If You Meet A Thai Person Overseas

GuestHouse

I'm starting to think Chunky1 has issues :)

Indeed a bit chunky? Maybe irritated that no one hits on her so she is unable to snub them.

Yes, those were the kind of issues i was thinking of too!

Bin ouan mak mak mai? Some of my "pigeon Thai."

Actually, Chunky1, the term should be "pidgin" (a corrupted, often simplified form of a language), not "pigeon", which is a bird.

I am happy to see that some of the English teachers are actually qualified. Well done.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to see that some of the English teachers are actually qualified. Well done.

I'm not a teacher -- just a professional editor.

And there's nothing wrong with teachers.I remeber many of mine with respect.

:)

Have never, and I hope I never to meet a Thai ovrseas. I've pretty well had more than enough of them here thnks.
I have met Thai people, in Zurich, Tokyo, London, Singapore, Berlin.

All have been friendly, I like Thai people, they're a friendly bunch in general, makes a change from the many miserable Farangs.

:D

any Thai i have meet overseas are always polite usually in supermarket.

I'm not a teacher -- just a professional editor.

And there's nothing wrong with teachers.I remeber many of mine with respect.

Time for a career change then chaoyang mate. :)

I have met Thai people, in Zurich, Tokyo, London, Singapore, Berlin.

All have been friendly, I like Thai people, they're a friendly bunch in general, makes a change from the many miserable Farangs.

Who are you calling bloody miserable? :)

Most young women hate being hit on by creepy older men. No offense.

I can utterly assure you that I was not hitting on them. I was just being polite and wanted to again use my rusty Thai. You're response is so Thai as well ... everybody always has creepy motive, right?

Yes I absolutely hate that mentality. A year ago a friend and I came accross 2 thai girls sitting alone in the lobby of his apartment building. We heard them speaking thai, so we said hello in thai with friendly tone, along with sabai dee mai. being nice etc, we're not old, in our 20s, and well dressed etc. Anyway to our amazement they very bluntly told us to "just go away" lol, we looked at each other in disbelief to their rude answer, so we were getting ready to leave the precious little princesses be, but I felt I had to say something else as I thought this is unacceptable behaviour by a 'foreigner' in my country, had the roles being reversed and I was in Thailand and someone said 'hello how are you' to me in English, I wouldn't dream or think to say what these two rude girls said to us, so I simply said to them, 'Why don't you go back to Thailand, as rude people like you are not welcome in this country" I will add I had a bit to drink at this point, anyway they said nothing and we walked off. There is simply no need for rudeness, especially since we were being very nice, and cautious in our approach. p.s i know what I said was probably not right, but they deserved it, and it was spur of the moment, as I was still shocked from their reply.

How do you respond when you meet Thai people overseas?

Do you acknoledge them, greet them with a hello/sawadee or do you pointedly ignore them?

Sure if I know they are Thai I will ask Koon bpen kon Thai? And enjoy a short conversation with them.

But it is not easy to know they are Thai by looking. Many nationalities in the world.

So I only ask that if someone tells me or I overhear thai being spoken.

So not the same thing as seeing falangs in LOS..... I mean that is obvious :)

Edited by flying

I can't remeber. :)

Ya I was typing fast and made a typo, mate. Didn't take care to proof read or use any form of spell check. Didn't realize it was such a discerning audience; in fact I was under the impression it was quite the contrary, mate, judging by many of the posts.

By the way, mate, do you have any contribution to make, or are you one of those who just lurk around to snipe at people -- complete with those ridiculous, smarmy icons?

QUOTE (chaoyang @ 2010-06-01 15:36:45) QUOTE (Chunky1 @ 2010-06-01 15:23:00) Most young women hate being hit on by creepy older men. No offense.

I can utterly assure you that I was not hitting on them. I was just being polite and wanted to again use my rusty Thai. You're response is so Thai as well ... everybody always has creepy motive, right?

Yes I absolutely hate that mentality.<snip>

But after thinking a bit more about it -- if one encountered a couple of young US women, in say France, and went up to speak American, the reaction might be the same.

Still, it is not rude to talk politely to strangers. I for one will not go out of my way to speak to Thais in a foreign country again. Didn't have much to talk to them about when I lived there, so why would that suddenly change because we both happen to be in a foreign country ...

The wai is, by and large, a uniquely Thai greeting. It is though, very similar to some greetings in Cambodia and India.

Therefore, I view a wai as suitable for Thais greeting each other, but not for me.

Shaking hands, and looking one in the face, is the form of greeting I use, irrespective of who I'm meeting.