If You Meet A Thai Person Overseas

GuestHouse

I was in Beijing, touring the Forbidden City and stopped to rest a bit and began watching the Chinese tour groups parade by, mostly dour looks on their faces and not very animated. Then I say this group of smiling asians comming my way. They were obviously have a great time and were chatting happily among them selves, when I discovered that I could understand them, they were Thai!

I greated them and they adopted me like an old lost relative. We took the obligatory group photos and then the 20 questions on why I could speak some Thai. (I think my Thai is terrible but they were being polite :) )

Nice people and a great memory :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a farm market a while ago on one of my visits back to the UK.

There was a Thai lady there selling Thai food so I ordered some and got chatting in my limited Thai.

She was very friendly, asked after my wife, how I enjoyed living in Thailand and finally insisted that the food was free!

Most young women hate being hit on by creepy older men. No offense.

I can utterly assure you that I was not hitting on them. I was just being polite and wanted to again use my rusty Thai. You're response is so Thai as well ... everybody always has creepy motive, right?

when random men speaking pigeon thai approach younger women, they find it creepy and assume u r hitting on them. they just figured, if we look the other way, hopefully he will leave us alone. :D

Who cares? I would always be happy to leave you alone, don't worry. I just thought the two Thai (squat and unattractive) women might find it nice to hear someone speak Thai amid the sea of Chinese and English.

Yeah, I am sure it was the cherry on their sundae. :)

Most of Thailadies in Switzerland, work in the redlight district (I not say all, but most) BTW, it's legal overthere to do that job. They are "indoor" peaple. So it's hard to see them on the streets. They usually not go outside their houses, if it's not necessary, unless they shopping in some Thai food shops, or the local supermarket. But they allways very suprised when i speak some Thai with them.

Have never, and I hope I never to meet a Thai ovrseas. I've pretty well had more than enough of them here thnks.

What a nasty remark to make.Shame on you!!!! :)

Almost on a par with the guy that said him and his mates consider 90% of the population to be morons. I thought that was just pathetic, whereas Barky, here, comes across as sad.

By way of Reason. Before coming to Thailand, I was like most, no negatives at all about Thais. In fact, like most, I didn't really know much about them. However, since then of course, I have had enough experiences and have gained sufficient information to come to the view that, in the main, Thais are too racist, xenophobic and discriminating for my liking. I put up with it here, but once out of Thailands boarders I don't and won't nor need to.

barky, with such a negative view of Thais, I have to question why you are in Thailand at all. Is it because you are able to make a buck off them and their country? The airports are open and planes leave daily for the rest of the world and yet, you are still here.

As for Thais being "too racist, xenophobic and discriminating for my liking," have you been to New York City or Dallas or the hinterlands of the US lately? I've been treated worse in my own country than I ever have been in Thailand, or the rest of Asia for that matter.

I, for one, am looking forward to my permanent relocation to Thailand. I hate those long flights.

Where I live we get a lot of Thai package tourists. They are easily recognised by their little name tags, matching hats, only people wearing life vests on the boats etc. Usually I wave to them knowing everybody will wave back. It amuses me how out of place and dorky they always look. I don't have anything against them it is all in good fun.

The next time somebody says you should try to fit in and observe Thai cultures when in Thailand look at how they go out of their way to fit in when they travel. This isn't specific to Thais though as many other Asians do the same thing in the west. There is nothing wrong with that travelers and immigrants always like to bring some of the comforts of their own countries with them. That is human nature and normal.

Edited by anotheruser

Yeah, I am sure it was the cherry on their sundae. :)

You are a snide one aren't you? Thankfully you and I have no reason to communicate.

Perhaps the two Thai ladies at the Subway Sandwich shop in Beijing indeed felt a bit threatened -- but not by me. After all they no longer have the edge in language/culture to make them feel superior, so I imagine in general they were feeling a bit vulnerable.

How many times have we heard from Thais how bad it is to eat at Western fast food joints instead of the local cuisine? Perhaps they were feeling a bit guilty as that's exactly what they were doing. At any rate, it doesn't matter. I'm sure they had better things to worry about than my attempts at "pigeon Thai."

I do have to admit that I didn't mind watching their apparent discomfort as they were the fish out of water this time -- compounded by the fact the Chinese don't quite know what on earth to make out of an Asian that isn't Chinese (except for Japanese people). I think they consider them some brand of ethnic minority group.

Edited by chaoyang

I do have to admit that I didn't mind watching their apparent discomfort as they were the fish out of water this time -- compounded by the fact the Chinese don't quite know what on earth to make out of an Asian that isn't Chinese (except for Japanese people). I think they consider them some brand of ethnic minority group.

Well technically they are an ethnic group in southern China called the "Tai" with a similar language and culture as the Thais that we know.

obviosly here i always will say hi... but then they all start telling me how horrible their employers are , or if i can find a better job for them, or if i travelled in thailand and have i been to chiang mai (no) and do i like thai food and if i eat spicey (yes)... so recently i started playing 'dumb' when i go in to hothouses/packing houses or other agricultural areas with lots of thais. hubby also hates it when i start up in thai first. he generally likes to trot me out along the lines of '... she understands thai gheng maak' once he has got in to the conversation. the thai workers in restruants tend to not answer me or look to husband for translation , or they ignore all together. some thai snobbism here. thai husband ignores other thais here unless they are friends of friends and often it is me that will point out ' those guys on the tractor over there are thai, wanna say hi?' he usually doesnt want to engage.

once, in the center of town, we saw a whole group of asians that we thought were maybe thai, although they didnt have the 'thai agri worker' look/dress. anyhow, we followed them , caught up to them, hubby sort of calling out sawadee krap, krap. they all turned around and lo and behold, they were 'filipinos'....

ya never know..

bina

israel

'

No, for me being brought up in a city I am not used to approaching

somebody just because of the country they are from. Grew up in London

and its so multicultural and I am used to differnet nationalities. Now in

Wales so my state of mind might change or mellow.

My Thai girl is coming back to UK permantely in July. She visited here last

year. I think she is happy to hear her own language being spoke but

is not over enthusiastic about talking to somebody just because they are

Thai. She is not a highly nationally proud lady anyway.

Can be a bit of a lucky dip this one. I've never gone up to a thai and just started rambling in thai to them, but I have asked them "excuse me, you thai?" and depending on the answer and, take it from there. Naturally, if I see a thai lost or struggling with something, then yes, I'll dive in, but more often than not, you do see a bit snobbery, in the UK anyway. When I have come across some intense snobs, after my more than friendly and polite efforts, well....you just gotta <deleted>*k em' off with your best thai, whilst reminding them that their hi-so <deleted> just doesn't play in the UK.

Most young women hate being hit on by creepy older men. No offense.

I can utterly assure you that I was not hitting on them. I was just being polite and wanted to again use my rusty Thai. You're response is so Thai as well ... everybody always has creepy motive, right?

when random men speaking pigeon thai approach younger women, they find it creepy and assume u r hitting on them. they just figured, if we look the other way, hopefully he will leave us alone. :D

Who cares? I would always be happy to leave you alone, don't worry. I just thought the two Thai (squat and unattractive) women might find it nice to hear someone speak Thai amid the sea of Chinese and English. I was most happy to forget all about them over the next 2-3 seconds.

...And I haven't thought about it since, except in response to the OP.

I'm starting to think Chunky1 has issues :)

Indeed a bit chunky? Maybe irritated that no one hits on her so she is unable to snub them.

Yes, those were the kind of issues i was thinking of too!

Indeed a bit chunky? Maybe irritated that no one hits on her so she is unable to snub them.

Yes, those were the kind of issues i was thinking of too!

Bin ouan mak mak mai? Some of my "pigeon Thai."

Actually, Chunky1, the term should be "pidgin" (a corrupted, often simplified form of a language), not "pigeon", which is a bird.

Having travelled extensively I will always try and speak a few words (if able) in someone's native language. I've yet to have any adverse reaction in doing so (aside of much amusement at my mangled attempts) and usually people are very positive. It's usually the start of many a fine night at the bar. :)

Having travelled extensively I will always try and speak a few words (if able) in someone's native language. I've yet to have any adverse reaction in doing so (aside of much amusement at my mangled attempts) and usually people are very positive. It's usually the start of many a fine night at the bar. :D

Ever been to France? :)

Having travelled extensively I will always try and speak a few words (if able) in someone's native language. I've yet to have any adverse reaction in doing so (aside of much amusement at my mangled attempts) and usually people are very positive. It's usually the start of many a fine night at the bar. :)

If You Meet A Thai Person Overseas, Do you acknowledge / say hello/sawadee? Meaning the Thai person was not in Thailand.

If You Meet A Thai Person Overseas, Do you acknowledge / say hello/sawadee? Meaning the Thai person was not in Thailand.

Sorry, if my response was a bit unclear.

Irrespective of which country I am in or to whom I am speaking, if they are not native to that country I will always endeavour to speak in that person's language if I am able to.

So if I meet a Thai person outside of Thailand, of course I shall try to use my meagre knowledge of Thai to greet them or ask how they are. It's the same for any nationality and I have never had any problem or attitude to date.

And yes, I have also spoken French outside of France and likewise spoken to foreigners in France who were not French. Why would anyone take offence at you making the effort to be friendly? Reading some of the posts here it seems that there have been such incidents, but never in my experience yet.

Am I the only one to think that if I bumped into a Thai wandering around Euro Disney, that chances are I wouldn't need to try to impress them with my limited Thai language abilities?

Parle vous Farangset Mai?

Am I the only one to think that if I bumped into a Thai wandering around Euro Disney, that chances are I wouldn't need to try to impress them with my limited Thai language abilities?

En petit peu.

Sure, there is a time and place for everything but if you've got an hour to wait in a queue then making conversation is entirely possible.