If You Meet A Thai Person Overseas

GuestHouse

Prompted somewhat by Alobar's thread where he recounts meeting a couple of Thai people in NY and of course the perenial discussion on 'Do you acknowledge Farangs you meet in Thailand?'

How do you respond when you meet Thai people overseas?

Do you acknoledge them, greet them with a hello/sawadee or do you pointedly ignore them?

-------

If your one of the guys who stalk Thai women around supermarkets back home, don't be shy, let's hear about that too. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I acknowledge anyone that acknowledges me.

Have met thai overseas, usually they dont say much, especially those in HKG.

Met afew back home and I usually say a sawasdeekhap.

Had a conversation with a thai family on the frozen Rideau Canal one everning, it was -20c and they were giving their kids an opportunity to skate. Most usually ask me <deleted> am I doing choosing to live in BKK :)

One time, when in Melbourne I was waiting for a friend to pick me up in the inner city & a young couple stood nearby gazing into a city map, obviously suffering from a severe case of NFI (No Fekking Idea). Anyway, being the kind soul that I am :D , I asked them if they needed help. Their response was broken english @ which time I realised they were thai, so I asked them in thai if it would help if we spoke thai. To their relief I was able to point them in the right direction.

I remember being lost in Paris once & a very kind gentleman helped me there, almost the exact same sort of situation.

Anyway, I'm even now, won't help again :):D

I don't mean this as a sweeping generalization, just an incident: Not long ago I was standing in line at a Subway sandwich shop in Beijing and heard two ladies speaking Thai. I spoke to them in Thai, which they responded to for a bit, then stuck their noses in the air and turned their backs.

Hi-so, or hi-so wannabes, who remembered that I am farang kee-nok and reverted to form, even in a foreign country. Trying to play face games in a nation where the women are taller, whiter and intelligent (China). I don't know about the intelligent part with the two Thais I met, but they didn't hold a candle to the Chinese girls around them in line. And the Chinese girls are friendly in a wholesome way.

Edited by chaoyang

I have met Thai people, in Zurich, Tokyo, London, Singapore, Berlin.

All have been friendly, I like Thai people, they're a friendly bunch in general, makes a change from the many miserable Farangs.

Edited by GM1955

My wife's first Thai friend in Germany was working as a supermarket checkout girl.

Don't think that counts as stalking...

Edited by mahtin

I don't mean this as a sweeping generalization, just an incident: Not long ago I was standing in line at a Subway sandwich shop in Beijing and heard two ladies speaking Thai. I spoke to them in Thai, which they responded to for a bit, then stuck their noses in the air and turned their backs.

Hi-so, or hi-so wannabes, who remembered that I am farang kee-nok and reverted to form, even in a foreign country. Trying to play face games in a nation where the women are taller, whiter and intelligent (China). I don't know about the intelligent part with the two Thais I met, but they didn't hold a candle to the Chinese girls around them in line. And the Chinese girls are friendly in a wholesome way.

It also has to do with what accent we give off. For some it is clear where and from whom some of us have learnt our Thai.

On one of my first vists to Bangkok I had a friend who had picked up a lot of Thai as a result of a lot of something else he'd been picking up too...

I managed to get chatting to some uni girls when my friend rolls up, impresses them with his Thai, thier response was that he speaks Thai like a bar girl.

On Topic: No I don't acknowledge Thais in overseas or Foreigners in Thailand unless our paths cross for any particular reason. My reason being is that most of the time I'd prefer to keep myself to myself and assume others do too.

To be honest, anyone who comes up to me (unless they are asking for help) just to chat always appears a little freaky to me. A nod of the head is harmless enough and I have no issues acknowledging this, however doing this to a Thai overseas would probably also seem very weird to them.

Most young women hate being hit on by creepy older men. No offense.

I chuckled when I read Richard's post about Thais knowing where you learnt your Thai. My Thai language skills are limited and laughable but it hasn't stopped several people (on different occassions) from asking me if I was from Chiang Mai (... and I don't recall using any Northern-Thai specific words either)

I'm pleased to meet Thais when in Australia, though I don't go hunting for them. The vast majority that we encounter are nice folks. If they are introduced via my wife I usually roll out a cheery sawasdeekaap. If just in a shop (for eg.) then I generally just go about my business unless they look like they need help.

Have never, and I hope I never to meet a Thai ovrseas. I've pretty well had more than enough of them here thnks.

What a nasty remark to make.Shame on you!!!! :)

Almost on a par with the guy that said him and his mates consider 90% of the population to be morons. I thought that was just pathetic, whereas Barky, here, comes across as sad.

I was standing behind 2 Thai girls at an ATM in Sydney when their card popped out and they walked away looking puzzled. At Australian ATMs, after a transaction, the card comes out first, then the money. I walked up to the ATM just as $800 rolled out. I turned to the girls and asked them if they wanted their money. They were very polite and thankful, if, dare I say it, typically air-headed Thai girls.

Not sure if this was a good sign or not, but a few years back was visiting a buddy of mine in HK and he took me out to some of the more adventurous nightclubs / bars in the city.

Inside one of them at around 930pm and just ordered a beer and I get a tap on a shoulder from a Thai girl who said, James what are you doing here. :)

I can utterly assure you that I was not hitting on them. I was just being polite and wanted to again use my rusty Thai. You're response is so Thai as well ... everybody always has creepy motive, right?

I was working as the desk sergeant one day in my former life when an asian woman and what appeared to be her daughter came up to the desk and asked about a clearence letter for the older ones green card.

I recognized the accent as Lao and greeted her in Lao, and spoke a few sentences asking some questions. She looked horrified and scampered away rather quickly leaving the daughter standing there..

The daughter ( ?) asked me where I learned to speak Lao and I told her that some of my wife's family spoke Thai-Lao and I had learned it from them in Thailand.

I handed the girl the info she had asked for, but the older woman never came back up to the desk and gave me a really nasty look when she left...

gpd,

you should have shown her "the toombs!" then ashed her for some tea money. The ignorance of old people is tiresome. Nice that she left you her daughter to play with though...

I can utterly assure you that I was not hitting on them. I was just being polite and wanted to again use my rusty Thai. You're response is so Thai as well ... everybody always has creepy motive, right?

when random men speaking pigeon thai approach younger women, they find it creepy and assume u r hitting on them. they just figured, if we look the other way, hopefully he will leave us alone. :)

As much as I generally love living here. If I met a thai abroad and he behaved like many of the ones I have met here. I would give him a thick ear. Then get a few random blokes around to laugh at him with me. Then but my hand on his bum and smile while telling the random stranger how I was about to sell him something he didn't need that doesn't work for 5 times what its worth and at least twice what I'd have made them pay for it. Then I would offer him a sip of my newky brown ale. with dogs whiskers in it. After that I would call him a cab to take him where he wanted to go as long it stopped at the local dog pound where the driver would encourage somchai to give gernerously cos he is a rich foreigner. when he protested I would have the driver shout about how this was England if he doesn't like the culture he should get out.

when random men speaking pigeon thai approach younger women, they find it creepy and assume u r hitting on them. they just figured, if we look the other way, hopefully he will leave us alone. :)

Who cares? I would always be happy to leave you alone, don't worry. I just thought the two Thai (squat and unattractive) women might find it nice to hear someone speak Thai amid the sea of Chinese and English. I was most happy to forget all about them over the next 2-3 seconds.

...And I haven't thought about it since, except in response to the OP.

Have never, and I hope I never to meet a Thai ovrseas. I've pretty well had more than enough of them here thnks.

What a nasty remark to make.Shame on you!!!! :)

Almost on a par with the guy that said him and his mates consider 90% of the population to be morons. I thought that was just pathetic, whereas Barky, here, comes across as sad.

By way of Reason. Before coming to Thailand, I was like most, no negatives at all about Thais. In fact, like most, I didn't really know much about them. However, since then of course, I have had enough experiences and have gained sufficient information to come to the view that, in the main, Thais are too racist, xenophobic and discriminating for my liking. I put up with it here, but once out of Thailands boarders I don't and won't nor need to.

Last time I was back in Arizona, I was not sure if I should initiate a conversation in Spanish, English or Thai, they all look the same to me. The Thai give away was the hello you got in return.

well i work in Oman in the middle east, was on a beach trip, no body about, then a car full of thais rolls up, got chatting to them, turns out they were on holiday, out comes the whiskey and sodas, got on like a house on fire. if people are friendly thats great, if they a rude its there problem, i try to talk to anyone. :)