got it right,

that leaves slag away at Abhisit and those that don't believe the

red façade of lies to their own people. Sad but predictable.

TIme to put out more Meow Mix. whistling.gif

Edited by animatic

Sort it out, Disorder.

what is wrong with that expressions? actually it is kinda like a smiley, an emotiocon.

:) becomes annoyed.gif

:D becomescrazy.gif

:D becomes wacko.gif

:D becomes jerk.gif

Thanks for the info. Now :collect500baht:

Sort it out, Disorder.

:) becomes annoyed.gif

:D becomescrazy.gif

:D becomes wacko.gif

:D becomes jerk.gif

it's a bit early to be on the Chang? I respectfully suggest you take the advice in your last line seriously - particularly the last two words

:facefacemeow:

Some progress with the cat? No more claims that others are less educated, just less intelligent.

But it is fun, and we should not forget that. jap.gif

do you think there are only members with a Ph.D. in political science, university professor ,nuclear physicists, brain surgeons, Pulitzer prize winners, top insiders, high level diplomats, executive manager and so on who participate the discussion here?

Have you never witnessed that the board is also frequented by some lesser smart, not so bright expats?

btw. emoticons in :text: and IMG version.

and :jap: becomes jap.gif

Jap (jāp)

n. Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jap

It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to KNOW which side of this argument created the high level of violence,

and by their words and actions made it impossible NOT to have days of violence in downtown Bangkok.

No amount of fevered argument can paint Abhisit as anything but unusually tollerant for a extremely long time.

Multiple offers of new elections andwillingness to speak with rabble rousing demogues in public forum in an

attempt to calm the situation and diffuse the disruptions. But each time he wasd agreeable,

the Reds changed their demands.

Control of the budget and the army list was paramount to Thaksin's plans to control the country.

If not getting that control, then punishment and manufactoring of reasons to potentially embarrass the government

into an early departure, and fragment the coalition into ineffectiveness, and hopefully cause the Democrats to

completely dissapear, thus removing the ONLY large and coherent political opponent to Thaksins total control.

Oh, and side line Newin completely if possible.

Democracy is only a catch phrase and motivating tool to con the simple masses into follow the leaders,

sadly they are pawns in a plan they are brain washed to not even SUSPECT.

Edited by animatic

The bullet was of the type used by the Army - no one is seriously suggesting the reds shot into the temple are they? that would be incredulous in the extreme and in very, very bad taste and I don't believe even the most hardened yellows on here would claim that.

Red shirts "fired temple shots"

By The Nation

Published on June 9, 2010

A key eyewitness has claimed that the shots that killed six people at Pathum Wanaram Temple during the red-shirt protest last month came from red-shirt guards, not soldiers, a Department of Special Investigation source said yesterday.

The unnamed witness saw two men gunned down from an unknown direction, and Katekamon Arhard, a nurse volunteer, was hit when she was trying to drag the two men into a tent for first aid, the source said.

Some guards, most armed with pistols and some with war weapons, openly told demonstrators that "it's dangerous outside, and anyone who leaves will die" in the evening of May 19 after the red-shirt leaders turned themselves in to authorities.

"Then there was a salvo of about 10-15 shots, likely from the red-shirt guards," said the witness, who will soon come under DSI protection.

The witness, frightened and distressed, hid in a monk's quarters until dawn. The witness' account appears to confirm autopsy reports that showed that all six victims were shot horizontally, not from an inclined angle from soldiers stationed on Skytrain tracks or skywalks, the source added.

It's a tough one.

If a group had taken and terrorized Times Square in New York, the US National Guard would have opened fire after about the second day, not the 60th, but then in "free" America, protesters wouldn't have been able to pull off what the Reds did in BKK. They would have been shot before the barricades ever got up.

What would USA have done if protestors occupied the house of representatives for 8 months?

That is what the yellow shirts did (before going to the airports)- with the Thailand govt. house. The press here was outraged that two yellowshirt protestors died when police tried to move them out- but the same press hail Abhisit as a conquering hero .

So why do those dumb bunnies from issan complain about double standards. After all Kasit promiya - the pad yellowshirts spokesman - is now the Finance minister and he explained that the yellowshirts protest was good -why don't those uneducated redshirts understand.

It doesn't take a degree in rocket science to KNOW which side of this argument created the high level of violence,

and by their words and actions made it impossible NOT to have days of violence in downtown Bangkok.

No amount of fevered argument can paint Abhisit as anything but unusually tollerant for a extremely long time.

Multiple offers of new elections andwillingness to speak with rabble rousing demogues in public forum in an

attempt to calm the situation and diffuse the disruptions. But each time he wasd agreeable,

the Reds changed their demands.

Control of the budget and the army list was paramount to Thaksin's plans to control the country.

If not getting that control, then punishment and manufactoring of reasons to potentially embarrass the government

into an early departure, and fragment the coalition into ineffectiveness, and hopefully cause the Democrats to

completely dissapear, thus removing the ONLY large and coherent political opponent to Thaksins total control.

Oh, and side line Newin completely if possible.

Democracy is only a catch phrase and motivating tool to con the simple masses into follow the leaders,

sadly they are pawns in a plan they are brain washed to not even SUSPECT.

Absolutely spot on. If only more posters would take this balanced view then I wouldn't have to spend hours....etc

hold elections

They tried that twice your Red team said NO twice.

'your red team'? Does anyone who says: 'ELECTION' belongs to the red team?

smells like "yellow logic" aka Blah blah & BS.

And the Abhisit government never tried to hold elections. not twice, not once. the opposite is true, Abhisit tries everything to avoid elections.

This government has a small support of around 25% of the people.(and half of the 25% would probably vote for New Politics Party in a coming election)

They were offered the November elections, remember? Reds said yes then the chief from Montenegro called and Reds rebuffed the offer? Why is it Red sympathizers just always seem to ignore that fine point?

Poor reasoning abounds on this board. The elections were offered with a SET DATE ... All it would have taken was for the reds to get on board. What we do know is that they didn't get on board. They chose the path of violence because it didn't suit Thaksin's timetable. The numbers Maz states are rubbish. Currently the government has the support of more than 50% of the MP's. The last election showed the Dems to have a few thousand more votes for the party than the PPP did. That is BEFORE the defection of the Friends of Newin faction. That is BEFORE the reds burnt BKK. That is BEFORE the reds came to BKK armed. That is BEFORE the government started making policies that actually provide long-term sustainable welfare programs and programs to benefit rural farmers etc.

The reds would have had a valid complaint had they returned home and elections not taken place on Nov 14th. They have no right to complain after their refusal to participate in the roadmap and the subsequent violence.

post-4271-043500700 1276067715_thumb.jpg

It's a tough one.

If a group had taken and terrorized Times Square in New York, the US National Guard would have opened fire after about the second day, not the 60th, but then in "free" America, protesters wouldn't have been able to pull off what the Reds did in BKK. They would have been shot before the barricades ever got up.

What would USA have done if protestors occupied the house of representatives for 8 months?

That is what the yellow shirts did (before going to the airports)- with the Thailand govt. house. The press here was outraged that two yellowshirt protestors died when police tried to move them out- but the same press hail Abhisit as a conquering hero .

So why do those dumb bunnies from issan complain about double standards. After all Kasit promiya - the pad yellowshirts spokesman - is now the Finance minister and he explained that the yellowshirts protest was good -why don't those uneducated redshirts understand.

:) Well Claus --- you are comparing apples to oranges again. The reds could have stayed at one place (PanFah Bridge is close to government house) and protested for a long long time. Sadly for the reds, the current government was not going to let them take over Government house if that was their plan. The current government would not have let them take over the airport either. Double standards? No. Different governments? Yes.

Your representation of Kasit is flawed as well. He was never "the pad yellowshirt spokesperson", he was in fact, not that involved in the PAD. He certainly did speak at the and about the airport rally.

The differences between Oct 7th (When the police -- not the army --- used outdated chinese military teargas that was laced with RDX and SURROUNDED a protest cutting off all retreat, and then fired directly into the crowd instead of using parabollic shots ((arcing shots into the air!)) ---- and April/May 2010 --- after Songkran 2009 --- after bloody violent speeches from th red stages -- after it was known that the Reds had military ordinance AND was willing to use it --- after the threats by Arisaman and others BEFORE coming to BKK that they would burn BKK down ----) well if you can't see the differences then I don't think you ever will .....

It's a tough one.

Loose translation: It was OK for the reds to undertake their 'lets burn Bangkok down' activities. Not terrorism, just an 'its our turn' carnival.

Try to sell the double standards mantra to the thousands of Bangkok workers who lost their jobs as a result of the Thaksin paid thuggery.

Reactionary through and through.

Every time I read a contribution like this, it is pleasing to be reminded that the red forces were defeated on the ground.

Just the red cheerleader Duracell bunnies still banging away on their drums.

It's a tough one.

:) Well Claus --- you are comparing apples to oranges again. The reds could have stayed at one place (PanFah Bridge is close to government house) and protested for a long long time. Sadly for the reds, the current government was not going to let them take over Government house if that was their plan. The current government would not have let them take over the airport either. Double standards? No. Different governments? Yes.

Your representation of Kasit is flawed as well. He was never "the pad yellowshirt spokesperson", he was in fact, not that involved in the PAD.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JL16Ae01.html

Democrat MP Somkiat Pongpaiboon was one of the PAD's co-leaders, while the protest movement's de facto spokesman, Kasit Piromya

----------

Among those summonsed is Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya, who led the protests at Suvarnabhumi

They were offered the November elections, remember? Reds said yes then the chief from Montenegro called and Reds rebuffed the offer? Why is it Red sympathizers just always seem to ignore that fine point?

Poor reasoning abounds on this board. The elections were offered with a SET DATE ... All it would have taken was for the reds to get on board. What we do know is that they didn't get on board. They chose the path of violence because it didn't suit Thaksin's timetable. The numbers Maz states are rubbish. Currently the government has the support of more than 50% of the MP's. The last election showed the Dems to have a few thousand more votes for the party than the PPP did. That is BEFORE the defection of the Friends of Newin faction. That is BEFORE the reds burnt BKK. That is BEFORE the reds came to BKK armed. That is BEFORE the government started making policies that actually provide long-term sustainable welfare programs and programs to benefit rural farmers etc.

The reds would have had a valid complaint had they returned home and elections not taken place on Nov 14th. They have no right to complain after their refusal to participate in the roadmap and the subsequent violence.

For once I would actually have to have sympathy for this view from my nemisis. I was frustrated and incredulous that they did not halt the protest at this 'window' and raise their flags and march out victorious - a very foolish misjudgement (which i said at the time) - and before you all shout 'Thaksin'! he is a sideshow in the greater cultural roll-out that is happening - I don't care 'who' decided - it was a HUGE mistake which they paid dearly for. I was aghast at the stupidity of it - they had it in the grasp of their little red hands - and the blew it away...

EDIT: I see the software upgarde has NOT addressed this crazy 'you have quoted more than the allowed number of text blocks' I was hoping it would automatically delete the earlier ones - mai pen rai

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

In fact as was pointed out widely, especially in thai langauge media, Abhisit put many 'conditions' on the election date. The first one as that no criticism of the monachy be done by any redshirts. This was two days after he announced that all the redshirt leaders plus 3 past Primeministers (thasin, chavalit and Somchai) were in a conspiracy to overthrow the monarchy.

He had no intenion to stick to the date.

In fact as was pointed out widely, especially in thai langauge media, Abhisit put many 'conditions' on the election date. The first one as that no criticism of the monachy be done by any redshirts. This was two days after he announced that all the redshirt leaders plus 3 past Primeministers (thasin, chavalit and Somchai) were in a conspiracy to overthrow the monarchy.

You are misquoting me - I didn't say that - probably a mistake in cut and pasting? sounds like one of our yellow fellows to me:P

You are misquoting me - I didn't say that - probably a mistake in cut and pasting? sounds like one of our yellow fellows to me:P

sorry, i took it from your post above.

sorry, i took it from your post above.

no worries - I wish they would sort out that 'blocks of text' bug

In fact as was pointed out widely, especially in thai langauge media, Abhisit put many 'conditions' on the election date.

Of course there were conditions. Abhisit had compromised massively as it was by cutting short his term from over 18 months to 6. Would it have been so hard for the reds to follow a few basic guidelines? Had they done so, Abhisit could not have retracted the election date without completely losing face and hurting his election chances. For that reason, i think the November date would have been stuck to.

P.S. It wasn't only the thai language media that mentioned these conditions. What made you think that?

For once I would actually have to have sympathy for this view from my nemisis. I was frustrated and incredulous that they did not halt the protest at this 'window' and raise their flags and march out victorious - a very foolish misjudgement (which i said at the time) - and before you all shout 'Thaksin'! he is a sideshow in the greater cultural roll-out that is happening - I don't care 'who' decided - it was a HUGE mistake which they paid dearly for. I was aghast at the stupidity of it - they had it in the grasp of their little red hands - and the blew it away...

EDIT: I see the software upgarde has NOT addressed this crazy 'you have quoted more than the allowed number of text blocks' I was hoping it would automatically delete the earlier ones - mai pen rai

It's been mentioned on other non-Thailand based news sites that Thaksin was the chief suspect pulling the strings in the background, to the point where Veera walked out apparently feeling much the same way you described.

The BPundit blog has an article listing other reasons the reds refused this offer, citing the crowd wanting revenge for the April 10th deaths. If there is any element of truth in this IMO it just goes to show how much the leaders had lost control of the supporters - one of the policies of whatever pro-red side that was elected could of been to punish whoever was responsible to the maximum degree.

(I'd post this on that blog but it doesn't let me and I really can't be bothered to chase it up)

In fact as was pointed out widely, especially in thai langauge media, Abhisit put many 'conditions' on the election date.

P.S. It wasn't only the thai language media that mentioned these conditions. What made you think that?

as was pointed out widely, especially in thai langauge media

"Pointed out widely, especially in " does not mean "only" .

Learning to use the quotes is not a major ordeal --- you find the first quote (lowest in the list) and delete it from the end of the quote bar through the first (bottom to top)

CMF --- you are playing the game that many of the reds on the board do --- you know that this is IN FACT about Thaksin but are attempting to make it something else. There are other issues about what will happen in the future for Thailand but that isn't WHY the elections/roadmap were refused by the reds. The guy paying the bills said ~ before October! or stick to the plan of putting so much blood on the streets that the current government cannot survive~

The other issues won't be decided on the streets at all ... only Thaksin's problems have ANY chance of being settled that way.

The reds (because of Thaksin) never had any intention of accepting anything even approaching Democracy --- instead they were pushing for blood. They never counted on Abhisit being peaceful --- patient --- tolerant -- and letting the Reds start the violence. Double standards? Yes! Abhisit always did plan not to make the mistakes of Samak and Somchai!

as was pointed out widely, especially in thai langauge media

"Pointed out widely, especially in " does not mean "only" .

Apologies. Badly worded on my part.

I should have said, from news print that i read anyway, it wasn't especially pointed out widely in thai language media - it was widely reported all over.

Thaksin lashes out at Anupong

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra Wednesday attacked the military for cracking down on the red shirts although his legal adviser Noppadon Patama suggested for a peace talk by all sides as an equal and without the government's domination.

In his Twitter message, Thaksin lashed out at Army chief Anupong Paochinda for serving Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban and causing much bloodshed.

"Just take good care of yourself before retirement by saving the money earned from the plight of the reds," he said, insinuating about Anupong's monetary rewards gained by crushing the red shirts.

He was critical of Anupong for turning his back on two administrations under Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat and choosing to back the Abhisit government.

Anupong tried to make up a shallow excuse for not dealing with the yellow shirts by saying Samak and Somchai did not involve the soldiers in the crowd control even though he was fully in charge of the then state of emergency, he said.

-- The Nation 2010-06-09

Thaksin very upset not only that he failed to buy Anupong but that his timetable for locking up the army re-appointments has gone south.

Top it up with a thinly veiled threat to the man who with Abhisit kicked Thaksin's boys out of Bangkok.

No love lost there from Montenegro boy.

Thaksin a side issue?

I do not think so.

Thaksin lashes out at Anupong

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra Wednesday attacked the military for cracking down on the red shirts although his legal adviser Noppadon Patama suggested for a peace talk by all sides as an equal and without the government's domination.

In his Twitter message, Thaksin lashed out at Army chief Anupong Paochinda for serving Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban and causing much bloodshed.

======================================================================================

Does it not look like Thaskin is grabbing at straws now

Because he did not win it is every body else fault

who will be next the Red shirt MP opposition or even his own family

Give it up Thaskin you are yesterdays News

Now is the beginning of tomorrow

A better Thailand I hope